Author Topic: Gums  (Read 13449 times)

Offline NEZHEAD42

Gums
« on: August 16, 2012, 05:22:25 PM »
While watching the JAWS documentary "The Shark is Still Working" on the new blu-ray, there is a section about halfway through about how iconic the poster image is in our culture. There is a plethora of images that all parody the shark rising up to bite the nude woman. The images all flash by quickly, but nestled in amoungst Mad, Cracked, Crazy, Spidey Super Stories, etc. is the GUMS Wacky. Cool to see it on screen.
BTW, fans of JAWS will really dig this new blu-ray. The restored print is superb. The extras are cool too.
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

Offline Pupsi-Cola

Re: Gums
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 08:29:23 PM »
While watching the JAWS documentary "The Shark is Still Working" on the new blu-ray, there is a section about halfway through about how iconic the poster image is in our culture. There is a plethora of images that all parody the shark rising up to bite the nude woman. The images all flash by quickly, but nestled in amoungst Mad, Cracked, Crazy, Spidey Super Stories, etc. is the GUMS Wacky. Cool to see it on screen.
BTW, fans of JAWS will really dig this new blu-ray. The restored print is superb. The extras are cool too.

Thank you for coming up with this thread, Not only is Jaws my favorite 70's movie of all time, But I have the Mad magazine issue with the "YECCH" next to the shark, I lke the 15th series sticker, and I always look forward to Shark Week on DISC.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 07:00:55 AM »

Thank you for coming up with this thread, Not only is Jaws my favorite 70's movie of all time, But I have the Mad magazine issue with the "YECCH" next to the shark, I lke the 15th series sticker, and I always look forward to Shark Week on DISC.

Being that it's "shark week" this week I took the opportunity to watch Jaws 1 and Jaws 2 with my two daughters.  Jaws 1 is a classic and definitely the best, but I had forgotten how solid Jaws 2 was.  They lost Dreyfuss and Robert Shaw, but it was still a very good movie.  If Scheider wasn't in it it probably would have been a flop, but he played his role perfectly.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 07:32:25 AM »
I heard the blu-ray is really nice! Now that Rob mentioned it I don't think I have ever seen Jaws 2. I have seen the first one about 100 times though.

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 08:25:45 AM »

Ditto.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 08:37:22 PM »
Being that it's "shark week" this week I took the opportunity to watch Jaws 1 and Jaws 2 with my two daughters.  Jaws 1 is a classic and definitely the best, but I had forgotten how solid Jaws 2 was.  They lost Dreyfuss and Robert Shaw, but it was still a very good movie.  If Scheider wasn't in it it probably would have been a flop, but he played his role perfectly.

1st of all, What was the reaction of your 2 daughters after they watched each Jaws flick. 2nd I was 11 yrs old when I saw the 1st one, Had nightmares for quite a while. 3rd Brian L. (Brute 88) told me a very cool story about Jaws 2, If you would like to know what he had to say, Please get in touch with him. He tells the story better than I ever could, I know I would forget something.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 05:40:49 PM »

1st of all, What was the reaction of your 2 daughters after they watched each Jaws flick. 2nd I was 11 yrs old when I saw the 1st one, Had nightmares for quite a while. 3rd Brian L. (Brute 88) told me a very cool story about Jaws 2, If you would like to know what he had to say, Please get in touch with him. He tells the story better than I ever could, I know I would forget something.

They actually were fine with it.  They got a little scared at the attack scenes are gory parts, but they really liked both movies, especially the 1st one.  Now don't get me wrong, if we go to the beach anytime soon there's no way they are going in over their ankles!  haha

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 07:22:49 PM »

See how times change... I think I was 13 or 14 when JAWS was originally released. It was rated "R" (or whatever the equivalent was back then). I just know I was too young to get to see it and it was the big rage at that time. But now, most of us as parents, would not think twice about letting our 13 or 14 year old kids watch it.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 10:06:05 AM »
See how times change... I think I was 13 or 14 when JAWS was originally released. It was rated "R" (or whatever the equivalent was back then). I just know I was too young to get to see it and it was the big rage at that time. But now, most of us as parents, would not think twice about letting our 13 or 14 year old kids watch it.

Yes indeed Times have changed, This movie was perfect for the 70's, In any other decade, It just wouldn't have done well. BTW Here is a trivia question most people probably don't know:

Who did the 1st attack (pull) on the girl swimmer Chrissie?

