Author Topic: Wacky Packages posters - series 1 (spoilers)  (Read 65230 times)

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
Re: Wacky Packages posters - series 1 (spoilers)
« Reply #175 on: September 14, 2012, 07:34:52 AM »
 I think they should of never folded them and just shipped them in tubes. This may have helped sales. It seems funny to put out cash for a box of folded posters, especially when in the past, the ANS series had posters inside the hobby boxes which seemed to be free. Free in the sense that if you bought the box, you get the poster inside. Since the Posters themselves are the reason to buy these (I'm not chasing the bonus cards here), then the Posters should of been kept in good condition for the buyers. I think this could of been a big difference especially for the collectors like us.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #176 on: September 14, 2012, 11:49:22 AM »
I think they should of never folded them and just shipped them in tubes. This may have helped sales. It seems funny to put out cash for a box of folded posters, especially when in the past, the ANS series had posters inside the hobby boxes which seemed to be free. Free in the sense that if you bought the box, you get the poster inside. Since the Posters themselves are the reason to buy these (I'm not chasing the bonus cards here), then the Posters should of been kept in good condition for the buyers. I think this could of been a big difference especially for the collectors like us.

Yes, but then Topps would not be able to offer unfolded versions of the posters on eBay at inflated prices!
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Online DrDeal

« Reply #177 on: September 14, 2012, 12:14:17 PM »
While there may be a genuine disinterest in these posters I think much of the fence sitting or lack of buying stems from the saturation we've seen from Wacky Packages in the past year.

I think these would have sold much better if they had used more good titles. Since these are web only they should have used titles they know actual collectors like. They picked newer / not that cool IMO titles like Canaduh Dry, Rat Guard, Weightes, Call of Doody. Theree are a few I like such a Moose Attacks, Panthers , Coca Cobra and Zilla but most do nothing for me.

DrDeal
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 12:35:45 PM by DrDeal »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #178 on: September 14, 2012, 12:22:39 PM »
Not many on ebay and nothings selling. I think they will be done with series 1. Kinda wish I didn't spend the money.

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #179 on: September 14, 2012, 12:37:59 PM »
Not many on ebay and nothings selling. I think they will be done with series 1. Kinda wish I didn't spend the money.

VERY glad I didn't.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #180 on: September 14, 2012, 01:52:21 PM »
VERY glad I didn't.

I DID...SO I HAVE THESE FOR SALE SEND ME OFFERS VIA PM AND # - THESE ARE FOR SALE: #3,4,5,12,22,8,23,24,...MIGHT HAVE OTHERS MUST CHECK...S&H $2 COMES WITH WRAPPER - BUY MORE THAN ONE REC. DISCOUNT!!ask about specific ones you need...might have those...

Offline Ruffs

« Reply #181 on: September 14, 2012, 01:52:51 PM »
Come on Brad, You love it !!!!!

Online DrDeal

« Reply #182 on: September 14, 2012, 02:06:34 PM »

I got $60 for my dupes from 3 boxes so am out $60 for the set and bonus cards. Not too bad.

On a side note, Topps has some banner ads promoting this release that are popping up on different sites I visit. That kind of marketing is creepy but that's not what is weird. The horizontal banner ad has Franken Bury on it which is NOT in this release.  Duh!

DrDeal

Offline Hawaiian punks

« Reply #183 on: September 15, 2012, 09:11:10 AM »
the titles that they picked for this new series are weak in my opinion, why not mix it up with some series 1-16 titles?
It seems that Topps is all ways using the same titles over and over. I would like to see some of the rarer wackys used.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #184 on: September 15, 2012, 01:49:25 PM »
the titles that they picked for this new series are weak in my opinion, why not mix it up with some series 1-16 titles?
It seems that Topps is all ways using the same titles over and over. I would like to see some of the rarer wackys used.

I noticed with ANS 9 they used a lot of titles that were already released as Foils.

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #185 on: September 18, 2012, 08:38:44 AM »
Blasphemy! Everyone knows these are "beyond sketch & gold cards!!"
eBay auction: #140850869686

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #186 on: September 18, 2012, 04:40:02 PM »
With only a few auctions and not much selling I would say this series is a dud but what could very well happen is that they could turn out to be super rare in the future when new collectors are trying to find them. I don't plan to buy any more boxes but keep an eye on this in the next couple years.

Online crackedjerk

« Reply #187 on: September 18, 2012, 06:14:13 PM »
I know this was mentioned before, but I'm trying to avoid going through the whole thread.  Is this the portfolio people are using for the posters?

http://www.amazon.com/Itoya-Profolio-Evolution-Storage-Display/dp/B00013D2TW/ref=sr_1_1?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1345057371&sr=1-1&keywords=Itoya+Art+Profolio+Evolution+Storage%2FDisplay+Book+13+in.+x+19+in

If you are using one, are you happy with it?

