Author Topic: Idea: Character Figurines  (Read 4916 times)

Offline 7-Pup

Idea: Character Figurines
« on: August 09, 2012, 02:37:27 AM »
Another idea. Hand painted 3D figurines measuring a few inches in height of some of the zaniest Wacky Package characters of all time. Could be made possibly of pewter, wood or rubber. If collectors go for characters on sketch cards so much, think of the possibilities.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
Re: Idea: Character Figurines
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 05:59:34 AM »
Another idea. Hand painted 3D figurines measuring a few inches in height of some of the zaniest Wacky Package characters of all time. Could be made possibly of pewter, wood or rubber. If collectors go for characters on sketch cards so much, think of the possibilities.

How 'bout rubber stretch-oooo Wacky Pack characters....make zany faces....scare your friends... :] :] :]

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 10:23:34 AM »

They did something like that a few years ago but it never made it past the prototypes for some reason.  I think they were made of pewter.  I remember some of them being sold on ebay.  The Ajerx dude is one that sticks in my head.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline 7-Pup

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 10:33:08 AM »
How 'bout rubber stretch-oooo Wacky Pack characters....make zany faces....scare your friends... :] :] :]
That's a great idea too. Anything to bring the characters to life.
They did something like that a few years ago but it never made it past the prototypes for some reason.  I think they were made of pewter.  I remember some of them being sold on ebay.  The Ajerx dude is one that sticks in my head.
I believe you are correct. I have the Ajerx dude and Gadzooka teacher. They are nice but not 3D or lifelike.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 11:27:18 AM »
That's a great idea too. Anything to bring the characters to life. I believe you are correct. I have the Ajerx dude and Gadzooka teacher. They are nice but not 3D or lifelike.

They aren't 3-D figures?  You mean they are flat?  I thought the ones I remember were 3-D head figures.

Offline 7-Pup

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 11:49:50 AM »
They aren't 3-D figures?  You mean they are flat?  I thought the ones I remember were 3-D head figures.
They are head figures but are not 3-D figures. They are flat. They have little loops on top to put a chain or string on to make it a necklace.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 12:27:21 PM »
They are head figures but are not 3-D figures. They are flat. They have little loops on top to put a chain or string on to make it a necklace.

I also remember someone doing a "one-off' figure for Topps to look at that was definitely 3-D, and it was quite a bit larger than the ones you have.  I want to say it was the Skimpy guy. 

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 01:27:46 PM »
I also remember someone doing a "one-off' figure for Topps to look at that was definitely 3-D, and it was quite a bit larger than the ones you have.  I want to say it was the Skimpy guy. 

Yeah, I think Plan9 (Alfrey) was doing wacky sculpture prototypes, but I'm not sure they were ever produced. Or were they?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 02:44:39 PM »
Yeah, I think Plan9 (Alfrey) was doing wacky sculpture prototypes, but I'm not sure they were ever produced. Or were they?

Yep, Mark was doing the 3-D sculptures.  I believe he did 3 prototypes, all the same, Dr. Popper.  Here's a pic:

The other items being discussed are 2-D pewter pins and pendants.  Those prototypes were done by the Stepper brothers with Neil Camera, and included the Gadzooka teacher, Ajerx guy, and the Wacky Packages logo (with the logo in several different colors).  Aside from plain pewter, some sets of pendants were done with gunmetal, silver and gold finishes.  Here's a sample of the pewter pins:

« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 02:51:25 PM by RawGoo »

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 03:05:27 PM »
I would love to see some 3-d figures of classic Wacky characters produced.  I think the price would have to be "low/reasonable" for them to sell many, but if the prices were, I don't know if there would be much profit to be made.  It's hard to define "low/reasonable", but, say, $25-50 for a decent figure would do it.  I don't know that I'd pay $100 or more for one, even if it was of real high quality.  If I did, I suppose I'd get only my favorite one (if a series were made) as opposed to trying to "collect them all".

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 03:15:25 PM »
Rob, I recalled this, too. I found references to a prototype being made in this thread (starting in this post):

http://www.wackypackages.org/wackyforum/messages.php?t=2217&a=1&mn=8&stealth=

[use username guest and password guest to login, if you don't already have an ID at Greg's forum; login first, then click link above]

As Greg stated, it was to be Skimpy...but, I cannot find any further references to it. And, I could SWEAR I actually saw a pic of the prototype, but can't find that, either...

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 03:47:31 PM »
As Greg stated, it was to be Skimpy...but, I cannot find any further references to it. And, I could SWEAR I actually saw a pic of the prototype, but can't find that, either...
I saw the picture too. I logged back in and found the message I had that had the link to the pic, but the link is now dead.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 09:01:38 PM »
I remember the forum buzz about these.  It's a shame they couldn't get it done. 

Mark is such a crazy-talented sculptor, and he loves Wacky Packages - I've no doubt they would have been stunning. 

I suppose in the end someone decided the market couldn't support the product....   
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, 06:59:56 AM »
Rob, I recalled this, too. I found references to a prototype being made in this thread (starting in this post):

http://www.wackypackages.org/wackyforum/messages.php?t=2217&a=1&mn=8&stealth=

[use username guest and password guest to login, if you don't already have an ID at Greg's forum; login first, then click link above]

The more I think about it I think I saw the actual Skimpy figure at Greg's place a few years ago.  It was fairly large if I remember correctly, like maybe 12" high.

anything