Author Topic: A WP Unopened Pack Reference Library  (Read 176013 times)

Offline Paul_Maul

Re: A WP Unopened Pack Reference Library
« Reply #280 on: October 20, 2012, 09:02:38 PM »
Yikes! Also congrats!

Thanks! I'm really kind of surprised it exists, I've seen literally 50-100 of each of the other three 7th series varieties, so it seemed a long shot that this would be real. But surprises are what keep life interesting I guess!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #281 on: October 21, 2012, 05:18:09 AM »
Thanks! I'm really kind of surprised it exists, I've seen literally 50-100 of each of the other three 7th series varieties, so it seemed a long shot that this would be real. But surprises are what keep life interesting I guess!

Glad it turned out to be legit, and that you weren't terribly injured in the effort!  Will you now send this back for grading and sealing?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #282 on: October 21, 2012, 09:03:22 AM »
Glad it turned out to be legit, and that you weren't terribly injured in the effort!  Will you now send this back for grading and sealing?

Nah, now that I know it exists, it's really just another 7th series pack. The only pack I own that is graded and encapsulated is the die cut pack. The others are all "raw."

I do like this new style of PSA holder though. It's much better than the old one. I hope to buy a few PSA graded baseball card packs in the future, and those I will leave slabbed.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #283 on: October 21, 2012, 09:54:58 AM »
Nah, now that I know it exists, it's really just another 7th series pack. The only pack I own that is graded and encapsulated is the die cut pack. The others are all "raw."

I do like this new style of PSA holder though. It's much better than the old one. I hope to buy a few PSA graded baseball card packs in the future, and those I will leave slabbed.

Well, I  hope you got a good deal on the newest raw pack for your collection!!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #284 on: October 21, 2012, 12:02:08 PM »
Well, I  hope you got a good deal on the newest raw pack for your collection!!

Au contraire, I massively overpaid for it. But I had no choice, I wouldn't have been able to sleep nights otherwise!

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #285 on: October 21, 2012, 12:40:15 PM »
Au contraire, I massively overpaid for it. But I had no choice, I wouldn't have been able to sleep nights otherwise!
You could think of it as an investment not only in the pack itself, but the information it reveals.  Arguably, that's priceless.  (Perhaps that's easy for me to say since I didn't make the financial investment!)

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #286 on: October 21, 2012, 01:51:30 PM »
Did anyone grag the stash of series 12 and 15 packs roxanne had at the show?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #287 on: October 21, 2012, 03:15:20 PM »
Did anyone grag the stash of series 12 and 15 packs roxanne had at the show?

Do you know what she was selling them for?

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #288 on: October 21, 2012, 04:36:46 PM »
Did anyone grab the stash of series 12 and 15 packs roxanne had at the show?
I can't be certain of their origin, but Matt had a bunch of 12 and 15 packs he was peddling at the show. 2+2 tells me Matt bought them from her, but I'm only speculating.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #289 on: October 21, 2012, 06:13:43 PM »
I can't be certain of their origin, but Matt had a bunch of 12 and 15 packs he was peddling at the show. 2+2 tells me Matt bought them from her, but I'm only speculating.

Matt bought them from her. She had them priced at $30 apiece, but he took all the packs she had and got them for considerably
less than that. He sold a few of them to me at zero profit.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #290 on: October 21, 2012, 06:22:36 PM »
You could think of it as an investment not only in the pack itself, but the information it reveals.  Arguably, that's priceless.  (Perhaps that's easy for me to say since I didn't make the financial investment!)

That is how I think of it. The pack was priced at $99 on ebay. To anyone but me, it's worth $20-25. But if I let it go it might never show up again and I'd be left a-wonderin'....

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #291 on: January 01, 2013, 06:28:06 PM »
The Old School 4 Series has sent me back to review this thread again -- thanks so much for the labor of love in compiling these images and all the research on unopened packs!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #292 on: January 01, 2013, 06:59:11 PM »
The Old School 4 Series has sent me back to review this thread again -- thanks so much for the labor of love in compiling these images and all the research on unopened packs!

That's great to hear. Obviously this little corner of the hobby is near and dear to my heart, so if OLDS 4 piques some interest in packs, I'm thrilled!

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #293 on: January 01, 2013, 07:21:48 PM »
That's great to hear. Obviously this little corner of the hobby is near and dear to my heart, so if OLDS 4 piques some interest in packs, I'm thrilled!
And actually, it raised a question for me too.  I know the first series of posters was released in 1973 and the second in 1974, but has it been established where they fit in the sequence of sticker releases?  Or is that one of the great unknowables of wacky history?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #294 on: January 02, 2013, 05:45:42 AM »
And actually, it raised a question for me too.  I know the first series of posters was released in 1973 and the second in 1974, but has it been established where they fit in the sequence of sticker releases?  Or is that one of the great unknowables of wacky history?

I asked exactly that question in this thread:

http://www.wackypackagesforum.com/index.php?topic=2350.0

I'm not really convinced the yellow poster packs were sold in 1973, although that is the code on the wrapper. Frankly I have no memory of any poster packs, so I'll take the word of those that do.

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #295 on: January 02, 2013, 07:21:41 AM »

I'm not really convinced the yellow poster packs were sold in 1973, although that is the code on the wrapper. Frankly I have no memory of any poster packs, so I'll take the word of those that do.

