Author Topic: Does anyone collect Wacky Gum?  (Read 4955 times)

Offline Kook

Does anyone collect Wacky Gum?
« on: May 16, 2012, 06:05:33 AM »
It's funny how something right under your nose can get so easily overlooked. Afterall, I collect wackys, wrappers, unopened packs. & display boxes. I never thought about collecting or cataloging the gum. I came across this page on Greg's site:

http://www.wackypacks.com/gum/

and thought that might be an interesting area to document in addition to the obvious wrappers, packs & stickers. Does anyone else collect the gum or has anyone documented gum from the various packs out there?

Offline Paul_Maul

Re: Does anyone collect Wacky Gum?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 08:23:04 AM »
It's funny how something right under your nose can get so easily overlooked. Afterall, I collect wackys, wrappers, unopened packs. & display boxes. I never thought about collecting or cataloging the gum. I came across this page on Greg's site:

http://www.wackypacks.com/gum/

and thought that might be an interesting area to document in addition to the obvious wrappers, packs & stickers. Does anyone else collect the gum or has anyone documented gum from the various packs out there?

I was doing this for awhile, but I lost interest. Unfortunately, I don't think I saved what I had, it started to seem kinda crazy as most of the gum was pretty much identical.

Offline Kook

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 08:44:51 AM »
I was doing this for awhile, but I lost interest. Unfortunately, I don't think I saved what I had, it started to seem kinda crazy as most of the gum was pretty much identical.

I would think that most would be identical, but the page on Greg's site appears to have many pieces of different size & color. I would think, if you looked at the packs & gum from them, you could probably narrow down a list of particular size/color of gum & match them with a list of packs they came from. Funny, gum does seem like the final wacky frontier as Greg mentions on the page.

I have a couple of card boxes filled with unbroken gum, but I didn't track which packs it came from.

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 09:02:02 AM »
I think it's interesting to see the different gums in one place, but I can't see pursuing this as a collection. As he says, it's the "final frontier" of collecting.

I was surprised when I opened an Irish Pack a couple of years ago that the gum appeared pristine. It was interesting to me because it was much more white than our (USA) "pink" gum. Wondered if UK gum was more white in general? I did keep this gum and put it in it's own little plastic container, so I guess I am a gum collector in some ways - lol!

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 09:20:26 AM »
I think it's interesting to see the different gums in one place, but I can't see pursuing this as a collection. As he says, it's the "final frontier" of collecting.

I was surprised when I opened an Irish Pack a couple of years ago that the gum appeared pristine. It was interesting to me because it was much more white than our (USA) "pink" gum. Wondered if UK gum was more white in general? I did keep this gum and put it in it's own little plastic container, so I guess I am a gum collector in some ways - lol!

I think everyone should have one stick of the powdered pink gum in their collection.  Beyond that I'm not so sure. 
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Kook

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 10:04:56 AM »
I think everyone should have one stick of the powdered pink gum in their collection.  Beyond that I'm not so sure. 

I suppose I would have agreed more so before seeing Greg's page. I thought (assumed & we all know what that means) that the 1st through 16th all had basically the same gum. I do remember the Irish pack had a very small piece of gum. When I saw the multiple sizes & colors, however, it made the whole concept much more interesting and makes me want to know which gum went with which series.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 12:05:06 PM »
Paul Maul what do you think of Greg's contention that a gum collection can "help determine if an unopened pack is legitimate".
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 09:46:54 AM by vfx2g »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 12:24:32 PM »
Paul Maul what do you think of Greg's contention that a gun collection can "help determine if an unopened pack is legitimate".

In theory it could. However, from what I've seen, a large number of the later series have identical gum, in practice I don't
think that would be particularly useful, especially trying to draw conclusions without opening the pack.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 03:05:13 PM »
Paul Maul what do you think of Greg's contention that a gun collection can "help determine if an unopened pack is legitimate".

I suppose using firearms to get the truth out of the seller is one way to go about it...

Offline Kook

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 05:03:34 PM »
I suppose using firearms to get the truth out of the seller is one way to go about it...

I did a double take on that too.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 11:48:44 PM »

A gun could help someone open a pack of noodles

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 01:15:00 PM »
I've never been able to figure out how to start a new subject on this forum.  Don't bother to tell me.  I won't remember it.  But anyway....in a couple of hours there'll be a live conference in Chicago with Spiegelman, Crumb, Justin Green, and numerous
  other cartoonists. 'Tis likely the subject of Wackys, which were prettty much devised by Art in the first place,  will come up.  You can see the live stream here.  http://criticalinquiry.uchicago.edu/comics_conference

Also Paul Laikin, who wrote some of the Wacky billboards, the products from which were re-painted for Wackys series 2,  passed away last weekend. Check Google News for his obits.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 08:53:43 AM »
I've never been able to figure out how to start a new subject on this forum.  Don't bother to tell me.  I won't remember it.  But anyway....in a couple of hours there'll be a live conference in Chicago with Spiegelman, Crumb, Justin Green, and numerous
  other cartoonists. 'Tis likely the subject of Wackys, which were prettty much devised by Art in the first place,  will come up.  You can see the live stream here.  http://criticalinquiry.uchicago.edu/comics_conference

Also Paul Laikin, who wrote some of the Wacky billboards, the products from which were re-painted for Wackys series 2,  passed away last weekend. Check Google News for his obits.

Jay, not much to remember. Just click on home and select the category you want and then click on 'new topic' on the top right. That's it.

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 08:10:07 AM »
In theory it could. However, from what I've seen, a large number of the later series have identical gum, in practice I don't
think that would be particularly useful, especially trying to draw conclusions without opening the pack.

Dave, I think you are correct.  I have opened quite a few series 14, 15, and 16 packs over the years and they are all very similar if not the same. 
Still looking for Series 17