Author Topic: ANS10 - Spoilers  (Read 309361 times)

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
ANS10 - Spoilers
« on: November 21, 2012, 06:40:17 PM »
Check out the Beckett preview to see nine ANS10 titles:

http://www.beckett.com/news/2012/11/first-look-wacky-packages-all-new-series-10/

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
Re: ANS10 - Spoilers
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 06:54:47 PM »
wow. really stunned to see ANS10 so soon.

hope they fix that typo on pillsburied (resuscitated).
photoshop can fix most ills, but it's better to just get it right with the paint.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 08:24:47 PM »
Check out the Beckett preview to see nine ANS10 titles:

http://www.beckett.com/news/2012/11/first-look-wacky-packages-all-new-series-10/

Thank you Fred for the link, Bring on ANS 10.

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 12:47:07 PM »
Wow, that was quick.

Some really clever ones here: Mimecraft is HILARIOUS! Chocolate Crypt and Milk Deads are also excellent. Some great gags/art just in this little glimpse -- impressed!

BTW, what is a "Collector's Edition" pack? And "buybacks"? Interesting one Ludlow per case, too.

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 03:54:11 PM »
Wow, that was quick.

Some really clever ones here: Mimecraft is HILARIOUS! Chocolate Crypt and Milk Deads are also excellent. Some great gags/art just in this little glimpse -- impressed!

BTW, what is a "Collector's Edition" pack? And "buybacks"? Interesting one Ludlow per case, too.

I'll tell you what Collector's Packs are Porkie ---- Just another way for Topps to suck more $$$ out of your wallet.     :o

Offline dth1971

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 04:13:49 PM »
I noticed the 9 ANS10 entries with some questions on them:
* Was Pampered a bonus card with a previous Wacky Package postcard set but a different design even since it spoofs Pampers?
* What does Mimecraft spoof?
* Also: There's going to be a AS SCREAMED ON TV subset with ANS10? Will this be a spoof of TV shows in DVD season sets Wacky Package style?

I hope to see an ANS10 pleminary checklist before Christmas, these ANS10 spoilers/sneak peeks are a Thanksgiving Day surprise even as we pre-order on ShopTopps.com our Wacky Packages Old School 4 boxes!

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 08:44:50 AM »
I noticed the 9 ANS10 entries with some questions on them:
* Was Pampered a bonus card with a previous Wacky Package postcard set but a different design even since it spoofs Pampers?
* Also: There's going to be a AS SCREAMED ON TV subset with ANS10? Will this be a spoof of TV shows in DVD season sets Wacky Package style?
1. if you're asking, I'm sure you already know the answer is yes - there was a Pampered TS14 bonus card in postcards 8. Not the first time a product has been spoofed more than once, though maybe the first time done nearly identically. Even has the same '4 million dollar income required' tagline.
2. Mimes and their hated art form
3. DVD sets? No. Oddball, ridiculous merchandise that's sold late at night? Yes.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 11:43:48 AM »

This is the closest match I could find:

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 01:15:34 PM »
art imitates life?

I like the Newts and Adders spoof, as it's a nice play on words.
And just discovered this weekend after seeing some games my nephew had, that Chutes and Ladders is just the American variation of the original game - which is Snakes and Ladders.
Funny how it's gone full circle. An ouroboros in a way.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 06:07:14 PM »
Good luck putting the Ludlow set together. This is just crazy
"Wacky Packages Series 10 will also feature buybacks, Ludlow commemorative sticker backs (fall at a rate of one per case) and exclusive “Lucky Wacky’s.”

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 08:49:41 PM »
Good luck putting the Ludlow set together. This is just crazy
"Wacky Packages Series 10 will also feature buybacks, Ludlow commemorative sticker backs (fall at a rate of one per case) and exclusive “Lucky Wacky’s.”

someone just might be crazy enough to put a set of ludlows together.  What constitutes a buyback?  that is a term I am not sure on what Topp's is meaning.

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 09:28:51 PM »
What constitutes a buyback?  that is a term I am not sure on what Topp's is meaning.
my understanding is that they are just cards from an older release inserted into packs from a new release.
with sports cards, sometimes the manufacturer will get the cards autographed to make them a worthwhile incentive.

