Author Topic: A WP Unopened Pack Reference Library  (Read 176028 times)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
Re: A WP Unopened Pack Reference Library
« Reply #210 on: August 30, 2012, 01:40:29 PM »
Pack #90: 1973 OPC 2nd Series Pack

(Image removed from quote.)  (Image removed from quote.)

It's OPC time. Original 1st and 3rd Series OPC unopened packs are by definition the rarest of all, because (to my knowledge) none of either series are known to exist.  The 2nd series was in the same category until several packs turned up in the mid-2000s. Most of these were in the possession of Kirk Daniel (and possibly Mike Crist).  Kirk still offers them for sale now and then (for a rather hefty price). Quite a toughie!

Dave,

Have you posted that series 2 OPC red pack with the "printed in usa" variation that has recently surfaced?

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Kook

« Reply #211 on: August 30, 2012, 02:30:10 PM »
Dave,

Have you posted that series 2 OPC red pack with the "printed in usa" variation that has recently surfaced?

Rob, Is there an unopened pack with that wrapper?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #212 on: August 30, 2012, 11:10:03 PM »
apparently so. from Wiki:

"... in French, raisin means "grape," while a dried grape is referred to as a raisin sec, or "dry grape." ..."

those crazy French. They have a different word for everything.

Do we really need a Wiki to understand this.....HaHa :P

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #213 on: August 30, 2012, 11:12:43 PM »
Thanks Bill. I do think all the stories about "finds" are particularly cool, since I know I enjoy reading such stories from others.

Yes, you could do a PDF and sell them for $50 on eBay with a picture of a guy holding up a steak in the supermarket. It will be big..HaHa :great:

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #214 on: August 31, 2012, 05:25:10 AM »
Yes, you could do a PDF and sell them for $50 on eBay with a picture of a guy holding up a steak in the supermarket. It will be big..HaHa :great:

those idiots got back to me when i emailed them - saying all their info is from wikipedia that you get for free...but.. they're charging $50 for it in book form...unbelievable :sad: :sad:

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #215 on: August 31, 2012, 06:20:52 AM »
Dave,

Rob,

Only the wrapper with that variation has surfaced. In fact, as far as I know, no 1st series OPC unopened packs (presumably the series for which that wrapper was used) have ever surfaced. Same goes for 3rd series.

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #216 on: September 01, 2012, 10:27:51 AM »
Anyone know why Topps ever did the 85-fold version of packs? The 21-folds seem so much nicer looking to me and seem more natural.

Just curious...

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #217 on: September 01, 2012, 12:35:15 PM »
Anyone know why Topps ever did the 85-fold version of packs? The 21-folds seem so much nicer looking to me and seem more natural.

Just curious...

I'm almost certain the 85-fold packs stem from the 1-cent baseball/football card packs that contained only one card, which were
sold from the 1950's through 1965. For some reason, this must be a more efficient way to wrap a single or thin group of cards,
whereas the 21-fold works better for a thicker stack of cards.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #218 on: September 12, 2012, 09:29:12 AM »
Speaking of "TEST PACKS" (OK... no one was speaking of them, but this seems like the best thread for this question)... what ever happened with those weird test-packs that were found in a single unopened box and distributed around?  Did anyone ever figure out what the heck those were or if there were more out there?  I remember there just being one full box worth of packs in existence. 

- Were they given an official name? 
- Is there an official count of how many packs are in circulation?
- Were a lot of them opened?

Online bigtomi

« Reply #219 on: September 12, 2012, 10:25:56 AM »
Speaking of "TEST PACKS" (OK... no one was speaking of them, but this seems like the best thread for this question)... what ever happened with those weird test-packs that were found in a single unopened box and distributed around?  Did anyone ever figure out what the heck those were or if there were more out there?  I remember there just being one full box worth of packs in existence. 

