Author Topic: So What Will This Go For?  (Read 25260 times)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
Re: So What Will This Go For?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 08:51:44 AM »
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 08:55:53 AM »
That one is so nice it almost looks like a repro.  I'm not that schooled in PSA but I could see it going for $7,500.00 and I wouldn't be surprised to see it go for more.  

Eric Roberts' registry set only has an 8 for the Ratz, so if he's motivated, the price will depend mostly on how deep the pockets of the competition are, I guess. The fact that it's the only 9 will be a big deal in the price too.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 10:01:40 AM »
That one is so nice it almost looks like a repro.  I'm not that schooled in PSA but I could see it going for $7,500.00 and I wouldn't be surprised to see it go for more. 
It looked like it could be a repro to me, as well. I agree, upper 4 figures to even lower 5 wouldn't be out of the question. I wonder where that was discovered...

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 10:29:43 AM »
Also interesting: based on the certification number, it would appear this was graded within the last few months.

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 10:30:13 AM »
I'm no expert but it does seem a bit too clean and bright. The color/contrast seems off -- that part really looks like a repro to me.

A question for the experts: the perf line on the left looks odd to me as well. The way it "breaks" seems inconsistent with other Ratz I've seen.

Ok, so here's the big question for the experts: Should the perfs on Ratz always be at the same points? Seems to me the answer is yes. If so, then the perfs are definitely not in the same places as the one pictured on Greg's site. Look, for example, at the perf in the lower right of the one from Greg's site. It's completely different on this Ratz. Same with the upper right, where there are two near the corner on Greg's and only one on this. Suspicious or normal?

Edit: these two currently on eBay have perfs in the same locations as the one on Greg's site:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-Topps-Wacky-Packages-32-RATZ-CRACKERS-RARE-/280857154877?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416464153d
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-Topps-Wacky-Packages-Die-Cut-Ratz-Crackers-PSA-4-/280630395933?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4156e0041d
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 10:33:27 AM by Porkie »

Offline Kook

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 11:03:12 AM »
It looked like it could be a repro to me, as well. I agree, upper 4 figures to even lower 5 wouldn't be out of the question. I wonder where that was discovered...

I agree that the final price will be in the $8,000 to $12,000 range. Only the deep pockets will be in on this at these prices. I think it's more a matter of PSA bragging rights rather than a "market" price. It's kind of in its own market.

I was very surprised that this Ratz (ended this morning) didn't even break $1,000. I know the condition is pretty rough, but it is a Ratz, and it is unpunched. Was this one punished for its poor condition, or is the market still a bit soft for these high end items? I don't think I've ever seen a complete Ratz (or cracked animals for that matter - which seems slightly more rare than the Ratz) sell for less than $1000, even in vg/exc condition.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item519f485c6a&item=350564670570&nma=true&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&rt=nc&si=4lILs6AD97Mtgsu6WHhr91PUD9k%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 11:05:21 AM »
WOW, that's the nicest one I've seen. I'm no expert since I never splurged on one but WOW!

Offline Kook

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 11:06:01 AM »
Also interesting: based on the certification number, it would appear this was graded within the last few months.

Yes, the serial # is pretty high. Do you think PSA has gotten tougher or more lenient on wackys over the past 5 years, or have they been pretty consistent in their grading?

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 11:20:21 AM »

I was very surprised that this Ratz (ended this morning) didn't even break $1,000. I know the condition is pretty rough, but it is a Ratz, and it is unpunched. Was this one punished for its poor condition, or is the market still a bit soft for these high end items? I don't think I've ever seen a complete Ratz (or cracked animals for that matter - which seems slightly more rare than the Ratz) sell for less than $1000, even in vg/exc condition.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item519f485c6a&item=350564670570&nma=true&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&rt=nc&si=4lILs6AD97Mtgsu6WHhr91PUD9k%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

It doesn't help that the seller didn't bother to take the card out of the penny sleeve and toploader for the pics.  That just makes it harder to see the card and makes it look worse in my opinion. 

