Author Topic: Original Series Wackys: Hard to Find in High Grade  (Read 28128 times)

Offline Paul_Maul

Re: Original Series Wackys: Hard to Find in High Grade
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2012, 11:40:43 AM »
This has got to be the ugliest PSA 8.5 ever! Horrible tanning, very noticeable diamond cut...this is why I'll never be impressed with a PSA registry set unless I see the actual photos!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/N-1974-Wacky-Packs-5th-Series-Pounds-PSA-8-5-/200862765340?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec45a911c

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2012, 11:53:12 AM »
This has got to be the ugliest PSA 8.5 ever! Horrible tanning, very noticeable diamond cut...this is why I'll never be impressed with a PSA registry set unless I see the actual photos!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/N-1974-Wacky-Packs-5th-Series-Pounds-PSA-8-5-/200862765340?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec45a911c

I wonder how many of my OS stickers are diamond cut.  The recessed holder seems to make that flaw much more obvious, to me, anyway.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2012, 07:46:55 PM »
I decided I would like to play this game, as I've considered my 1-16 pretty high grade for a while. This little exercise has shown me a few things, though. All of these posts show the sticker that is currently in my keeper set. It's possible I have a better example in my extras...but unlikely. Anyway, on with the show. And, I'd appreciate any comments, especially from those doing a lot of upgrades on these.

Here's my Series 1 and 2 stickers. Dopey's o/c high, but the rest are good, I think.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2012, 07:54:11 PM »
Here's Series 3 and 4. Moonshine and Windchester are o/c. All of the Series 4s are o/c some, too, but Choke is about as good as I've seen (he says humbly, LOL).

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2012, 07:59:12 PM »
Here's Series 5 and 6. Shotwheels is a bit o/c, but all of the 6s are, too. More so than I would have bet they were. Time to start hunting for better ones of them...

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2012, 08:09:35 PM »
Here's Series 7, 8 and 9. Big Muc is o/c (and diamond cut a bit?). The artwork on Muc [with the hexagonal black border shape] always made it hard to find one that really looked great, IMO. The other two 7s look good to me. Jerkyfruit is o/c. The other 8 and 9s look pretty decent to me.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2012, 08:15:34 PM »
Here's Series 10 and 11. Other than rollers on Caraid, the 10s look decent. Bash and Fib have the usual diamond cut, but not horribly; it IS hard to find square ones of them.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2012, 08:23:50 PM »
Here's Series 12-15. Doomed is o/c a bit and so is Sneezer, I guess. Both 14s need help with centering. Fang could be graded by a jeweler. Bandage is the best of that bunch.

This was fun for me!! Hope y'all enjoyed seeing my stickers, LOL!!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2012, 08:26:50 PM »
Here's Series 3 and 4. Moonshine and Windchester are o/c. All of the Series 4s are o/c some, too, but Choke is about as good as I've seen (he says humbly, LOL).

That Choke Wagon is one of the best I've seen. You have a few minor diamond cut cards. Stickers on flimsy paper is really tough. I would be proud!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 08:28:51 PM by BumChex »

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2012, 08:36:20 PM »
That Choke Wagon is one of the best I've seen. You have a few minor diamond cut cards. Stickers on flimsy paper is really tough. I would be proud!
Thanks, Brad. I keep workin' on it when I can. Like I said in my first post, it has pointed out to me where I need to place some more effort.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2012, 07:23:39 AM »
Any chance of a PSA 9 on this one? Or is the vertical centering insufficient?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2012, 08:22:15 AM »

I think you would be fine on the centering. It's pretty nice!

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2012, 12:17:35 PM »

I also think the cetering is fine. The only drawback I notice is the slight discoloration of the border. Unless this is because of the scan. Not sure how PSA might take that into consideration.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2012, 12:38:41 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

i'm thinking 7.5 at best...:)))

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2012, 12:49:59 PM »

I also think the cetering is fine. The only drawback I notice is the slight discoloration of the border. Unless this is because of the scan. Not sure how PSA might take that into consideration.

It might come back qualified as stained.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 12:51:32 PM by BumChex »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2012, 03:09:49 PM »
It might come back qualified as stained.

Why? There's no stain on it. Not sure what you're seeing, but it might be from the scan.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2012, 03:11:01 PM »
Why? There's no stain on it. Not sure what you're seeing, but it might be from the scan.

As Ratchet said. It could be the scanner.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2012, 03:11:37 PM »

The only drawback I notice is the slight discoloration of the border. Unless this is because of the scan. Not sure how PSA might take that into consideration.

