Author Topic: OS3 Color Sketches - New artist  (Read 33290 times)

Offline cmgmd

OS3 Color Sketches - New artist
« on: June 11, 2012, 10:47:08 AM »
Check eBay.
Wow. :-[

Offline Kook

Re: OS3 Color Sketches - New artist
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 11:03:51 AM »
Check eBay.
Wow. :-[

I saw that too. I thought that was very odd...

Offline HawaiianPunks

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 12:14:40 PM »
Why would anyone buy these?  And how are these considered a tribute to the artists?

The seller seems to have lost it...

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 01:01:38 PM »
Why would anyone buy these?  And how are these considered a tribute to the artists?

The seller seems to have lost it...

If you define "tribute" as a direct copy of one of the other artists sketches, then yes... a tribute it is. I could see someone possibly lending their own stylistic bend to these characters for the fun or challenge of it, but these are pretty much outright copies to the point you can look at Matt's sketch card and tell which of the OS3 artists' sketch he copied from.  :dark1:    Does Topps copyright the various characters used on Wacky Packages? I also noticed in the decription it states "Buyer pays fixed shipping fee of $4.90 Priority Mail Shipping" but it shows $6.50 shipping on the main auction body. They must be sealed in silk and shipped overnight dragon delivery.  He must have several proud relatives bidding on these pieces.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline jeffcaff

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 01:06:47 PM »
Topps doesn't seem to really care about enforcing copyrights and trademarks with their Wacky Packages.  There seems to be a lot of unlicensed Wacky Package material for sale these days.  Years ago, I tried to sell most of most live bootleg LPs that I purchased when I was a kid.  Ebay pulled them within 1/2 hour after my postings.  I think someone from Atlantic Records called Ebay to have my postings pulled.  I talked to someone at Ebay to figure out how they know if something is licensed or not. They told me that they do not know so they will pull postings if a representative of the company calls them directly. I guess that it depends on the industry.  Am I missing something or did this artist get permission from Topps?  I do wish someone who works for Topps would have the unlicensed items pulled.

Offline HawaiianPunks

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 01:28:53 PM »
There must be something going on behind the scenes here.  Is some sort of message being sent to Topps with the creation of these pieces?

Offline Jean Nutty

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 03:20:49 PM »
I wonder what type of stock he uses.
why, matte, of course

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 03:31:29 PM »
This one is already at 15 bucks. I wonder what type of stock he uses.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wacky-Packages-OS3-Color-GRIM-Sketch-Card-NO-RESERVE-New-Artist-/221045890479?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33775c9daf

I see he notes that all cards are done on "the blank side of an ANS7 orange promo card".  Now THAT might just get Topps' attention!!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 03:33:46 PM by RawGoo »

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 03:37:35 PM »
                                                              And theirs a new ID, more things are stinking than just a pile of rotten danishes
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 03:50:28 PM »
Who the hell would bid on those?

EGADS! Someone already has.
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 04:48:07 PM »
The guy is totally wacked. I don't care if you like the guy or not but he is dillusional and should not be trusted.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 07:26:06 PM »
The guy is totally wacked. I don't care if you like the guy or not but he is dillusional and should not be trusted.

Dude!! He is totally WACKED!! what idiots would be bidding on these :P :P He's probably pissed that he was caught coloring the other sketches so now he said he'll make his own!! We should all do it....this will definitely be good for the hobby...NOT...wonder what Greg thinks??? oh well....

Offline HawaiianPunks

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 07:34:14 PM »

This whole situation brings Charlie Sheen to mind for some reason...

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 11:20:18 PM »
Dude!! He is totally WACKED!! what idiots would be bidding on these :P :P He's probably pissed that he was caught coloring the other sketches so now he said he'll make his own!! We should all do it....this will definitely be good for the hobby...NOT...wonder what Greg thinks??? oh well....
At least this seems to prove that he did alter the sketches he tried to peddle on ebay.  That is a crime, I wish I had won one of his altered sketches as I would have had the balls to report him to the police as opposed to all of the other people who continue to look the other way with his crap like this.  Giving refunds doesn't excuse the crime, last I checked, when someone commits a robbery, giving the money back doesn't cause the jail time to be waived.....
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2012, 05:42:04 AM »
At least this seems to prove that he did alter the sketches he tried to peddle on ebay.  That is a crime, I wish I had won one of his altered sketches as I would have had the balls to report him to the police as opposed to all of the other people who continue to look the other way with his crap like this.  Giving refunds doesn't excuse the crime, last I checked, when someone commits a robbery, giving the money back doesn't cause the jail time to be waived.....

