Author Topic: Wackys in the Wild  (Read 9157 times)

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
Wackys in the Wild
« on: September 28, 2012, 03:01:06 PM »
I thought it might be neat to have a thread dedicated to stories and pictures of finding Wackys in the wild in unexpected places.  We will see how far this can go.

Today, I was visiting my sister in Staunton, IL and we went to a huge antique mall called the Pink Elephant right off of Interstate 55 about a half hour east of St. Louis.

Any time I'm in an antique store, I'm always keeping my eyes peeled for anything Wacky related and I had just about given up until I saw this item sitting on a shelf in a corner:

I started to get excited thinking I would find a treasure trove of Wackys inside but it was just full of 45s.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline bigtomi

Re: Wackys in the Wild
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 03:42:44 PM »
I started to get excited thinking I would find a treasure trove of Wackys inside but it was just full of 45s.
Jeez, what a stupid thing to put in there!!  :P

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 04:03:19 PM »
It would still be a neat thing to store Wackys in!

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 04:07:41 PM »
Jeez, what a stupid thing to put in there!!  :P

At least he can go on "record" saying he found something neat at that shop-LOL.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 05:27:05 PM »
I spotted this gallery of wackys in a coffee shop in north shore, oahu back in '04.
They are just bunch of large color xerox's in simple frames in a waiting area, but they looked pretty cool.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 09:44:24 PM »
I spotted this gallery of wackys in a coffee shop in north shore, oahu back in '04.
They are just bunch of large color xerox's in simple frames in a waiting area, but they looked pretty cool.

(Image removed from quote.)

Cool idea for waiting in line at the coffee shop !
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline BustedFinger

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 10:52:43 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

What is that one below Mex-Pax?

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 11:39:03 AM »
What is that one below Mex-Pax?
Stanka.
I think that's one of those Fleer Crazy Labels cards

Offline BustedFinger

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 05:50:19 PM »
Here is another story of finding Wackys in the Wild.

Back in 2004, I was visiting my in-laws who live in St. Petersburg, FL and we were at the ocean front visiting a place called "John's Pass".  There was a little store that had a whole wall of magnets of all different kinds and as I was looking at them, I spied a Wacky title.  I grabbed it off the wall and continued looking and I started spotting more and more Wackys on the wall.  I ended up buying every one of them that I could find.  They were definitely knock-offs but still pretty cool:

Offline Forgers Coffee

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 07:03:06 PM »
That's a really cool find. The magnets look better than the ones put out by Topps.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 08:05:58 AM »
Here is another story of finding Wackys in the Wild.

Back in 2004, I was visiting my in-laws who live in St. Petersburg, FL and we were at the ocean front visiting a place called "John's Pass".  There was a little store that had a whole wall of magnets of all different kinds and as I was looking at them, I spied a Wacky title.  I grabbed it off the wall and continued looking and I started spotting more and more Wackys on the wall.  I ended up buying every one of them that I could find.  They were definitely knock-offs but still pretty cool:

They look to be in some kind of hard casing? That's neat.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2018, 05:06:17 PM »
I realize this thread has been ignored for a long time, but this is definitely the right place to post this.

Just a few blocks from my home (as the crow flies), a new collectible/antiques shop opened up a few months ago. I'd been meaning to stop in and check it out and finally got a chance to do so a couple days ago. It's a pretty good sized place, with quite a few (several dozen) lighted display cases of bric-a-brac, toys, jewelry, etc. About halfway down the first aisle I explored, to what to my wondering eyes did appear, but a display case with a bunch of Wackys in it!! You could have knocked me over with a feather! Pics below. You can see that the bottom shelf has a full binder with a 1-16 run for sale (asking $4500), but mostly it's a bunch of OS singles with a smattering of newer stuff. Just thought I'd share, as it was quite cool, IMO.

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2018, 05:45:34 PM »
Always cool to see Wackys in the wild. Wow, I've never seen a whole 1-16 run offered like anywhere like that before!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2018, 05:47:59 PM »
I realize this thread has been ignored for a long time, but this is definitely the right place to post this.

