Author Topic: Old School 4  (Read 102876 times)

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
Re: Old School 4
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2012, 03:49:39 PM »
Will ask about the sharp corners. Not sure why they change them.
thanks.
I'm sure there's a reason for the loss of the sharp corners. Probably easier to do in photoshop, or whatever they use, in the set up process. It'd be nice to get them back, but I'm not holding my breath.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2012, 04:34:00 PM »
David, that is fantastic news, we'll have Olds 4 Thanksgiving!  It must feel great to get the art done 2 months in advance!

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2012, 06:00:27 PM »
Great news.  I was wondering about Olds4 today....  :0012398:

Online crackedjerk

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2012, 07:48:40 PM »
I'm finishing the set paintings this weekend then working on a subset which I think will be cool. I LOVE the concept cards and hope to see them back in Olds5 as we have some ideas for that already.

As soon as I finish up and get my other things in order I hope to be able to participate more on the forum again. It's been a loooong year. I barely have time to breathe.

Great news, Dave!  Thanks for sharing it.  Much as I enjoy OLDS, once a year will make it a real treat.  And November is a nice time just before the holidays.  Also glad to hear about the concept cards.  It's definitely appropriate to tie Wacky history in some way into OLDS.  And though I know it's not "historical", I'd like to give my two cents about the 5 by 7 cards.  I really liked those and missed them in OLDS3.  And while I'm being bossy, I'd also vote for either just one subset of backs or making the backs ever rarer.  I found that, even with five boxes, I couldn't complete a single set of white or ludlow backs.  I ended up trading my "rare" backs for a roughly equal number of tan backs just so I could have more complete sets.  Trading is fun, but best with a small numbre ofitems otherwise I've found it too difficult to do through the mail.

Enough of my opinion.  Glad to hear we're close!  And I also look forward to your participation here on the forum when you have time.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2012, 08:04:08 PM »
Thanks for the update Dave. Great release time for the Olds! It sounds like you are busy with 'good stuff' as opposed to last year about this time. It will be nice to have you back on the forum once you get more time. Really love the Olds 3, don't know how you can top that one ....
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2012, 08:15:43 AM »
David, that is fantastic news, we'll have Olds 4 Thanksgiving!  It must feel great to get the art done 2 months in advance!

Just like I said earlier....Turkey and OLDS4....great combo... ;D ;D

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2012, 09:34:49 AM »

Offline Ruffs

« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2012, 11:44:01 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)
Nice Job, I like your olds logo you thru in there, smart !!!

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2012, 01:05:41 PM »

It's not you Father's Wacky Packages.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline dth1971

« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2012, 08:29:00 PM »

Not Chuck Jones style?

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2012, 06:51:05 PM »

I think he's related to Jay Leno.

Offline dth1971

« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2012, 06:22:48 PM »
It will be out in November. They are going to release Old School every November now (once a year). They want to have ANS be the focus with Olds, Postcards and Posters being the wrap-around stuff.

I'm finishing the set paintings this weekend then working on a subset which I think will be cool. I LOVE the concept cards and hope to see them back in Olds5 as we have some ideas for that already.

As soon as I finish up and get my other things in order I hope to be able to participate more on the forum again. It's been a loooong year. I barely have time to breathe.

Will ask about the sharp corners. Not sure why they change them.

Will it be in October there will be an Wacky Packages OS4 pre-order sale for November 2012 shipments?

Also: I guess Wacky Packages Old School series 5 won't be released until November 2013 if the Old School November release thing keeps up (That's where a TBD entry originally done by the late Gary "Head and Boulders" Browning will show in this series).

« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 06:29:13 PM by dth1971 »

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2012, 11:30:18 AM »
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 11:31:57 AM by paste_anyplace »

Online crackedjerk

« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2012, 01:34:05 PM »
Li'l spoiler:

http://phillynon-sportscardshow.com/promos-oct-12/

Very cool!  And very frustrating that there's no way in the world I can get to Philly for the show.  I'll ask since it doesn't hurt: if anyone is going that can get me a promo card, I'd be happy to buy it or trade for it.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2012, 01:47:33 PM »
Li'l spoiler:

Totally weird. I have no idea what that is. I think those skulls are my work though.

