Author Topic: Transverse Myelitis  (Read 25010 times)

Offline lucidjc

Transverse Myelitis
« on: June 03, 2012, 09:06:56 PM »
 I just got out of the hospital. Was in there from May 4th to the 29th. I have a condition called " Transverse Myelitis"  Which basically is a lesion on my spine.  From this, my left leg was at 0% and my right leg at its worst was 50% or less. It started to travel up my body, leaving me with no abdominal muscles and at the emergency room i started to lose the ability to breath. I thought i was dying. They emergency transported me to a hospital 3 hours away for better treatment. I was there 25 days. The treatment they gave me was 9 courses of prednisone steroid, plasmapheresis and a treatment of IVIG-- Intravenous immunoglobulin. I had stopped getting worse, and am now getting better. I have almost 90% of my right leg back and maybe 50% of my left. My abs are starting to come back. I am going to physical therapy and working out on my own. May take 6months to a year to get everything back. 100% is my goal if my body will allow(lets keep our fingers crossed). They tested me for everything from Lyme, MS and HIV, as of now they have no known cause.

I may have to sell some, most or maybe even all my wackys to pay the bills, which I'm sure will run into the 100's of thousands of dollars. My insurance will pay most but I'm pretty sure i will owe anywhere from 20K to 50k.

I am scrambling now to sell other stuff first. Wackys are my formost hobby and will be the last to go.

Please keep me in your prayers, if prayer isn't your thing...send well wishes, I'll convert them. Anyone who has questions i will gladly answer them.

LucidJC...Jimmy

A link that explains some.
http://www.myelitis.org/tm.htm
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 09:24:37 PM by lucidjc »

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
Re: Transverse Myelitis
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 09:22:43 PM »
Very sorry to hear this, hope you continue to get well!  This sounds very much like Guillain-Barre syndrome.  I know about this as one of my co-worker's 5 year old sons go it.  Very scary shit out there, we should all never take our health for granted.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 06:12:37 AM »
I just got out of the hospital. Was in there from May 4th to the 29th. I have a condition called " Transverse Myelitis"  Which basically is a lesion on my spine.  From this, my left leg was at 0% and my right leg at its worst was 50% or less. It started to travel up my body, leaving me with no abdominal muscles and at the emergency room i started to lose the ability to breath. I thought i was dying. They emergency transported me to a hospital 3 hours away for better treatment. I was there 25 days. The treatment they gave me was 9 courses of prednisone steroid, plasmapheresis and a treatment of IVIG-- Intravenous immunoglobulin. I had stopped getting worse, and am now getting better. I have almost 90% of my right leg back and maybe 50% of my left. My abs are starting to come back. I am going to physical therapy and working out on my own. May take 6months to a year to get everything back. 100% is my goal if my body will allow(lets keep our fingers crossed). They tested me for everything from Lyme, MS and HIV, as of now they have no known cause.

I may have to sell some, most or maybe even all my wackys to pay the bills, which I'm sure will run into the 100's of thousands of dollars. My insurance will pay most but I'm pretty sure i will owe anywhere from 20K to 50k.

I am scrambling now to sell other stuff first. Wackys are my formost hobby and will be the last to go.

Please keep me in your prayers, if prayer isn't your thing...send well wishes, I'll convert them. Anyone who has questions i will gladly answer them.

LucidJC...Jimmy

Holy smokes!  Talk about turning your life upside-down on a dime!  How many days went by before they figured out what condition you had?  It's a good thing somebody was able to bring you to the E.R. since it was progressing so fast.  So you are back home now?         

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Kook

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 06:41:39 AM »

LucidJC...Jimmy

Best wishes & prayers for a full & speedy recovery!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 07:56:31 AM »
very sorry to hear about this. It's crazy how we take everything for granted and then something like this just blind sides you. I'm glad you are doing better.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 08:02:59 AM »

LucidJC...Jimmy

Defintely in my prayers Dude!!! Send you a PM on the other thing!!

Any idea of how you might of contracted that?? is it like a parasite?? Get Well Soon!! ;D

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 09:51:35 AM »
wow, that sounds crazy, scary, painful, and everything else!

I'm glad to hear you're doing a little better (I think?) and that you have a good outlook
on it all.

Take a few shots of Old Grand-Mom Whiskey for a better recovery  :D

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 02:05:43 PM »
Wow... hope your recovery is a speedy one and that you have friends and family around to help out. I must profess to not having heard of this condition before. It sounds like it stops you right in your tracks.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 02:32:37 PM »
Please keep me in your prayers, if prayer isn't your thing...send well wishes, I'll convert them.

