Author Topic: 1977 SHEDDS & 1979 TEST - sticker count, set count, collector count...  (Read 6507 times)

Offline ToadallyDude

Well, now that you old-timers somehow got my mind spinning with Wackys again... I seem to be suddenly infatuated with the story of the 77's and 79's.  I never paid them much notice when I was doing all my collecting & researching.  Probably because I favored the UK & OPC's for rare side-variations, and also because as a "PAC(K)-ifist", I hated to witness the senseless ripping open of defenseless unopened packs that had stood the test of time in their original state.  Every time I saw you guys tear open a rare 1979 TEST PACK, just to see the slightly different cut-lines on a pristine 1st series clone... it was like watching Quetzalcoatl toss a helpless virgin sacrifice into a firey pit or something.  (anyone who knows me would be very impressed that I can spell Quetzalcoatl).

Anyway... now that enough of the 1979 test packs have been violated to make sets, and the seemingly-equally-rare 1977 Shedds Premiums have also been ripped from their deliciously stained cello-packs, too... I wonder if you Wacky historians have ever compiled a LIST of known quantities of:

- 1977 SHEDDS packs (in-tact)
- 1977 SHEDDS sets (complete)
- 1977 SHEDDS stickers (total population, or even by title)
- 1977 SHEDDS buckets w/Wacky ad (I hear 2 so far)

- 1979 TEST PACKS (still unviolated)
- 1979 TEST sticker sets (complete)
- 1979 TEST stickers (total population)
- 1979 TEST boxes (verified anyway)

...oh, and how many collectors are SERIOUSLY persuing sets of each, too.

I'm considering starting the daunting task of the 1977 set, just to keep me busy chasing something challenging (without having to do so with ANS chase swill).  I don't remember anyone ever putting together an estimated list like this, though.  I'm so far out of touch that I wouldn't even be able to guess (beyond knowing about the 100+22 Shedds packs that I've read about on here).  Anyone want to take a stab?  Anyone know the current VALUES of these, too?  Are 77s and 79s equal in rarity & value, pound for pound?  (sorry... I mean Saunders for Saunders.  Pound didn't start until the later series).

Offline Kook

Re: 1977 SHEDDS & 1979 TEST - sticker count, set count, collector count...
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 07:11:55 PM »
I'm working on a shedds set (for about 4 years now). I'm 3 cards away (19/22)- Still need Ajerx, Crust & Mrs Klean. This is a TOUGH set! I have 1 unopened shedds cello pack in my pack collection, 1 1979 test sticker as an example, and 1 unopened 1979 test pack. I think the '79 test stickers would probably be tougher than the shedds, and more difficult to confirm because of the very subtle differences. Distinguishing the shedds copyright is easy.

Anyone else collect &/or have an interest in the shedds or '79 test sets??

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 09:27:22 PM »
I'm working on a shedds set (for about 4 years now). I'm 3 cards away (19/22)- Still need Ajerx, Crust & Mrs Klean. This is a TOUGH set! I have 1 unopened shedds cello pack in my pack collection, 1 1979 test sticker as an example, and 1 unopened 1979 test pack. I think the '79 test stickers would probably be tougher than the shedds, and more difficult to confirm because of the very subtle differences. Distinguishing the shedds copyright is easy.

I have around 6 Shedds I am wanting to get a set of them.  Just finding them is next to impossible but I know they are out there.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 04:06:46 AM »
I have one example of a 1979 test sticker.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 05:36:20 AM »
I had 8 Shedd's that my brother's and I pulled from the peanut butter tubs back when we were kids - which included the first example of the Botch card (which isn't listed the gallery). I picked up a couple more when I got back into collecting and then that mother load showed up - at which point I was able to complete a set.

With the '79's, I was able to pick up an open pack last year off eBay. A wrpper plus 6 nice cards.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 05:39:55 AM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 06:34:14 AM »

I finished my Shedd's set several years ago, but I have found the 79' Test set more challenging and have been working on that one for 6-7 years now, and still need 10 titles.  Like you said that fact that the differences are so subtle and don't involve the copyright makes it a lot harder. 

Collecting the Shedd's set got a little easier for collectors when that antique dealer was unloading singles several years ago.  Without that guy's stash I would probably still be working on my set.   

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 09:18:02 AM »
I finished my Shedd's set several years ago, but I have found the 79' Test set more challenging and have been working on that one for 6-7 years now, and still need 10 titles.  Like you said that fact that the differences are so subtle and don't involve the copyright makes it a lot harder. 

Collecting the Shedd's set got a little easier for collectors when that antique dealer was unloading singles several years ago.  Without that guy's stash I would probably still be working on my set.   