Paintings are all done. I'm finishing the subset this week. Fred! I'm going to write you tonight or tomorrow. Need some help with something. Been a loooong time since we chatted. Sorry, the insane personal stuff has never abated.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2012, 04:26:05 PM »
Totally weird. I have no idea what that is. I think those skulls are my work though.

Paintings are all done. I'm finishing the subset this week. Fred! I'm going to write you tonight or tomorrow. Need some help with something. Been a loooong time since we chatted. Sorry, the insane personal stuff has never abated.

Yep, those are your skulls! Topps had me create the piece as a Halloween themed promo for the Philly Show. The back mirrors the front except that it's the traditional Old School bag and logo (no bones!).
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 04:30:32 PM by koduck »

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2012, 04:34:02 PM »
Yep, those are your skulls! Topps had me create the piece as a Halloween themed promo for the Philly Show. The back mirrors the front except that it's the traditional Old School bag and logo (no bones!).

Very cool. Do you remember where the skulls are from? I'm drawing a blank right now.

*** Wait, it's one of the new ones from OLDS4

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2012, 05:03:23 PM »
Very cool. Do you remember where the skulls are from? I'm drawing a blank right now.

*** Wait, it's one of the new ones from OLDS4

Glad you like it! Yep, it was serendipity that your art fit the gag so perfectly.

Online crackedjerk

« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2012, 06:39:51 PM »
You know what would be great?  If Topps included this OLDS 4 promo with the Halloween orders.  I appreciate the sentiment of having promo cards to draw collectors to the show.  However, those of us obsessive collectors who completely support Wackys but live 1000 miles away and can't get off from work simply can't make the Philly show.  Postcard buyers are very much the market Topps is trying to reach with OLDS, so why not "thank" those buyers by sending them this promo?  I realize the artists may have little or no say in the discussion, but any encouragement you can give Topps would be greatly appreciated by those of us who can't make it to Philly.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2012, 07:15:50 PM »
You know what would be great?  If Topps included this OLDS 4 promo with the Halloween orders.  I appreciate the sentiment of having promo cards to draw collectors to the show.  However, those of us obsessive collectors who completely support Wackys but live 1000 miles away and can't get off from work simply can't make the Philly show.  Postcard buyers are very much the market Topps is trying to reach with OLDS, so why not "thank" those buyers by sending them this promo?  I realize the artists may have little or no say in the discussion, but any encouragement you can give Topps would be greatly appreciated by those of us who can't make it to Philly.

Great idea!

The Philly promos are inherently regionalist or completist or some-kind-of-ist.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2012, 08:16:22 PM »
Li'l spoiler:

Hey Fred, What closet did this come out of-LOL. Thank you for posting. Looking forward to seeing one and all in 3 weeks.

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2012, 08:50:15 PM »
Fred! I'm going to write you tonight or tomorrow. Need some help with something. Been a loooong time since we chatted. Sorry, the insane personal stuff has never abated.

Dave!! Good to hear from ya, looking forward to your e-mail.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2012, 09:11:12 PM »
Impossible for me to make the show this year even though I was going to make a giant effort to make it. Turns out that there is a benefit on the 20th for my Uncle who's been told he has bad cancer. PLUS as if that's not enough, before that benefit was planned, there is a big show planned for my band the Whitewall's on that same day, the 20th. The benefit was initially scheduled for the 1st, but moved to the 20th. It was meant for me NOT TO GO. Needless to say, I'd also appreciate anyone who could pick up some of the promo stuff for me as well. Skull promo of Olds 4 and that Saunders Vote card is super cool too!

Offline wackygarbage

« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2012, 11:19:18 PM »

I concur!  Those of us who obsessively collect anything and everything Wacky related but live too far away to make it worth going to the show just for the promos would greatly appreciate some help from Topps/Philly Non-Sports Card Show.  It probably won't happen and I am not going to hold my breath but I would guess that this type of a giveaway by Topps would benefit at least 90% of the Forum members.