Great line! I've not heard that before. I am glad you are doing better Jim.

Once again, I need to totally redefine what a "bad day" is. This sounds like an incredibly scary ordeal. 

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 03:49:21 PM »
Wow, sounds like a horrible ordeal but glad to hear you're improving. It sounds like it's a good thing that no underlying cause was found.

My abs are starting to come back.

Sounds like a lot to go through just to get your abs back. I think mine are gone for good.

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 04:26:09 PM »

LucidJC...Jimmy

Wow, what an ordeal!  I'm glad you are on the mend. Please keep us updated.
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 04:26:33 PM »
Holy smokes!  Talk about turning your life upside-down on a dime!  How many days went by before they figured out what condition you had?  It's a good thing somebody was able to bring you to the E.R. since it was progressing so fast.  So you are back home now?         

Yes Rob, I'm back home now. They figured it out pretty quickly once i got to Buffalo General Hospital. They have an advanced neurology dept there. I will tell the whole story once i feel up to it. It was and still is a very frightening ordeal.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 04:32:21 PM »
Very sorry to hear this, hope you continue to get well!  This sounds very much like Guillain-Barre syndrome.  I know about this as one of my co-worker's 5 year old sons go it.  Very scary shit out there, we should all never take our health for granted.

Thanks Ernie, it is very much like Guillain-Barre syndrome. It's also like but not multiple sclerosis. If there were more lesions, either on my spine or brain it would be MS. I hope to see you and everyone who can make the next show. I'm so angry i missed the last one.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 04:34:20 PM »
Best wishes & prayers for a full & speedy recovery!

Thank you, I am working as hard as i can to stay on top of this. Not much i can do except to have a positive attitude, and keep my muscles strong for when my motor function comes back.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 04:47:45 PM »
wow, that sounds crazy, scary, painful, and everything else!

I'm glad to hear you're doing a little better (I think?) and that you have a good outlook
on it all.

Take a few shots of Old Grand-Mom Whiskey for a better recovery  :D

It is Zen. Crazy, SCARY, painful and 50 other things.

I am doing a little better. Getting better, no matter how little is still better than getting worse.

Funny thing is, i quit smoking 10 years ago, and quit drinking over 1 year ago. Tried to eat right and do everything right....see where it got me ( Now were the hell did i stash my booze and ciggs )

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 04:55:13 PM »
Wow... hope your recovery is a speedy one and that you have friends and family around to help out. I must profess to not having heard of this condition before. It sounds like it stops you right in your tracks.

Thanks Scot, My wife was sent from God. She has carried me through this when i couldnt carry myself. I never thought in a million years i would have to depend on her SO much right now. I guess we were ment for each other. 8 years ago she was diagnosed with breast cancer. 7 operations over 300 doctor visits and 3 years of chemo. I stood by her side as a care giver and asked her to marry me when she was at her worst. I never thought she would be my care giver so soon. 

Ernie said it best, "Very scary shit out there, we should all never take our health for granted" OR OUR LOVED ONES. You never know when they'll be gone.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 04:58:46 PM »
Wow, sounds like a horrible ordeal but glad to hear you're improving. It sounds like it's a good thing that no underlying cause was found.

Sounds like a lot to go through just to get your abs back. I think mine are gone for good.

At this point Sushi, I dont want them to find a cause, i just want to get on the road to wellsville.

And I'm not talking about a six pack, i lost that 25 years ago......i just want my keg back!

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 05:03:05 PM »

Wow, what an ordeal!  I'm glad you are on the mend. Please keep us updated.

I am on the mend Sue Mee, but it seems like a hard road ahead, i dont know what to expect. From feeling fine one day to bed ridden the next is a scary ordeal. I just want to get back to my argumentative goofy old self...

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2012, 05:08:55 PM »
Wow, sorry to hear you experienced this, but very glad to hear you are on the road to recovery!

Will be sending good thoughts, vibes, prayers, and virtual Jägermeister shots your way!  :great:

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2012, 06:23:46 PM »

LucidJC...Jimmy

Wow Jim, was wondering where you've been around here. Glad to hear you are on the mend. Forget those cigs and booze, keep up with the positive thinking and I will definitely pray for you.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2012, 07:54:44 PM »
Wow Jim, was wondering where you've been around here. Glad to hear you are on the mend. Forget those cigs and booze, keep up with the positive thinking and I will definitely pray for you.