I really hope topps is getting signatures or doing something else, and not just dumping a bunch of leftover ANS cards into these packs

original series or die cuts would be pretty cool too
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 09:30:39 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 09:52:42 AM »
At one per case aren't the odds on the Ludlows better then we've been seeing for the ANS golds?

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 11:07:08 AM »
my understanding is that they are just cards from an older release inserted into packs from a new release.

Some ANS 10 packs might have older ANS stickers in them? 

I'm confused (not your fault, I was born that way)

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 03:57:15 PM »
Some ANS 10 packs might have older ANS stickers in them?  

I'm confused (not your fault, I was born that way)

yep. that's my understanding of 'buy back' cards from what I've read on the net.

usually the company (topps, upper deck, etc.) will do something special to the card - like get the baseball player to autograph the card and include a COA as proof, or simply put a foil stamp on it to show that it was packed in a newer set.
sometimes they don't do anything at all to the card, and there's no evidence that it's anything unique.

here's an old Superman 3 card that was put into the Topps American Pie set as a 'buyback'

I think the term indicates a company went out and 'bought back' old cards from dealers (or elsewhere) for use in a new set.  
It could also really mean that topps had stacks of old ANS they need to get rid of, and instead of throwing them out, they are putting them into ANS10 packs and calling them something special.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 04:02:02 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline dth1971

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2012, 06:53:42 PM »
yep. that's my understanding of 'buy back' cards from what I've read on the net.

usually the company (topps, upper deck, etc.) will do something special to the card - like get the baseball player to autograph the card and include a COA as proof, or simply put a foil stamp on it to show that it was packed in a newer set.
sometimes they don't do anything at all to the card, and there's no evidence that it's anything unique.

here's an old Superman 3 card that was put into the Topps American Pie set as a 'buyback'

I think the term indicates a company went out and 'bought back' old cards from dealers (or elsewhere) for use in a new set.  
It could also really mean that topps had stacks of old ANS they need to get rid of, and instead of throwing them out, they are putting them into ANS10 packs and calling them something special.

(Image removed from quote.)

Too bad the Topps American Pie series didn't include any Wacky Packages buyback cards.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2012, 08:04:22 PM »

I’m trying to take this new angle seriously and not laugh, but, like you, I’m skeptical. I’m having a tough time imagining Topps buying back stock from dealers.

I wish they'd have called them, "Bonus Overstock Stickers" or maybe “Hashbacks”

Offline dth1971

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2012, 06:42:53 AM »
I’m trying to take this new angle seriously and not laugh, but, like you, I’m skeptical. I’m having a tough time imagining Topps buying back stock from dealers.

Why HASHBACKS?

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 08:52:02 AM »
Why HASHBACKS?

I took it as a play on words on "FLASHBACK" since the FLASHBACK series was a rehashing of the original series titles, inserting older series cards in, OS4 would be yet another way to rehash titles again. Maybe they should be called REHASHBACKS.

I really hope there is more too it than simply giving us cards we already probably have, just with a TOPPS gold logo emblazened on the front. I am sure I am being a pessimist and it will be something really ultra-cool, right?  :-\
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2012, 11:06:41 AM »

I sure hope it's a lot more exciting than regular ANS stickers.

Offline chickenfat2010

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2012, 11:13:16 AM »
I took it as a play on words on "FLASHBACK" since the FLASHBACK series was a rehashing of the original series titles, inserting older series cards in, OS4 would be yet another way to rehash titles again. Maybe they should be called REHASHBACKS.

I really hope there is more too it than simply giving us cards we already probably have, just with a TOPPS gold logo emblazened on the front. I am sure I am being a pessimist and it will be something really ultra-cool, right?  :-\
If I get a 1967 Ratz die-cut as a Buyback in my upcoming wacky pack pack it better not have a Topps gold logo emblazened on the front of it!

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2012, 12:31:43 PM »
buybacks sounds like more $$$ to me... ;)

Offline dth1971

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2012, 02:56:13 PM »
If I get a 1967 Ratz die-cut as a Buyback in my upcoming wacky pack pack it better not have a Topps gold logo emblazened on the front of it!

Maybe Topps found a lost 1967 Cracked Animals as a buyback...

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2012, 03:37:06 PM »
I sure hope it's a lot more exciting than regular ANS stickers.

