Author Topic: Vote for Gary's  (Read 11673 times)

Offline Rabid Shaver

• Trivia Pirates
Vote for Gary's
« on: May 25, 2012, 07:27:49 PM »
In an ongoing Effort to Celebrate Gary's life as well as his love for Wackies, Wacky Artist David Gross has promised an effort to immortalize one of his works in the next old school series...Announcing a 3-day Window to nominate any of his over 300 amazing Home Made Wackies.   They can be found here:  http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/8829514_LibRK#!i=1599593699&k=tHD46jQ   Take your time, Gary obviously did!   All Posts already made have been noted and will be included in the final vote.  Hopefully this can help Dave in this endeavor.   

Offline 70s_Kid

Re: Vote for Gary's
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 08:52:07 PM »
I vote for TOMB

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 10:45:48 PM »
Wow, he did a lot! Definitely a bunch in the "not for the kiddies" category, though! ;)

Friggin Berry still makes me laugh, and Juicky Toot made me laugh out loud (probably not family-friendly enough for a Wacky), but my vote ended up being for KUSS, either as a sticker or as both a sticker and the puzzle (if it was a Topps product like baseball cards, etc.).

I could see this being one he would love to have published since he was such a KISS fan. :)

Would make a great puzzle too!

Offline paulygsparodies

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 06:27:14 AM »
My vote is a three-way tie between Ill-Tempered Sulk, Sniffling Yellow Honkers! & Stingers.

By the by, about Gary's last spoof, "RASH", what's that making fun of? I'm Stumped!

Pauly

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 06:56:47 AM »
I think this voting is fine and i don't want to come off as a wet blanket, but we must realize, regardless of the results, Dave will need to pick one that he feels fits the Wacky Package feel and other factors they use when making the go/no go decision for a release such as proper time frame, etc. We have all seen the artists post "rejected" ideas here that we thought were great. Just saying that the popular vote may not necessarilly result in a title that Dave can necessarilly use, but hopefully it will give Dave an idea of the top 5 or so titles to help him select from. I do believe that Gary had enough really nice ideas that there should be no problem.

The ones that made me laugh out loud were:

Fanny Face (seems like good, goofy,  10-year-old humor)
     Sick's Vipor Rub  (the idea of rubbing this on your chest only to find it was live, coiling and biting vipers appealed to my dark side somehow)
     Toyson Rubber Chicken   (classic)

« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 07:00:36 AM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 07:12:20 AM »
My vote is a three-way tie between Ill-Tempered Sulk, Sniffling Yellow Honkers! & Stingers.

By the by, about Gary's last spoof, "RASH", what's that making fun of? I'm Stumped!

Pauly

I want to guess that it is a parody of an album cover, from a musical.

Or is a joke on the TV show Smash? I am guessing “alleric” is a typo and not a clue, but unsure

I’ve been enjoying looking at Gary’s artwork and gags. Some are really great.  Vampax is killer

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 07:17:14 AM »
i don't want to come off as a wet blanket

But can be useful sometimes

For example, when putting out fires and growing bean sprouts   ;D

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 07:20:28 AM »

Pauly
looks like the cover for Rush's eponymous first album.
[expando]http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/b0/ed/97e1024128a05968f2482010.L.jpg[/expando][expando]http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-tHD46jQ/0/L/i-tHD46jQ-L.jpg[/expando]

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 07:35:51 AM »
looks like the cover for Rush's eponymous first album.
[expando]http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/b0/ed/97e1024128a05968f2482010.L.jpg[/expando][expando]http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-tHD46jQ/0/L/i-tHD46jQ-L.jpg[/expando]

Geddy Lee had the "Rash" parody on a t-shirt during their last tour.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 07:39:51 AM by Paul_Maul »

Offline dth1971

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 10:13:53 AM »
I vote for Stingers (a spoof of Dolly Madison Zingers).

Offline MadMike

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 10:22:04 AM »
I really liked the parody of Red Man Chewing Tobacco:   "Dead Man"

http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/584950543_HTXbV-M.jpg
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 10:26:18 AM by MadMike »

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2012, 10:41:51 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)
WOW! That is awesome. I love Geddy's sense of humour.
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 11:00:51 AM »
Guys,

It will be helpful to remember that in order to make the cut at all, I'd guess that the parody needs to be of a 70's packaged product, and that it can't involve tobacco or alcohol, per the new Old School rules (plus whatever rules we don't already know).   

Maybe it would be better to try to just narrow it down to Gary's parodies that fall in the area that is usable for a 70's Old School series...that might help Dave quite a lot.  Based on what I've seen of Dave's rejected concepts, I'd assume many of Gary's wouldn't be allowed, as they currently are.   
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Ruffs

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2012, 11:59:16 AM »
FANNY FACE is my vote. Thinking back to my young original collecting years way back when, this card would have gotten a good chuckle!!!

Offline dth1971

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2012, 03:13:36 PM »
Guys,

It will be helpful to remember that in order to make the cut at all, I'd guess that the parody needs to be of a 70's packaged product, and that it can't involve tobacco or alcohol, per the new Old School rules (plus whatever rules we don't already know).   

Maybe it would be better to try to just narrow it down to Gary's parodies that fall in the area that is usable for a 70's Old School series...that might help Dave quite a lot.  Based on what I've seen of Dave's rejected concepts, I'd assume many of Gary's wouldn't be allowed, as they currently are.   

The Stingers package in 1970's style!

