Author Topic: Halloween Postcard 2012 Sketches - Spoilers!  (Read 67605 times)

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
Re: Halloween Postcard 2012 Sketches - Spoilers!
« Reply #175 on: October 30, 2012, 01:54:04 PM »
I said I was done commenting on your auction.
If that somehow prevents your future meltdowns in which you don't bother to digest all of the information provided to you, then that is good....

I somehow sense it won't.....
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #176 on: October 30, 2012, 03:42:20 PM »
If that somehow prevents your future meltdowns in which you don't bother to digest all of the information provided to you, then that is good....

I somehow sense it won't.....

Yup.....

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #177 on: October 30, 2012, 03:51:53 PM »
This is the one I got. I like it!

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #178 on: October 30, 2012, 03:59:37 PM »
This is the one I got. I like it!

Nice sketch and even nicer avatar!

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #179 on: October 30, 2012, 04:08:07 PM »
Nice sketch and even nicer avatar!
I agree on both counts -- and that is one way cool animation!

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #180 on: October 30, 2012, 04:17:03 PM »
Thanks. I'll post a large version of the anim tomorrow for Halloween.

Offline weirdo1

« Reply #181 on: October 30, 2012, 08:50:46 PM »
My 3 sketches.  Very nice Neil!!! If anyone is interested, shoot me a note.

Offline ClubbedCanadian

« Reply #182 on: October 30, 2012, 09:45:41 PM »
My 3 sketches.  Very nice Neil!!! If anyone is interested, shoot me a note.

nice pulls,,,

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #183 on: October 30, 2012, 11:49:07 PM »

Three more pulls for me! The one that my scanner didn't fully get is a Brent Engstrom Bit O Hairy.
Good to see that the m*mummy is red!
Alex

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #184 on: October 31, 2012, 10:19:07 AM »
Am I the only one who doesn't quite get the appeal of the sketch cards (as a 'Wacky Pack collectable', that is)?  I guess something happened in the years I was out of the hobby and I'm out of touch now or something.  I mean, I totally dig monsters, I collected Ugly Stickers & Odd Rods & Superfreaks, and have drawn monstery artwork all my life.  So, I dig the visuals.  But I don't get where they fit in with the Wacky Pack thing since they're only characters & not actual product parodies themselves.  Did I miss something?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #185 on: October 31, 2012, 10:21:37 AM »
They're not intended as stand alone wackys, just sketches of wacky related characters. As I've mentioned in other threads, while they are cool to look at, I don't really understand collecting them either, accept in an impulsive "buy/trade for whatever strikes you as cool" kind of way.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #186 on: November 03, 2012, 08:34:25 AM »
They're not intended as stand alone wackys, just sketches of wacky related characters. As I've mentioned in other threads, while they are cool to look at, I don't really understand collecting them either, accept in an impulsive "buy/trade for whatever strikes you as cool" kind of way.

I think that was all they were intended to be.  But what I like is that there was a bit of inventive collector-ness that came about. 

What surprised me, is that collectors came up with ways to collect these sketches.  I couldn't have come up with a way to collect sketches, but other collectors did.

With Old School, it became about collecting one of each character in sketch form, or one sketch from each artist on the series.  Similarly, on the postcard sets, some collectors gave themselves the goal of trying to get one sketch from each artist, and all sorts of other arbitrary goals.

And that's kind of awesome, isn't it?  I mean, as much as we can collect a set of stickers, many of us come up with all sorts of other goals that, while arbitrary, provide some fun stuff for us.

People collect gum, different colored backs (which have nothing to do with the parodies or originally-intended sets), wrapper fold-variations, etc. '

So, we've all managed to collect aspects of Wackys that were never intended to begin with.  You may not want to take part, but it's just the same thing that we've been doing all along.

Heck, no one ever thought that the wrappers were going to be the thing that people collected, but a LOT of collectors collect Wacky Pack series wrappers, too. 

I realize that you can't put sketches into some kind of mathematically-defined "set", but I quite enjoy that this is something collectors came up with on their own.  They weren't told to collect sets of artists or character sketches - they come up with what to collect on their own. 
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline bandaches

« Reply #187 on: November 03, 2012, 08:02:03 PM »
And that's kind of awesome, isn't it?  I mean, as much as we can collect a set of stickers, many of us come up with all sorts of other goals that, while arbitrary, provide some fun stuff for us.