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 10:14:24 AM »
They actually were fine with it.  They got a little scared at the attack scenes are gory parts, but they really liked both movies, especially the 1st one.  Now don't get me wrong, if we go to the beach anytime soon there's no way they are going in over their ankles!  haha

I'm glad they liked them, Hope they can sleep well at night-LOL. I have the 30th ann. DVD of the 1st movie that has 2 discs, One obviously being the movie and the other disc is entitled "The Making of Jaws" Interviews were done with Scheider, Dreyfuss, Spielberg, and many cast members from the film. Of course no longer with us are Benchley (Author), Shaw (Quint), Hamilton (Mayor) and producers Zanuck/Brown.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 10:24:04 AM »
I heard the blu-ray is really nice! Now that Rob mentioned it I don't think I have ever seen Jaws 2. I have seen the first one about 100 times though.

Jaws 2 has some good scenes, But nothing will ever copy the original movie. I have a friend that works with me at Pizza Hut, He was at the beach the yr ("75") the movie came out and he and everyone that was at the shore couldn't go swimming because of a bad storm going on, So he and many people went on the boardwalk in to the local theater there to watch the movie. Next day the weather was absolutely beautiful, You guessed it, No one went in the water.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 11:33:50 AM »
What about Piranha? That was pretty realistic :P

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 05:09:20 PM »

I'm pretty sure that Jaws was rated PG when it came out.  I too was only 11 and I know that I went to see it with several friends with no adults.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 08:16:03 PM »

My quick story about the Jaws movie is this: I was about 14 when I saw it in the movie theater. The scene that freaked me out the most was when, I believe it was Dryfus (prob. spelled his name wrong) was scuba diving and that head rolled out of the hole in that small sunken boat. There was no climatic build up like the famous shark attack music, it just rolled out of the hole suddenly and you heard his breathing change and saw his expression change. That litterally "shocked" me like I touched an electric fence and I grabbed the chairs' armrests with a death grip. No movie has ever done that since Jaws, it was really done in a smart way to terrify the audience. Although, people on our beaches still went in the water, but I suppose not as many that would have.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 08:53:24 PM »

Who did the 1st attack (pull) on the girl swimmer Chrissie?
I believe it was Steven Speilberg.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2012, 09:24:01 PM »
My quick story about the Jaws movie is this: I was about 14 when I saw it in the movie theater. The scene that freaked me out the most was when, I believe it was Dryfus (prob. spelled his name wrong) was scuba diving and that head rolled out of the hole in that small sunken boat. There was no climatic build up like the famous shark attack music, it just rolled out of the hole suddenly and you heard his breathing change and saw his expression change. That litterally "shocked" me like I touched an electric fence and I grabbed the chairs' armrests with a death grip. No movie has ever done that since Jaws, it was really done in a smart way to terrify the audience. Although, people on our beaches still went in the water, but I suppose not as many that would have.

The producers (Zanuck/Brown) May they RIP. knew they had a No. 1 hit movie when the scene with the head popping out of the little boat appeared, They said the audience in each theater that the movie was shown in screamed at that scene the most. My 2 favorite lines from the movie:

Scheider- "You're gonna need a bigger boat"

And the conversation between Hooper & the Mayor.
Mayor: I don't think either one of you is familiar with our problem
Hooper: Well I think that I'm familiar with the fact that you are going to ignore this particular problem until it swims up and bites you on the ass.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2012, 09:25:45 PM »
I believe it was Steven Speilberg.

You are correct, You win a free box of popcorn & a box of Raisinets-LOL.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2012, 09:29:13 PM »
I'm pretty sure that Jaws was rated PG when it came out.  I too was only 11 and I know that I went to see it with several friends with no adults.

Believe it or not, The rating of this film was not an easy decision to make, But as we all know, It ended up being PG.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2012, 03:40:48 AM »

My sister and I 'accidentally' saw Jaws when we were too young (under 10, I think).  My father used to save money by having us sleep in the back of the station wagon at the drive-in.  Unfortunately, the movie reflection appeared in the back window........  We both had nightmares, and my sister was terrified even in the swimming pool after that.  On the bright side, my mother finally got to put a stop to the drive-in practice, and we had babysitters after that unless it was a kid's movie we were supposed to see.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2012, 04:56:04 AM »
Wow, a lot of similar stories to my experience.  I was invited to a classmate's birthday party at the tender age of 8, and his mom took us all to see 'Jaws', which we did not know ahead of time.  The Ben Gardner head pop-out scene was the only one that really freaked me too, mostly because (as the prior post stated) there were none of the obvious muscial cues or other warning.  I guess that's what the horror film industry refers to as a "jump scare".  Probably one of the most famous jump-scares of all time.

I think my mom was kind of naive about the level of fright and gore in these films at the time.  She let my brothers and I go to several movies like this - 'Grizzly', from the following summer of 1976, is one that comes to mind.  Although only one of many 'Jaws' rip-offs that followed the classic, the gory parts were pretty realistic-looking and scary as hell to me at the time.