Offline Rabid Shaver

• Trivia Pirates
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2012, 05:08:36 PM »
Guys,

Very Good point....will keep that in mind when setting up the final Voting Booth ;)

Offline dth1971

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2012, 06:08:32 PM »
And for those who don't know what the Dolly Madison Zingers spoof (Stingers) looks like, here it is:

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2012, 07:55:39 PM »
My vote is for the Grease parody.

Offline dth1971

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2012, 06:28:03 AM »
With this OS4 voting session regarding one of the late Gary/H&B's drawings to fit the OS series, this may put the launch of Wacky Packages OS4 planned for Summer 2012 release into Fall 2012.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2012, 07:35:00 AM »
OLDS4 is already planned and almost finished so this would be for OLDS5. I will submit the best concepts. More than one will help. I will let them know who they are from and hopefully we can get one (or more) in. I can't guarantee anything though and keep in mind they may make changes.

No alcohol or tobacco, no concepts with sick body humor, no foul language, no products not from the 70s, no products already spoofed in OLDS1-4 or the original OS 1-16 run. That will narrow it down.

Offline dth1971

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2012, 11:23:44 AM »
OLDS4 is already planned and almost finished so this would be for OLDS5. I will submit the best concepts. More than one will help. I will let them know who they are from and hopefully we can get one (or more) in. I can't guarantee anything though and keep in mind they may make changes.

No alcohol or tobacco, no concepts with sick body humor, no foul language, no products not from the 70s, no products already spoofed in OLDS1-4 or the original OS 1-16 run. That will narrow it down.

I think Gary's Fanny Face could be out of the running since it counts as sick body humor.

Offline dth1971

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2012, 11:32:43 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

The Rush album cover parody "RASH" would have fit in the Silly CD's series (Too bad there's not a 3rd. Silly CD series)

Also: Do you think at least 1 of Gary's 2000ish homemades (and rough drawings - His Wacky B&W roughs aren't on the site with the color ones!) would be perfect for Wacky Packages ANS10 if Topps gives an ANS10 green light for a 2013 release?

Offline Ruffs

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2012, 12:25:31 PM »
WOW! That is awesome. I love Geddy's sense of humour.
The band put out a DVD Set, rush Time Machine  "Live in Cleveland 02011". There was a limited release with a "RASH" t shirt included also the band did a video of the "RASH" band wearing wigs & costumes, playing one of their songs like an um pah band. I wonder if Gary caught the eye of the band with his spoof card of the 1st album. Anyone have any  contact with Geddy Lee

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2012, 01:40:37 PM »
And for those who don't know what the Dolly Madison Zingers spoof (Stingers) looks like, here it is:

I'll go with that one too.  That one seems to work well and would be a fun one to paint.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline dth1971

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2012, 01:49:47 PM »
How about these by Gary that would fit in future OLD SCHOOL series?:

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2012, 03:06:31 PM »
my vote ended up being for KUSS, either as a sticker or as both a sticker and the puzzle (if it was a Topps product like baseball cards, etc.).

I could see this being one he would love to have published since he was such a KISS fan. :)

Would make a great puzzle too!

I agree. KUSS is my choice, too.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2012, 04:19:43 PM »
I agree. KUSS is my choice, too.

It definitely should be a parody related to KISS.  I also vote for KUSS and making it the puzzle for the series would be the ultimate tribute.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline dth1971

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2012, 07:12:01 PM »
It definitely should be a parody related to KISS.  I also vote for KUSS and making it the puzzle for the series would be the ultimate tribute.

But KISS trading cards was never made by Topps.

I know OS1 spoofed Fleer's Crazy Magazine Covers.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2012, 07:54:30 AM »
I like any of these for an Olds School Series:

Fudgifilm
Grazinets
Hearsay Syrup
Skool Aid
Fleaberry
Ghostess Fright Pie
Silkyway
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline dth1971

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2012, 02:11:57 PM »
I like any of these for an Olds School Series:

Fudgifilm
Grazinets
Hearsay Syrup
Skool Aid
Fleaberry
Ghostess Fright Pie
Silkyway

Fudgifilm is 1980's, not 1970's!

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2012, 05:40:01 PM »

Well Fujifilm was certainly around in the 1970's (and decades earlier too) but probably not with this style of packaging.
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2012, 10:14:19 PM »

Okey dokey then. It looked at lot like 70's since it is in a flash bulb style packaging. When crutial details like this escape me, I have to wonder if I am losing my mind.  :o

So when exactly was the death of the flash bulb? And can you still buy em?
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2012, 09:31:18 AM »
Okey dokey then. It looked at lot like 70's since it is in a flash bulb style packaging. When crutial details like this escape me, I have to wonder if I am losing my mind.  :o

So when exactly was the death of the flash bulb? And can you still buy em?

If you need to buy flash bulbs it might be time to get a new camera :]

Offline Final Step

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2012, 01:12:59 PM »
In an ongoing Effort to Celebrate Gary's life as well as his love for Wackies, Wacky Artist David Gross has promised an effort to immortalize one of his works in the next old school series...Announcing a 3-day Window to nominate any of his over 300 amazing Home Made Wackies.   They can be found here:  http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/8829514_LibRK#!i=1599593699&k=tHD46jQ   Take your time, Gary obviously did!   All Posts already made have been noted and will be included in the final vote.  Hopefully this can help Dave in this endeavor.   

I vote for Joey and Popped Cock, Haggies is good too, but may be 1980's.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2012, 01:54:51 PM »
I vote for Joey and Popped Cock, Haggies is good too, but may be 1980's.

Those are good but I like Toady Bol and S&M - their funny !! like Monday's as well...