Author Topic: Wacky Packages posters - series 1 (spoilers)  (Read 65143 times)

Offline crackedjerk

Wacky Packages posters - series 1 (spoilers)
« on: August 14, 2012, 01:42:05 PM »
Just found this announcement from Non-Sport Update on Facebook:

http://www.nsu-magazine.com/new-product-announcement-wacky-packages-posters-series-1/

While it sounds promising, I'm concerned about two things.  First, will it be possible to get all three promo cards?  I hope so (that is, without spending tons of money).  Second, which titles will be produced.  I'd prefer either Original Series titles (which I doubt it will be) or some of the "better" ANS titles.  Of course, "better" is a relative term, but I don't think Topps does a great job, in my opinion, of the ANS titles it has chosen for things like luggage tags or cereal boxes from ANS9 (really, Topps, no Count Funkula?  Are you kidding me?).  Still, it's fun to have some new Wackys to look forward to.  I'm just going to take a little more cautious approach until I learn more.

Offline dth1971

RE: Wacky Packages posters - series 1 (spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 01:56:27 PM »
Are the posters an exclusive from ShopTopps.com rather than being sold in stores like Target and Walmart?

Will the Wacky Packages posters replace the Wacky Packages postcard series?

And is this to tie us over until ShopTopps gets Wacky Packages Old School Series 4 by the time the Fall season comes?

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 03:00:58 PM »
Just found this announcement from Non-Sport Update on Facebook:

http://www.nsu-magazine.com/new-product-announcement-wacky-packages-posters-series-1/

While it sounds promising, I'm concerned about two things.  First, will it be possible to get all three promo cards?  I hope so (that is, without spending tons of money).  Second, which titles will be produced.  I'd prefer either Original Series titles (which I doubt it will be) or some of the "better" ANS titles.  Of course, "better" is a relative term, but I don't think Topps does a great job, in my opinion, of the ANS titles it has chosen for things like luggage tags or cereal boxes from ANS9 (really, Topps, no Count Funkula?  Are you kidding me?).  Still, it's fun to have some new Wackys to look forward to.  I'm just going to take a little more cautious approach until I learn more.

It looks like the fine print says "One promo card included free with every box purchase". Sounds pricey.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 03:03:10 PM »
Are the posters an exclusive from ShopTopps.com rather than being sold in stores like Target and Walmart?

Will the Wacky Packages posters replace the Wacky Packages postcard series?

And is this to tie us over until ShopTopps gets Wacky Packages Old School Series 4 by the time the Fall season comes?
Yes. No. I guess if you want to look at it that way.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 03:23:34 PM »
It looks like the fine print says "One promo card included free with every box purchase". Sounds pricey.
  just wait until you see how much topps charges for the oversize binder for these posters!! ...

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 03:24:58 PM »
And is this to tie us over until ...
tie us over like a straight jacket maybe

[expando]http://www.wackypackages.org/stickers/11th_series/comit_small_smaller_images.jpg[/expando]

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 03:37:10 PM »
Good catch, glad to have the early word on these.  Not sure if they will be a hit but I know most on the forum will go after the three promos.  Glad they made it only three, if there was a unique promo with each of the 24 posters that would be hard to complete!

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 04:02:34 PM »
or some of the "better" ANS titles.  Of course, "better" is a relative term, but I don't think Topps does a great job, in my opinion, of the ANS titles it has chosen for things like luggage tags or cereal boxes from ANS9 (really, Topps, no Count Funkula?  Are you kidding me?).  Still, it's fun to have some new Wackys to look forward to.  I'm just going to take a little more cautious approach until I learn more.

I agree. Topps sucks at picking titles for inserts. I'm going to wait to see a checklist before I even consider buying any of these.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 04:12:29 PM »
I agree. Topps sucks at picking titles for inserts. I'm going to wait to see a checklist before I even consider buying any of these.

Well at least it looks like they are going to include Cannibals which IMO is the best ANS title ever!
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 04:14:58 PM »

agree as well - although the two ANS titles shown are 2 of my favorites, which is a good start. But what are the other 19?

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 05:08:37 PM »
although the two ANS titles shown are 2 of my favorites, which is a good start. But what are the other 19?
Aren't there 3 ANS titles showing? So wouldn't that make "other 21"?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 05:11:14 PM by bigtomi »

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 05:15:31 PM »
Doncha mean other 22, rocket scientist?   LOL
24(total posters) - 3 (new titles) - 2 (reprints shown in ad) = 19 remaining reprints

that third title in the ad is new, right?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 05:18:20 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 05:21:47 PM »
24 (total posters) - 3 (new titles) - 2 (reprints shown in ad) = 19 remaining reprints

I think, but now I'm not sure, the wording is kind of ambiguous to me...guess we'll just see what we get in 2 weeks.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 05:55:29 PM »
They need to include all three promo cards with a three box order. If it is random I will not be pleased. 

DrDeal

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 06:08:53 PM »
I think, but now I'm not sure, the wording is kind of ambiguous to me...guess we'll just see what we get in 2 weeks.

Oh just admit you were blindsided by Patrick's superb logic ;)

Also, considering the following:

- 3 never before published titles will be included
- 3 exclusive promo cards will be issued

what are the odds the 3 promo cards will be the 3 new titles  :-\

Offline dth1971

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 06:48:00 PM »
24(total posters) - 3 (new titles) - 2 (reprints shown in ad) = 19 remaining reprints

And like the original 1974 Wacky Packages Posters, will they be more detailed/larger artwork than their sticker counterparts?

