Author Topic: A WP Unopened Pack Reference Library  (Read 175996 times)

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
Re: A WP Unopened Pack Reference Library
« Reply #315 on: August 31, 2013, 07:57:51 AM »
When I upload an image, when it finishes, the codes appear right underneath. One of the URLs says "direct link" and the other just says "link."
Like Loren, I see no options at all. After selecting the file and the button "Upload it!", the postimg popup window closes and the code is placed directly into the message window without any other choices.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #316 on: August 31, 2013, 08:24:52 AM »
Why do you have a post image pop up window? Are you using a Mac?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #317 on: August 31, 2013, 08:27:44 AM »
I'm going directly to the postimage.org page and working there. I then copy the codes to wherever I want to use them. I don't see how a pop up window would arise.

• Administrator
« Reply #318 on: August 31, 2013, 08:33:01 AM »
so you aren't using the 'add image to post' link in the Post Reply? that goes to postimg, and brings up the pop up.
I've completely stopped using that link and have gone directly to tinypic. sounds like you go directly to postimage to bypass that link as well.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #319 on: August 31, 2013, 08:34:52 AM »
LOL, I never even knew that link was there. I just always went directly to postimage.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #320 on: August 31, 2013, 10:40:49 AM »
LOL, I never even knew that link was there. I just always went directly to postimage.

Ah, that explains it!

You are using the postimage site directly and then copying the link, so your images don’t utilize thumb nails or ads, the same way some of us use Photobucket/Tinypic etc.

(FYI, no registering or signup is required at postimage, Tinypic, and many others)

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #321 on: September 01, 2013, 05:03:45 AM »
That is exactly what I was doing.  Using the "add image" link in the reply dialog.  Now I will use the "add image" button and insert my direct links from postimg.

So back to the topic at hand.  Anyone need a slightly used BigTumi sticker!

Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline MadMike

« Reply #322 on: September 01, 2013, 01:43:49 PM »
This explains why I was told not to swallow gum.

• Administrator
« Reply #323 on: September 01, 2013, 02:46:49 PM »
  Anyone need a slightly used BigTumi sticker!

what do you mean slightly used? That baby is MINT, untouched & pack-fresh after 30 years.

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #324 on: October 09, 2013, 02:26:34 PM »

Dave,

I just discovered this thread today....thanks a mil for posting all these images!!  What a great thread to read with all the history; reminds me of the good ol days (were they only 14 years ago?).  lol.

Now I have a 2nd, much "bigger" project to get these images into my OS collection binders...
Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #325 on: October 10, 2013, 07:58:12 AM »
Glad you enjoyed it!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #326 on: August 07, 2014, 01:33:12 PM »
Just scored the last two 10th series packs I needed. That makes a total of 62 distinct packs from series 1-16, and finishes up the set of 1-16 packs that I'm sure exist.

There are two more packs...a 7th and an 11th...which may or may not exist.

Also scored a fun pack I'd been looking for for quite awhile.

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #327 on: August 07, 2014, 02:05:07 PM »
Congrats Dave! Quite an achievement.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #328 on: August 07, 2014, 02:13:18 PM »
Congrats Dave! Quite an achievement.

Thanks, 13 years in the making!

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #329 on: August 07, 2014, 03:52:34 PM »
CongRatz Dave!  So what were the last two you needed?  Specific ad variations?
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #330 on: August 07, 2014, 04:41:01 PM »
CongRatz Dave!  So what were the last two you needed?  Specific ad variations?

Yes, they were both 21- fold, one blue can and one brown can, specific ads. Amazingly, Bob1968 had both of them amongst a large group of 10ths he had acquired. There had not been a 21-fold 10 th pack on eBay in four years, suddenly Bob turns up with about 20 of them!