- Were they given an official name? 
- Is there an official count of how many packs are in circulation?
- Were a lot of them opened?
Scott, I suspect you're referring to the Irish Test packs from '81 that were found in late summer of '04? I don't remember all of the details, but my understanding is that 2 boxes were uncovered, most packs were opened and only 1-2 full sets exist. They are standard 3.5" x 2.5" cards. Here's the front and back (of a folded wrapper):

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #220 on: September 12, 2012, 10:52:56 AM »
Here's Greg's writeup on the set:

http://www.wackypackages.org/stickers/irish_test/

I'll be continuing this thread when I have time to get back to scanning, and the UK stuff (as well as the remaining OPC stuff) is mostly what remains. The Irish Test Pack is coming!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #221 on: September 12, 2012, 11:07:23 AM »
In a forum post from 2009, Greg wrote:

"We originally got 59 packs, Matt opened half of them and got a full set plus some extras.  The remaining packs were mostly sold to pack collectors and Kirk got about 20 of them.  Eventually Rob got Kirk's packs and opened them and tracked down a few singles and managed to build a 2nd set.  Then the remaining 37 packs showed up from what was originally two full boxes of 48.  Those 96 packs are all that ever turned up.  From the new ones that turned up another set was built and a fourth missing only Kill.  If you think about it there were a total of 192 stickers so conceivably five sets plus a few extras, but to date only three Kills have been pulled.  As a result there are very very few unopened packs left, probably less than ten.  I do still have one, not sure where most of the others are."

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #222 on: September 12, 2012, 11:17:55 AM »
One thing that's funny is that Marty Krim, who is a very advanced general non-sport card and pack collector, probably owns all of the rarest wacky unopened packs, and yet he doesn't care about wackys at all, from the conversations I've had with him.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #223 on: September 12, 2012, 11:23:01 AM »

"We originally got 59 packs, Matt opened half of them and got a full set plus some extras.  The remaining packs were mostly sold to pack collectors and Kirk got about 20 of them.  Eventually Rob got Kirk's packs and opened them and tracked down a few singles and managed to build a 2nd set.  Then the remaining 37 packs showed up from what was originally two full boxes of 48.  Those 96 packs are all that ever turned up.  From the new ones that turned up another set was built and a fourth missing only Kill.  If you think about it there were a total of 192 stickers so conceivably five sets plus a few extras, but to date only three Kills have been pulled.  As a result there are very very few unopened packs left, probably less than ten.  I do still have one, not sure where most of the others are."

This is SO cool!  The packs were found right before I decided to disappear from Wackys, so I never got to hear about any of this.  When I first saw the packs, they were thought to just contain "re-issue" stickers like the 1979's.  So, I don't think anyone had opened more than one or two at that time.  I can imaging how cool it would have been to see the first full-size version of Kill or PigLips!  Now that old 4-title proof sheet that Phil found years ago makes more sense.  Very cool stuff.  Guess I should have stayed in it a little longer.  I even got rid of my UK box proof, all my old UK and Irish packs, and complete pack-fresh sets of UK 1st and 2nd series w/puzzles.  What was I thinking?  I hope I kept my test pack, though.  I always wanted to PSA grade it.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #224 on: September 12, 2012, 12:43:39 PM »

I was very fortunate that the remaining packs showed up from that Roger guy because I never would have been able to finish my set off, which would have been very frustrating after what I had invested into it.  I will add that the 2nd batch of packs that came from Roger seemed to have more "press start-up" issues like being off-center, and they seemed to have moisture issues because many were curled and the wrappers had that spotting.  I think he mentioned they came from a basement.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #225 on: September 12, 2012, 01:12:02 PM »
I think most of the 1st batch had the spotting on the wrappers also. Hard to understand why Roger's batch would have been different since they presumably were all from the same source, right?

