Author Topic: 100 Riffs  (Read 1654 times)

Offline bigtomi

100 Riffs
« on: July 05, 2012, 12:07:36 PM »
Thought I'd point this video out and get some opinions of the guy's talent. I thought he was quite good. I'd be interested especially to hear another guitarist opinion, like Playbug's...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiC__IjCa2s

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
Re: 100 Riffs
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 07:00:27 PM »
Thought I'd point this video out and get some opinions of the guy's talent. I thought he was quite good. I'd be interested especially to hear another guitarist opinion, like Playbug's...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiC__IjCa2s

I'm certainly not more than an amateur guitarist but am impressed with the variety of techniques he uses and with the various sounds he achieves. The single take is definitely impressive.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 01:09:05 PM »
He is really good, but I wouldn't necessarily call everything he is playing a guitar "riff". Some are only a series of guitar chords, like to Ramones song.  Riffs he did play were like the Aerosmith, Walk this way, Eric Clapton, Layla. I wouldn't consider Heart's Barracuda a riff. A riff or lick is typically known as a very short excerpt that you could actually play and fit into other songs. Like the famous Chuck Berry riff that Chuck played when he did his famous one legged hop move along with his playing. THAT is a riff, at least it is to me. This guy is very good - don't get me wrong, but I think his title if off. I wasn't done in one take, I saw a splice around song 30 or so.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 12:21:51 PM »

Neat video.  I’ve never considered a lick is a riff

I think the ladies of Heart would prefer to call it a lick     :P

anything