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #331 on: August 07, 2014, 05:34:08 PM »
That is one amazing achievement -- many congrats!   :00123103:

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #332 on: August 07, 2014, 07:10:11 PM »
That is so freakin' cool! I love when I am able to complete some aspect of my collection, especially one that goes on for years. I once spent close to 30 years (ages 7-37) putting together a complete set of the 1975 and 1977 7-11 Slurpee Marvel Superhero cups with checklists. There were huge gaps where I was not actively searching, but in a way I always was looking for those cups....yard sales, thrift stores, comic cons, pre-internet catalogs, etc. They were always in the back of my mind. Something in my brain wasn't satisfied until I had them all. I am sure that in 2001, you didn't say "I am gonna spend the next 13 years putting this collection together." You stuck to it and now you are the envy of your peers...haha. Seriously, this is an awesome accomplishment. Congratulations.
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #333 on: August 07, 2014, 08:52:23 PM »
Actually, from 2001-2008, I had no intention of pursuing ad variations at all. I bought out Andy Herrmann's collection in 2009, that was the moment when I believed it might be possible. Still, combining his collection and mine, I had one legit 11th green pack out of the 7 or 8 that exist. A lot of things had to fall into place to make this possible. How it all came together has intrigue, suspense...right down to the final package almost being lost by USPS! It would make a great book, if there were more than 10 people who understand/care about the goal....

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #334 on: August 07, 2014, 08:59:15 PM »
Another interesting twist was when I bought Greg Grant's pack collection in 2011. The main reason was to get the 1st series pack. Yet, in an amazing coincidence, there was almost no overlap in the ad variations between his packs and mine. His yellow poster pack, all 3 OPC Reissue packs, 11th yellow...all were variants I needed. That's when I started to feel the hand of fate on my side.

BTW, beyond the series 1-16 packs, I believe I'm now a 10-cent Ads pack and the two seemingly non-existent
OPC (series 1 and 3) packs away from complete pack nirvana.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #335 on: August 07, 2014, 10:07:51 PM »
Another interesting twist was when I bought Greg Grant's pack collection in 2011. The main reason was to get the 1st series pack. Yet, in an amazing coincidence, there was almost no overlap in the ad variations between his packs and mine. His yellow poster pack, all 3 OPC Reissue packs, 11th yellow...all were variants I needed. That's when I started to feel the hand of fate on my side.

BTW, beyond the series 1-16 packs, I believe I'm now a 10-cent Ads pack and the two seemingly non-existent
OPC (series 1 and 3) packs away from complete pack nirvana.

Congrats on the achievement!  I'd enjoy reading the book, by the way, if you ever write it on how the collection came about.

Good luck on those last few packs keeping you from Nirvana!

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #336 on: August 08, 2014, 08:43:39 AM »
My congrats, as well, Dave! Know you've been chiseling at this for a long time, at Philly shows, eBay, etc. I don't even start it, 'cause I'm sure I'd never have the patience to finish. Incredible job, man!!

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #337 on: August 08, 2014, 11:39:34 AM »
Another interesting twist was when I bought Greg Grant's pack collection in 2011.

I don't mean to get this thread off track or delve into anybody's personal business, but I'm curious if Greg is out of Wackys all together.  He was, obviously, such a big part of the collector world back in the day and now I ahve no idea if he has any involvement whatsoever.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #338 on: August 08, 2014, 12:59:33 PM »
He's not completely inactive, he still attends Philly shows pretty regularly. I wouldn't call him active though.

• Administrator
« Reply #339 on: August 08, 2014, 01:31:12 PM »
congrats as well. pretty amazing feat to determine and track down all the possibilities 30-40 years later.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #340 on: August 08, 2014, 02:41:11 PM »
congrats as well. pretty amazing feat to determine and track down all the possibilities 30-40 years later.

The funny part is, without the internet I would know almost nothing and have even less. There are probably about 2 of the 62 packs that were obtained without any internet involvement.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #341 on: August 11, 2014, 09:45:36 AM »
Just scored the last two 10th series packs I needed. That makes a total of 62 distinct packs from series 1-16, and finishes up the set of 1-16 packs that I'm sure exist.

There are two more packs...a 7th and an 11th...which may or may not exist.

Also scored a fun pack I'd been looking for for quite awhile.

Congrats!  What an amazing collector/historian/archivist/hobbyist journey! 

As for the "may or may not exist" - I have a question.  Is it that the packs NEVER existed, or that you think there may be no remaining unopened examples of them in the world? 

