Author Topic: So How was the Philly Show  (Read 9652 times)

Offline Ruffs

So How was the Philly Show
« on: October 20, 2012, 12:29:27 PM »
And the answer is .....

Offline ratchet007

Re: So How was the Philly Show
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 01:09:31 PM »
And the answer is .....

Just got home from the show. Really great seeing, talking to, and trading with:
RawGoo - Pat
Monsterettes - Elizabeth
Matt Stock
Greg Grant
Bigtomi - Tom
lucidjc - Jim (and his wife)
9064 Clint
Marc Simon
Mike Jasperson from Topps
George Wright
Pupsi - aka Brother Shoe
Had a great time with all.
If I missed anyone, my apologies.

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 04:01:43 PM »
Back at ya, Brian!  Great fun to see you and all the gang today -- what a blast to hang out and talk wackys.  Now back to assessing everything I picked up!   :great:

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 04:57:33 PM »
I didn't even notice this at first, but George Wright clued me in.  The set of promo cards they gave out today at the Philly Show has a Norm Saunders card -- a photograph of Norm on the front, with information about his role in Mars Attacks (but not wackys) on the back.  A tip of the hat to the master, richly deserved.   

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 05:12:18 PM »
I had a great time today!  Seeing everyone at the show and doing some trading was really fun.  Aside from deals with forum members, my Wacky purchases were limited to the Topps table.  I did very well there, finally got the ANS9 cereal box sets, and got a fantastic Parisi Cap'n Clunk sketch in a mystery sketch envelope.

I also scored some non-sports reference books I've been wanting, in brand new condition and for really reasonable prices.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 05:26:05 PM »
I had a great time today!  Seeing everyone at the show and doing some trading was really fun.  Aside from deals with forum members, my Wacky purchases were limited to the Topps table.  I did very well there, finally got the ANS9 cereal box sets, and got a fantastic Parisi Cap'n Clunk sketch in a mystery sketch envelope.

I also scored some non-sports reference books I've been wanting, in brand new condition and for really reasonable prices.
Do you think the mystery sketch envelope was from left-overs they had for replacement purposes?

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 06:18:48 PM »
It was a fun time! The dealers at the show had nothing I was interested in today, for some reason, but chatting and trading with the "gang" was cool. Finally, officially meeting and talking with George Wright (SoreMel) was also excellent! Pat was generous selling me some NCIS cards (which my wife likes, BTW, thanks, Pat!), my bro-in-law picked up some good BB cards from a dealer and from Paul_Maul, so he was happy. I also splurged a bit and bought an ANS9 Jeff Zapata sketch from Matt...and it's now my avatar. Unfortunately for me, not a terribly productive show, but certainly a good time, though.

All I hear in my head is:

Raw Goo: I got some books and cool Topps stuff!
Paul_Maul: I got some sticker upgrades and a nice slabbed 7th pack!
bigtomi: I got a rock.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 06:24:43 PM »
Do you think the mystery sketch envelope was from left-overs they had for replacement purposes?

That seems likely.  I also got an Old School 3 Kirscht Fool Guard sketch.  Heard that someone pulled a Lynch Pig Boy, and someone pulled a color sketch,  but I don't know who those extremely lucky people were.  I'm thrilled with my Parisi Cap'n Clunk!

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 06:27:45 PM »
The (admittedly second hand) implication was that these had somehow been forgotten and then rediscovered in a drawer, file, folder.  Not quite sure on that, but the sketches certainly were from a mix of series/types.  Some real winners and some "commons."  It was a strong temptation...

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 06:29:28 PM »
It was a fun time! The dealers at the show had nothing I was interested in today, for some reason, but chatting and trading with the "gang" was cool. Finally, officially meeting and talking with George Wright (SoreMel) was also excellent! Pat was generous selling me some NCIS cards (which my wife likes, BTW, thanks, Pat!), my bro-in-law picked up some good BB cards from a dealer and from Paul_Maul, so he was happy. I also splurged a bit and bought an ANS9 Jeff Zapata sketch from Matt...and it's now my avatar. Unfortunately for me, not a terribly productive show, but certainly a good time, though.

bigtomi: I got a rock.

A rock - just in time for The Great Pumpkin!  Thanks for the reminder, I just put the ghost costume on my Charlie Brown figure, and put his bag of rocks next to him!!

Wish I had had a chance to find out which cereal album stickers you ended up with, I'd have traded you for the NCIS stuff.  Glad to hear your wife liked it!!

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 07:14:48 PM »
LOL  Can I suggest the following minor update...

bigtomi: I got a rockin' sketch card
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 07:20:17 PM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 07:57:03 PM »

I asked mike j about these. He said they were from damaged packages. Crushed old school and ripped postcard packs.

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 03:52:43 AM »
It was nice to see everyone again, sorry I got sick and had to leave so abruptly.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 04:56:57 AM »
A rock - just in time for The Great Pumpkin!  Thanks for the reminder, I just put the ghost costume on my Charlie Brown figure, and put his bag of rocks next to him!!

Wish I had had a chance to find out which cereal album stickers you ended up with, I'd have traded you for the NCIS stuff.  Glad to hear your wife liked it!!

Did you guys get the 'Philly non-sports" OLDS4 Promo version there? anyone have an extra for sale??

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2012, 05:09:17 AM »
It was nice to see everyone again, sorry I got sick and had to leave so abruptly.

Bummer, Frank!  Hope you're feeling better now.