I know Jeff, i was a bit of a motormouth around here for a while. Dont worry the cigs and booze will stay tucked away. I have no reason to go back, trying to get healthy and those just dont go together. Thanks for your support!!

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2012, 07:56:01 PM »

Will be sending good thoughts, vibes, prayers, and virtual Jägermeister shots your way!  :great:

I need em' all right now Porkie, so send away!!!   THANKS!!!

Offline Buzzooka

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2012, 08:35:33 PM »
I need em' all right now Porkie, so send away!!!   THANKS!!!

Wow, trials and tribulations of life! Good luck, and be strong!

Regards.....

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2012, 03:06:28 PM »
Wow, trials and tribulations of life! Good luck, and be strong!

Regards.....

Thanks Mark.....i really hope to walk into the fall show and see you, and everyone who can attend.

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2012, 03:19:51 PM »
Thanks Mark.....i really hope to walk into the fall show and see you, and everyone who can attend.
Keep the faith Jim. I'll be thinkin' about you. Hope to see you in Allentown.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2012, 03:39:08 PM »
Keep the faith Jim. I'll be thinkin' about you. Hope to see you in Allentown.

Roger that Ratch!

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2012, 06:27:58 PM »
Wow sorry you had to go through all that! Glad you are doing better.
Did you by chance get a flu shot (or other vaccination) recently before this happened? My wife has MS and there is a theory out there that vaccines are causal of MS. I see in that link you provided that may also be true for TM.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2012, 08:56:56 PM »
Wow sorry you had to go through all that! Glad you are doing better.
Did you by chance get a flu shot (or other vaccination) recently before this happened? My wife has MS and there is a theory out there that vaccines are causal of MS. I see in that link you provided that may also be true for TM.

No John, i didn't get any vaccines. I had MANY many tests for just about everything, and all came up zero! The Doctors said besides this, I'm a pretty healthy guy. Which gave me cause to look at my past to anything that may have been a trigger, i came up empty. Viruses can cause this also, so i may have had one and didn't even know it. No one should worry, only 1-5 out of a million will get this in any given year....I consider myself the worlds unluckyest, lucky guy!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 02:45:37 AM by lucidjc »

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2012, 06:23:55 AM »
No John, i didn't get any vaccines. I had MANY many tests for just about everything, and all came up zero! The Doctors said besides this, I'm a pretty healthy guy. Which gave me cause to look at my past to anything that may have been a trigger, i came up empty. Viruses can cause this also, so i may have had one and didn't even know it. No one should worry, only 1-5 out of a million will get this in any given year....I consider myself the worlds unluckyest, lucky guy!

The way I look at things like this is that you can be great with healthy eating, exercise, stay away from unhealthy things like smoking, drugs, etc., but all you are doing is improving your odds for success.  There's no guarantee in this game of life.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2012, 11:25:35 AM »

LucidJC...Jimmy

Hadn't heard of this before. I'm sorry to hear and I hope they caught it early and you keep getting better. Good luck.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2012, 11:56:46 AM »
Hadn't heard of this before. I'm sorry to hear and I hope they caught it early and you keep getting better. Good luck.

Ya know guys (and the few gals here as well), as a group, we are getting up there in years. I think the majority of us are at least 40 or better. Perhaps we need a MALADIES subject thread to post our, what will undoubtedly be ever increasing, notes about our advancing years' aches, pains, afflictions, etc. Maybe even a medicine swap thread as well!!     ;)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 05:43:23 PM by sco(o)t »

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2012, 12:05:13 PM »
Ya know guys (and the few gals here as well), as a group, we are getting up there in years. I think the majority of us are at least 40 or better. Perhaps we need a MALODIES subject thread to post our, what will undoubtedly be ever increasing, notes about our advancing years' aches, pains, afflictions, etc. Maybe even a medicine swap thread as well!!     ;)

That's great i'll take some ACID!!! :] :]cures all!! ;D

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2012, 01:39:36 PM »
Ya know guys (and the few gals here as well), as a group, we are getting up there in years. I think the majority of us are at least 40 or better. Perhaps we need a MALODIES subject thread to post our, what will undoubtedly be ever increasing, notes about our advancing years' aches, pains, afflictions, etc. Maybe even a medicine swap thread as well!!     ;)

i've got a few extra Percocets left over from my hernia surgery from a few weeks back :]

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2012, 01:50:06 PM »
i've got a few extra Percocets left over from my hernia surgery from a few weeks back :]

SOLD!!!

PM sent

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2012, 02:00:05 PM »
SOLD!!!

PM sent

Everyone scram!!! ATF at the door!!!    :91:

anything