I definitely bought posters, but have limited recall of the year.  I fact I did have a Weakies poster in my stash I found from the stuff I bought as a kid, so I must have purchased the initial run in the Yellow packs.  I do know by 1975 I was pretty much completely done buying Wacky's as I hardly remember the 15 series at all, but I must have bought at least one pack because I had one series 15 puzzle piece (middle Left) in my original collection.

Still looking for Series 17

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #296 on: January 02, 2013, 01:38:56 PM »

Doh! That thread was only from July 2012 and I'd already forgotten.  Well, at least it was an interesting question -- even if it's already been hashed out on the forum!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #297 on: March 13, 2013, 05:01:50 PM »
Pack #11: 1973 3rd Series yellow 21-fold pack

(Image removed from quote.)  (Image removed from quote.)

This pack is from that cool find from around a year ago that included 43 others just like it. One of my favorite unopened pack finds because of the amazing freshness and perfect condition of the packs. (Image removed from quote.)

I just found out more details on the find that produced these 3rd series packs (which still appear sometimes on ebay). Read on!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #298 on: March 13, 2013, 05:03:40 PM »
The following was posted on the PSA card forum by Neil Duty, the guy who had all of these unopened packs (and it turns out the machine also) consigned to him. Reading his post, it now sounds like the machine actually had the wacky and presidents
display material in it when purchased, and the consignor just bought the packs that were described on the header card to match. Is that how others read his post?

« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 05:07:06 PM by Paul_Maul »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #299 on: March 13, 2013, 05:08:26 PM »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #300 on: March 13, 2013, 05:14:51 PM »
I'm not sure what Neil was saying, but it looks to me like the sample cards and empty wrappers were probably just dropped into the display area by the consignor to "advertise" the particular packs he happened to have bought to fill it.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 05:17:05 PM by Paul_Maul »

Offline Kook

« Reply #301 on: March 13, 2013, 05:36:27 PM »
I'm not sure what Neil was saying, but it looks to me like the sample cards and empty wrappers were probably just dropped into the display area by the consignor to "advertise" the particular packs he happened to have bought to fill it.

That's what it sounds like to me too.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #302 on: March 13, 2013, 06:00:23 PM »
That's pretty cool piece of history. I've never seen one before. Only a nickel. Dang!

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #303 on: March 13, 2013, 08:24:22 PM »
yup
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #304 on: March 15, 2013, 05:54:58 PM »
That is amazing to see -- many, many thanks for posting!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #305 on: August 29, 2013, 09:19:52 PM »
Do you have any pictures of one of these being used to hold packs?  I'm trying to picture it in my mind....

Great thread, by the way, Dave!

I actually do have pictures of unopened packs in the spinnerbait tackle box:

60 different series 1-16 packs....

« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 03:09:46 PM by Paul_Maul »

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #306 on: August 30, 2013, 08:14:47 PM »
So are the packs in the storage box on their sides?  Kind of hard to tell from this perspective.

And somebody please explain to me how you get full size images to appear in your posts when you use the postimg.org site?  Every time that I add an image to a post using the postimg service, the image always appears as a thumbnail that you have to click on to get the full-size image to open in a new browser tab.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline BustedFinger

« Reply #307 on: August 30, 2013, 08:30:37 PM »
Never mind....  I figured it out.  You have to register an account in postimg.org and then copy codes for your full size image...

Anyway, this thread reminded me of something I have been meaning to post about.

I had an old 10th series pack that was not in too good of shape.  I noticed a while back that the flaps, which were already loose, had just about come completely open.  So I decided to go ahead and crack the pack.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 06:20:38 AM by RawGoo »

Offline BustedFinger

« Reply #308 on: August 30, 2013, 08:32:08 PM »
Non-Pupsi checklist inside:

« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 06:21:01 AM by RawGoo »

Offline BustedFinger

« Reply #309 on: August 30, 2013, 08:33:45 PM »
Looks like this pack got wet at some time:

« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 06:21:18 AM by RawGoo »

Offline BustedFinger

« Reply #310 on: August 30, 2013, 08:37:46 PM »
Stickers inside were PoopedRidge Farm and BigTumi (following the Knight-Move).  But as you can see, there is a little bit of gum residue.  Surely I could sell these on eBay as EX- ??

« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 06:21:47 AM by RawGoo »

Offline BustedFinger

« Reply #311 on: August 30, 2013, 08:41:11 PM »
This definitely illustrates that sometimes the sum of the contents is not equal to the sum of the whole.  What I mean by that is that this unopened pack, before the flaps came loose, was probably worth at least $10, but the contents are basically worthless.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #312 on: August 30, 2013, 09:32:59 PM »
So are the packs in the storage box on their sides?  Kind of hard to tell from this perspective.

And somebody please explain to me how you get full size images to appear in your posts when you use the postimg.org site?  Every time that I add an image to a post using the postimg service, the image always appears as a thumbnail that you have to click on to get the full-size image to open in a new browser tab.

Loren, the packs are vertical. And you don't need to register with postimage, you just need to select the "direct link" option.

Offline BustedFinger

« Reply #313 on: August 31, 2013, 05:02:03 AM »
Hmmm - I don't see any place on the standard upload page where you can specify "direct link".  The only way I could find that option was to create an account, create a gallery, and then I could select my uploaded image from the gallery where I could pick several different options for the link.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #314 on: August 31, 2013, 06:23:09 AM »
When I upload an image, when it finishes, the codes appear right underneath. One of the URLs says "direct link" and the other just says "link."