Author Topic: OS3 Color Sketches - New artist  (Read 33289 times)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
Re: OS3 Color Sketches - New artist
« Reply #105 on: June 20, 2012, 06:07:41 AM »
Well said. I still don't know why you really want them but each collector has their own agenda. Maybe all the fumes from your sketch collection has altered your brain...LOL :]

Maybe Matt will practice his skills over the next few years, mend the fences with Topps, and become one of the best Topps' artists we've ever seen! (Saunders included).  Then these $15.00 sketches would be worth a fortune!  Crazier things have happened.  Like when the Giants won the Superbowl last year?
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #106 on: June 20, 2012, 08:08:01 AM »
Maybe Matt will practice his skills over the next few years, mend the fences with Topps, and become one of the best Topps' artists we've ever seen! (Saunders included).  Then these $15.00 sketches would be worth a fortune!  Crazier things have happened.  Like when the Giants won the Superbowl last year?

Let's not get carried away here :o

Offline quas

« Reply #107 on: June 20, 2012, 08:13:36 AM »
Now if Eli Manning started drawing his own color renditions of OS3 sketch cards and put them on ebay, that might create some interest.........  :s_cool:
Marc

Online sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #108 on: June 20, 2012, 10:23:06 AM »
Now if Eli Manning started drawing his own color renditions of OS3 sketch cards and put them on ebay, that might create some interest.........  :s_cool:

I'm sure they would be better than Matt's. Or mine.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline quas

« Reply #109 on: June 20, 2012, 10:52:05 AM »
I'm sure they would be better than Matt's. Or mine.
Instead of starting with OS3 he could start with Series 12 Sootball and then Series 14 Balding Football.
Marc

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #110 on: June 20, 2012, 06:30:08 PM »
I find the "new artist" sketches to be a weird, cringe-worthy turn of events. But the real sketches that were colored, I find that sad. They were basically destroyed. What collector would want them now?

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #111 on: June 20, 2012, 06:37:58 PM »
I didn't know matt had issues with Topps....
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #112 on: June 20, 2012, 06:52:03 PM »
I didn't know matt had issues with Topps....

I don't think they would like the fact that he was selling doctored sketches, or the "new artist" sketches that reference Old School 3 on them.   
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #113 on: June 23, 2012, 06:08:42 PM »
This just makes me nauseous. If it was some kid doing drawings then no one would care and we can put it in the are these people nuts thread but this is a collector that is really pushing this garbage. Why is there even a bid on this?  :confuse:

Really sad
eBay auction: #221056042076

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #114 on: June 24, 2012, 03:45:57 AM »
That auction does a disservice to the hobby and should be shut down by Topps. Its not a "tribute".  It s just wrong on too many levels; All of which have been discussed here.
It should be pulled so no one can purchase this tripe thinking it is something it isn't, which is what Matt hopes for. Carefully worded description, carefully worded to avoid legal action and to attract novice buyers.

DrDeal

Offline Tic_Toc

• Tic...Tic...Tic...Toc!
« Reply #115 on: June 24, 2012, 08:50:22 PM »
Please don't read this as a defense of Matt Stock. I agree with almost all objections to his "new artist" sketches that have been voiced here.

However, if we're going to object to use of "copyrighted characters," then where was all the outrage when Jay Lynch was producing such sketches for years without any Topps affiliation?

For me, the whole thing hinges on the intent of the person who is creating the "unofficial" cards.  In Jay's case, he's a seasoned artist with a long legacy of work on real Wackys with Topps who is just trying to pay a few bills with some extra-cirricular work.  I know that Topps doesn't pay their artists particularly well, so I certainly don't blame Jay for wanting to play in the sketch market.  And everything he's sold has been spectacular in terms of quality, so at least you're getting something good for your money.

These "new artist" OS3 cards on the other hand appear to have been made with the sole intent of extracting money from unwitting collectors.  If you want to get really cynical, you could even argue that they're meant to undermine the whole "Old School" effort by flooding ebay with a bunch of fake crap that will ultimately drive down the value and collectibility of the real sketch cards.  The "altered" cards that have been offered up by this same seller will almost certainly have that effect, as it will become nearly impossible over time to distinguish real cards from cards with added color/details.  What I don't understand is why Topps seems to be sitting on the sidelines and doing nothing to stop it.  It's their brand - don't they care?

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #116 on: June 25, 2012, 09:15:54 AM »
For me, the whole thing hinges on the intent of the person who is creating the "unofficial" cards.  In Jay's case, he's a seasoned artist with a long legacy of work on real Wackys with Topps who is just trying to pay a few bills with some extra-cirricular work.  I know that Topps doesn't pay their artists particularly well, so I certainly don't blame Jay for wanting to play in the sketch market.  And everything he's sold has been spectacular in terms of quality, so at least you're getting something good for your money.

These "new artist" OS3 cards on the other hand appear to have been made with the sole intent of extracting money from unwitting collectors.  If you want to get really cynical, you could even argue that they're meant to undermine the whole "Old School" effort by flooding ebay with a bunch of fake crap that will ultimately drive down the value and collectibility of the real sketch cards.  The "altered" cards that have been offered up by this same seller will almost certainly have that effect, as it will become nearly impossible over time to distinguish real cards from cards with added color/details.  What I don't understand is why Topps seems to be sitting on the sidelines and doing nothing to stop it.  It's their brand - don't they care?

You're right and I'm surprised this even has to be explained.

Offline Hawaiian punks

« Reply #117 on: June 26, 2012, 10:01:13 AM »
Sad is an understatement for that trash.
How can anyone bid on that junk and think that they are getting anything of value?
This guy needs to go down!

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #118 on: June 26, 2012, 02:22:14 PM »
Sad is an understatement for that trash.
How can anyone bid on that junk and think that they are getting anything of value?
This guy needs to go down!
Is Marc still placing reserve bids on all of matt's stuff? 
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #120 on: June 27, 2012, 07:03:01 AM »
Wow, the shipping costs more than the sketch!
Still looking for Series 17