So, we've all managed to collect aspects of Wackys that were never intended to begin with.  You may not want to take part, but it's just the same thing that we've been doing all along.
I love these two statements of yours, they are so dead on!!
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #188 on: November 03, 2012, 10:04:47 PM »
I guess you guys don't get it. Sketches are art. Some haven't bought original art and this is a way to collect art from the artists. There is no way to collect art but follow your heart. Some collect by artist and some collect what makes them happy. All pieces of art have a perceived value, some are irrational, but that is why we collect stuff. If you really want to know what drives a collector then you should look at yourself because we are all crazy for collecting. Isn't a collector a hoarder? It's things we have to have regardless if we need them or not. I collect stuff but my wife probably thinks I'm a hoarder. She loves to throw things while I like to hold on to some stuff. Why own a very rare comic when you can just buy a reproduction? Is it about a perceived status symbol?
What I'm getting at is people like to collect what they enjoy regardless of what others think. We all have a few screws loose because of this thinking.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #189 on: November 04, 2012, 01:00:57 AM »
I guess you guys don't get it. Sketches are art. Some haven't bought original art and this is a way to collect art from the artists. There is no way to collect art but follow your heart. Some collect by artist and some collect what makes them happy. All pieces of art have a perceived value, some are irrational, but that is why we collect stuff. If you really want to know what drives a collector then you should look at yourself because we are all crazy for collecting. Isn't a collector a hoarder? It's things we have to have regardless if we need them or not. I collect stuff but my wife probably thinks I'm a hoarder. She loves to throw things while I like to hold on to some stuff. Why own a very rare comic when you can just buy a reproduction? Is it about a perceived status symbol?
What I'm getting at is people like to collect what they enjoy regardless of what others think. We all have a few screws loose because of this thinking.

"I guess you guys don't get it."

On the contrary, I think we get it.  I celebrate the diverse ways that people collect, and the things that collectors come up with to drive their pursuits.  While a part of me thinks that everyone is stupid who doesn't want the exact things I want - the rest of me thinks that part of me is pretty insane.  

"There is no way to collect art but follow your heart."

That's a matter of opinion, of course.  There's all sorts of other ways to collect art.  Following your heart is but one.  As you kind of point out subsequently.

"Isn't a collector a hoarder?"

Not in the way I define each of these things.  But I place an unhealthy attribution to the term "hoarder" - so to use the term hoarder implies some degree of unhealthy activity.  While I do think some collectors fall into this category, the majority, in my opinion, do not.   At least not in the way I use those terms.  But this is semantics.  You may define "hoarder" in a vastly different way than I do.

"...we are all crazy for collecting."

Well, yes, probably.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 01:07:10 AM by JasonLiebig »
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline bandaches

« Reply #190 on: November 04, 2012, 01:49:42 AM »
Jason and I just agreed with you that collecting sketches is one of the many cool off shoots of wackys that has created its own various avenues of collecting......perhaps you didn't read posts again?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #191 on: November 04, 2012, 09:40:18 AM »
I agree with Jason completely on all of this in rational moments. The truth is that my response to all of this is largely based on emotion, not reason.

It's the same way I feel when I really love a certain band, and others don't care/don't like. The rational response is: "They're entitled to their own tastes, so what." But emotionally, when you really love something, you secretly want everyone else to share your feelings, and you get defensive about it sometimes. It's definitely silly, but as social creatures people often react this way.

I'm willing to admit that a lot of my negative feelings about new wackys simply stem from a feeling of having been abandoned by a large segment of the hobby in my interest and pursuit of vintage items. Ten years ago almost everyone shared my interests, and it's a lot less so now. Even if I can get some stuff cheaper now, I still liked it better the other way.

So since I'm feeling rational at the moment, I'm proud of sketch fans, ANS fans, postcard fans, etc. for finding something they enjoy and pursuing it. I hate change so I'll probably go to my grave searching for one more original series wacky with perfect corners and no image tilt.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 09:43:54 AM by Paul_Maul »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #192 on: November 04, 2012, 09:40:26 AM »
Jason and I just agreed with you that collecting sketches is one of the many cool off shoots of wackys that has created its own various avenues of collecting......perhaps you didn't read posts again?
Why is this about you and Jason? Did you read Dave's post?

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #193 on: November 04, 2012, 12:05:17 PM »

The truth is that my response to all of this is largely based on emotion, not reason. It's the same way I feel when I really love a certain band, and others don't care/don't like. The rational response is: "They're entitled to their own tastes, so what." But emotionally, when you really love something, you secretly want everyone else to share your feelings, and you get defensive about it sometimes. It's definitely silly, but as social creatures people often react this way.

Good analogy! I think about this sometimes – it's a curious thing

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #194 on: November 04, 2012, 12:27:32 PM »
It's the same way I feel when I really love a certain band, and others don't care/don't like. The rational response is: "They're entitled to their own tastes, so what." But emotionally, when you really love something, you secretly want everyone else to share your feelings, and you get defensive about it sometimes. It's definitely silly, but as social creatures people often react this way.