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #226 on: September 12, 2012, 03:54:44 PM »
Has anyone tried to research these more, or go after other sources to uncover more?  I almost wish I hadn't heard that there were enough out there to make sets.  Now I want one.  5 days ago, I couldn't care less about Wackys.  But getting back on the forum, I'm getting that itch again.  It's like coffee.  Just the smell pulls you in.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 03:58:43 PM by ToadallyDude »

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #227 on: September 12, 2012, 03:58:42 PM »
I can imaging how cool it would have been to see the first full-size version of Kill or PigLips! 
IIRC - toppsvault had been selling off 'proof' versions of all the full sized cards from the set a year or so prior to the pack find, including the pulled titles. no one ever figured that these proofs were for an actual test set though, so those packs were a huge surprise.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #228 on: September 13, 2012, 06:38:00 AM »
I think most of the 1st batch had the spotting on the wrappers also. Hard to understand why Roger's batch would have been different since they presumably were all from the same source, right?

From my understanding they were not from the same source.  This guy Roger knew an old lady who had a bunch of Topps boxes of misc. series that were from her husband when he distributed for Topps.  He passed away, and this lady made a deal with Roger to sell all of it off.  I am pretty sure this old lady had no connection with the batch Greg and Matt came across.  I remember telling Greg about it and he knew nothing about the 2nd source.   

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #229 on: September 13, 2012, 08:05:50 AM »
In re-reading the original Irish Test thread, I just came up with the following quote from Scott B.:

"Paul (Hart?) never mentioned them either (the Irish test packs).  He DID, however, mention his friend having a display box for those UK release red packs (which contained regular 1979 reissue stickers).  He could never get the guy to look for the box or get it from him.  I asked until I was blue in the mouth & finally gave up."

Wouldn't it be funny if the box that just turned up is the same one Scott was referring to 8 years ago?

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #230 on: September 13, 2012, 11:35:02 AM »
In re-reading the original Irish Test thread, I just came up with the following quote from Scott B.:

"Paul (Hart?) never mentioned them either (the Irish test packs).  He DID, however, mention his friend having a display box for those UK release red packs (which contained regular 1979 reissue stickers).  He could never get the guy to look for the box or get it from him.  I asked until I was blue in the mouth & finally gave up."

Wouldn't it be funny if the box that just turned up is the same one Scott was referring to 8 years ago?

Anyone knowing my ancient history with Paul will probably have a laugh at this.  My "blue in the mouth" frustration in this particular post (...I can't believe these are still out there somewhere...) was actually directed at this mystery guy who wouldn't go look for the box, not at Paul.  Being 10,000 miles away from England made it very difficult for me to research the UK & Irish Wackys, and in all my searching (here AND there, while on vacation), I only ever came up with 2 good connections.  Paul and another card dealer that I can't remember his name now.  Nigel or something.  

Paul was really cool, and I was able to get some great UK and Irish items and info through him.  But I once burned that bridge (with some "foot in the mouth" frustration) by being cocky and complaining about some deal or something in an email to a friend (which accidentally got sent to him, too).  A huge lesson learned, not only about how email worked (this WAS the late 90s afterall), but also about how not to be an ass.  We patched things up (I think), but I'm sure that temporary lapse in judgement on my part caused some damage.  Hope not, though.

(some old Wacky history isn't as fun to dig up as others...)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 11:36:43 AM by ToadallyDude »

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #231 on: September 13, 2012, 09:45:13 PM »
Anyone knowing my ancient history with Paul will probably have a laugh at this.  My "blue in the mouth" frustration in this particular post (...I can't believe these are still out there somewhere...) was actually directed at this mystery guy who wouldn't go look for the box, not at Paul.  Being 10,000 miles away from England made it very difficult for me to research the UK & Irish Wackys, and in all my searching (here AND there, while on vacation), I only ever came up with 2 good connections.  Paul and another card dealer that I can't remember his name now.  Nigel or something.  

Paul was really cool, and I was able to get some great UK and Irish items and info through him.  But I once burned that bridge (with some "foot in the mouth" frustration) by being cocky and complaining about some deal or something in an email to a friend (which accidentally got sent to him, too).  A huge lesson learned, not only about how email worked (this WAS the late 90s afterall), but also about how not to be an ass.  We patched things up (I think), but I'm sure that temporary lapse in judgement on my part caused some damage.  Hope not, though.