The toning is very minor, PSA would not penalize it for that at all. In fact, they don't penalize stickers with awful toning at all.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2012, 05:54:39 PM »
I can't figure out how PSA judges the centering of wackys. How in the world is this Dopey Whip die cut not O/C? And how can the seller refer to it as "perfectly centered" when it obviously isn't?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WACKY-PACKAGES-1967-DIE-CUT-10-DOPEY-WHIP-PSA-8-NMMT-/350669004769?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51a5805fe1

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2012, 06:53:31 AM »
I can't figure out how PSA judges the centering of wackys. How in the world is this Dopey Whip die cut not O/C? And how can the seller refer to it as "perfectly centered" when it obviously isn't?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WACKY-PACKAGES-1967-DIE-CUT-10-DOPEY-WHIP-PSA-8-NMMT-/350669004769?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51a5805fe1

Even if you ignore the copyright line it's still a little off center.  I guess if PSA says it's perfectly centered then it must be true.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2012, 07:33:10 AM »
Even if you ignore the copyright line it's still a little off center.  I guess if PSA says it's perfectly centered then it must be true.

Maybe its a PSA10 but they asked for no qualifiers so it got dropped down to an 8? Highly unlikely though.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2012, 07:49:29 AM »
Maybe its a PSA10 but they asked for no qualifiers so it got dropped down to an 8? Highly unlikely though.

I don't think it has adequate centering for an 8. A PSA 8 can be no worse than 70/30, no matter how nice it is otherwise.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2012, 08:04:58 AM »
I don't think it has adequate centering for an 8. A PSA 8 can be no worse than 70/30, no matter how nice it is otherwise.

In terms of grading, is the copyright line treated just like it is the border of the art, so to get it dead on 50/50 the distance between the bottom of the copyright and bottom edge should be equal to the top of the art to the top edge?   
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2012, 08:44:22 AM »
In terms of grading, is the copyright line treated just like it is the border of the art, so to get it dead on 50/50 the distance between the bottom of the copyright and bottom edge should be equal to the top of the art to the top edge?  

That's the key question. I believe the answer is yes. If you examine uncut sheets and compare the height of vertical stickers to the length of landscape ones, you'll see they only match up if the copyright line is included.

Example:

« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 08:53:33 AM by Paul_Maul »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2012, 06:25:06 PM »
This one sure is pretty!

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2012, 07:11:53 PM »
This one sure is pretty!

A real looker. To bad they all didn't come from Topps that way originally.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2013, 08:26:57 AM »
This has been discussed in the past. Based on the way the sheet is laid out, any truly centered Clammy will appear miscut. So the best hope for a "centered" Clammy is one that is about 60/40, just O/C enough for the image of the other sticker to disappear.

I hate it when PSA drops the ball like this. I'm not sure how the centering of a Clammy should be properly assessed, but the premium PSA puts on eye appeal certainly suggests this should not be an 8. It does illustrate nicely why Clammy is nearly impossible to find well-centered:

eBay auction: #350752785680

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2013, 05:57:49 PM »
based on what people are paying for PSA'd wackies, there is a strong demand for high grade original wackys....

Offline HawaiianPunks

« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2013, 07:10:57 AM »

The centering is excellent, but the corners doom that card.  It would be a PSA 6 or 7 - most likely a 6.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2013, 08:04:30 AM »
The centering is excellent, but the corners doom that card.  It would be a PSA 6 or 7 - most likely a 6.

Agreed. That's why finding PSA 9 quality raw cards is so tough. They have to have it all. And it's exponentially tougher for titles that have recurrent production related flaws, like Choke Wagon, 8-Lives, etc. In fact, I'd love to see photos of all of the highest PSA grades for these titles. I'd bet many of them are marginal examples of the grade. I've yet to see a PSA 8 or better Capn Crud that is really centered and cut properly.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2013, 09:46:56 AM »

Agreed also but it's still one of the best Choke Wagon's I've seen. Most have a dog ear to the left. I think mine does as well. I also have another one that is OC.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2013, 10:58:18 AM »
Agreed also but it's still one of the best Choke Wagon's I've seen. Most have a dog ear to the left. I think mine does as well. I also have another one that is OC.

The dog ear/flare cut thing is a common problem with stickers appearing on the edge of the uncut sheet. Lots of titles have this problem, Jerky Fruits, Feetena, etc., etc. Not sure why some edge titles are more prone to it than others. Also, it definitely affects tan backs more than white backs.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2013, 05:27:13 PM »
This Choke Wagon is truly amazing.....

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2013, 05:46:06 PM »
WOW!!  Do you think every other sticker on the sheet that came from was miscut and/or off-center?

Offline Kook

« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2013, 06:32:52 PM »
This Choke Wagon is truly amazing.....

That's a beauty Dave. Is that yours? What's the aquisition story??

anything