You make a great point, and I believe that's just human nature. It works both ways - on more than one occasion, I hoped that you would get excited about the new Wackys. I don't think that anyone has abandoned you on vintage stuff though (except maybe for Brad who said he's done with OS). For me, it's just hard to keep up with all the new new new stuff *and* pursue OS stuff. Especially with PC and OldS added to the mix. If I had more time and a suitcase full of money, it would be a different story.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #195 on: November 04, 2012, 02:36:47 PM »
It works both ways - on more than one occasion, I hoped that you would get excited about the new Wackys.

That's interesting. Believe it or not, I didn't start out with a resolute determination to reject the new stuff. If you look back to
2004 on Greg's forum, I was waxing romantic about the whole situation and very much looking forward to it. I just burned
out on it very quickly when it failed to do the impossible and re-create feelings I had as a kid.

I don't think that anyone has abandoned you on vintage stuff though (except maybe for Brad who said he's done with OS). For me, it's just hard to keep up with all the new new new stuff *and* pursue OS stuff. Especially with PC and OldS added to the mix. If I had more time and a suitcase full of money, it would be a different story.

I feel the same way, I've just prioritized the vintage stuff because that's what really makes me feel good. I must just have a very specific emotional need this stuff meets, and the new stuff really can't ever meet those needs even if the quality is through the roof (and some of it certainly is).

Offline bandaches

« Reply #196 on: November 04, 2012, 04:59:51 PM »
Why is this about you and Jason? Did you read Dave's post?
You mean the one where Dave agrees with Jason on the same points that I agree with Jason?  Who is the "guys" and "everyone" who you feel are saying that sketch collecting is lame???

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #197 on: November 04, 2012, 05:50:14 PM »
You mean the one where Dave agrees with Jason on the same points that I agree with Jason?  Who is the "guys" and "everyone" who you feel are saying that sketch collecting is lame???

Why don't you go up a few posts and see Toadalydude and Dave's post. It's not always about you!

Offline bandaches

« Reply #198 on: November 04, 2012, 06:13:11 PM »
Why don't you go up a few posts and see Toadalydude and Dave's post. It's not always about you!
This has nothing to do with me.  You seem confused yet again.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #199 on: November 04, 2012, 06:21:32 PM »
Did you bother to notice that your post directly followed Jason's post which sung the praises of collecting sketches?  Your post appeared idiotic.  Perhaps in the future, you should do something novel and be specific in regards to whom you are addressing and what specific post you are responding to especially given your history of completely ignoring actual posts from people.  Per your own admission in the past, you are often "too busy" to keep track of posts.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #200 on: November 04, 2012, 06:41:20 PM »
That's interesting. Believe it or not, I didn't start out with a resolute determination to reject the new stuff. If you look back to
2004 on Greg's forum, I was waxing romantic about the whole situation and very much looking forward to it. I just burned
out on it very quickly when it failed to do the impossible and re-create feelings I had as a kid.
Well I wouldn't say the new stuff re-creates the exact same feelings I had back then either, but it comes close. #1 when I'm at the store seeing the first few packs/boxes from a new series (always exciting), and #2 when I'm opening packs and sorting stickers (fun to see new art/characters/gags), #3 when I'm trading with other forum members (reminds me of trading Wackys with friends in the old days). There are some annoying things about the new series', but if I'm having fun for the most part, I'm happy.

I feel the same way, I've just prioritized the vintage stuff because that's what really makes me feel good. I must just have a very specific emotional need this stuff meets, and the new stuff really can't ever meet those needs even if the quality is through the roof (and some of it certainly is).
What happens with me, as I'm sorting a new series, some of them just "click" with me and become my favorites. The more I look at them studying their details, the more they become special to me. Of course some of them just don't do anything for me, but that's how it was in the 70's also.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #201 on: November 04, 2012, 06:59:01 PM »
Well I wouldn't say the new stuff re-creates the exact same feelings I had back then either, but it comes close. #1 when I'm at the store seeing the first few packs/boxes from a new series (always exciting), and #2 when I'm opening packs and sorting stickers (fun to see new art/characters/gags), #3 when I'm trading with other forum members (reminds me of trading Wackys with friends in the old days). There are some annoying things about the new series', but if I'm having fun for the most part, I'm happy.
What happens with me, as I'm sorting a new series, some of them just "click" with me and become my favorites. The more I look at them studying their details, the more they become special to me. Of course some of them just don't do anything for me, but that's how it was in the 70's also.