Yes, 'Jaws' is one of the most quotable films also.  'You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, shark's in the water, OUR shark.....farewell and adieu to you my fair Spanish ladies..... '.  Great stuff. 

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2012, 08:37:16 AM »
I am a total Jaws freak. I have the one sheet poster hanging 5 ft from where I am sitting. I have seen Jaws easily over 200 times (thanks to HBO and plenty of time as a kid). The new bluray is amazing. There is all sorts of stuff I have never noticed before. During the "let me show you my scar" sequence, Quint at one point is seen to be zipping his pants and buckling his belt. I have NEVER noticed that before. Obviously he had just shown off a scar and was putting his pants back on, but due to editing, that part was cut out. We are only left with him zipping up. Never the less, after 200+ viewings I never saw that due to the muddiness of the old prints. The new restoration clarity is really amazing!

I have a decent collection of Jaws memorabilia, but the one thing I have looked for for years is this:
When I was a kid I found a stash of Penthouse and Hustler mags from the 70s. In one of the Hustlers, there was a pic of Speilberg with his dick out and he was pissing into the mouth of Bruce the mechanical shark. I have no idea what issue it was in. Short of trying to collect the 70s run of Hustler, I dont know where to look. I figured that by now someone would have scanned the pic and it would be on the interweb. Alas no.  Any ideas?

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2012, 08:39:14 AM »
Between commercials and movies there are a ton of pop culture quote's that stick around for whatever reason. Of course commercials can be subjective to you locale.

Say hello to my little friend.
Gonna need a bigger boat.
Your mission should you choose to accept it ....

Occasionally I'll bring back a rarely used one like, "Sit on it", "You Big Dummy" and "Up you nose with a rubber hose"

Feel free to add to the list.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2012, 01:53:27 PM »

Hustler did release a 3D version of Jaws . . .

yowza yowza yowza

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5-oQ2fOnOc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5-oQ2fOnOc</a>

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2012, 11:19:22 AM »

Believe it or not, The rating of this film was not an easy decision to make, But as we all know, It ended up being PG.

It was PG and even with the blood and some gore it never received an R. It wasn't until Indian Jones came out with a PG rating when parents were pissed. After that we now have PG-13. About a few years ago I bought Uncle Buck on DVD to watch with the kids. I didn't realize how much swearing is in that movie and it's also PG.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2012, 09:11:34 AM »
It was PG and even with the blood and some gore it never received an R. It wasn't until Indian Jones came out with a PG rating when parents were pissed. After that we now have PG-13. About a few years ago I bought Uncle Buck on DVD to watch with the kids. I didn't realize how much swearing is in that movie and it's also PG.

I remember when Logan's Run came out, it was rated PG and there was a lot of full frontal nudity.  I remember many parents gasping in the theater and being upset by it.

Funny, here is the IMDB parental advisory for Logan's Run.  I don't remember all the nudity that this describes but I do remember seeing Jenny's boobs!

A woman comes to a man's apartment for sex. She changes her mind, but before doing so her buttocks can be seen through her toga.

During the chase scene, the main characters end up in a place called "The Love Shop" where citizens of the city come for orgies. As can be expected, there is both male and female full-frontal nudity.

Later on, the characters strip during a scene in a cave. The female (Jessica 6) shows full-frontal nudity, while the male character (Logan) does not.

When the two escapees are outside they strip and skinny dip. They swim around each other and the woman's breasts are visible, and their buttocks also come into view when they dive under the water.

There is a scene in which the characters Jessica 6 and Logan 5 are shown a hallway filled with frozen humans, all of which are fully nude. Many of the women can be seen fully frontally nude, although the groin area for some is behind clouded ice, but only partial frontal male nudity is shown.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2012, 09:15:15 AM »
There is a scene in which the characters Jessica 6 and Logan 5 are shown a hallway filled with frozen humans, all of which are fully nude.

. . . . searching Google Images now

researching

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2012, 10:08:53 AM »
I remember when Logan's Run came out, it was rated PG and there was a lot of full frontal nudity.  I remember many parents gasping in the theater and being upset by it.

Funny, here is the IMDB parental advisory for Logan's Run.  I don't remember all the nudity that this describes but I do remember seeing Jenny's boobs!

A woman comes to a man's apartment for sex. She changes her mind, but before doing so her buttocks can be seen through her toga.

During the chase scene, the main characters end up in a place called "The Love Shop" where citizens of the city come for orgies. As can be expected, there is both male and female full-frontal nudity.

