Author Topic: Real or fake??  (Read 29786 times)

Offline Kook

Real or fake??
« on: September 04, 2012, 10:52:34 AM »
Has anyone seen this auction?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=120979273440&nma=true&rt=nc&si=rQvSj0hPeig5eopvbgIeKmSR75Q%253D&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I wasn't positive at first if this was real or fake. The wording is very confusing. (intentional?) I would guess the winner thinks he got an original based on the ending price.

Now there's a new auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wacky-Packs-Ads-Ratz-Crackers-RARE-Card-/120980634946?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2b01fd42

The description is just a bit more clear, but the title & picture sure make it seem real. If you don't read the whole description, this may turn out to be a $2000 index card.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Re: Real or fake??
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 11:13:51 AM »
Geeze, that is a fake. I had a snipe on it and glad I didn't win. WOWsers.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 11:28:33 AM »
Geeze, that is a fake. I had a snipe on it and glad I didn't win. WOWsers.
Yeah, the G&E is fake, I'm pretty certain. I don't see the perfs coming thru on the back...and the fact that it's in that frickin' bag doesn't help you see it. I think someone bought an expensive piece of cardboard. At least the Ratz says it's a repro.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 11:45:26 AM »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=120979273440&nma=true&rt=nc&si=rQvSj0hPeig5eopvbgIeKmSR75Q%253D&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I wasn't positive at first if this was real or fake. The wording is very confusing. (intentional?) I would guess the winner thinks he got an original based on the ending price.

There is this one line in the description... " This is the perfect reproduction to top of that incomplete set."
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 11:47:37 AM »

Now there's a new auction:
He has a ratz he is definatly trying to mislead people.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wacky-Packs-Ads-Ratz-Crackers-RARE-Card-/120980634946?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2b01fd42

The description is just a bit more clear, but the title & picture sure make it seem real. If you don't read the whole description, this may turn out to be a $2000 index card.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 11:47:45 AM »
Yep, both are repros. Terrible descriptions. Intentional obfuscation combined with poor grammar makes for a painful read.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 11:54:29 AM »
Yep, both are repros. Terrible descriptions. Intentional obfuscation combined with poor grammar makes for a painful read.

Very well done repro's, which should have been appropriately marked on the backs (or fronts) when produced.  Mine are in pages, but with notes behind them that they are repro's so if I get hit by a bus my family won't offend the Wacky community.  I could not bring myself to mar the backs myself......................

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 12:52:51 PM »
There is this one line in the description... " This is the perfect reproduction to top of that incomplete set."

Wow, someone paid 393. for a repro. I wonder if they missed that in the description and think they have the real thing? I wonder if (or how) you could tell the difference?
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 02:06:41 PM »
Mine are in pages, but with notes behind them that they are repro's so if I get hit by a bus my family won't offend the Wacky community. 

We appreciate that!

Watch out for those crazy bus drivers     ;D

The fact that RARE is included in the auction title but the term “reproduction” is mentioned towards the end of the description seems somewhat sleazy. Why would you call a reproduction “rare” other than to deceive?

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 02:51:42 PM »
We appreciate that!

The fact that RARE is included in the auction title but the term “reproduction” is mentioned towards the end of the description seems somewhat sleazy. Why would you call a reproduction “rare” other than to deceive?

EXACTLY. 

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 04:02:32 PM »
We appreciate that!

Dats it in de nutshell !

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 05:05:02 PM »
Wow, someone paid 393. for a repro. I wonder if they missed that in the description and think they have the real thing? I wonder if (or how) you could tell the difference?

There is no numbers on it. (for what I saw of the Ratz)

Offline Go_Bum

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 06:40:23 AM »
I just noticed this fake but I see you guys have already caught on to this seller. I was surprised to see a red ludlow bandache but near the end of the description it says reproduction.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BANDACHE-with-RED-CAMEL-Background-Wacky-Pack-Wacky-Ad-Packages-Cards-/120982535983?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2b1eff2f

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 08:38:47 AM »
I just noticed this fake but I see you guys have already caught on to this seller. I was surprised to see a red ludlow bandache but near the end of the description it says reproduction.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BANDACHE-with-RED-CAMEL-Background-Wacky-Pack-Wacky-Ad-Packages-Cards-/120982535983?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2b1eff2f

Yes, deliberately deceiving.

Offline Kook

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 08:42:31 AM »
Yes, deliberately deceiving.

I totally missed that one! I read most of the description, but not all. It isn't until the very last line that he mentions it's a copy. Judging by the current bids, I'll bet others missed "the fine print" too. What a shame.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2012, 08:43:22 AM »

I find this part amusing... "As you can see this is one of the rarest cards to ever be produced and we're not even sure if this exact card is out there."   So its either a painstaking reproduction of an extremely rare card, or one of a fictional card. When my daughter was 7 years old, she used to render painstaking reproductions of extremely rare unicorns.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2012, 08:52:27 AM »
I totally missed that one! I read most of the description, but not all. It isn't until the very last line that he mentions it's a copy. Judging by the current bids, I'll bet others missed "the fine print" too. What a shame.
I reported the auction to ebay as listing a counterfeit item.  The seller does not take reasonable precautions to make sure the buyer would know this is a fake.  Clearly this seller is a con artist who hopes to have covered himself with the sentence hidden way at the bottom of his endless babble.  I would hope others will too report this to ebay to get the listing taken down.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2012, 09:14:41 AM »
I reported the auction to ebay as listing a counterfeit item.  The seller does not take reasonable precautions to make sure the buyer would know this is a fake.  Clearly this seller is a con artist who hopes to have covered himself with the sentence hidden way at the bottom of his endless babble.  I would hope others will too report this to ebay to get the listing taken down.