ANS1 definitely has that original series 1 feel for me as it really rekindled a lot of the stuff you listed here.  I completed ANS1(any many subsequent series) one pack at a time spread over many weeks.  I never gave in to the kill a case of cards to make 1000 sets to flip that many did.  I bought packs from many sources and even overpaid to buy from 7-11 as to me, the extra few pennies in 7-11 price gouging was more than worth simulating the experience as a kid!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #202 on: November 04, 2012, 07:11:54 PM »
This has nothing to do with me.  You seem confused yet again.

"You mean the one where Dave agrees with Jason on the same points that I agree with Jason?  Who is the "guys" and "everyone" who you feel are saying that sketch collecting is lame???"

Dude, didn't you just post this? If so, you list yourself. Are you now the forum police? A person can't even post an opinion because you will go back and read every post to see if anyone else commented about the same thing? If you have time to go back and research all posts to call someone out is just crazy. You seem to be looking for a witch hunt about nothing. This is just a forum to post news and opinions. Some comments are thought provoking and some not. You seem to go after everyone so a lot of forum members don't even want to post because they are afraid you will attack them for their own opinion. That's why I made a joke about your auction because I knew you would defend it and make a big thing out of it. You could have been a bigger man and not even say anything or something like 'it doesn't hurt to try'. Everything has to get blown out of proportion with you. No wonder Greg hated you. You don't make it easy for people to like you.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #203 on: November 04, 2012, 07:42:02 PM »
"You mean the one where Dave agrees with Jason on the same points that I agree with Jason?  Who is the "guys" and "everyone" who you feel are saying that sketch collecting is lame???"

Dude, didn't you just post this? If so, you list yourself. Are you now the forum police? A person can't even post an opinion because you will go back and read every post to see if anyone else commented about the same thing? If you have time to go back and research all posts to call someone out is just crazy. You seem to be looking for a witch hunt about nothing. This is just a forum to post news and opinions. Some comments are thought provoking and some not. You seem to go after everyone so a lot of forum members don't even want to post because they are afraid you will attack them for their own opinion. That's why I made a joke about your auction because I knew you would defend it and make a big thing out of it. You could have been a bigger man and not even say anything or something like 'it doesn't hurt to try'. Everything has to get blown out of proportion with you. No wonder Greg hated you. You don't make it easy for people to like you.
Nope, in fact other than the occasional disagreement with Jason, I haven't battled much of anyone on this forum...and of course you because you chronically act like a dolt.  Things you find humerous that others don't come off as you being aloof.  Just look at the thread discussing turning back the clock, another pathetic attempt at humor by you that was taken by a forum member AS YOU BEING CRITICAL.  

Regarding my action, I specifically called out that people shouldn't act like jackasses about my BIN and yet you did anyway.

Oh,....and Jason's post where he sings prasies abou sketch collecting was two posts before your idiotic response about "you guys" attacking sketch collecting, no need to roll back pages worth....  Even Jason responded to you perplexed on how you interpreted his post as sketch hating.

Face it, you just don't handle the English language very well!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 07:43:33 PM by bandaches »

Offline bandaches

« Reply #204 on: November 04, 2012, 07:54:23 PM »
That's why I made a joke about your auction because I knew you would defend it and make a big thing out of it.
So...you are admitting you purposely provoked a reaction from me that you didn't want on this forum?  Really Brad?  Is that what we can expect from you?  First you claimed it was funny and then when nobody agreed with you but instead stated they didn't see the humor, now you are claiming you purposely picked a fight and you follow it up claiming that I fight too much?  Do you actually comprehend much of anything you put in writing?

I actually hardly post any more and only became active with the halloween set coming out.  I don;t know who is pushing your buttons with all of this "it isn;t about you" nonsense and who urged you to purposely attack my auction all in attempt to get me to react.  Pretty lame dude....

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #205 on: November 04, 2012, 08:57:40 PM »
ANS1 definitely has that original series 1 feel for me as it really rekindled a lot of the stuff you listed here.  I completed ANS1(any many subsequent series) one pack at a time spread over many weeks.  I never gave in to the kill a case of cards to make 1000 sets to flip that many did.  I bought packs from many sources and even overpaid to buy from 7-11 as to me, the extra few pennies in 7-11 price gouging was more than worth simulating the experience as a kid!

Ah yes, 7-11 Slurpees and Wackys went together so well back then. And of course riding our bikes to get there. I also remember times riding in the car when my parents would stop by 7-11 and I'd buy some packs. The back seat would be covered in Wacky wrappers.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #206 on: November 04, 2012, 09:07:36 PM »
Ah yes, 7-11 Slurpees and Wackys went together so well back then. And of course riding our bikes to get there. I also remember times riding in the car when my parents would stop by 7-11 and I'd buy some packs. The back seat would be covered in Wacky wrappers.

