Author Topic: Lost wacky or show promo?  (Read 4650 times)

Offline Kook

Lost wacky or show promo?
« on: May 30, 2012, 05:21:33 AM »
I just saw this card & know that Strephon also handed out a signed promo poster at a comic con. Does anyone know if this card was a special promo made for the event with the poster, or is this simply a signed lost wacky from the lost wacky set in 2006?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-WACKY-PACKAGES-REDVEINS-CARD-SIGNED-BY-STREPHON-TAYLOR-/221037663222?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3376df13f6

Offline dth1971

Re: Lost wacky or show promo?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 06:06:09 AM »
Red Vines turned up as a silver foil sticker in ANS3.

Offline Kook

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 06:51:14 AM »
Red Vines turned up as a silver foil sticker in ANS3.

This is not a Topps wacky. It's either a show promo, or a 2006 lost wacky(from the 2006 lost wacky collection).

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 08:48:44 AM »
This is not a Topps wacky. It's either a show promo, or a 2006 lost wacky(from the 2006 lost wacky collection).

That's one of bonus titles from the Lost Wackys series 1.  Someone just had the artist sign it. 
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 09:21:54 AM »
That's one of bonus titles from the Lost Wackys series 1.  Someone just had the artist sign it. 

Thats what it looks like to me as well. Comparing a Lost Wacky card to the one shown, it seems to be the correct layout, etc. It would be interesting to know what, if anything, is on the card reverse side.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 12:02:47 PM »
Thats what it looks like to me as well. Comparing a Lost Wacky card to the one shown, it seems to be the correct layout, etc. It would be interesting to know what, if anything, is on the card reverse side.

The seller mentions that the back is blank, plus it's a scored card so I'm 99% sure it's from the Lost Wacky S1 set. 

On a similar note I can't believe how many singles from those Lost Wacky sets are selling for high amounts.  I don't get the mentality of buying that set one at a time.  Maybe some buyers only want a handful of titles from the set.  My guess is that they are uneducated buyers who don't know the origin of the various Lost Wackys and jump on any that they see.  It's understandable since it can be very confusing and there is little about them on the internet.   
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Kook

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 12:14:24 PM »
The seller mentions that the back is blank, plus it's a scored card so I'm 99% sure it's from the Lost Wacky S1 set.  

On a similar note I can't believe how many singles from those Lost Wacky sets are selling for high amounts.  I don't get the mentality of buying that set one at a time.  Maybe some buyers only want a handful of titles from the set.  My guess is that they are uneducated buyers who don't know the origin of the various Lost Wackys and jump on any that they see.  It's understandable since it can be very confusing and there is little about them on the internet.  

I agree, I think it's a combination of lack of knowledge & lack of availability. If a set is broken up & sold separately, the chances of getting all the cards are pretty small. Given those circumstances, I think people are purchasing a card or 2 (or more) of the ones they like from what's available - the alternative being not having any.

I raised the issue about the signed red veins card because I recently purchased a red veins poster signed in black ink. Oddly, it came with a red veins white back card (unsigned). I thought it was a lost wacky thrown in for good measure, so I gave it no extra thought. Now seeing the signed red veins card, it made me think it might have been a different release with the poster. From what I researched about a year or more ago, the red veins posters signed in black were given out at comic con, and the ones signed in red were given out privately by Strephon.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 12:16:58 PM by Kook »

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 12:24:44 PM »
I wonder if people are equating "Lost" with "Rare" and are thinking they therefore must be worth more. Someone is definitely making some money recently, but sad that it is done like this.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 12:31:56 PM »
I wonder if people are equating "Lost" with "Rare" and are thinking they therefore must be worth more. Someone is definitely making some money recently, but sad that it is done like this.

Auctions of Lost Wacky items (or X-packs or repro posters/cards or other similar items), it really should be noted that is is not a licensed Topps product. Having made that naive statement, I realize there is no effective way to monitor of enforce such a policy.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Kook

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 01:57:13 PM »

I would say, in the case of the lost wackys series 1, series 2 & reworked titles, although they are not topps products, they are lost wackys & they are rare considering only 120 sets were produced. Also, considering the quality is pretty decent, they are actually diecut, were created with the lost wacky art I would say they do have a place in a wacky fan's collection. The price is to be determined by suppy, demand & information. After all, you can't get these sets anymore.

Offline Kook

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 02:00:16 PM »
Auctions of Lost Wacky items (or X-packs or repro posters/cards or other similar items), it really should be noted that is is not a licensed Topps product. Having made that naive statement, I realize there is no effective way to monitor of enforce such a policy.

I don't think people are necessarily buying these becasue they think they are a topps product. There are no copyrights, and most of the lost wacky auctions lately have been pretty informative about where they come from. I think the artwork is good & they are of actual lost wackys, so people want them in their collections more for those reasons, than for the reason that they are actually a topps product.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 03:02:31 AM »
I have purchased all the lost wackys sets but the coolest item I own is a lost wacky binder. it even has the Ovary Show sticker on the binder so I have to keep the binder away from younger eyes.

DrDeal

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 04:49:01 AM »
I have purchased all the lost wackys sets but the coolest item I own is a lost wacky binder. it even has the Ovary Show sticker on the binder so I have to keep the binder away from younger eyes.

DrDeal

That's a very professionally done binder, but I really wish it didn't include Ovary Show.

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 08:06:52 AM »
I just saw this card & know that Strephon also handed out a signed promo poster at a comic con. Does anyone know if this card was a special promo made for the event with the poster, or is this simply a signed lost wacky from the lost wacky set in 2006?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-WACKY-PACKAGES-REDVEINS-CARD-SIGNED-BY-STREPHON-TAYLOR-/221037663222?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3376df13f6

This title also came out as a poster Strephon signed as well.  I can't remember what year I got mine, but I bet it was right around 2005.  The poster is pretty cool.
Still looking for Series 17

anything