Author Topic: Forgive my absence-induced innocence, but what's THIS?  (Read 11093 times)

Offline ToadallyDude

Forgive my absence-induced innocence, but what's THIS?
« on: September 11, 2012, 07:03:20 PM »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Re: Forgive my absence-induced innocence, but what's THIS?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 07:13:36 PM »
Only the painting is original. I'm sure it's probably the only one he did.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 07:19:08 PM »
Just saw THESE for the first time, too.  Got caught with a little bit of "Wacky Pack Fever" today, obviously...

http://www.etsy.com/listing/105434862/custom-playing-cards-wacky-packages?ref=sr_gallery_8&ga_search_query=wacky+packages&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=ZZ&ga_min=0&ga_max=0&ga_includes[0]=tags&ga_search_type=all

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 07:55:15 PM »
Just saw THESE for the first time, too.  Got caught with a little bit of "Wacky Pack Fever" today, obviously...
just some 'home made' custom playing cards that someone is making, using images lifted from Greg Grant's web site.

some idiot actually paid $66 for a deck on ebay. eBay auction: #130748679420

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 07:09:08 AM »
just some 'home made' custom playing cards that someone is making, using images lifted from Greg Grant's web site.

looks like GADAWG was the other one bidding....thought he would know better...or $$ to burn...

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 08:51:17 AM »

Yah, they were obviously home-made.  But not a bad idea.  It would have been the perfect deck of cards to play the famous "Wacky Art Poker Game" with.  I knew that one would have never happened.  Stakes were too big.  But it WOULD be fun to have a game sometime where common Wacky singles are the chips.

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 06:25:38 PM »
That painting is the only one I did of the package itself.  I did it as a commission a few years ago.  I think the guy just wanted a gouache painting...but since I was doing other stuff with acrylics on canvas at the time, I did it in that medium.  It says "after Rick Varisi" at the bottom.  He's the guy who designed the original packaging for the product.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 11:46:14 AM »
That painting is the only one I did of the package itself.  I did it as a commission a few years ago.  I think the guy just wanted a gouache painting...but since I was doing other stuff with acrylics on canvas at the time, I did it in that medium.  It says "after Rick Varisi" at the bottom.  He's the guy who designed the original packaging for the product.

Jay... good to know you're still hanging out with these guys.  I haven't been around here since 2004 or so, but it's been fun reliving the Wacky days.  One of my best memories from the Wacky heyday of the late 90's was hanging out at your place in Chicago before we all went to dinner with Gidwitz.  It was really cool of you to invite us over & treat us wide-eyed collectors to all the great history (in stories and original files and artwork).  Star Wars fans would probably have simultaneous heart-attacks if George Lucas invited them over to show them original scripts & costumes... and I'm sure that never happens.  Hopefully all these newer collectors appreciate how cool it is to have one of the original Wacky creators hanging out with them on this forum.

BTW: Amazing repair job on "Burpsi".  Wish I'd had the sense to send it to you before letting it go.

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 04:31:31 PM »
Burpsi.  Yeah.  I think the Vault might have sent it to me to fix.  I think the glass on the frame broke in shipping or something.

Offline Liquidfox

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 05:41:02 PM »

Why do they have to be an idiot? My time is worth more than $30 an hour (much more), so for me to shop those and find an outlet to put them on playing cards would cost me much more (in time).

If they had paid $500; then sir, they would be an idiot.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 06:59:02 PM »
Burpsi.  Yeah.  I think the Vault might have sent it to me to fix.  I think the glass on the frame broke in shipping or something.

The guy who bought it from me sent it to you, actually.  It had so many problems with the text that I kept holding on to it, wondering how to go about getting it to look like the original.  I really didn't want to sell it, but y'know... bills.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 07:02:21 PM »
Hey... you guys weren't kidding about how much of a pain it is to do "animated GIFs".  I saw the thread about them from 2010 and decided to take a stab at fitting in with all of you animated avatars.  Arduous, even for a Photoshop dude.  I couldn't seem to ROTATE any of the objects.  Only move them up-down-right-left.  Is there a way to rotate without having to make individual frames for each position?  This was just my first attempt.  I'm going to do a cooler one when I have time.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 08:44:06 PM »
What software are you using to animate?

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 08:58:44 AM »
If they had paid $500; then sir, they would be an idiot.
I suppose there are levels of idiocy.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 09:40:37 AM »
What software are you using to animate?

An old version of Photoshop (PS3 Extended).  I've always just used it for processing & touching up my photography.  Never knew it could do animation.  It took me a while to figure out all the screens and commands, but knowing video editing helped, too.  It's very tedious, though.  Chopping up all the characters & objects from the sticker is the easy part.  Blanking out the areas behind those object gets a little harder.  But the making sure the animation tool knows which element you're trying to move or effect was the most frustrating.  It kept switching to a different frame, and if I hit 'undo', it would sometime delete the whole track.  Kind of annoying.  And I couldn't find a way to rotate or re-size objects as part of the animation. 

This is actually the first version I did.  The 2nd one is better, but for some reason the Forum Profile page wouldn't load it.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 09:42:57 AM »

This is actually the first version I did.  The 2nd one is better, but for some reason the Forum Profile page wouldn't load it.

It might be too big.  It can't be bigger than 300X300.
Use this online tool to make adjustments:
http://www.online-image-editor.com
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 09:53:38 AM by BumChex »