Excellent! How do we do this?

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2012, 09:16:07 AM »
There is a link in every auction called "Report Item".  I just filed a report.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2012, 09:25:15 AM »

Wow, these are terrible, and some of these will go out into the market and could eventually surface for sale again as a legit card.  Not good for the hobby. 

With the G&E and Ratz, there's no type at all on the backs so it should raise a flag, but unfortunately their are a lot of collectors who could easily be duped by these auctions, and don't have the knowledge to pick up on the fact that they aren't legit.

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2012, 09:44:19 AM »
There is a link in every auction called "Report Item".  I just filed a report.

Thanks! Went ahead and filled out a report. I suggest as many of us as possible do the same.

Did as "Copyright Infringement", "Counterfeit or Fake Item", etc. and then said this item had the "reproduction" text buried deep in the description.

Offline Kook

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2012, 10:22:35 AM »
Wow, these are terrible, and some of these will go out into the market and could eventually surface for sale again as a legit card.  Not good for the hobby. 

With the G&E and Ratz, there's no type at all on the backs so it should raise a flag, but unfortunately their are a lot of collectors who could easily be duped by these auctions, and don't have the knowledge to pick up on the fact that they aren't legit.

The one saving grace, seems to be that, upon closer inspection, the bandache appears not to be diecut. Along with the missing text on the back of the diecuts, at least these can easily be spotted as fakes when in hand.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2012, 12:49:09 PM »

Offline Hustler08

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2012, 01:19:36 PM »

The simple answer is buy all your stuff like unopened packs and ludlows from Dave!! Honesty is always the best policy..... :P :P

We should have a "special spot" in this website/forum for keeping track of these types of "slim shady" auctions that we can flag and hold so when we see it arise in the future at least all forum members won't be bamboozled on ebay.....not a link but screen shots of the auction with pictures...
my 3 "cents"....

Offline Hustler08

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2012, 01:20:30 PM »
The one saving grace, seems to be that, upon closer inspection, the bandache appears not to be diecut. Along with the missing text on the back of the diecuts, at least these can easily be spotted as fakes when in hand.

Not for NEWBIES!!! ;D ;D

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2012, 06:34:15 PM »
The simple answer is buy all your stuff like unopened packs and ludlows from Dave!! Honesty is always the best policy..... :P :P

We should have a "special spot" in this website/forum for keeping track of these types of "slim shady" auctions that we can flag and hold so when we see it arise in the future at least all forum members won't be bamboozled on ebay.....not a link but screen shots of the auction with pictures...
my 3 "cents"....
That's a cool idea and would be a great resource for those about to pull the trigger on these auctions.
 Did the 'red camel back' bandache card appear out of focus and smokey on any one else's monitor? Looked weird on mine. If someone knew of this being a super rare card, then why would they post crappy pic.s?

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2012, 08:21:16 PM »
With the G&E and Ratz, there's no type at all on the backs so it should raise a flag
Rob, a real G&E is blank on the back, too, so that's what threw me a bit...the "no perfs" is what did it in for me. Blank back on Ratz is obviously a problem...

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2012, 03:23:52 PM »
Rob, a real G&E is blank on the back, too, so that's what threw me a bit...the "no perfs" is what did it in for me. Blank back on Ratz is obviously a problem...

I guess I should pull out my Wacky Ad binder more often!

Offline blunderbrent

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2012, 04:41:42 PM »
I have an ebay auction I would like the board to look at. The seller has many of the most sought after titles in seeming perfect condition. I was bidding on Bloodweiser, then I checked out his other items. What do y'all think, real or fake?

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2012, 05:17:37 PM »
I have an ebay auction I would like the board to look at. The seller has many of the most sought after titles in seeming perfect condition. I was bidding on Bloodweiser, then I checked out his other items. What do y'all think, real or fake?

I didn't look at all of them, but the Bloodweiser looks legit to me. The front top has that dirty look where the adhesive has accumulated stuff over the years, which would seem to me difficult to fake. Also, the back top has slight yellowing on the left which seems like too fine a detail unless we're dealing with a mastermind forger.

Nice to see you hanging out here!

Offline blunderbrent

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2012, 05:56:20 PM »
Thanks for responding. The auction is still open, so I feel confident bidding. The other items in the seller's store are suspiciously all the most sought after rare titles in EX condition, so my scam radar went off. Good to talk to you again Dr Sushi! I am just now reorganizing my collection and picking up a few stray pieces. This forum still looks very healthy and vibrant and I've enjoyed catching up on everything.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2012, 07:48:13 PM »

I'm really surprised at the sale price of some of these pieces. They look pretty good but are selling cheap. I'm guessing wackys are a bit slow now...Sad...

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2012, 06:40:03 AM »
I'm really surprised at the sale price of some of these pieces. They look pretty good but are selling cheap. I'm guessing wackys are a bit slow now...Sad...

Bloodweiser at $41.00 is high though.  That sold for more than the Pupsi.

anything