Thanks for any info!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #188 on: September 18, 2012, 06:16:42 PM »
I know this was mentioned before, but I'm trying to avoid going through the whole thread.  Is this the portfolio people are using for the posters?

http://www.amazon.com/Itoya-Profolio-Evolution-Storage-Display/dp/B00013D2TW/ref=sr_1_1?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1345057371&sr=1-1&keywords=Itoya+Art+Profolio+Evolution+Storage%2FDisplay+Book+13+in.+x+19+in

Thanks for any info!

It is this one but this isn't listed with Prime
http://www.amazon.com/Portfolio-inches-Storage-Display-Sleeves/dp/B0016ML7YE/ref=pd_sim_ac_1

It's pretty good but the pages are super thin. I guess I'm used to the nice ultra pro pages.

Offline Buzzooka

« Reply #189 on: September 19, 2012, 09:19:36 AM »
So has anyone gotten or seen any original art? How do you win it? Is there something in the box or in an individual pack?

Online crackedjerk

« Reply #190 on: September 19, 2012, 09:51:14 AM »
It is this one but this isn't listed with Prime
http://www.amazon.com/Portfolio-inches-Storage-Display-Sleeves/dp/B0016ML7YE/ref=pd_sim_ac_1

It's pretty good but the pages are super thin. I guess I'm used to the nice ultra pro pages.

Thanks for the link!  From a relatively quick perusal (did I spell that correctly?), I can't really tell any difference between the two.  That's interesting given that they are from the same company.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #191 on: September 19, 2012, 10:53:30 AM »
Thanks for the link!  From a relatively quick perusal (did I spell that correctly?), I can't really tell any difference between the two.  That's interesting given that they are from the same company.

Over the past 2 years, I picked up one of each. About the only difference is one has a "tougher" more plasticized cover than the other. Both would be fine for holding the posters. I check Amazon occasionally for several of the different sized portfolios because you can sometimes find some really nicely priced ones. I use a smalled one for the WP advert and box posters. The prices on ebay are all over the place for the same item.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline chickenfat2010

« Reply #192 on: September 19, 2012, 07:05:25 PM »
With only a few auctions and not much selling I would say this series is a dud but what could very well happen is that they could turn out to be super rare in the future when new collectors are trying to find them. I don't plan to buy any more boxes but keep an eye on this in the next couple years.
I think the issue with the Wacky Posters series one, at least with some collectors mentalities, is that this is not a limited edition print run. There is no number attached with this series one poster print run at all. They are like regular edition (not limited edition) wacky pack postcards, which have no set print run and in fact could be reprinted and continued to be sold if Topps wanted to do that (if it was profitable for them to do that). Topps could reprint Wacky Postcards series 3 right now and start selling that product again on their website for the next five years if they want to. Just because Topps is throwing in promo cards (which might also be über available and reprintable) and as little as three certificates for original art (who knows...maybe only rough original art like they offered for Old School 3) doesn't mean that this is not a plain old mass produced regular run wacky series.

PS With that said, the artwork looks great on this scale and it's excellent glossy paper! I like the series. I'm just not that interested in it as a sometme collector of rarer modern wackies

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #193 on: September 19, 2012, 08:12:00 PM »
I don't care a bit about future value, all I know is they brought back the posters! I'm psyched, even if the selection wasn't ideal - hell, it wasn't ideal in 1974 either but I still love 'em.

Online DrDeal

« Reply #194 on: September 21, 2012, 03:06:41 AM »

Thanks for any info!

Received the display book from the link yesterday.  Nice book with room for the first series AND the second so I am happy.  Hopefully they will do a series two with good titles.

DrDeal

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #195 on: October 05, 2012, 05:38:27 PM »
SO, now that some time has gone by, does anyone know about the "randomly inserted certificates redeemable for an original 2012 Wacky Package Poster Series One Painting"? I am wondering how these certificates are inserted. Inserted into the boxes, in an envelope like the sketches? Inserted right inside the packs with the poster inside?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #196 on: October 10, 2012, 07:35:59 AM »
Maybe that is why Leslie bought so many poster boxes - to win some art.
eBay auction: #140862582466

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
« Reply #197 on: October 10, 2012, 12:19:41 PM »
I buy those portfolio folder things from Dick Blick Art Supplies...or Cheap Joe's Art Supplies.  Both places are on line, and I'm pretty sure I get them for a lot less than the price on the link above.

Offline jaylynch

« Reply #198 on: October 10, 2012, 12:26:10 PM »
And  Blick's  store-brand item is the same thing, and cheaper yet.   http://www.dickblick.com/products/blick-basic-series-presentation-books/?clickTracking=true

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #199 on: October 10, 2012, 12:40:16 PM »
I buy those portfolio folder things from Dick Blick Art Supplies...or Cheap Joe's Art Supplies.  Both places are on line, and I'm pretty sure I get them for a lot less than the price on the link above.