How about a Howard the Duck card with a gold Wacky Packages logo stamped on the front?

Offline paste_anyplace

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2012, 09:17:03 AM »
1. if you're asking, I'm sure you already know the answer is yes - there was a Pampered TS14 bonus card in postcards 8. Not the first time a product has been spoofed more than once, though maybe the first time done nearly identically. Even has the same '4 million dollar income required' tagline.

Didja notice that the file name for the Pampered image on the Beckett site starts with "WPPC8"?

There was another case of two very similar titles with the same name developed all the way to the painting stage for Postcards 8. A combination of "great minds think alike" and some miscommunication, I think. Assuming that all goes as planned you will see the other example as part of ANS10, and like Pampered you'll know it when you see it.

Offline paste_anyplace

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2012, 10:40:21 AM »
Fred, thanks that's amazing info.  In addition to the inserts discussed before it mentions autos and printing plates.  Is that accurate?  It seems like way too many inserts based on past sets.  The return of red Ludlows is very cool.  This looks to be like a very expensive series for completists.  
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 08:30:26 PM by vfx2g »

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2012, 11:00:52 AM »
Fred, thanks that's amazing info.  In addition to the inserts discussed before it mentions autos and printing plates.  Is that accurate?  It seems like way too many inserts based on past sets.  The return of red Ludlows is very cool.  This looks to be like a very expensive series for completests. 
Wow, exspensive is the correct word.  I am hoping that with the ludlows there won't be as many packsearcher that can see that they are special cards.  I hope that Topps does something to throw off the Pack searchers because it is fun to go to target and buy packs.  However with the cards all searched, I refuse to buy from them.  I don't want this to turn into a pack searchers thread, I am just hoping that someone from Topps or Target reads this and actually does something.  Since the Retail price went up .50 maybe Blister packs or what Toys R US did in the cardboard.  I vote blister packs.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2012, 11:09:46 AM »
Fred, thanks that's amazing info.  In addition to the inserts discussed before it mentions autos and printing plates.  Is that accurate?  It seems like way too many inserts based on past sets.  The return of red Ludlows is very cool.  This looks to be like a very expensive series for completests. 
I also was wondering where to buy the collectors edition cases, as opposed from the hobby edition cases.  Anyone heard the best place for them?

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2012, 11:39:19 AM »
Wow, expensive is the correct word.  I am hoping that with the ludlows there won't be as many packsearcher that can see that they are special cards.  I hope that Topps does something to throw off the Pack searchers because it is fun to go to target and buy packs.  However with the cards all searched, I refuse to buy from them.  I don't want this to turn into a pack searchers thread, I am just hoping that someone from Topps or Target reads this and actually does something.  Since the Retail price went up .50 maybe Blister packs or what Toys R US did in the cardboard.  I vote blister packs.
I believe I may sit out this release and just buy some sort of mini master set from someone here on the forum or off fee-Bay. For me, this solves the problem of pack searchers although, at the same time, it saddens me a little to know I won't be cracking any packs.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2012, 12:18:14 PM »
I believe I may sit out this release and just buy some sort of mini master set from someone here on the forum or off fee-Bay. For me, this solves the problem of pack searchers although, at the same time, it saddens me a little to know I won't be cracking any packs.

Same here. Especially since the hobby packs which seem to have better insert odds (if I'm understanding correctly) are $5/pack!

Also... "cloth sticker parallels"?!?!?!

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2012, 12:38:58 PM »
If it wasn't for the enjoyment that I recieve cracking open packs hoping to hit the sketch card lottery.  I would do the same  ( just buy sets),  However I am addicted to the ever present odds that my pack might be that special one!

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2012, 02:40:00 PM »
to me, it all sounds very exciting.

Sure, potentially a bit pricey, but this is the 10th anniversary series on ANS, after all!

Bring 'em on!

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2012, 02:56:54 PM »

How about a Howard the Duck card with a gold Wacky Packages logo stamped on the front?

Can you imagine the auction description?!   

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2012, 03:25:52 PM »
Man, $70 a box for 14 packs is crazy. There are a lot of inserts but completing the Ludlows will be very tough. I will wait until they go down in price on ebay. People are probably going to want $100 each initially and the Reds will probably be $200-$300.

anything