(some old Wacky history isn't as fun to dig up as others...)
Don't feel bad, didn't greg once call phil to bitch about Eric and he inadvertantly called Eric or something to that effect?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #232 on: September 14, 2012, 09:46:25 AM »
Don't feel bad, didn't greg once call phil to bitch about Eric and he inadvertantly called Eric or something to that effect?

For some reason, I want to say it was actually a conference call & one of them didn't know that. 

Yah, the OLD days (pre-2000) were pure fun.  It was after the prices got too high (and egos got higher) that things took a bad turn.  I've noticed, though, reading the posts here and looking at the trading pages, etc., that it seems to have gotten back to the way it WAS, maybe thanks to so many NEW collectors entering the fray who just want to finish their sets and don't care about all the tensions from 10 years ago.  That's cool!

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #233 on: September 14, 2012, 10:21:46 AM »
One thing that's funny is that Marty Krim, who is a very advanced general non-sport card and pack collector, probably owns all of the rarest wacky unopened packs, and yet he doesn't care about wackys at all, from the conversations I've had with him.

Dave I have talked to marty in the past before as well.  Man that was many, many years ago.  I had forgotten all about him until reading this post.  I bought some series 16 packs from him probably in 2004 or 2005.  He did have a lot of stuff.  I remember him describing packs to me that he had, he wasn't even sure what they were!  Crazy to have all that good stuff and not even know what you have.
Still looking for Series 17

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #234 on: September 14, 2012, 04:01:59 PM »
For some reason, I want to say it was actually a conference call & one of them didn't know that. 

Yah, the OLD days (pre-2000) were pure fun.  It was after the prices got too high (and egos got higher) that things took a bad turn.  I've noticed, though, reading the posts here and looking at the trading pages, etc., that it seems to have gotten back to the way it WAS, maybe thanks to so many NEW collectors entering the fray who just want to finish their sets and don't care about all the tensions from 10 years ago.  That's cool!
Very true. I was never as big a "player" as you and Ernie but all the tensions and alliances are one of the reasons I stepped out of the hobby for years. This Forum was a very appreciated fresh restart.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #235 on: September 14, 2012, 06:54:26 PM »
Pack #99: 1982 OPC Album Series Pack

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #236 on: September 14, 2012, 06:56:25 PM »
Pack #100: 1985 OPC Pack

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #237 on: September 14, 2012, 06:59:13 PM »
Pack #101: 1987 OPC Re-Issue Pack (ring pop ad)

Note: The 1987 OPC Re-Issue Packs had only one ad variation, the "ring pop" ad. The 1988 and 1989 series packs had two variations apiece.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #238 on: September 15, 2012, 11:44:10 AM »
It turns out that I WAS smart and DID keep my Irish TEST PACK.  I checked my Wacky boxes last night & I actually kept more stuff than I thought, especially ANS stuff.  Since this is a 'pack' thread I'll only talk about packs.  The only ones I had were a few 8th oranges and the Irish TEST.  I really want to get it PSA graded, since there are only 10 left unopened (according to a previous post).  Do you guys think it would be worth doing?  Are they getting better about grading Wacky unopened packs?  I remember way back when, their PSA grades seemed to be really inconsistent on packs.  And what worries me on this one is that it does have a little bit of that dark spotting, but WAY less than most of the packs from those boxes.  I wonder if they'll take that in account, and the fact that those spots come from the glue used for the sticker, not any imperfections or damage.  They probably don't care, though, right?  Mint is Mint whether Mint is impossible or not?