For us it was bikes, I don't have any recollections of actually going with my mom to get packs and yes, of course, slurpees and brain freezes too!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #207 on: November 04, 2012, 09:59:46 PM »
Nope, in fact other than the occasional disagreement with Jason, I haven't battled much of anyone on this forum...and of course you because you chronically act like a dolt.  Things you find humerous that others don't come off as you being aloof.  Just look at the thread discussing turning back the clock, another pathetic attempt at humor by you that was taken by a forum member AS YOU BEING CRITICAL.  

Regarding my action, I specifically called out that people shouldn't act like jackasses about my BIN and yet you did anyway.

Oh,....and Jason's post where he sings prasies abou sketch collecting was two posts before your idiotic response about "you guys" attacking sketch collecting, no need to roll back pages worth....  Even Jason responded to you perplexed on how you interpreted his post as sketch hating.

Face it, you just don't handle the English language very well!

HAHaHa. That is funny! Way to put a spin on my post. Also, if he would have said it was a B-52 lyric i would have understood it. I didn't understand it but I thought it was quirky. That is what this forum is about. All you do is criticize people. Dr. Deal even expressed his opinion on your auction and next thing you know...he changed his response after you told him it was more than a sketch. It's still a true example of a clueless seller. You can spin this all you want but your auction looked like someone that doesn't know this hobby. I said I wouldn't talk about your auction again but I feel you are still going after me because of my comment on that stupid auction. The way you stated that auction on the forum sounded like you were making fun of the eBay system. You can make fun of the eBay system but if you don't sell it than what are you gaining? Nothing! Dr. Deal was exactly right all along even if he didn't understand 'all the extras you were adding'. You don't understand the market. Plain and simple. I doubt you ever have because I see all the overpriced crap you try to sell. You are clueless when it comes to market value. You've told me you were done collecting so why are you even on the forum? It's obvious you bought the Halloween sets to flip. Too bad you can't get what you want for them, that's the risk.
It must be sad that you can't even have fun. I think you are a person that likes to judge other people because you have your own issues. You did it on Greg's forum and you are doing it now, you want to be the forum bully. It's easy to hide behind words on a screen. That's probably why you were so worried when Matt Stock threatened you on Greg's forum.
I'm just saying what others haven't said because they were afraid to. I will try to provoke conversation even though I know others may not agree but you will attack others opinions because you don't agree. It's a total downer.......

Offline bandaches

« Reply #208 on: November 05, 2012, 04:56:03 AM »
That is funny! Way to put a spin on my post. Also, if he would have said it was a B-52 lyric i would have understood it. I didn't understand it but I thought it was quirky. That is what this forum is about.

Spin on your post?  I directly quoted your post. 

Face it, you acted like a boob and I called you out on it.  You acted like a boob with the B52 Lyrics and you got called out on it.  Dr Deal has class, admitted he didn't pay attention to the auction details and backed off based on the simple facts.  You lack that class.  Don't whine about it, just accept it.  I have piles of messages from people who thanked me for calling you out on your thinking you are the end all be all expert on sketches.  They have said you are a total turn off to sketch collecting, I can see why and we can see it has manfested itself with this halloween set as the actual discussions on sketches have been minimal compared to previous releases thanks to you being the self proclaimed sketch expert and critical ass.

They also said they don't want to call you out because you host the forum....sound familiar, you are heading down the path of being a greg. You made a mistake, you shouldn't have attacked my auction when I specifically said the BIN was high and you did it anyway. 

You have provided numerous reasons for attacking my auction, which are the lies and which is the truth?  Was it meant to be funny, was it meant to provoke me attacking to back, was it because you are a self appointed sketch boob who takes personal offense to high BINs even when the high BIN was called out as such?  There was actually no good reason for you to do so, everything here was going great and you couldn't control yourself and decided to act like a boob.

If you can't admit you made a mistake, I can't help you but I am enjoying feeding you rope to watch you hang entangle yourself further with each post you make which contradicts your previous ones.  You can't even keep track of your own comments let along any others.  Too funny!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #209 on: November 05, 2012, 08:26:00 AM »
You can spin this all you want but your auction looked like someone that doesn't know this hobby. 

I guess by "this hobby" you mean specifically the hobby of collecting wacky sketches, because that's the only thing an asking price for a sketch would reflect upon. I don't usually think of wacky sketch collecting as its own separate hobby, but evidently it has that elevated status to you.

anything