I did a quick comparison of some of the Itoya Art Profolios using web address for Dick Blick:    http://www.dickblick.com/products/itoya-original-art-profolios. Looks like the prices are pretty comparable with Amazon. I was able to find some of the items for $3 or $4 cheaper on Amazon for certain sellers because of free shipping, others were higher. Guess the best practice is to check 2 or 3 places to see who currently has the best price/shipping right before buying. But Jay may get an "ultra-talented" discount for art supplies that I am not privy too.

The Dick Blick brand items are about half the price of the Itoya portfolios. Are they as nice?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 12:44:52 PM by sco(o)t »

Offline jaylynch

« Reply #200 on: October 10, 2012, 03:50:17 PM »
I think probably Dick Blick perhaps hires Iota to make the Dick Blick portfolios.  I have both types, and they appear to be exactly the same thing.  Only difference is the label. On close comparison, some of the Blick folders seem to have a little thinner covers than some of the Iota folders...  But it may be that all of the Iota folders now have thinner covers now. Some of the Iota ones I have are ten years old.  It may be that the older Iota ones have thicker covers than the newer Iota ones.  But it doesn't matter.  None of the covers are thick enough to store 'em vertically anyway.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 04:07:25 PM by jaylynch »

Offline jaylynch

« Reply #201 on: October 10, 2012, 04:04:23 PM »
Since these Iota and blick folders don't stand upright without reinforcement, I tend to engastrate several of 'em inside of these things to fit 'em into taller shelving units.  But I buy these by the hundreds, so I get a better price for 'em.  http://www.wildcatwholesale.com/ProductCart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=51

Offline jaylynch

« Reply #202 on: October 10, 2012, 04:13:11 PM »
Since you'd want to keep out UV light, I recommend only black photo boxes...so here is a link to just those.  I don't know what size the posters are...but some of these probably fit the portfolio binders in the size of your choice.  http://www.wildcatwholesale.com/ProductCart/pc/Black-Leather-Photo-Boxes-c23.htm  They also keep dust and smoke from the open portion of the portfolio pages.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #203 on: October 10, 2012, 05:38:05 PM »
I think probably Dick Blick perhaps hires Iota to make the Dick Blick portfolios.  I have both types, and they appear to be exactly the same thing.  Only difference is the label. On close comparison, some of the Blick folders seem to have a little thinner covers than some of the Iota folders...  But it may be that all of the Iota folders now have thinner covers now. Some of the Iota ones I have are ten years old.  It may be that the older Iota ones have thicker covers than the newer Iota ones.  But it doesn't matter.  None of the covers are thick enough to store 'em vertically anyway.

Nice to know. At about $22 for some of the larger sized Iota portfolios, the savings on the DB ones old be great, especially knowing quality is not compromised. I did notice that in some of the sizes, Iota appears to make 2 slightly different types of covers. The more expensive is a thicker, smooth cover whereas the less expensive is a thinner slightly textured cover.

Online lucidjc

« Reply #204 on: October 10, 2012, 07:05:01 PM »

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #205 on: October 10, 2012, 09:22:14 PM »
Ain't it Cool News has an ad banner for the Poster Series. Usually the ad is for some sort of film related something. This is the first time I have seen any type of WP product advertised somewhere else.

http://www.aintitcool.com/
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

Online lucidjc

« Reply #206 on: October 10, 2012, 09:41:46 PM »
Ain't it Cool News has an ad banner for the Poster Series. Usually the ad is for some sort of film related something. This is the first time I have seen any type of WP product advertised somewhere else.

http://www.aintitcool.com/

I'm almost sure that ad is a creepy cookie that sends info back to the mothership. The ads are tailored to your web browsing habits.

Online koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #207 on: October 11, 2012, 04:11:49 AM »
I'm almost sure that ad is a creepy cookie that sends info back to the mothership. The ads are tailored to your web browsing habits.

That explains why I keep getting ads for oreo cookies!

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #208 on: November 02, 2012, 12:52:22 PM »
SO, now that some time has gone by, does anyone know about the "randomly inserted certificates redeemable for an original 2012 Wacky Package Poster Series One Painting"? I am wondering how these certificates are inserted. Inserted into the boxes, in an envelope like the sketches? Inserted right inside the packs with the poster inside?

I guess we will never know. I would be cool to know if anyone found this "certificate for 2012 art". I also wonder how many of those were in the Poster boxes?

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #209 on: September 07, 2013, 07:44:40 AM »
Anyone looking for unfolded sets?
Anyone even care?

eBay auction: #400568416567

anything