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 11:34:42 AM »
I'm no expert but it does seem a bit too clean and bright. The color/contrast seems off -- that part really looks like a repro to me.

A question for the experts: the perf line on the left looks odd to me as well. The way it "breaks" seems inconsistent with other Ratz I've seen.

Ok, so here's the big question for the experts: Should the perfs on Ratz always be at the same points? Seems to me the answer is yes. If so, then the perfs are definitely not in the same places as the one pictured on Greg's site. Look, for example, at the perf in the lower right of the one from Greg's site. It's completely different on this Ratz. Same with the upper right, where there are two near the corner on Greg's and only one on this. Suspicious or normal?

Edit: these two currently on eBay have perfs in the same locations as the one on Greg's site:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-Topps-Wacky-Packages-32-RATZ-CRACKERS-RARE-/280857154877?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416464153d
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-Topps-Wacky-Packages-Die-Cut-Ratz-Crackers-PSA-4-/280630395933?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4156e0041d

The more I look at the PSA 9 one the more it doesn't look right.  The colors are much lighter than a typical one you would see, and the yellow is hanging out of register quite a bit, making it look blurry.  It also doesn't look like it has enough black in the art.  Look at these side by side.........

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 11:57:43 AM »
If it could be proved to be a fake, what would that mean for PSA?

Offline Kook

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 12:17:08 PM »
The more I look at the PSA 9 one the more it doesn't look right.  The colors are much lighter than a typical one you would see, and the yellow is hanging out of register quite a bit, making it look blurry.  It also doesn't look like it has enough black in the art.  Look at these side by side.........

It does look just a bit off to me too now that you mention it. I checked the other sample against my Ratz, and the perfs match up perfectly. It's possible that the perfs are not stressed in that good condition, so they don't show up as clearly. Without a high resulution scan, it's hard to tell on the perfs that don't seem to appear.

The strange thing is that on the bottom edge, there appears to be an extra perf just about 1/2 inch in from the right corner. It's clearly not on the sample Ratz & I don't have a perf there on my Ratz either. There also appears to be an extra perf on the lower left side in the middle of the white panel. Mine has 2 perfs there, the sample has 2 perfs & the psa9 has 3. The coloring is a bit off too compared with mine.

If there's ever a card to fake, there's certainly enough money in this one to invest quite a bit to make a copy. If this proves to be fake, I think this would be VERY bad for PSA. I think they insure against the card being a fake based on their price guide, but I don't know if the amount they would stand behind will be anywhere near what this card has the potential to sell for.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 12:19:44 PM by Kook »

Offline Porkie

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 12:24:28 PM »
Rob: The color issues I see are exactly as you describe. Definitely seems odd to me.

Bill: Yep, that's one of the perf discrepancies I saw. I was wondering if there were different perf patterns depending on where the card was on the full sheet (i.e. maybe multiple variations of perfs... aiiieeee! completists, hang on to your wallet!). I would only be convinced this was a real card if someone could come up with another Ratz that had the same perf pattern, otherwise it seems mighty iffy to me...

Ok, here's a completed listing on eBay for a Ratz that does appear to have the same perf pattern. Does this mean there are multiple perf patterns for a Ratz? Seems likely?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item519f4edb39&item=350565096249&nma=true&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&rt=nc&si=VzYPNweNwM975PgvPZT4YVg%252BsKc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 12:34:08 PM by Porkie »

Offline Kook

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 12:35:05 PM »
Rob: The color issues I see are exactly as you describe. Definitely seems odd to me.

Bill: Yep, that's one of the perf discrepancies I saw. I was wondering if there were different perf patterns depending on where the card was on the full sheet (i.e. maybe multiple variations of perfs... aiiieeee! completists, hang on to your wallet!). I would only be convinced this was a real card if someone could come up with another Ratz that had the same perf pattern, otherwise it seems mighty iffy to me...

