Author Topic: 1st Series blank box with yellow printing ?  (Read 2993 times)

Offline PG Lips

1st Series blank box with yellow printing ?
« on: November 19, 2012, 05:12:26 PM »
Found this odd looking 1st series box on ebay eBay auction: #221156029040 a legit error or an intended variation ?

Offline Kook

Re: 1st Series blank box with yellow printing ?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 05:22:24 PM »
Found this odd looking 1st series box on ebay eBay auction: #221156029040 a legit error or an intended variation ?

My guess is it's not an error, but a production proof missing a color plate. It is also missing the diecut in the lid, and it appears to be hand folded. I think someone got a printed production sheet and cut out the box and folded it up.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 06:10:13 PM »
as Kook said - the answer is neither.
it's a piece of a production proof sheet with only yellow and black, and missing magenta and cyan, and then hand cut and folded to make a box.
as the auction says - never circulated or contained wackys

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 07:20:31 PM »
as Kook said - the answer is neither.
it's a piece of a production proof sheet with only yellow and black, and missing magenta and cyan, and then hand cut and folded to make a box.
as the auction says - never circulated or contained wackys
Correct, I had one of the sheets of these(not sure how many sheets there were but I believe there was one other).  I had these cut up and folded by someone who seems to have high skills with doing this correctly as they came out perfect.  All flaws on the boxes already existed when these were in sheet form as the sheets were probably not stored with care.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline PG Lips

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 03:52:50 AM »
Correct, I had one of the sheets of these(not sure how many sheets there were but I believe there was one other).  I had these cut up and folded by someone who seems to have high skills with doing this correctly as they came out perfect.  All flaws on the boxes already existed when these were in sheet form as the sheets were probably not stored with care.

Thanks for all the info, I think a single colour box is very interesting - just not sure if it's $99.99 worth. I would have thought the proof sheets would be more valuable if left unfolded?  Unfolded a full set of proofs (cyan, yellow, magenta, and black) could be framed for display around the resulting series 1 purple box.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 06:51:13 AM »
Thanks for all the info, I think a single colour box is very interesting - just not sure if it's $99.99 worth. I would have thought the proof sheets would be more valuable if left unfolded?  Unfolded a full set of proofs (cyan, yellow, magenta, and black) could be framed for display around the resulting series 1 purple box.

This isn't a proof as such...As the others pointed out; it's just a partial-plate run-off kind of thing from the printer.  Printed on regular box stock.  So I'm pretty sure that there never was a sheet like this for each color plate. 

There was a pretty big find of old printed unscored box sheets at defunct printers (some partial-plate, many full color), as the mythology goes, that turned up a lot of these.  Either they were stored poorly by the person who first retrieved them, or they were stored poorly there.  Some had bird droppings on them and other were chewed up by animals. But within them were some great vintage Topps pieces.  

The problem with these uncut box sheets was their size - so many of them were folded and cut down for storage - though seeing one cut down and folded into box form is unusual from my experience.  

I am fortunate to have quite a number of candy and gum display boxes from this same origin story.  Here is one that only has the Cyan/Black plates, similar to this Wacky box:

Topps - Monster Gumsters Bubble Gum box flat - Universal Monsters - 1970s by JasonLiebig, on Flickr
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 07:00:05 AM by JasonLiebig »
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline gumby8691

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 05:34:06 PM »

I love the seller's description: "Everything else as sharp & clean as the day it was made in 1973!" Which is followed immediately by, "Box does have some damage!"
Reminds me of a Simpsons episode.