Later on, the characters strip during a scene in a cave. The female (Jessica 6) shows full-frontal nudity, while the male character (Logan) does not.

When the two escapees are outside they strip and skinny dip. They swim around each other and the woman's breasts are visible, and their buttocks also come into view when they dive under the water.

There is a scene in which the characters Jessica 6 and Logan 5 are shown a hallway filled with frozen humans, all of which are fully nude. Many of the women can be seen fully frontally nude, although the groin area for some is behind clouded ice, but only partial frontal male nudity is shown.
Yep, thanks to google search here is the scene:

[spoiler= Nudity][/spoiler]
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 10:11:40 AM by BumChex »

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2012, 10:23:18 AM »
Yep, thanks to google search here is the scene:

[spoiler= Nudity][/spoiler]

That woman in that scene also starred in Werewolves in London.  Very cute.

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2012, 03:23:29 PM »
Saw Logan's Run in the theater with 2001: A Space Odyssey. Don't think my parents knew about the rating (I saw these with a friend). Both are still two of my favorite films. Jenny was definitely a babe in both Logan's Run and American Werewolf in London (a film that really spooked me when I first saw it).

Just recently I discovered there was a short-run TV Series of Logan's Run: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075527/ -- anyone seen it? I'm waiting for it to come available on Netflix.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 03:25:11 PM by Porkie »

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2012, 07:31:45 PM »
What about Piranha? That was pretty realistic :P

Yeah my Old Man had a pretty good quote about Piranha, He said, "If the big one in Jaws doesn't get you, The little one will"-LOL.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2012, 07:46:04 PM »
Wow, a lot of similar stories to my experience.  I was invited to a classmate's birthday party at the tender age of 8, and his mom took us all to see 'Jaws', which we did not know ahead of time.  The Ben Gardner head pop-out scene was the only one that really freaked me too, mostly because (as the prior post stated) there were none of the obvious muscial cues or other warning.  I guess that's what the horror film industry refers to as a "jump scare".  Probably one of the most famous jump-scares of all time.

I think my mom was kind of naive about the level of fright and gore in these films at the time.  She let my brothers and I go to several movies like this - 'Grizzly', from the following summer of 1976, is one that comes to mind.  Although only one of many 'Jaws' rip-offs that followed the classic, the gory parts were pretty realistic-looking and scary as hell to me at the time.

Yes, 'Jaws' is one of the most quotable films also.  'You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, shark's in the water, OUR shark.....farewell and adieu to you my fair Spanish ladies..... '.  Great stuff. 

Thank you MR, Enjoyed reading your entry here, 2 of Shaw's best moments in the movie were the "Farewell & Adieu song" and the Indianapolis speech.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2012, 07:58:41 PM »
I am a total Jaws freak. I have the one sheet poster hanging 5 ft from where I am sitting. I have seen Jaws easily over 200 times (thanks to HBO and plenty of time as a kid). The new bluray is amazing. There is all sorts of stuff I have never noticed before. During the "let me show you my scar" sequence, Quint at one point is seen to be zipping his pants and buckling his belt. I have NEVER noticed that before. Obviously he had just shown off a scar and was putting his pants back on, but due to editing, that part was cut out. We are only left with him zipping up. Never the less, after 200+ viewings I never saw that due to the muddiness of the old prints. The new restoration clarity is really amazing!

I have a decent collection of Jaws memorabilia, but the one thing I have looked for for years is this:
When I was a kid I found a stash of Penthouse and Hustler mags from the 70s. In one of the Hustlers, there was a pic of Speilberg with his dick out and he was pissing into the mouth of Bruce the mechanical shark. I have no idea what issue it was in. Short of trying to collect the 70s run of Hustler, I dont know where to look. I figured that by now someone would have scanned the pic and it would be on the interweb. Alas no.  Any ideas?

With all the days spent shooting this movie and the shark not working all the time, It's no wonder that Spielberg was "pissed off" at Bruce-LOL.

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2012, 08:58:02 PM »

Yeah my Old Man had a pretty good quote about Piranha, He said, "If the big one in Jaws doesn't get you, The little one will"-LOL.

I remember a funny scene in an old Dennis the Menace story (prob a reprint) where he's at an aquarium and yells that the piranhas were so small they couldn't eat a hot dog much less humans....
I saw the Logan's run series on t.v. - I think it played for just one season on CBS....
A

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2012, 06:56:19 PM »
I remember a funny scene in an old Dennis the Menace story (prob a reprint) where he's at an aquarium and yells that the piranhas were so small they couldn't eat a hot dog much less humans....
I saw the Logan's run series on t.v. - I think it played for just one season on CBS....
A

I never saw that DTM strip, But it does sound funny. And I never saw LR.