It's amazing how many crooks in the collectibles arena get away with it through this MO. There's a guy who's been selling trimmed, color touched comic books for close to 20 years and actually did jail time for it. He has managed to survive on ebay for over a decade by simply refunding the money of anyone who complains. There's a comic book collecting lawyer who's energetically trying to shut him down, it's amazing how tough it is though, since ebay couldn't care less about such crimes.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2012, 09:21:53 AM »
It's amazing how many crooks in the collectibles arena get away with it through this MO. There's a guy who's been selling trimmed, color touched comic books for close to 20 years and actually did jail time for it. He has managed to survive on ebay for over a decade by simply refunding the money of anyone who complains. There's a comic book collecting lawyer who's energetically trying to shut him down, it's amazing how tough it is though, since ebay couldn't care less about such crimes.
The legal system is responsible for shutting down criminals, institutions like ebay can't do it as they don't want to put themselves in the position of being judge and jury.  Until ebay is held responsible for assisting in the crime, they will look the other way.  I think everyone needs to stop being satisfied just to get their money back and report this to the police.  They will likely get their money back AND take a step towards truly stopping activity like this.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Buzzooka

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2012, 10:06:04 AM »
The legal system is responsible for shutting down criminals, institutions like ebay can't do it as they don't want to put themselves in the position of being judge and jury.  Until ebay is held responsible for assisting in the crime, they will look the other way.  I think everyone needs to stop being satisfied just to get their money back and report this to the police.  They will likely get their money back AND take a step towards truly stopping activity like this.

What town, city or fed. has the police resources to go after someone who sells something not legit on ebay? Call em up and tell them you bought a fradulent sticker on ebay and see what they tell you. Maybe you have a chance if it is a large scale operation.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2012, 10:32:39 AM »
What town, city or fed. has the police resources to go after someone who sells something not legit on ebay? Call em up and tell them you bought a fradulent sticker on ebay and see what they tell you. Maybe you have a chance if it is a large scale operation.
Um, robbery is robbery and the police do take such seriously.  Didn't say they need to dedicate an entire swat team to this but this is so easy to pursue, crime is documented, suspect is easily identified, yup, it would be pursued.  Also, since the postal service is used, I suspect it could be mail fraud and the post master general could be notified.  To your point, I dont think the post master general will take any action as the $ amount is too small but gather up enough cases of the same suspect....then it gets attention.  The attitude that law enforcement will do nothing is exactly why criminals thrive.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 10:35:14 AM »
Some of you are so far down the obsessive rabbit hole you can't see anything but the tunnel. You're taking something so trivial as sketch cards and projecting all this officiality on it. Believe it or not, some people will buy a card just because they like the image and nothing more. Jay Lynch sells drawings of Wacky characters and nobody has a problem with that. Matt Kirscht sold some nice sketches done on Wacky postcards. There's nothing illegal about what they're doing. I don't see any fraud here. Matt is up front in his listings. Anyone can draw any licensed image and sell it provided they sell the actual drawing and not a copy. Warhol made a perfectly legal fortune selling crappy drawings of Marilyn Monroe and Campbell's cans. I think the response here is yet another example of how ridiculous the sketch card craze is. If anyone finds these indistinguishable from original Topps cards then they have no business collecting sketch cards. If Topps doesn't like it they should stick to producing cards that can't be made so easily by fans.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2012, 11:22:13 AM »
Here's a little food for thought.