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #239 on: September 16, 2012, 04:31:58 PM »
It turns out that I WAS smart and DID keep my Irish TEST PACK.  I checked my Wacky boxes last night & I actually kept more stuff than I thought, especially ANS stuff.  Since this is a 'pack' thread I'll only talk about packs.  The only ones I had were a few 8th oranges and the Irish TEST.  I really want to get it PSA graded, since there are only 10 left unopened (according to a previous post).  Do you guys think it would be worth doing?  Are they getting better about grading Wacky unopened packs?  I remember way back when, their PSA grades seemed to be really inconsistent on packs.  And what worries me on this one is that it does have a little bit of that dark spotting, but WAY less than most of the packs from those boxes.  I wonder if they'll take that in account, and the fact that those spots come from the glue used for the sticker, not any imperfections or damage.  They probably don't care, though, right?  Mint is Mint whether Mint is impossible or not?

I think the spotting on your pack is key because most of those packs had fairly significant spotting going on.  I opened a bunch of them so I know how they were.  I was able to get a very nice keeper wrapper with minimal staining, but it's just a wrapper, not an unopened pack. 

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #240 on: September 16, 2012, 05:08:28 PM »
I think the spotting on your pack is key because most of those packs had fairly significant spotting going on.  I opened a bunch of them so I know how they were.  I was able to get a very nice keeper wrapper with minimal staining, but it's just a wrapper, not an unopened pack.  

Are you saying that you think PSA would take that in account and grade it higher knowing that most of the others were more significantly spotted?  Or are you saying that because mine's cleaner I should get it PSA'ed?  How many stickers were in these puppies?  Do you have any doubles, especially of the Irish-only titles?

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #241 on: September 17, 2012, 05:31:24 PM »
Are you saying that you think PSA would take that in account and grade it higher knowing that most of the others were more significantly spotted?  Or are you saying that because mine's cleaner I should get it PSA'ed?  How many stickers were in these puppies?  Do you have any doubles, especially of the Irish-only titles?

I was just speaking in general that it's worth more w/o the spotting (or at least minimal spotting).  I'm probably not the best person to ask about PSA grading, so I'm not sure how they would handle it.  My guess is that it may not grade that well because PSA wouldn't have the knowledge that most of them have the spotting issue, so they would be compared to average packs that don't have that issue.  Maybe Dave could answer that one.  Better yet, why don't you send it to Dave and have him grade it?  He could do a much better job of it than PSA anyway!  (can you tell I'm not a big fan of PSA?)

Unfortunately I don't have any dupes left over.  Packs contained 2 stickers, a checklist, and a stale piece of yellow gum!   

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #242 on: September 17, 2012, 06:30:27 PM »
Unfortunately I don't have any dupes left over.  Packs contained 2 stickers, a checklist, and a stale piece of yellow gum!   

Man, speaking of stale gum... does anyone remember how freaking horrible the gum for Crazy Covers tasted?  Or was it Baseball Superfreaks?  The Wacky gum was OK when it was soft enough not to shatter.  But there was another related card set (Crazy Covers, Superfreaks, or 1973 Ugly Stickers) that tasted like assflavored cardboard and literally disintegrated into gross little mealy blobs after a few chews.  Yuck!  Must have been a non-Topps product because I remember their gum being fairly consistent accross the titles.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #243 on: September 17, 2012, 10:11:48 PM »
Man, speaking of stale gum... does anyone remember how freaking horrible the gum for Crazy Covers tasted?  Or was it Baseball Superfreaks?  The Wacky gum was OK when it was soft enough not to shatter.  But there was another related card set (Crazy Covers, Superfreaks, or 1973 Ugly Stickers) that tasted like assflavored cardboard and literally disintegrated into gross little mealy blobs after a few chews.  Yuck!  Must have been a non-Topps product because I remember their gum being fairly consistent accross the titles.

CRAZY COVERS gum was pretty horrific. It may be the only gum thats better 25 years later.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #244 on: September 18, 2012, 10:59:57 AM »
Pack #102: 1988 OPC Re-Issue Pack (push pop ad)

« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 11:02:24 AM by Paul_Maul »

anything