Author Topic: Your opinion on OS3  (Read 4212 times)

Offline Alexeirex

Your opinion on OS3
« on: June 09, 2012, 10:58:16 PM »
Am an old time Wacky Packages collector (still have my original WP sticker sets #1-10 and some of the die-cuts!) but a newbie as far as the Old School series. Working (my first exposure to OS series) on OS3 and have a question - I've purchased 3 boxes and have an 80% complete series as a result, including the Ludlow variations. The paks have been pretty well collated as far as dups - is it worth it for me to buy 2 more boxes at a cost of $100 to complete the basic set and get 2 more sketches in the process? Or should I just trade and wheel and deal for the pieces I'm missing? I'm not sure if the sketches even cover half the cost of the extra boxes as some are on ebay for pretty darn cheap -  :P
Thanks!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
Re: Your opinion on OS3
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 03:46:59 AM »
Welcome to the fun!!

Old School 3 is a challenge to put together, especially if you go for the 2 different Ludlow backs.  I'm a big fan of building sets the old fashioned way, but be warned, you could go through a lot more than 2 more boxes searching for the exact last stickers you need.  Think it took until my 8th box to pull the last sticker needed to complete my first set of tan/white/Ludlow, and that was before I decided to separate the Ludlows by back variations and build 2 different sets of those.  With the Ludlows, in some instances I had 5 of one variation, and none of the other.  So, if you're not that into the sketches, you might be disappointed with the results of $100 on 2 boxes.

Why not post a want list here and see what we come up with?  There's a nice size stack of singles in my living room, looking for a good home!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 07:45:34 AM »
I guess it all depends on whether the goal is to complete the master set or to enjoy the process. Because a master set is most likely available for less than the price of a single box.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 07:49:18 AM »
Welcome to the fun!!

Old School 3 is a challenge to put together, especially if you go for the 2 different Ludlow backs.  I'm a big fan of building sets the old fashioned way, but be warned, you could go through a lot more than 2 more boxes searching for the exact last stickers you need.  Think it took until my 8th box to pull the last sticker needed to complete my first set of tan/white/Ludlow, and that was before I decided to separate the Ludlows by back variations and build 2 different sets of those.  With the Ludlows, in some instances I had 5 of one variation, and none of the other.  So, if you're not that into the sketches, you might be disappointed with the results of $100 on 2 boxes.

Why not post a want list here and see what we come up with?  There's a nice size stack of singles in my living room, looking for a good home!

I Wholeheartedly agree with the above and would simply add that you can post your wants/extras OS3 ludlow backs in the thread that was created for that very purpose below.

http://www.wackypackagesforum.com/index.php?topic=2031.0

I put together two master sets mostly through trades. I had purchased 5 boxes. Some of the people on the forum who bought more boxes stated it seemed to take in the ten to twelve box neighborhood to put together a master set.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 08:02:33 AM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 09:31:36 AM »
I guess it all depends on whether the goal is to complete the master set or to enjoy the process. Because a master set is most likely available for less than the price of a single box.

I don't see it as the "either/or" you pose.  It is entirely possible to complete the master set AND enjoy the process.  It's also possible to do so without going broke, because of the great trading possibilities here.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 03:13:31 PM »
I don't see it as the "either/or" you pose.  It is entirely possible to complete the master set AND enjoy the process.  It's also possible to do so without going broke, because of the great trading possibilities here.

I was referring more to the monetary end, whether the goal was to complete the set as cheaply as possible (without much fun) or to maximize the fun. Even taking advantage of trading one has to pony up for several boxes, and again a master set can be had for $25 or so last time I checked.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 03:16:42 PM »
I just checked, maybe not as low as $25 right now, maybe more like $50-60. But I'm sure sportzfreak will put some up dirt cheap again in the future.

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 09:58:05 PM »
I just checked, maybe not as low as $25 right now, maybe more like $50-60. But I'm sure sportzfreak will put some up dirt cheap again in the future.

Does that include the tan, white, and both ludlow variations of everything? Really?

I was able to trade my way to a complete master set (with the ludlow variations) after buying six boxes. I really enjoyed it for OS3.

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 10:17:15 PM »
Thanks for all of the advice! Helpful, helpful....
Alex

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 11:38:38 AM »
Does that include the tan, white, and both ludlow variations of everything? Really?

I was able to trade my way to a complete master set (with the ludlow variations) after buying six boxes. I really enjoyed it for OS3.

No, not both ludlow variations. I don't think I've seen a master set for sale like that.