Author Topic: A WP Unopened Pack Reference Library  (Read 176010 times)

Offline Monsterettes

Re: A WP Unopened Pack Reference Library
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2012, 02:24:21 PM »
I haven't added anything of note to my collection lately, and I'm getting a little bored, so I thought it would be fun to gradually create a scan library of my pack collection. I plan to build it slowly, and maybe throw in a few interesting anecdotes about how some of the packs were acquired, as well as some facts about which packs exist. Anyone who's interested is welcome to comment or ask questions.
I'm really enjoying this thread Dave.  I appreciate all the energy you're putting into it!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2012, 05:06:16 PM »
I'm really enjoying this thread Dave.  I appreciate all the energy you're putting into it!

Thanks Elizabeth!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2012, 05:10:52 PM »
Pack #26: 1974 7th Series gumless pack

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2012, 10:05:47 AM »
Pack #27: 1974 8th Series blue 85-fold pack (wall poster ad)

The 85-fold with wall poster ad is the only blue wrapper that was used for the 8th series. As I stated earlier, it's my speculation that these wrappers were leftover because they weren't used for the 7th series.

8th series blue packs have been fairly scarce over the years. From 2002-2009 I owned a couple of legitimate ones, neither of which was in very nice shape. Then at the Allentown show a couple of years ago, Roxanne Toser showed up with a bag of packs which included 25 of these in perfect condition. Most of those have been absorbed by collectors, so there are several nice ones out there now.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2012, 10:42:42 AM »
Pack #27: 1974 8th Series blue 85-fold pack (wall poster ad)

Are vintage Wacky wall posters hard to come by?

Do they command a high price on eBay?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2012, 10:59:07 AM »
Are vintage Wacky wall posters hard to come by?

Do they command a high price on eBay?

Yes, they are not very common. I think when they do surface, they usually go for a couple hundred bucks. Then there was the wall poster mailing tube with Dan McKee's name and address on it. That was a pretty cool item.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2012, 01:35:38 PM »
Pack #28: 1974 8th Series orange 21-fold pack

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2012, 07:29:25 PM »
Yes, they are not very common. I think when they do surface, they usually go for a couple hundred bucks. Then there was the wall poster mailing tube with Dan McKee's name and address on it. That was a pretty cool item.
I own this, I have all three mail away posters with corresponding tube and address of original owner.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2012, 08:08:53 PM »
I don't understand the significance. Who is Dan McKee?
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2012, 07:00:08 AM »
I don't understand the significance. Who is Dan McKee?

He's a collector. He happened to have kept his original mailing tube. I think it's pictured in the Gallery.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2012, 07:20:34 AM »
Pack #29: 1974 8th Series orange 85-fold pack

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2012, 11:49:40 AM »
I own this, I have all three mail away posters with corresponding tube and address of original owner.
Wicked cool! Could you post pics?
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

Offline bandaches

« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2012, 08:37:07 PM »
Wicked cool! Could you post pics?
You should visit the wacky pack museum on my website more often  :P

http://www.wackypackage.com/Wacky%20Packs/HTML%20Stuff/Mailawayposters.html
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2012, 10:25:41 AM »
And now, a break from the original series....

Pack #30: 1974 Yellow Poster Pack (Big Mouth ad)

During 2002, I started a thread on the Delphi Forum entitled "God doesn't want me to own a yellow poster pack." I had been trying to win one for a year, and I kept getting outbid. I finally did win one on ebay later that year, the one above. I subsequently obtained both of the other ad variations as well (the other two in the last 3 years). And while the average asking price for one on ebay at the moment is close to $600, I obtained all 3 for $125 or less, which is around what they're actually worth.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2012, 10:29:07 AM »
Pack #31: 1974 Yellow Poster Pack (Shake It Up ad)

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2012, 10:34:23 AM »
Pack #32: 1974 Yellow Poster Pack (Stake Your Claim ad)

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2012, 11:04:36 AM »
This is fascinating stuff Dave. Most of these I have never seen before and, no doubt, wouldn't have if you hadn't started this thread. Thanks for the history lesson.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #87 on: July 18, 2012, 06:13:13 PM »
This is fascinating stuff Dave. Most of these I have never seen before and, no doubt, wouldn't have if you hadn't started this thread. Thanks for the history lesson.

Glad you're enjoying, I'm having fun too!

Offline bandaches

« Reply #88 on: July 18, 2012, 09:09:03 PM »
And now, a break from the original series....

Pack #30: 1974 Yellow Poster Pack (Big Mouth ad)

(Image removed from quote.)

During 2002, I started a thread on the Delphi Forum entitled "God doesn't want me to own a yellow poster pack." I had been trying to win one for a year, and I kept getting outbid. I finally did win one on ebay later that year, the one above. I subsequently obtained both of the other ad variations as well (the other two in the last 3 years). And while the average asking price for one on ebay at the moment is close to $600, I obtained all 3 for $125 or less, which is around what they're actually worth.

Do you remember the show where a guy had a full box of these and he killed most of the packs before we got there to stop him!  I believe Jeff Weis was able to salvage a few of the packs before he killed them all.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #89 on: July 19, 2012, 09:55:50 AM »
Do you remember the show where a guy had a full box of these and he killed most of the packs before we got there to stop him!  I believe Jeff Weis was able to salvage a few of the packs before he killed them all.

