Author Topic: WP Old School 4 - SPOILERS  (Read 43611 times)

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
Re: WP Old School 4 - SPOILERS
« Reply #140 on: January 07, 2013, 05:50:22 PM »
I have 5-6 wit the same as well...one camel...

I am putting a lst together of the ludlow back vars. I only know of one SWEETAR var but also only see one ATOMIC FURBALL. Anyone have 2 vars for this one?
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #141 on: January 07, 2013, 06:03:38 PM »
Here are pics of the ludlow I received in 2 packs. One pack had just the border and one the actual sticker.

I got a farmula 4-H like that as well.  Border in one pack, image in another.  Those die-cut machines must have been punching a little too hard one day....

Offline chipereno

« Reply #142 on: January 07, 2013, 06:45:48 PM »
Yikes...a make ready sheet must have crept into the load. What can you do?
As far as the Luds exactly 1/2 of the run was with one pattern and the other 1/2
with the 2nd pattern. Same plate file as OLDS3 just RED.

Offline Mashbox

• Drive Yourself Buggy
« Reply #143 on: January 07, 2013, 07:29:56 PM »
Dropping by to say that I really like what has been done with OLDS 5. It was nice I was able to build a complete set of the tan backs out of one box, yet still get a good mix of the other variations and the wrapper stickers.

I like the concept of the classic wrapper stickers... it's a nice touch. Props to Dave (Paul Maul) for supplying Topps with scans.

The Old School All Stars are great. My only complaint about them is that the typeface on the back was a bit too small for all the jokes that were being added. Then again, it's been a while since I've looked at the backs of old baseball cards. I thought using the 1972 baseball borders was perfect and those borders are noted among baseball card collectors as ones that definitely look like they were from the 1970s... I think Beckett used to refer to them as "psychadelic" borders.

What I like about the Old School binder I ordered is it perfectly holds all four of the Old School series, plus the puzzles and other extras. The binders in general are just about the right size for holding multiple Wacky sets.

As always, the artwork and jokes on the various titles are very well done. It's amazing to see how many of them could easily have fit into the original series. Hats off to the artists for all the work they have done on the series.

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #144 on: January 07, 2013, 07:33:17 PM »
Dropping by to say that I really like what has been done with OLDS 5. It was nice I was able to build a complete set of the tan backs out of one box, yet still get a good mix of the other variations and the wrapper stickers.

I like the concept of the classic wrapper stickers... it's a nice touch. Props to Dave (Paul Maul) for supplying Topps with scans.

The Old School All Stars are great. My only complaint about them is that the typeface on the back was a bit too small for all the jokes that were being added. Then again, it's been a while since I've looked at the backs of old baseball cards. I thought using the 1972 baseball borders was perfect and those borders are noted among baseball card collectors as ones that definitely look like they were from the 1970s... I think Beckett used to refer to them as "psychadelic" borders.

What I like about the Old School binder I ordered is it perfectly holds all four of the Old School series, plus the puzzles and other extras. The binders in general are just about the right size for holding multiple Wacky sets.

As always, the artwork and jokes on the various titles are very well done. It's amazing to see how many of them could easily have fit into the original series. Hats off to the artists for all the work they have done on the series.
I KNEW THIS WAS A DOUBLE RELEASE!!!!!!!!
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #145 on: January 08, 2013, 04:21:08 AM »

Damn!  I'm a set behind!!! :sad:

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #146 on: January 08, 2013, 05:04:22 AM »
Damn!  I'm a set behind!!! :sad:

Nah, you just have a new set immediately available to enjoy!

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #147 on: January 08, 2013, 01:10:17 PM »
I am putting a lst together of the ludlow back vars. I only know of one SWEETAR var but also only see one ATOMIC FURBALL. Anyone have 2 vars for this one?

When you say you only know of one Sweetar variation do you mean you only know of one back of that title, or one plus a variation?  I get confused sometimes because to me a variation suggests that there are at least two different ones.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #148 on: January 08, 2013, 01:23:37 PM »
When you say you only know of one Sweetar variation do you mean you only know of one back of that title, or one plus a variation?  I get confused sometimes because to me a variation suggests that there are at least two different ones.

Yep, confusing. Since we have it on good authority there are two backs for each title of equal quantity, I tend to think of them as var1 and var2 rather than a "normal" back and one var... but that's just my skewed view of it I suppose. I meant that I only had seen one of the two possible backs for the SWEETAR title and one of the two possible backs for the FURBALL title. Brad confirmed that he has the other FURBALL back and gave its camel/foot designation. But we are still hunting the ellusive SWEETAR 2nd ludlow back.

