Author Topic: Wacky Packages Gallery ???  (Read 4339 times)

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
Wacky Packages Gallery ???
« on: June 15, 2012, 06:04:57 PM »
I noticed a book listed in the July Previews called the Wacky Packages Gallery, a softcover book set to come out late September (at the earliest).
No explanation what it is, or a publisher name.
I don't see it listed at Abrams site or on Amazon either (well, other than Paul and Phil's book of the same name).
Anyone know anything?

WACKY PACKAGES GALLERY SC (C: 0-1-2)   09/26/12   SRP: $15.00    = $   
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 08:35:05 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline crackedjerk

Re: Wacky Packages Gallery ???
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 06:36:49 AM »
Very interesting!  I haven't heard a thing, but I hope it's a worthwhile book.  I'm feeling a bit Wacky-less these days without either news or new stuff coming out.  I guess a breather isn't a bad thing, but it's always nice to have some anticipation for something new.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 12:40:16 PM »
Could it be a reprint of the previous book?

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 01:04:49 PM »
Could it be a reprint of the previous book?
I'm now starting to think that Paul just dumped his remaining stock to a wholesaler who is soliciting this excess through Previews at a discount price.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 03:20:07 PM »
I'm now starting to think that Paul just dumped his remaining stock to a wholesaler who is soliciting this excess through Previews at a discount price.

That would be my guess.  I doubt he put the time into it to update it.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline PG Lips

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 04:51:09 PM »
That would be my guess.  I doubt he put the time into it to update it.

An Urban Collector pre-order http://www.urban-collector.com/wacky-packages-gallery-sc-jul121349.html appears to confirm the book is either a re-issue or old stock.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 06:04:06 PM »
An Urban Collector pre-order http://www.urban-collector.com/wacky-packages-gallery-sc-jul121349.html appears to confirm the book is either a re-issue or old stock.

The cover shown is the same as the original.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline dth1971

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 11:01:56 AM »
I think it's a reissue of some 1990's or 2000 book but no info with the ANS.

I wish there was an updated Wacky Packages Handbook with updated information from the original series and ANS.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 02:25:18 PM »
I think it's a reissue of some 1990's or 2000 book but no info with the ANS.

I wish there was an updated Wacky Packages Handbook with updated information from the original series and ANS.
Yes, this is "some" book....it was rather ground breaking when it was produced with contributions from some of the most knowledgable collectors at the time and represented the most complete collection of data at that time.  Some prefer to look at the glass half empty aspects and focus only on its flaws but for most of the rest of us, it was a valuable guide that I always had with me at shows.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 03:53:08 PM »
Yes, this is "some" book....it was rather ground breaking when it was produced with contributions from some of the most knowledgable collectors at the time and represented the most complete collection of data at that time.  Some prefer to look at the glass half empty aspects and focus only on its flaws but for most of the rest of us, it was a valuable guide that I always had with me at shows.

I found it to be a great resource over my collecting years.  I never understood all of the criticism, especially over the design.  I think it looks fine, and I'm not sure some people realize how much time and energy it takes putting something together like that. 

It would be great to have it updated, and eventually add a post-2004 book, but like Paul used to say.....it has to be a labor of love, and you won't be doing it to make a profit. 

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
  • "...I'll stop the world and melt with you..."
    • Martin's View (blog about music, TV, movies and comics)
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 02:20:36 AM »
The Gallery is what got me back into the hobby in 1999.  I had not thought about Wackys for years and wanted to see if there was a book.  Thanks to it, I got into collecting again.  I am definitely a fan of Paul's work and thank everyone who contributed to it.
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 08:11:19 PM »

I wore mine out to the point of the pages are falling out. Great book, with lots of useful information about Wackys.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 05:26:57 AM »
I wore mine out to the point of the pages are falling out. Great book, with lots of useful information about Wackys.

Yeah, one of the issues with that book was that the perfect-binding was a little weak.  I think I've had 3 different copies and all 3 had pages breaking loose from the glue after minor use.