I checked the back of the psa9 closely against mine. I noticed that about 2/3 of the way up on the right side of the psa9, there's a little jog in the cut, almost like it jogs to the right as it goes up. I noticed this same type of jog on my diecut, however it is on the bottom 45 degree corner on the right hand side. It does appear that the patterns are similar, yet just offset. I would also want to see an other example of ratz to see if there may be multiple cutting patterns. It is strange that the punched ratz, mine & Greg's examples are all exactly the same & this one is off. It's also strange that if someone is making a copy, that the copy would be off in this manner.

I think I have some more Ratz pics. I'll see if I can dig them up to compare.

Offline Kook

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2012, 12:53:43 PM »
Here are 3 more Ratz auctions that just ended in the past week. Looks like all the Ratzs are coming out of the woodwork...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item519f4edb39&item=350565096249&nma=true&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&rt=nc&si=4lILs6AD97Mtgsu6WHhr91PUD9k%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item25702aec2a&item=160795651114&nma=true&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&rt=nc&si=4lILs6AD97Mtgsu6WHhr91PUD9k%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I don't have the time right now to copy all the pics & blow them up & analyze closely. It does, however, appear that all 3 of these have extra perfs my example & Greg's example don't have. 1 of them has both extra perfs, and each of the other 2 appear to have an extra on the side OR extra on the bottom.

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 01:01:35 PM »
The card on the left is missing the black plate.  There are 4 printing plates, process red, process yellow, process blue and black.  The color inks are transparent.  When the three colors overprint, you get what apperars to be a light black.  So therefore, this card (the one on the left) was only printed with 3 plates instead of 4. 

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2012, 02:32:23 PM »
Discuss....

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=129607&searchby=3&searchvalue=ratz&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=100&category=1&seo=Incredible-1967-Topps-%22Wacky-Packages%22-Die-Cut-%2332-%22Ratz-Crackers%22---PSA-MINT-9-%221-of-1!%22
I wouldn't judge the colors of the scan too much as for all we know, the scanning caused it to be too bright...however, I see what we refer to as a "pinch crease" right above the copyright on the back side.  If that is in fact a pinch crease, this is a PSA 5....
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2012, 12:35:32 AM »
Jay is right.  This is missing the black plate overprint.  Back in the 90's, at least one proof sheet panel (44 cards with die cuts) was sold without the black plate overprint.  This card was most likely cut from the proof sheet, or a similar sheet which would explain the condition.  Let's see if the Cracked Animals shows up in similar condition.  In the 60's Topps printed 264 card double sheets.  Each side contained 3 44 card sets.  Each title appeared 6 times on a double sheet and die cuts were not identical from card to card.

With the lack of the black plate, the blue die cut lines are very prominent like on many (if not all) of the 1st series Ludlows.  It would be nearly impossible, and crazy, for somebody to create a fake and complicate it with such an authentic looking blue die cut line when a copy of a normal Ratz would not reveal much, if any blue die cut line.

I have several 2nd series stickers with missing black plate overprints, along with a number of 1st series stickers with partial or lightly inked black plates that have the same brightness and appearance of this Ratz.  Now if it had #4 on back, there would be a problem.

Offline Porkie

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2012, 07:19:53 AM »
Jay is right.  This is missing the black plate overprint.  Back in the 90's, at least one proof sheet panel (44 cards with die cuts) was sold without the black plate overprint.  This card was most likely cut from the proof sheet, or a similar sheet which would explain the condition.  Let's see if the Cracked Animals shows up in similar condition.  In the 60's Topps printed 264 card double sheets.  Each side contained 3 44 card sets.  Each title appeared 6 times on a double sheet and die cuts were not identical from card to card.

With the lack of the black plate, the blue die cut lines are very prominent like on many (if not all) of the 1st series Ludlows.  It would be nearly impossible, and crazy, for somebody to create a fake and complicate it with such an authentic looking blue die cut line when a copy of a normal Ratz would not reveal much, if any blue die cut line.

