Author Topic: My First Post - Need Information on the cloth series  (Read 6971 times)

Offline Hungry Jerk Kid

My First Post - Need Information on the cloth series
« on: April 10, 2010, 03:12:09 PM »
Hey -
I recently have gotten back into the hobby after a 37 year absence. I just bought the cloth series and was wondering what would be the best way to store these. They arrived in soft sleeves and then they were inserted into hard sleeves. Most of the backs have started to detach from the stickers (I knew this when I purchased them). I would like to know what would be the best way to store the cloth series from now on. Should I take them out of the sleeves (I took one out to inspect it and the "frame" of the sticker came apart) and put them in another storage device? I've also heard that it's a good idea to put them in the refrigerator. I would appreciate any advice you can give.

Thanks.

Offline Buz

• Kaijuzoologist
Re: My First Post - Need Information on the cloth series
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 03:45:21 PM »
I'm interested in this, too. I can tell you one thing that WON'T work. I have a few cloth stickers, and I put them in waxed envelopes, which work for old stamps (at least that's what my Dad kept his stamps in). Plus, the stickers did slide in and out of the wax envelopes pretty easily, with no sign of falling apart, like they did with soft sleeves or top loaders. (When I bought these stickers, I had to cut the top loaders apart with an X-acto knife because the two halves of the stickers had completely adhered to the insides.)

Well, my logic wasn't too good -- after a few years, the stickers have now stuck to the insides of the wax envelopes, and I will have to cut those apart to get them out as well.

tl;dr version: wax envelopes won't work, at least not in the long term.
"Gamera always wins!"

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 04:11:00 PM »
Hey -
I recently have gotten back into the hobby after a 37 year absence. I just bought the cloth series and was wondering what would be the best way to store these. They arrived in soft sleeves and then they were inserted into hard sleeves. Most of the backs have started to detach from the stickers (I knew this when I purchased them). I would like to know what would be the best way to store the cloth series from now on. Should I take them out of the sleeves (I took one out to inspect it and the "frame" of the sticker came apart) and put them in another storage device? I've also heard that it's a good idea to put them in the refrigerator. I would appreciate any advice you can give.

Thanks.
I haven';t heard of any tried and proven method that was worked for years.  I would have thought snaptites or anything that stores them somewhat loosely as it relates to front surface contact would work.  I would think penny sleeves, plastic pages and the like would be horrible options.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 04:22:41 PM »
Hey -

Thanks.

I do keep mine in 9-pocket sleeves but if I don't swap out the sleeves every few months I run into trouble.  Once they start to stick I have to very carefully slide and maneuver an envelope opener across them to break them free, and it's a very time consuming process.  I hope to someday find a real sweet set without the stains and if I do I'll put them in screw-downs where it's a little looser.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 06:24:54 PM »
tl;dr version: wax envelopes won't work, at least not in the long term.
The envelopes that you are talking about for stamps are called "glassine" envelopes and I don't believe that they are made from wax.  I seem to remember people talking about storing their cloth stickers with small sheets of wax paper between them and keeping them in a freezer (not a fridge).

However, don't take my word for it.  I am just recalling things from my fuzzy memory.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 09:31:52 PM »
Hey -
I recently have gotten back into the hobby after a 37 year absence. I just bought the cloth series and was wondering what would be the best way to store these. They arrived in soft sleeves and then they were inserted into hard sleeves. Most of the backs have started to detach from the stickers (I knew this when I purchased them). I would like to know what would be the best way to store the cloth series from now on. Should I take them out of the sleeves (I took one out to inspect it and the "frame" of the sticker came apart) and put them in another storage device? I've also heard that it's a good idea to put them  :]in the refrigerator. I would appreciate any advice you can give.

Thanks.

Cloth is the worst and that is why a lot of collectors don't collect them. I don't know of any decent way to store them other then having them slabbed by psa. I can't imagine leaving them in a freezer. Can you imagine, Hun, can you grab the pizza pockets next to my wacky collection?

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 04:59:45 PM »
I seem to remember people talking about storing their cloth stickers with small sheets of wax paper between them and keeping them in a freezer (not a fridge).
I don't have much to add, except that, generally, freezers tend to have higher humidity levels than refrigerators.
Maybe this factor is important in storing cloth stickers, I don't know.

Offline skimpyboy

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 08:59:27 AM »
As Ernie stated, snaptites are the best. I have about 75 cloths and I've found this is the best way to keep them. They get air, they remain lose, AND I submit them to PSA this way, rather than put them in the Card Saver envelloped which COMPLETELY destroys them..

Offline Buz

• Kaijuzoologist
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 09:22:05 AM »
As Ernie stated, snaptites are the best. I have about 75 cloths and I've found this is the best way to keep them. They get air, they remain lose, AND I submit them to PSA this way, rather than put them in the Card Saver envelloped which COMPLETELY destroys them..
Thanks, and thanks Ernie, for this advice. I never considered minimizing front surface contact. Now I have to carve them out of the glassine envelopes and transfer them. (And thanks for the term "glassine envelopes", Busted.)
"Gamera always wins!"

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 09:30:09 AM »
I hate to be a bearer of bad news, but I put mine in snap-tites for exactly this reason, and they still seem to be sticking.
At this point, I'm just leaving them in there, I have no better idea anyway.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 03:37:21 PM »
I hate to be a bearer of bad news, but I put mine in snap-tites for exactly this reason, and they still seem to be sticking.

Maybe the best way to store them is to peel them and sew them onto you jeans!

:D :D :D
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 04:47:29 PM »
Maybe the best way to store them is to peel them and sew them onto you jeans!

:D :D :D

I did that but then I had a hard time finding a snap-tite to fit my jeans.
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline Buz

• Kaijuzoologist
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 06:49:14 PM »
I did that but then I had a hard time finding a snap-tite to fit my jeans.
See??? Cloth Wackys are a no-win situation!
"Gamera always wins!"

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 06:52:06 PM »

I actually tried baby powder!  I sprinkled a little on each card and then brushed it back and forth with a detailing brush until the whiteness disappeared.  It actually helped as it absorbed some of the glue, but sure enough they eventually started to stick again.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 07:12:42 PM »
This is why I don't collect cloths. 
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
  • Take a "BITE" out of life!
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 07:18:13 PM »
This is why I don't collect cloths. 
The "Cloth Series" were the 1st Wackys I ever bought so they are very special to me, but I only have a couple because of these issues.
"Treat others the way you like to be treated"

anything