I ask, as I encounter evidence of candy pieces that I know DID exist at one point but examples of them might not have survived to today, and then there are the mythological pieces, where the only evidence of them ever existing is cloudy recollections. 
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #342 on: August 11, 2014, 09:47:06 AM »
It would make a great book, if there were more than 10 people who understand/care about the goal....

Ha!  I can relate.
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #343 on: August 11, 2014, 10:18:14 AM »

As for the "may or may not exist" - I have a question.  Is it that the packs NEVER existed, or that you think there may be no remaining unopened examples of them in the world? 

I ask, as I encounter evidence of candy pieces that I know DID exist at one point but examples of them might not have survived to today, and then there are the mythological pieces, where the only evidence of them ever existing is cloudy recollections. 

I'm defining a pack as a distinct series/wrapper combination. So, for example, there are four different blue wrapper variations, and four different series that used blue wrappers (5,6,7,8). But not every series used each variation. In some cases I'm nearly certain a given combination was not used.

So the answer is, some packs may not ever have been produced. There is no 5th series pack with a 21-fold wrapper carrying the wall poster ad. Some combinations I'm nearly certain don't exist, but others I'm much less certain on. There are really only two where I think existence is possible/likely.

« Reply #344 on: March 19, 2015, 11:01:29 AM »
Bravo! Bravo! Great work Dave! I enjoyed that ride immensely thanks to you and all who posted. I learned A LOT and saw back ads I've never heard of like the necklace, the shaker gum thingy and the ID bracelet. Those red packs are so precious. Seeing those is like watching puppies play. Haha! BBG

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #345 on: May 14, 2015, 02:12:10 PM »
News flash! Another unopened pack that I was almost certain did not exist has surfaced! In 13 years of paying attention, the only blue 8th series packs that ever turned up were 85-fold with wall poster ad.

Years ago I acquired two 8th blues that had the 85-fold no ad wrapper. Greg did not think this pack existed, and borrowed one of mine to scan it. However, once I became educated, both of these packs were clearly re-sealed fakes, and no other example ever showed itself.

Until last week, when Kruk Cards auctioned the lot shown below. While they were mislabeled as 7ths, the checklist showing said otherwise. I also believed they were real because of the source and the fact that both packs had nearly identical qualities. I was the only bidder. It's great to be the only one who knows/cares about this stuff!

Received them today, and opened the one with the loose flap. Everything 100% legit. Another wacky mystery cleared up!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 03:18:10 PM by Paul_Maul »

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #346 on: May 14, 2015, 02:27:17 PM »
News flash! Another unopened pack that I was almost certain did not exist has surfaced! In 13 years of paying attention, the only blue 8th series packs that ever turned up were 85-fold with wall poster ad.

Years ago I acquired two 8th blues that had the 85-fold no ad wrapper. Greg did not think this pack existed, and borrowed one of mine to scan it. However, once I became educated, both of these packs were clearly re-sealed fakes, and no other example ever showed itself.

Until last week, when Kruk Cards auctioned the lot shown below. While they were mislabeled as 7ths, the checklist showing said otherwise. I also believed they were real because of the source and the fact that both packs had nearly identical qualities. I was the only bidder. It's great to be the only one who knows/cares about this stuff!

Received them today, and opened the one with the loose flap. Everything 100% legit. Another wacky mystery cleared up!

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

Not that I don't care, but I've been well warned that "sealed packs" on ebay are questionable, at best.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #347 on: May 14, 2015, 02:39:04 PM »
Not that I don't care, but I've been well warned that "sealed packs" on ebay are questionable, at best.

That's true in many cases. I've developed some radar over the years, and based on what I stated above I was pretty sure they were good...and they were!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #348 on: May 14, 2015, 02:40:27 PM »
I've gotten plenty of fakes on eBay, and plenty of legit packs too. I would certainly be wary of spending a lot on a raw pack. Luckily, these were cheap.

• Administrator
« Reply #349 on: May 14, 2015, 04:38:51 PM »
Congrats! Amazing there were still any no poster warappers left around that late in the game.

anything