I remember you telling me about that. I definitely wasn't there, otherwise I would have moved heaven and earth to obtain one!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #90 on: July 19, 2012, 10:44:13 AM »
Pack #33: 1974 Blue Poster Pack (Big Mouth ad)

« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 10:46:09 AM by Paul_Maul »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #91 on: July 19, 2012, 10:50:36 AM »
Pack #34: 1974 Blue Poster Pack (Shake It Up ad)

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #92 on: July 19, 2012, 11:30:02 AM »
Pack #35: 1974 Blue Poster Pack (Stake Your Claim ad)

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #93 on: July 19, 2012, 01:20:24 PM »
And now a word from our sponsor....

This is the coolest box there is for storing wax packs. Andy Herrmann turned me on to these. It's supposed to be a tackle box used for storing "spinnerbait" (you fisherman probably know what that is, although I don't). But everything about it is perfect for storing wax packs.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #94 on: July 19, 2012, 06:40:51 PM »
And now a word from our sponsor....

This is the coolest box there is for storing wax packs. Andy Herrmann turned me on to these. It's supposed to be a tackle box used for storing "spinnerbait" (you fisherman probably know what that is, although I don't). But everything about it is perfect for storing wax packs.

Do you have any pictures of one of these being used to hold packs?  I'm trying to picture it in my mind....

Great thread, by the way, Dave!
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #95 on: July 20, 2012, 07:01:21 AM »
Do you have any pictures of one of these being used to hold packs?  I'm trying to picture it in my mind....

I don't have any pictures. Just look at the box and ignore everything that's in there except the outer box and the four plastic dividers. The packs would stand up in the resulting 5 compartments. Everything else in the picture is spinnerbait.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #96 on: July 20, 2012, 08:33:49 PM »
Pack #36: 1974 Tattoos Pack

« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 08:44:23 PM by Paul_Maul »

Offline bandaches

« Reply #97 on: July 21, 2012, 11:02:23 AM »
What is your definition of "unopened pack"?  Is it wrapped material that would normally come in a box of a specific count or do Shedds, 1982 cereal and other cello wrapped items count as packs too?

Offline bandaches

« Reply #98 on: July 22, 2012, 09:53:46 AM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110916934424

I am not much into collecting unopened packs other than I do like one of each wrapper.  I was under the impression that unopened pre 1987 OPC stuff was very scarce so I was surprised I got these for so cheap.  Is my assessment of their scarcity incorrect?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #99 on: July 23, 2012, 07:43:01 AM »
What is your definition of "unopened pack"?  Is it wrapped material that would normally come in a box of a specific count or do Shedds, 1982 cereal and other cello wrapped items count as packs too?

Ern, in my own collecting of unopened packs, I've included anything that has the "feel" of an unopened pack in my own subjective judgment. That includes Shedds pack and 1982 cereal. It also includes tattoos, even though the only thing in the "pack" is the gum. It also includes the next "pack" I'll be posting later today, which is also debatable in terms of "pack" status.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #100 on: July 23, 2012, 07:44:47 AM »

I am not much into collecting unopened packs other than I do like one of each wrapper.  I was under the impression that unopened pre 1987 OPC stuff was very scarce so I was surprised I got these for so cheap.  Is my assessment of their scarcity incorrect?

Great deal. These are generally thought to be worth at least $50-75 apiece, but this kind of bargain can happen when supply and demand are both low. That's definitely the case with the OPC re-issues, and to a slightly lesser extent, the '82 and '85 OPC.

EDIT: Also just noticed OPC doesn't appear in the item title, that's probably a contributing cause as well....
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 07:47:52 AM by Paul_Maul »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #101 on: July 23, 2012, 10:04:21 AM »
Pack #37: 1974 Prototype Patch Cello Pack

While it's debatable whether this should be called an unopened pack, I've included it because of the cello-like packaging and cool backing card. While these are described in the Gallery, I never actually saw one until a bunch were offered on ebay a few years ago. Neat item!

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #102 on: July 23, 2012, 01:13:50 PM »

I am enjoying reading some of the descriptions printed on the packs

That the most far out way ever is the “farthest out way ever" is interesting grammar!

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #103 on: July 23, 2012, 01:31:36 PM »

I am enjoying reading some of the descriptions printed on the packs

That the most far out way ever is the “farthest out way ever" is interesting grammar!

Would you prefer "far outest way ever"?   I guess proper grammer would suggest "most far put way ever" but where is the fun in that?
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline bandaches

« Reply #104 on: July 23, 2012, 05:53:31 PM »
Pack #37: 1974 Prototype Patch Cello Pack

While it's debatable whether this should be called an unopened pack, I've included it because of the cello-like packaging and cool backing card. While these are described in the Gallery, I never actually saw one until a bunch were offered on ebay a few years ago. Neat item!

(Image removed from quote.)  (Image removed from quote.)

These are awesome, I wanted to snag one but I believe the prices were well over $100 and they didn't seem worth that and I wasn't sure how many that guy was going to flood the market.  Someday I am sure I will snag one.