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2012, 06:52:48 PM »
And like the original 1974 Wacky Packages Posters, will they be more detailed/larger artwork than their sticker counterparts?
Nope. Same artwork, just larger.
These posters are wider than the old ones, which means the original art will fill up the poster area just right.  New, taller art isn't needed.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2012, 07:01:16 PM »
In terms of the bonus cards I just noticed it was one per box.  I have a feeling this is going to make the ANS 9 cereal bonus cards seem inexpensive in comparison.  Anyone have a idea on what these poster packs will go for?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2012, 07:03:09 PM »
I don't know if I'm excited about these or not. I haven't collected the original posters because Im not sure how to store them for easy show and I see these having the same issue. Maybe I'm over thinking this.....

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2012, 07:53:30 PM »
I don't know if I'm excited about these or not. I haven't collected the original posters because Im not sure how to store them for easy show and I see these having the same issue. Maybe I'm over thinking this.....

I'm with you. Says these  Posters are 12.5″ x 18.5″   I wish they were a bit smaller at 11" x 17" then they could be folded in half and placed in a one pocket binder page so you could see both halves.  I have a portfolio binder thats larger than a normal binder for some over-sized material but its only something like 13" x 13"
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Final Step

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2012, 08:21:01 AM »
They need to include all three promo cards with a three box order. If it is random I will not be pleased. 

DrDeal

I agree completely!

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2012, 09:03:56 AM »
I'm with you. Says these  Posters are 12.5″ x 18.5″   I wish they were a bit smaller at 11" x 17" then they could be folded in half and placed in a one pocket binder page so you could see both halves.  I have a portfolio binder thats larger than a normal binder for some over-sized material but its only something like 13" x 13"

I'll have to check the exact measurements, but I did buy an "artist's portfolio" (not sure if I'm using that term correctly) that holds the original posters quite well.  As long as the new posters fit into it, I'll just buy another one of these.  As I recall, I picked it up on ebay and it wasn't too expensive. 

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2012, 12:48:53 PM »
Nope. Same artwork, just larger.
These posters are wider than the old ones, which means the original art will fill up the poster area just right.  New, taller art isn't needed.

Also, knowing that the artists do varying sized pieces, they are probably using art pieces that are larger so when the are blown up they still look sharp.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2012, 12:49:36 PM »
Oh just admit you were blindsided by Patrick's superb logic ;)
I always am.   ;D

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 01:58:13 PM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2012, 03:03:51 PM »

Offline Swiski

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2012, 03:09:42 PM »
Ugh! Not too keen on this poster idea. There's no way Topps is packaging these flat without a fold or two. That means there will be white fold lines in the artwork. I'm tempted by the 3 new unreleased titles (which are also probably the 3 different promo cards) and I will probably get a set online at some point. One box will not get you a complete set.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 03:11:13 PM by Swiski »

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2012, 03:57:17 PM »
Ugh! Not too keen on this poster idea. There's no way Topps is packaging these flat without a fold or two. That means there will be white fold lines in the artwork. I'm tempted by the 3 new unreleased titles (which are also probably the 3 different promo cards) and I will probably get a set online at some point. One box will not get you a complete set.

I can envision the Topps Vault selling sets of these posters UNFOLDED at a premium price. If they are not going to retail why do they need to be folded and put into packs? Why not sell a flat box that holds the assortment of posters?

DrDeal

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2012, 05:13:26 PM »
Woohoo, bring on the posters! My favorite Wacky posession is a complete set of 1973 test posters and proper 1974 posters, including Cheapios, Weakies and Toadal (one of my favorite Wackys ever).

I do feel gouged by Topps every time they set up chases that make you buy many more boxes than you otherwise would, but that's down to the collector bug.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2012, 05:33:41 PM »
Woohoo, bring on the posters! My favorite Wacky posession is a complete set of 1973 test posters and proper 1974 posters, including Cheapios, Weakies and Toadal (one of my favorite Wackys ever).

I do feel gouged by Topps every time they set up chases that make you buy many more boxes than you otherwise would, but that's down to the collector bug.

You have all the 1973 and 1974 versions?  AWESOME!  I loved these as a kid!!  My set is mixed between years, and still missing a couple of common titles, but I don't work too hard on them because I am, sadly, also missing Toadal.........

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2012, 07:54:20 PM »
  just wait until you see how much topps charges for the oversize binder for these posters!! ...

LOL !  :great:
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2012, 09:01:11 AM »
I can envision the Topps Vault selling sets of these posters UNFOLDED at a premium price. If they are not going to retail why do they need to be folded and put into packs? Why not sell a flat box that holds the assortment of posters?

DrDeal

Topps is doing it with unopened/unfolded GPK posters from 1986. $50.00 a pop.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2012, 10:45:08 AM »

Are those the folded or unfolded versions?? do you hang all these up?? I have unfolded ones via Topps they are awesome...might put them in frames

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2012, 10:59:30 AM »
They are all folded though I have another unfolded Toadal. I have two framed, Cheapios and Burpsi Cola, otherwise they live in a nice portfolio folder. I've also got a full box that I display. At one point someone on the old forum was selling a complete set of unfolded posters for around $5k, I wish I had that money to burn - I mean invest!