In addition to that motherlode, Greg Grant also obtained a pretty large lot of Shedd's in really high grade a couple of years ago.
Unfortunately, while there were multiple copies of several titles, almost half the titles were missing from the group for some
reason.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 10:53:41 AM »
Unfortunately, while there were multiple copies of several titles, almost half the titles were missing from the group for some
reason.

So, that should mean that SOME titles are MUCH harder than others, right?  Has anyone ever compiled a list of how many are known for each title, or even a more general list of what the rares & commons are?

I noticed that someone has a complete PSA graded set registered on the PSA site.  Is that one of you guys who said you have a complete set?

I don't know why I didn't bite when that one dealer was dumping them on eBay.  I always liked them, but just didn't bid much on things like that at the time.  Getting back on eBay after so long, I don't know how you guys even manage to find anything without having to do a complicated custom search.  With all of Probstein's over-priced (and badly-photographed) stuff that obviously no one has any interest in (since it's all the same stuff I saw on there years ago), and all of the Silly CD original art, and single ANS stickers, and PSA graded stuff that should never have been PSA graded... it's insanity.  I remember when a search for "wacky" would bring up about 17 items.  When it got to 100, it was amazing.  But 18,500 items!  (well, 14,000 adding "-wobbler -winners -races -silly").

Offline Kook

Update: Thanks to Ernie (for crust & Mrs Klean) & ebay (for ajerx), I have finally finished my shedds set, though I am still looking to upgrade crust. This set seemed much tougher than the complete diecuts.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
Update: Thanks to Ernie (for crust & Mrs Klean) & ebay (for ajerx), I have finally finished my shedds set, though I am still looking to upgrade crust. This set seemed much tougher than the complete diecuts.

Congrats!  That's a nice unique set to complete.  I started collecting them after that antique dealer dude had unloaded his stash and it was still very challenging. It took me probably 5-6 years to finish them all in nice condition.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
So, that should mean that SOME titles are MUCH harder than others, right?  Has anyone ever compiled a list of how many are known for each title, or even a more general list of what the rares & commons are?

I noticed that someone has a complete PSA graded set registered on the PSA site.  Is that one of you guys who said you have a complete set?

I don't know why I didn't bite when that one dealer was dumping them on eBay.  I always liked them, but just didn't bid much on things like that at the time.  Getting back on eBay after so long, I don't know how you guys even manage to find anything without having to do a complicated custom search.  With all of Probstein's over-priced (and badly-photographed) stuff that obviously no one has any interest in (since it's all the same stuff I saw on there years ago), and all of the Silly CD original art, and single ANS stickers, and PSA graded stuff that should never have been PSA graded... it's insanity.  I remember when a search for "wacky" would bring up about 17 items.  When it got to 100, it was amazing.  But 18,500 items!  (well, 14,000 adding "-wobbler -winners -races -silly").

I remember going back 10-12 years ago I could literally search all Wacky Packages items in between 1-2 hours at the most.  Now it's probably 1-2 days!  It's insane.  If you don't keep up with it on a daily basis it's so easy to lose track.

Offline ToadallyDude

I remember going back 10-12 years ago I could literally search all Wacky Packages items in between 1-2 hours at the most.  Now it's probably 1-2 days!  It's insane.  If you don't keep up with it on a daily basis it's so easy to lose track.

I started my eBay account in 1997.  Back THEN... it took about 5 minutes to search all the Wacky listings.  I don't remember it being any more than 20 or 30 items in the beginning.  When it got to 100, everyone was freaking out.  (...and the "Wacky Wobblers" and "Wacky Races" didn't get in the way so much either).

Offline bigtomi

- 1977 SHEDDS packs (in-tact)
- 1977 SHEDDS sets (complete)
- 1977 SHEDDS stickers (total population, or even by title)
- 1977 SHEDDS buckets w/Wacky ad (I hear 2 so far)

- 1979 TEST PACKS (still unviolated)
- 1979 TEST sticker sets (complete)
- 1979 TEST stickers (total population)
- 1979 TEST boxes (verified anyway)

...oh, and how many collectors are SERIOUSLY persuing sets of each, too.
I only have one Shedds sticker as an example for my collection...but I do own one of the Shedds buckets (don't know who else has one). No '79 test stuff.

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
No Shedd's stickers (tried to get a Fright Guard but was outbid).

I have one 1979 Test Sticker: Minute Lice (I always liked the little smiling lice on that sticker and it has that 60's 2D style animation that reminds me of The Flintstones and The Jetsons for some reason).

anything