Author Topic: WP Old School 4 - SPOILERS  (Read 43647 times)

Offline quas

Re: Old School 4
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2012, 08:01:06 PM »
I noticed a variation with the baseball subset. Two different color borders. Anyone else see this.

There are red, blue, green, and orange.  Haven't yet seen the other two "possibilities" of yellow or magenta.
Marc

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
Re: OLDS 4 (Spoilers)
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2012, 08:28:04 PM »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2012, 04:53:56 AM »
maybe Brad can move all the spoilers to the spoilers thread, or maybe nobody really cares?

I was certainly trying to post in the spoiler thread, hope I didn't screw up.

I'm having a lot of fun with this series.  Love the baseball cards, and now we can avoid the glut of puzzles that happened with Old School 3.  I've killed 2 boxes so far.  Each yielded a complete puzzle, and one of every new sticker title (mixed backs).  I didn't complete the baseball cards until the second to last pack in the second box, when I finally pulled a Blunder Bread.  I have blue and red Weakies, no green yet.  Haven't found a checklist for the packs subset like there was for the 1967 subset last time - is there one?

Some great new titles in the set!  Not sure yet on my favorite, but Count Chalkula is a leading contender.  Battleaxe is fantastic, too.

Oh, and from what I got in my two boxes, there aren't ludlow variations for each title like last time, so we may not be trading based upon a count of camel feet.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 05:11:45 AM by RawGoo »

Offline Paul_Maul

Re: WP Old School 4 - SPOILERS
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2012, 05:43:59 AM »
Lots of things in this series I love....obviously the "unopened pack" stickers (which is what they really are, not just wrappers). Also, as a collector of the 1972 baseball set (which is what the baseball wackys are patterned on) I dig those as well.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2012, 05:45:23 AM »
Oh, and from what I got in my two boxes, there aren't ludlow variations for each title like last time, so we may not be trading based upon a count of camel feet.

Awwww! I thought that was kinda fun. Actually, I'm kinda glad they left it as a one-time thing. Sounds like there are other challanges for the brave collector on this series.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline quas

« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2012, 05:47:59 AM »
Awwww! I thought that was kinda fun. Actually, I'm kinda glad they left it as a one-time thing. Sounds like there are other challanges for the brave collector on this series.

I've opened 5 boxes and was not able to complete a set of Ludlows or whites.  The whites and Ludlows are equally scarce since there is only one in each pack versus 2 tans.  That's one challenge!
Marc

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2012, 06:26:35 AM »
Lots of things in this series I love....obviously the "unopened pack" stickers (which is what they really are, not just wrappers). Also, as a collector of the 1972 baseball set (which is what the baseball wackys are patterned on) I dig those as well.

Even rock bands know the 1972 baseball set looks cool!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2012, 07:23:06 AM »
There are red, blue, green, and orange.  Haven't yet seen the other two "possibilities" of yellow or magenta.

Do you think the orange is really rare? Anyone else pull an orange border? It's hard to tell with people only opening a few initial boxes. I have 18 boxes coming in today and will relay my results.
It would be cool if there are a couple really tough variations. I don't know if I'm going to be as anal and collect Ludlow variations this time...LOL

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2012, 07:36:31 AM »
Do you think the orange is really rare? Anyone else pull an orange border? It's hard to tell with people only opening a few initial boxes. I have 18 boxes coming in today and will relay my results.
It would be cool if there are a couple really tough variations. I don't know if I'm going to be as anal and collect Ludlow variations this time...LOL

Did you drink the Koolaid? Only someone who has 18 boxes coming in today would say, "It would be cool if there are a couple really tough variations"           :P

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2012, 07:44:25 AM »
Did you drink the Koolaid? Only someone who has 18 boxes coming in today would say, "It would be cool if there are a couple really tough variations"           :P

Remember, I'm a sketch collector too so It's cheaper to buy $50 boxes and hopefully get some good pulls than to pay $100's for sketches on ebay. You also have better odds of pulling color. I sure hope I get at least one today.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2012, 08:11:03 AM »
I pulled a green Weakies in the first pack of my 5th box.  Only red and blue up until that.  I really like these Wacky baseball cards - the combination of the design from the baseball cards combined with Wackys I remember from the same time is just so cool!

Also took until the 5th box to pull a grocery bag logo sticker or series 5 promo sticker with other than a tan back.  These appear to be tough in white and ludlow backs.

Update - got an orange Weakies from my 6th box, and an extra sketch card envelope in my 7th box!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 08:45:49 AM by RawGoo »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2012, 09:57:52 AM »
I got an orange and Blue Weakies in my first box. Not sure what is rare or not.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2012, 10:47:06 AM »

So far out of 5 boxes I have pulled 4 blue, 2 orange, & 1 green.

Offline chipereno

« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2012, 12:06:01 PM »
Just an FYI  - There are Lud variations on this run.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2012, 12:16:45 PM »
Just an FYI  - There are Lud variations on this run.

Great! >:D

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2012, 01:44:53 PM »
And, the series 16 wrapper seems discolored. 