If some poor slob tries to replicate a work of genuine skill and artistry then they're going to fail and nobody will mistake it for the original. And if he can pick up his magic markers, color in his B&W sketch card to sell on ebay and you can't differentiate that from a Topps artist card then you might want to question what Topps is pushing on you.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2012, 11:26:23 AM »
Some of you are so far down the obsessive rabbit hole you can't see anything but the tunnel. You're taking something so trivial as sketch cards and projecting all this officiality on it. Believe it or not, some people will buy a card just because they like the image and nothing more. Jay Lynch sells drawings of Wacky characters and nobody has a problem with that. Matt Kirscht sold some nice sketches done on Wacky postcards. There's nothing illegal about what they're doing. I don't see any fraud here. Matt is up front in his listings. Anyone can draw any licensed image and sell it provided they sell the actual drawing and not a copy. Warhol made a perfectly legal fortune selling crappy drawings of Marilyn Monroe and Campbell's cans. I think the response here is yet another example of how ridiculous the sketch card craze is. If anyone finds these indistinguishable from original Topps cards then they have no business collecting sketch cards. If Topps doesn't like it they should stick to producing cards that can't be made so easily by fans.

Right! I can draw anything and try to sell it but that doesn't mean anyone will buy it. But what is pissing most of us off is he is actually getting bids for this crap. It will never be worth anything. It's not licensed. It's garbage. I have PC's by Kirscht and Camera that are sketches on the Postcards. I view them as reputable artists that actually contribute to each series. I don't know what kind of value they would have but I don't care because they are part of my collection. What Matt Stock is doing is making a mockery of sketches. He's altered quite a few and now doing his own color sketches. I think he is trying to poke fun at the same hobby that he supposedly loves. A total sham!

Offline Kook

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2012, 11:51:59 AM »
I think he is trying to poke fun at the same hobby that he supposedly loves. A total sham!

I think "poking fun" is the essence of wackys. I see nothing wrong with what he's doing with his sketch cards. I actually find it amusing. He stays just behind the line of directly stating what he is doing is in any way directly related to topps. What concerned me was the parallel with the doctored sketch cards issue. He's not misrepresenting what he's doing with his homemade sketch cards. If people like them, they should buy them at whatever price they feel like paying.

Offline Kook

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2012, 11:59:16 AM »
But what is pissing most of us off is he is actually getting bids for this crap. It will never be worth anything. It's not licensed.

Why would this piss you off? That someone is bidding on his sketches, that he's somewhat implying to the uneducated that his art is somehow related to topps, or does it have anything to do with bad feelings from the altered sketch card issue? I think they are totally separate issues, however, it may come across as some type of a response to the previous altered sketch card incidents.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 12:01:16 PM by Kook »

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2012, 12:57:00 PM »
It seems to me that the auction is technically worded correctly but the words "new artist" could deceive people into thinking this is a new Wacky artist. It comes across that way to me and even after I read the rest of the auction it's still not quite clear. If the auction is meant to poke fun, fine. If people are buying them with full knowledge of what they are, fine. If it doesn't infringe on Topps, fine. Everybody should call themselves a "new artist" and start making some and see what happens

But if this is intentionally designed to trick people, then that's not fine.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 12:59:30 PM by Gurgle »

Offline bandaches

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2012, 01:26:37 PM »
The robbery I referred to is clearly matt's selling altered sketches as originals which carried into this thread as it was this thread that highlighted that it is very likely matt lied when he said he didn't alter the sketches he was selling as originals given that he suddenly is selling whole home made sketches.  Are you condoning his altering sketches as originals without disclosing such for the purpose to make money as trivial? 

I couldn't care less if matt uses wacky package images to try to sell his 4th grade art on ebay.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2012, 01:30:04 PM »
Here's a little food for thought.

If some poor slob tries to replicate a work of genuine skill and artistry then they're going to fail and nobody will mistake it for the original. And if he can pick up his magic markers, color in his B&W sketch card to sell on ebay and you can't differentiate that from a Topps artist card then you might want to question what Topps is pushing on you.