I wish someone would invent the transporter already, I'd go back today in a heartbeat!

Offline Final Step

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2012, 06:04:36 AM »
Bummer, Frank!  Hope you're feeling better now.

I wish someone would invent the transporter already, I'd go back today in a heartbeat!
I feel better now, but then I didn't.  I'd go back too!
De-Mented Tomatoes

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2012, 09:19:54 AM »
Wish I had had a chance to find out which cereal album stickers you ended up with, I'd have traded you for the NCIS stuff.
I still have all 8 of them, multiples of some titles. Which ones do you need?

Offline Soremel

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2012, 07:44:20 AM »
Hello All! It was great to see everyone again. My voice was starting to fade toward the end of the 2nd day because, as most of you already know, I don't shut up for a second when I'm talking about Wacky Packages! I also want to thank all of those that had to put up with my "Wacky Package Storage Info-mmercial Show & Tell" sessions! What can I say? I get excited about that kind of stuff!

If my schedule allows, I will have another table in the Spring. By then I'll have some unique Wacky-related sketch cards available along with a wider selection of trade bait.

I hope everyone made it home safely without any issues. Again, it was really nice to see everyone that attended and get to spend some time talking with you!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2012, 08:02:23 AM »
Hello All! It was great to see everyone again. My voice was starting to fade toward the end of the 2nd day because, as most of you already know, I don't shut up for a second when I'm talking about Wacky Packages! I also want to thank all of those that had to put up with my "Wacky Package Storage Info-mmercial Show & Tell" sessions! What can I say? I get excited about that kind of stuff!

If my schedule allows, I will have another table in the Spring. By then I'll have some unique Wacky-related sketch cards available along with a wider selection of trade bait.

I hope everyone made it home safely without any issues. Again, it was really nice to see everyone that attended and get to spend some time talking with you!

I enjoyed talking to you, and found your storage solutions inspiring! 

Offline Soremel

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2012, 12:29:10 PM »
I enjoyed talking to you, and found your storage solutions inspiring! 

It was very fitting that the first people I saw, when driving into the venue parking lot, were you and Monsterettes! Both of you deserve the "Wacky Punctuality" award!

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2012, 08:33:49 PM »
It was very fitting that the first people I saw, when driving into the venue parking lot, were you and Monsterettes! Both of you deserve the "Wacky Punctuality" award!

Hey George, Great seeing you and the entire Wacky bunch this past Sat. Already looking forward to the May 4th/5th show. BTW For those who couldn't attend, I picked up 1 of the "Hunch" Wacky comic books, 1st to send me a PM will get it, $10 plus a little s/h.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2012, 08:43:41 PM »
Just got home from the show. Really great seeing, talking to, and trading with:
RawGoo - Pat
Monsterettes - Elizabeth
Matt Stock
Greg Grant
Bigtomi - Tom
lucidjc - Jim (and his wife)
9064 Clint
Marc Simon
Mike Jasperson from Topps
George Wright
Pupsi - aka Brother Shoe
Had a great time with all.
If I missed anyone, my apologies.

Thank you Brian for posting a list of the forum members who were able to attend this past Sat, A few more that were in person were:

1. Mark (Buzzooka)
2. Bill (Kook).
3. Andrew (Dr. Deal)
4. Dave (Paul Maul)
5. Anthony (Duck & Hide)
6. Mike (Grabowski)
7. Frank (De-Mented).
8. Rob-Dr. Popper.
This I believe is complete now.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 07:42:29 PM by Pupsi-Cola »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2012, 04:38:19 AM »

You were the first forum friend we saw as well!

We were even in the first 25 customers and got Mars Attacks! grab bags.  Wasn't something we deliberately shot for, but everything went really smoothly.  I wish I'd known that Roxanne had some unopened OS packs with her, I'd have gone straight there and been her first customer, and picked up a few for my baby pack collection.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2012, 05:51:27 AM »
I wish I'd known that Roxanne had some unopened OS packs with her, I'd have gone straight there and been her first customer, and picked up a few for my baby pack collection.

If it makes you feel better, she only had 12ths and 15ths, and the 15th I gave you came from her same stash also (via ebay)!

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2012, 07:12:22 AM »

Thank you Brian for posting a list of the forum members who were able to attend this past Sat, A few more that were in person were:

1. Mark (Buzzooka)
2. Bill (Kook).
3. Andrew (Dr. Deal)
4. Dave (Paul Maul)
5. Anthony (Duck & Hide)
6. Mike (Grabowski)
7. Frank (De-Mented).
8. Rob (Dr Popper)

This I believe is complete now.

Hey, was I invisible or something?  haha  I added my name to the list.  I didn't end up finding anything major but at this point I go more for the gathering with collecting friends than I do hoping to find something on my list.

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Kook

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2012, 07:28:34 AM »
If it makes you feel better, she only had 12ths and 15ths, and the 15th I gave you came from her same stash also (via ebay)!

I also think Matt has some of these packs up on ebay now. I remember seeing them $19.99 for 12th, $24.99 for 15th.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2012, 08:39:23 AM »
I also think Matt has some of these packs up on ebay now. I remember seeing them $19.99 for 12th, $24.99 for 15th.

Yeah. Those are very fair prices for ebay also, at least $10 below what they are usually listed for by others.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2012, 07:43:22 PM »
Hey, was I invisible or something?  haha  I added my name to the list.  I didn't end up finding anything major but at this point I go more for the gathering with collecting friends than I do hoping to find something on my list.

Sorry Rob, My error.