Author Topic: 1976 Wacky Packages Button-Up Shirt From Canadian Catalog  (Read 5806 times)

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
Hey guys, My apologies if this is old news.  It probably is.. but in case it is not.  I certainly don't think I've ever seen this image before. 

It's from a Canadian store catalog - like a Sears (maybe this IS a Canadian Sears)...  anyway... here it is... is this something we have seen before?

Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
Re: 1976 Wacky Packages Button-Up Shirt From Canadian Catalog
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 06:47:34 PM »
Hey guys, My apologies if this is old news.  It probably is.. but in case it is not.  I certainly don't think I've ever seen this image before. 

It's from a Canadian store catalog - like a Sears (maybe this IS a Canadian Sears)...  anyway... here it is... is this something we have seen before?

Jason, I have not seen this particular shirt before but it appears to be made from the following cloth lot:

Rusty's site:  http://www.lostwackys.com/Wacky-Packages/vintage-tshirts/wacky-packages-fabric-2-3c.htm
documents about 8 or so different fabrics thats were released over the years.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline dth1971

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 07:21:45 PM »
There's Dixie Riddle Cup images with the wackys on this Denim shirt!

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 07:39:00 PM »

This is cool!  I had never seen anything that truly verified that all of these various clothings made of these bolts of cloth were comercially sold!
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 07:58:59 PM »

I was wondering what the hell those were.  Ha!
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 08:02:13 PM »
This is cool!  I had never seen anything that truly verified that all of these various clothings made of these bolts of cloth were comercially sold!

Excellent.  I'm glad this turned out to be a real piece of Wacky-research news.  :-)

My pal Glen Mullaly, a Canadian cartoonist, is the guy who found this and brought it to my attention.  He also made the scan for me so I could share it here.

Offline dth1971

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 05:57:28 AM »
Excellent.  I'm glad this turned out to be a real piece of Wacky-research news.  :-)

My pal Glen Mullaly, a Canadian cartoonist, is the guy who found this and brought it to my attention.  He also made the scan for me so I could share it here.

Glen Mullay does Canadian cartoons?

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 07:46:23 PM »

Is that what the red shapped cups are? One of those, looks like it has sort of an airplane on it maybe?
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline dth1971

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 11:44:21 AM »
Is that what the red shapped cups are? One of those, looks like it has sort of an airplane on it maybe?

Yes, I guess.

Don't you also remember in the 1970's when Dixie made Knock Knock Joke cups in the same way as the Dixie Riddle Cups?

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 03:59:13 PM »
Yes, I guess.

Don't you also remember in the 1970's when Dixie made Knock Knock Joke cups in the same way as the Dixie Riddle Cups?

No, I do not recall those. Wonder if Jason has any of those?
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 05:15:28 PM »
No, I do not recall those. Wonder if Jason has any of those?

We used to have a Dixie Cup dispenser in our bathroom so we had the riddle, joke and trivia cups at various times. I think my mom thought they were more sanitary until she soon realized my sister and I would use more cups than normal to get through all the jokes, etc. Another great step in consumerism.

aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 06:12:31 PM »
Man, I loved Dixie Riddle Cups! Wow, great memory brought back!

That Wacky Shirt was made such that most of the Wackys on the front are upside-down -- whoops!

Offline landoquakes

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 07:29:29 PM »
About a year ago I was at my local stamp club meeting and every month someone brings in treats and pop to drink. I was really surprised to see that someone brought in a big stack of Dixie Riddle cups to use. Granted these are all over 70 year old folks at these meetings. I thought at the time Dixie had brought them back and I didn't think of saving any. They were all used up at the meeting or thrown out at the end. I went to the store soon after the meeting and when I didn't see any I realized that they were cups from the 70's... D'OH!

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 07:50:08 PM »
About a year ago I was at my local stamp club meeting and every month someone brings in treats and pop to drink. I was really surprised to see that someone brought in a big stack of Dixie Riddle cups to use. Granted these are all over 70 year old folks at these meetings. I thought at the time Dixie had brought them back and I didn't think of saving any. They were all used up at the meeting or thrown out at the end. I went to the store soon after the meeting and when I didn't see any I realized that they were cups from the 70's... D'OH!

Funny and sad at the same time!  I picked up two boxes, somewhat beat up but mostly full, on ebay a few years ago.  I since have sold one on ebay, but they were a very fun find.  My girlfriend at the time, who was generally supportive of all my collecting habits, thought I had gone off the deep end when I bought those two boxes.  I thought it was one of the more fun hobby purchases I had made!