I have several 2nd series stickers with missing black plate overprints, along with a number of 1st series stickers with partial or lightly inked black plates that have the same brightness and appearance of this Ratz.  Now if it had #4 on back, there would be a problem.

Makes sense. Especially with the missing overprint and the pristine condition. Thanks for the excellent info!

Offline Kook

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2012, 06:03:32 PM »

That is very interesting info. If this is from a proof sheet, and it's missing the black plate overprint, is it still considered a "full-fledged" Ratz, or would the pre-production status & non-standard printing affect its autenticity as part of the diecut release in any way?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2012, 06:26:06 PM »
That is very interesting info. If this is from a proof sheet, and it's missing the black plate overprint, is it still considered a "full-fledged" Ratz, or would the pre-production status & non-standard printing affect its autenticity as part of the diecut release in any way?

I think it's all a matter of personal priorities. If I were considering dropping 10 grand, it would bother me tremendously that
it were cut from a proof sheet. I'd much rather have a "circulated" PSA 8.

Others are focused more on the "1 of 1" PSA 9 status than on details about the actual origins of the card, and it might not
bother them as much.

If you ever have a chance, check out the book "The Card," about the highest graded T206 Honus Wagner baseball card.
This card has sold for over $2 million, and there is every likelihood that it was cut from a sheet and/or otherwise altered:

http://www.t206museum.com/page/periodical_62.html
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 06:28:56 PM by Paul_Maul »

Offline Kook

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2012, 07:46:25 PM »
I think it's all a matter of personal priorities. If I were considering dropping 10 grand, it would bother me tremendously that
it were cut from a proof sheet. I'd much rather have a "circulated" PSA 8.

Others are focused more on the "1 of 1" PSA 9 status than on details about the actual origins of the card, and it might not
bother them as much.

If you ever have a chance, check out the book "The Card," about the highest graded T206 Honus Wagner baseball card.
This card has sold for over $2 million, and there is every likelihood that it was cut from a sheet and/or otherwise altered:

http://www.t206museum.com/page/periodical_62.html

I think being cut from a production sheet that never made it to the cutter way back when is different than a pre-production sheet that's not actually from the release & missing a color plate. Is the T206 cut from a regular production sheet, or a pre-production sheet?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2012, 08:56:45 PM »
I think being cut from a production sheet that never made it to the cutter way back when is different than a pre-production sheet that's not actually from the release & missing a color plate. Is the T206 cut from a regular production sheet, or a pre-production sheet?

The Wagner was probably from a normal sheet. I understand that it makes a difference, but being handcut and then trimmed
is as much of or more of an issue than whether or not it was a proof. I can't speak for anyone but myself, but 99% of the
appeal of high grade items to me is their originality. If a sheet happens to survive by a fluke, it's a great collectible, but
having it cut into singles to me cheapens it immensely. It amounts to an attempt to misrepresent the card as an original by omission. A card handcut from a sheet is to me an oddity, whereas a high grade original card is a treasure.

Offline Porkie

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2012, 09:28:03 PM »
The Wagner was probably from a normal sheet. I understand that it makes a difference, but being handcut and then trimmed
is as much of or more of an issue than whether or not it was a proof. I can't speak for anyone but myself, but 99% of the
appeal of high grade items to me is their originality. If a sheet happens to survive by a fluke, it's a great collectible, but
having it cut into singles to me cheapens it immensely. It amounts to an attempt to misrepresent the card as an original by omission. A card handcut from a sheet is to me an oddity, whereas a high grade original card is a treasure.

I think you hit it perfectly here. If this Ratz is not from the original circulation, to me it is worth much, much less.

I didn't like the color from the get-go and even if I were able to purchase a Ratz atm I would pass and wait for another. The 1 of 1 PSA 9 is of no importance to me when the color is this poor. Seems strange to me that the rating does not take this into account.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2012, 05:34:19 AM »
I think you hit it perfectly here. If this Ratz is not from the original circulation, to me it is worth much, much less.