I would like to offer money or a trade for the Old Skull promo card and the Mars Attacks Giclee print promos from the upcoming Philly Non-sports card show if anyone reading this is going.  Please PM me to make arrangements for payment for these 2 cards and any other Wackys, GPKs, or Mars Attacks! promos there may be.

Thank you,

Michael
wackygarbage@yahoo.com

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2012, 06:05:36 AM »
I concur!  Those of us who obsessively collect anything and everything Wacky related but live too far away to make it worth going to the show just for the promos would greatly appreciate some help from Topps/Philly Non-Sports Card Show.  It probably won't happen and I am not going to hold my breath but I would guess that this type of a giveaway by Topps would benefit at least 90% of the Forum members.

I would like to offer money or a trade for the Old Skull promo card and the Mars Attacks Giclee print promos from the upcoming Philly Non-sports card show if anyone reading this is going.  Please PM me to make arrangements for payment for these 2 cards and any other Wackys, GPKs, or Mars Attacks! promos there may be.

Thank you,

Michael
wackygarbage@yahoo.com

No promises, but I'll try to get some extras for the forum faithful. By the way, here's a better image of the design I made:

SORRY, BELATED SPOILER ALERT!!!

« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 01:45:24 PM by koduck »

Online crackedjerk

« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2012, 09:38:42 AM »
No promises, but I'll try to get some extras for the forum faithful.

Thanks, Neil!  I realize it's not within your power necessarily, but I appreciate your efforts.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2012, 02:50:46 PM »
No promises, but I'll try to get some extras for the forum faithful. By the way, here's a better image of the design I made:

Thanks Neil!  I might make the show, but as always happens with the fall show, there's a family event the same weekend.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2012, 09:17:15 AM »
The Philly promos are inherently regionalist or completist or some-kind-of-ist.

That cracks me up Doctor Sushi-mon. I’ve gotten so used to the term “Philly promo” that I assume all promos come from there! I can’t imagine the word “promo” being used with any other city. We probably shouldn’t call people who live in Philly fascists, but the way they go on and on about their cheese steak sandwiches…

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2012, 02:17:04 PM »
that should really go under the Halloween postcard thread.

I found some more info on that booklet, and I'll post it there

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2012, 02:19:03 PM »
On ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Topps-Wacky-Packages-Comics-Presents-The-Wacky-Wizard-of-Odds-NYCC-2012-Simko-/251159467702?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3a7a4556b6

Remember, last year the Jay Lynch Wacky Packages Comic was available for a low price ($10?) on Topps' website after the Philly Show. I do not plan to pay someone an extra $30 for this year's version.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2012, 03:24:09 PM »
That cracks me up Doctor Sushi-mon. I’ve gotten so used to the term “Philly promo” that I assume all promos come from there! I can’t imagine the word “promo” being used with any other city. We probably shouldn’t call people who live in Philly fascists, but the way they go on and on about their cheese steak sandwiches…

Right, Jean Nutty-san. Likewise, if there was a Match Game '12 and the clue was Philly ___ , one of the first answers that would come to my mind would be "promo". Perhaps after "cheese steak" and maybe before "Phantatic".

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2012, 10:49:03 AM »
I don't know anything about this Simko comic, But from the image on ebay, it looks like they got the Code Seal on the cover!  Congrats to Topps! 

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2012, 10:58:02 AM »
Incidentally, although I didn't start doing stuff for Topps until 1966,  This l963 product I did has been re-created from the original art, and it seems to be on sale this month at a reduced price.    http://www.cafepress.com/dd/54718292

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2012, 06:23:18 PM »
I don't know anything about this Simko comic, But from the image on ebay, it looks like they got the Code Seal on the cover!  Congrats to Topps! 

Actually, it's a "Comic Clods" logo I made with the original character from Harm & Hammer!

anything