Pat, are you sure you're not talking about the 8th series pack sticker? I just saw them on ebay, the 16th looks fine to me, but the 8th definitely looks off. The red areas look way too orange.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2012, 01:50:33 PM »
Pat, are you sure you're not talking about the 8th series pack sticker? I just saw them on ebay, the 16th looks fine to me, but the 8th definitely looks off. The red areas look way too orange.

The 8th is too orange, but what I was mentioning was the blue tinted area at the top left of the 16th pack.  Maybe the printing process accentuated that?  Don't know.  But, I think it is awesome to have these stickers of packs!!  Must be an amazing feeling to have contributed to the set like you did!!  Thanks for making the pack subset possible!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2012, 01:57:25 PM »
The 8th is too orange, but what I was mentioning was the blue tinted area at the top left of the 16th pack.  Maybe the printing process accentuated that?  Don't know.  But, I think it is awesome to have these stickers of packs!!  Must be an amazing feeling to have contributed to the set like you did!!  Thanks for making the pack subset possible!

I see what you're talking about now. That's caused by the fact that the gum is behind part of it, but not all of it. The gum is behind the word "stickers", but not the word "Wacky", which makes it look bluer in the area without the gum behind it.

Yes, it was fun to have a few of my packs immortalized! And if there was ever a subset to get me excited about a new series, this is it!

Offline quas

« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2012, 02:04:32 PM »
Does anyone know what is being parodied with "atomic fur ball"?  I figured out the 10 others I did not recognize at first. Thanks.

Atomic FireBall

http://www.oldtimecandy.com/atomic-fire-balls.htm
Marc

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2012, 02:06:34 PM »
OK, just opened 15 boxes of packs and I'm beat...LOL
Weakie count

16 -Blue
9 - Orange
4- Green
0 - Red

These red ones are going to be tough.

Offline quas

« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2012, 02:13:18 PM »
Weakie count

16 -Blue
9 - Orange
4- Green
0 - Red

I just listed a set of all 4 on ebay, opening bid one cent.
Marc

Offline Final Step

« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2012, 02:18:21 PM »
Atomic FireBall

http://www.oldtimecandy.com/atomic-fire-balls.htm

Thank you. I had just found it on the Internet too.

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2012, 02:31:16 PM »
I love the baseball card inserts! Scary Lee in particular is just too awesome! Who did the artwork on these?

As for Weakies, I got 6 blue, 4 red, none of the others.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2012, 02:35:57 PM »
I love the baseball card inserts! Scary Lee in particular is just too awesome! Who did the artwork on these?

Out of two boxes I got 2 blue, 1 Red , 1 Green....  so I guess I need an Orange

Andrew

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2012, 02:37:13 PM »

I'm having a lot of fun with this series.  Love the baseball cards, and now we can avoid the glut of puzzles that happened with Old School 3. 

That certainly won't be a problem. It looks like only 2 puzzle sets for every 3 sticker sets now.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2012, 02:53:56 PM »
That certainly won't be a problem. It looks like only 2 puzzle sets for every 3 sticker sets now.

Yeah, I really wanted to eliminate the glut. We have cool plans for the next few series to do that.

Offline Final Step

« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2012, 02:58:30 PM »

The orange one I have is darker than the orange in ajerx, but lighter than the red in jail-o. I think what some are calling red others may be calling orange. Quas seems to have two clearly different color orange and red cards in his eBay auction.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline dth1971

« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2012, 07:16:41 PM »
In OS4 base sticker set: According to the puzzle checklist: What do Battleaxe and Norseman spoof?

I even notice on the checklist OS4 has takes on the Pet Rock and the Mood Ring wacky pack style!

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2012, 07:20:15 PM »
In OS4 base sticker set: According to the puzzle checklist: What do Battleaxe and Norseman spoof?

I even notice on the checklist OS4 has takes on the Pet Rock and the Mood Ring wacky pack style!

Battleship game and Northern Bathroom Tissue

Offline View Monster

• Sights For Sore-Eyes
  • ___ a.k.a. wackyfan ___
    • Non-Sport trading cardz
« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2012, 03:42:11 AM »
Weakie count

16 -Blue
9 - Orange
4- Green
0 - Red

I opened my three boxes and got:

4 - Blue
1 - Green
2 - Red

Offline View Monster

• Sights For Sore-Eyes
  • ___ a.k.a. wackyfan ___
    • Non-Sport trading cardz
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2012, 04:19:02 AM »
My first pack had all 'wrapper stickers' - red lud series 16, tan back blue posters, white back die cut, and tan back series 16 wrapper.  And, the series 16 wrapper seems discolored.   Good thing I know there will be actual Wackys somewhere in here!!!! 

How many different wrapper stickers should there be to have all of them? I'm lost....... :-[

Offline dth1971

« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2012, 04:51:44 AM »
And Fright Bulbs might spoof the 1970's generic plain wrap or something of light bulbs.

Offline Final Step

« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2012, 04:58:42 AM »
And Fright Bulbs might spoof the 1970's generic plain wrap or something of light bulbs.

Transylvania fright bulbs spoofs Sylvania light bulbs.

Offline Final Step

« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2012, 05:09:55 AM »
How many different wrapper stickers should there be to have all of them? I'm lost....... :-[

45. Fifteen tan backs,  15 white backs and 15 Ludlow backs, unless you are looking for Ludlow variation backs then it is more than that.