Just a few blocks from my home (as the crow flies), a new collectible/antiques shop opened up a few months ago. I'd been meaning to stop in and check it out and finally got a chance to do so a couple days ago. It's a pretty good sized place, with quite a few (several dozen) lighted display cases of bric-a-brac, toys, jewelry, etc. About halfway down the first aisle I explored, to what to my wondering eyes did appear, but a display case with a bunch of Wackys in it!! You could have knocked me over with a feather! Pics below. You can see that the bottom shelf has a full binder with a 1-16 run for sale (asking $4500), but mostly it's a bunch of OS singles with a smattering of newer stuff. Just thought I'd share, as it was quite cool, IMO.

That’s very unusual these days! Is the store worth visiting?

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2018, 05:49:40 PM »

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2018, 07:07:34 PM »

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2018, 03:15:34 AM »
Very cool discovery.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2018, 03:41:34 AM »

Holy Cow!!  Did you buy anything?  I'd probably still be in there looking through everything.  Was the 1-16 in decent shape?

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2018, 04:13:56 AM »

Wow!

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2018, 08:42:57 AM »
I went to Williams Grove Flea Market today, a big flea market relatively close to my residence, and I found a really nice 15th Series Dynamites for 50 cents. There was also an Awful Bits. I wasn't sure if I needed Dynamites, but for 50 cents, I got it. Turns out, I did.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2018, 08:47:34 AM »
Is the store worth visiting?
I don't know that I'd travel for hours to visit it, but for you, it's probably worth the trip...especially if you can combine it with another purpose [like a Wacky trading/bs session with me and Bill at my place, lol].

They do have quite an eclectic variety of items. My understanding is that they rent out space for vendors/collectors to display their wares for sale [the Wackys fall into this category]. Do not despair, though, if you aren't "local". They have a website here and you can take a virtual tour:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSqdO5s3y_Q" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSqdO5s3y_Q</a>

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2018, 08:56:19 AM »
Holy Cow!!  Did you buy anything?  I'd probably still be in there looking through everything.  Was the 1-16 in decent shape?
I didn't purchase any Wackys, no, and I didn't look at the 1-16. The "problem" is that you direct the staff to the case you're interested in, they open it and stand there with you while you look/examine things. I felt a bit rushed and like I was going to steal something, though I know that's not the reason for their behavior. I understand they have to protect their client's items.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2018, 09:30:05 AM »
Geez, I wish there was a place like that here - I have some great vintage toys I want out of the way.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2018, 10:37:49 AM »
I am currently returning from a three week trip to 🇲🇼 Malawi, Africa with 10 other members of a Scout Venturing Crew. We all took identical totes that we knew would stack, etc so people personalized them to be able to tell them apart at a glance. Here is mine.

aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2018, 03:27:48 PM »
I am currently returning from a three week trip to 🇲🇼 Malawi, Africa with 10 other members of a Scout Venturing Crew. We all took identical totes that we knew would stack, etc so people personalized them to be able to tell them apart at a glance. Here is mine.

Excellent!

Offline Campy

• work in progress
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2018, 08:21:31 AM »
Very Cool! So how was the trip?

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2018, 02:33:59 AM »
Very Cool! So how was the trip?

The trip was amazing. Since this was a group of Scouts, we spend about 5 of the 20 days we were there involved with service projects. We spent 2 days at a Scout Jamboree attended by African Scouts from several South African countries. We were in the mountains, down in the desert valley and in both the bigger cities and out in Rural Areas where villages of thatched huts is still the norm. We climbed a mountain, played several pickup games of football (soccer), went on several safaris in Majete game reserve and just chilled out the last 4 days there at a "resort" called Cool Runnings on the beach of Lake Malawi, the largest fresh water lake in the world. It sure made us all appreciate many of the things we take for granted as many parts of Malawi are very impoverished.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2020, 01:38:05 PM »

My campsite
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2020, 09:09:36 AM »
AWESOME Towels!

Richard
#StayWacky

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2020, 04:49:24 PM »
AWESOME Towels!

Richard
#StayWacky
Yeah I don't just collect them and stick them in storage I actually use the product
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

anything