(or do we already know the 2nd one and are still looking for the first one?)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 01:29:02 PM by sco(o)t »

Offline dth1971

« Reply #149 on: January 08, 2013, 02:13:29 PM »

Who did this above BATTLEAXE homemade that inspired the OS4 entry? I don't think it is Mazcmza (not sure I spelled the name right) or the late Gary "Head and Boulders" Browning, or maybe this was considered to be in a proposed but never made 4th. series of SILLY SUPERMARKET STICKERS.

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #150 on: January 08, 2013, 02:25:34 PM »

Who did this above BATTLEAXE homemade that inspired the OS4 entry? I don't think it is Mazcmza (not sure I spelled the name right) or the late Gary "Head and Boulders" Browning, or maybe this was considered to be in a proposed but never made 4th. series of SILLY SUPERMARKET STICKERS.
FINALLY A WORTHWHILE POST
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #151 on: January 08, 2013, 05:39:09 PM »

As Dave mentioned in an earlier post, that was an old concept of mine, which Dave and Topps were
kind enough to include in this series, of which I'm extremely honored and flattered.

There is absolutely no connection to Silly Supermarket series at all, by the way. 

Offline Mashbox

• Drive Yourself Buggy
« Reply #152 on: January 08, 2013, 07:47:04 PM »
"OLDS 5"

Darn typos!  >(

Offline rdsjnk

« Reply #153 on: January 09, 2013, 08:17:15 AM »

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #154 on: January 10, 2013, 09:03:05 PM »
Lots of things in this series I love....obviously the "unopened pack" stickers (which is what they really are, not just wrappers). Also, as a collector of the 1972 baseball set (which is what the baseball wackys are patterned on) I dig those as well.
Agreed, the 1972 subset looks great, love the concept.  Also, it appears the sketches were "anything goes" so artists were allowed to sketch any characters they wanted if I read that correctly, I think that is a great idea but will drive any sort of completist off the deep end.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #155 on: January 11, 2013, 03:43:53 AM »
Agreed, the 1972 subset looks great, love the concept.  Also, it appears the sketches were "anything goes" so artists were allowed to sketch any characters they wanted if I read that correctly, I think that is a great idea but will drive any sort of completist off the deep end.

The approach I see for a completist this time is one from each artist, and it looks like that shouldn't be too much of a problem.  I suppose someone could try for one from each artist and then also have the title be from Old School or OS or ANS.  Maybe even a specific series within one of those categories for a real challenge.

Offline dth1971

« Reply #156 on: January 11, 2013, 06:13:14 AM »
Besides the homemade David Gross concept for Battleaxe that ended up in OS4, why not another David Gross homemade Wacky concept for OS5? I'd go with Licee which was an Icee spoof David did for John Mann's Wacky site in the homemade section.

And I'm still hoping for this Gary "Head and Boulders" Browning concept to appear as an OS5 sticker for real:

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #157 on: January 11, 2013, 08:56:58 AM »
The approach I see for a completist this time is one from each artist, and it looks like that shouldn't be too much of a problem.  I suppose someone could try for one from each artist and then also have the title be from Old School or OS or ANS.  Maybe even a specific series within one of those categories for a real challenge.

That's exactly what I'm doing, one per artist.  Anything else would be an exercise in futility.  I'm not paying too much attention to the characters I'm getting, and since it's "anything goes" with the artists/characters I won't have any problems with duplicate characters.  It's still kind of challenging because of the few artists who did smaller quantities, but shouldn't be too tough.         
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #158 on: January 12, 2013, 04:22:03 AM »
So the smoke has cleared and I have a full set of OS 4 cards, all three backs, all baseball varis/ no lud varies.

I purchase 2 boxes and a binder from Topps, and a box w no sketch from Jeff Caff.  I sold $80 in sketches , and assorted cards. Net outlay was $86.

Not bad for a full set with a binder AND two chances to score a sweet sketch.  Binder has bent rings so i will attempt to swap it at the spring philly show.

The two sketches I got were not good enough IMO to keep. Presently I am only keeping sketches from the postcard releases.   Thanks to those who traded with me

and to Brad for helping me out with the last 5 cards I needed to finish the set. He did not have to do that.

Andrew

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #159 on: January 12, 2013, 05:31:40 AM »
That's exactly what I'm doing, one per artist.  Anything else would be an exercise in futility.  I'm not paying too much attention to the characters I'm getting, and since it's "anything goes" with the artists/characters I won't have any problems with duplicate characters.  It's still kind of challenging because of the few artists who did smaller quantities, but shouldn't be too tough.         

I am going with a similar goal, one from each artist for this series, although may not end up with some of the artists that have done fewer pieces this time, but that I already have several sketch cards from in past releases like Engstrom, Lynch, Smokin' Joe and Wheaton. I am being pretty selective on the titles however, choosing to pick up sketches that we have not seen done over and over in the previous releases. 

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #160 on: January 12, 2013, 08:21:27 AM »
, choosing to pick up sketches that we have not seen done over and over in the previous releases. 

I wish Topps wouldn't have allowed that.

anything