I didn't like the color from the get-go and even if I were able to purchase a Ratz atm I would pass and wait for another. The 1 of 1 PSA 9 is of no importance to me when the color is this poor. Seems strange to me that the rating does not take this into account.

I prefer my full color punched Ratz which was circulated and enjoyed.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2012, 08:51:46 AM »
I prefer my full color punched Ratz which was circulated and enjoyed.
I am with you on this.  Now I don't have to stare at corners, edges and such, I can just enjoy the title!  Gathering a punched diecut set was the way to go!  Also, whether this ratz discussed here is from a proof sheet is moot, it is not a PSA9, it has a pinch crease(perhaps factory created but a pinch crease none the less) on the back as I called out earlier.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2012, 09:22:56 AM »

To me a "proof" sheet or card has not been die-cut, so to me this just a Ratz that is missing most or all of the black ink.  To me this lessens the value and shouldn't be a PSA 9.  It doesn't seem strange to me that it geot a 9 though because we see PSA mess up or make strange grades all the time!  

The actual quality of the card is much more important to me than the PSA grade, and they obviously don't always go hand in hand.

I know there are collectors though who are the opposite, and chase the grades and don't really care how accurate the grade is, or if there are blemishes not recognized by PSA.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 09:24:46 AM by Dr Popper »

Offline bandaches

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2012, 08:23:23 AM »
To me a "proof" sheet or card has not been die-cut, so to me this just a Ratz that is missing most or all of the black ink.  To me this lessens the value and shouldn't be a PSA 9.  It doesn't seem strange to me that it geot a 9 though because we see PSA mess up or make strange grades all the time!  

The actual quality of the card is much more important to me than the PSA grade, and they obviously don't always go hand in hand.

I know there are collectors though who are the opposite, and chase the grades and don't really care how accurate the grade is, or if there are blemishes not recognized by PSA.

am I the only one who sees this pinch crease on the back near the bottom above the text?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2012, 08:29:24 AM »
am I the only one who sees this pinch crease on the back near the bottom above the text?

I see what you're talking about, but I honestly never heard that called a "pinch crease" or ever considered it a noteworthy defect. On the other hand, a "border crease" (a crease running from the perf area to the edge of the card" I consider very significant. The defect you're pointing out is not visible on the front and it doesn't bother me at all.

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2012, 11:27:04 AM »
I see what you're talking about, but I honestly never heard that called a "pinch crease" or ever considered it a noteworthy defect. On the other hand, a "border crease" (a crease running from the perf area to the edge of the card" I consider very significant. The defect you're pointing out is not visible on the front and it doesn't bother me at all.

It's already up to $3,750.  Still a long way to go!
Still looking for Series 17

Offline bandaches

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2012, 12:40:10 PM »
So you don't consider creases on the back that don't appear on the front as noteworthy?  Do you care about writing, gum, sugar and wax stains on tbe backs of checklists?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2012, 12:48:15 PM »
So you don't consider creases on the back that don't appear on the front as noteworthy?  Do you care about writing, gum, sugar and wax stains on tbe backs of checklists?

I just never thought of this type of defect as a crease. I've seen it on so many die cuts I just figured it was normal for them.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2012, 01:37:34 PM »

I would like to see a crease like that up close but I have the same opinion as Dave that from a quality standpoint it wouldn't concern me much at all.  It looks like a factory paper crease to me, and if so it would barely be felt with a fingernail running over it. 

I would equate it to the little mole on Cindy Crawford's face.  Yes, moles are technically a blemish are worthy of a deduction, but when I see her face I still have to give her a perfect 10.   ;D     

Offline Kook

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2012, 05:12:58 PM »
I just never thought of this type of defect as a crease. I've seen it on so many die cuts I just figured it was normal for them.

These hardly bother me at all too. They almost appear like marks from the pressure of making the actual diecut. Border creases, however, bother me a lot on the diecut & wacky ad series.

anything