This point is a good one, people falling over themselves to buy colored art is intriguing but don't lose site of the fact that altering a product for the purposes of trying to dupe the buyers into thinking it is an original in order to take more money from them is still a crime.  Selling "home made" name brand purses. watches, sneakers and such without disclosing they are not genuine is a crime.  Don't confuse yourself into thinking otherwise.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2012, 01:32:09 PM »
I think "poking fun" is the essence of wackys. I see nothing wrong with what he's doing with his sketch cards. I actually find it amusing. He stays just behind the line of directly stating what he is doing is in any way directly related to topps. What concerned me was the parallel with the doctored sketch cards issue. He's not misrepresenting what he's doing with his homemade sketch cards. If people like them, they should buy them at whatever price they feel like paying.
Agreed, the only parallel I drew here was that matt's sudden affinity to create his own sketch cards at the same time he was selling altered sketches while denying that he altered the sketches seems to make it obvious he lied about the source of the altered sketches.  Selling those altered sketches as originals is fraud, that is a simple fact.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2012, 01:34:39 PM »
It seems to me that the auction is technically worded correctly but the words "new artist" could deceive people into thinking this is a new Wacky artist. It comes across that way to me and even after I read the rest of the auction it's still not quite clear. If the auction is meant to poke fun, fine. If people are buying them with full knowledge of what they are, fine. If it doesn't infringe on Topps, fine. Everybody should call themselves a "new artist" and start making some and see what happens

But if this is intentionally designed to trick people, then that's not fine.
Why would you possibly consider giving the benefit of the doubt that he is not trying to trick people when just weeks ago he was absolutely trying to trick people by selling altered sketches without disclosing they were altered?

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2012, 02:45:03 PM »
Why would you possibly consider giving the benefit of the doubt that he is not trying to trick people when just weeks ago he was absolutely trying to trick people by selling altered sketches without disclosing they were altered?

I never said I was.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2012, 03:10:43 PM »
I never said I was.
I took your statement "If the auction is meant to poke fun, fine" as opening the door that matts artist auctions were to poke fun and hence not to deceive people into thinking he was somehow a wacky artist in some manner.

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2012, 04:49:36 PM »
I took your statement "If the auction is meant to poke fun, fine" as opening the door that matts artist auctions were to poke fun and hence not to deceive people into thinking he was somehow a wacky artist in some manner.

I was just trying to list the possible interpretations people might have, some that have been discussed already. When I see, "New Artist" associated with the Wacky sketches, I know what it looks like to me. People can draw their own conclusions.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2012, 06:45:03 PM »
Lets just cut to the chase. The only artrist Matt is, is a ripoff artist. He has been doing it for decades. Over 15 years ago he ripped me off for a very large amount of money. It wasnt untill recent that i really understood what he did.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2012, 07:22:56 PM »
Lets just cut to the chase. The only artrist Matt is, is a ripoff artist. He has been doing it for decades. Over 15 years ago he ripped me off for a very large amount of money. It wasnt untill recent that i really understood what he did.

You said it brother! People think he is this great wacky collector and seller but he is a very caniving business man. He knows what he is doing and tried several tactics on me when I was getting back in the hobby, back in 2004. I have posted several times that his pictures of a complete series are just rehashes of previous auctions and that he is playing the odds you won't notice and if you do you have to spend extra effort to mail away the cards for a better card. The whole thing is a pain in the ass and he knows it so most won't do it. I have but it does suck plus extra cash for postage. I have confirmed this tactic he uses with a couple other collectors and they both confirmed that, that is his strategy. He is playing the odds you won't send them back. You may like the guy but you can now, fully, see his intentions. He doesn't care about any of us and if you think he is a friend you are totally in denial. Look at this auction and see how condescening he is to Neil. I took it as very condescending
eBay auction: #221046750416

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2012, 11:59:46 PM »
Topps doesn't seem to really care about enforcing copyrights and trademarks with their Wacky Packages.  There seems to be a lot of unlicensed Wacky Package material for sale these days.  Years ago, I tried to sell most of most live bootleg LPs that I purchased when I was a kid.  Ebay pulled them within 1/2 hour after my postings.  I think someone from Atlantic Records called Ebay to have my postings pulled.  I talked to someone at Ebay to figure out how they know if something is licensed or not. They told me that they do not know so they will pull postings if a representative of the company calls them directly. I guess that it depends on the industry.  Am I missing something or did this artist get permission from Topps?  I do wish someone who works for Topps would have the unlicensed items pulled.

Topps could have these auctions shut down if they wanted to. They probably don't even know about them. Matt is using the trademark name "Wacky Packages" to sell something not licensed by Topps. Plain and simple.

eBay shut down auctions in a similar situation that I know of. Someone was selling replacement plastigoop for Creepy Crawlers kits, and the auctions were shut down for having "Creepy Crawlers" in the title.

anything