Author Topic: IDEA: Wacky Postcards of the original Poster Series  (Read 5377 times)

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
IDEA: Wacky Postcards of the original Poster Series
« on: May 14, 2012, 01:39:36 PM »
Wouldn't it be cool to have a series of Wacky Postcards that had the original paintings of the vintage Poster series?

Was thinking about how neat several of these paintings are and how they are difficult to appreciate due to the age and nature of the original posters (folds, creases, size, etc.).

I would buy a set of these immediately. Or even cooler: have them come 3 to a "pack".

Yet another way to truly appreciate the artwork on these early masterpieces, and (I believe) a way to appreciate the artwork in the newer (e.g. OS, ANS) series by releasing the base set in this format.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
Re: IDEA: Wacky Postcards of the original Poster Series
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 02:47:15 PM »
Wouldn't it be cool to have a series of Wacky Postcards that had the original paintings of the vintage Poster series?

Was thinking about how neat several of these paintings are and how they are difficult to appreciate due to the age and nature of the original posters (folds, creases, size, etc.).

I would buy a set of these immediately. Or even cooler: have them come 3 to a "pack".

Yet another way to truly appreciate the artwork on these early masterpieces, and (I believe) a way to appreciate the artwork in the newer (e.g. OS, ANS) series by releasing the base set in this format.

PM SENT

Online Joe G.

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 02:48:49 PM »
Porkie, neat idea.  Since we're talking vintage stuff Topps could do why not a vintage binder.  My entire collection is in Topps binder's except for the original series and they kinda stick out.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 02:58:31 PM »

So you're talking about the exact same art as the 1973-74 vintage posters in postcard form?  That would be pretty cool.  The would need all of the original art though.

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 04:01:33 PM »
So you're talking about the exact same art as the 1973-74 vintage posters in postcard form?  That would be pretty cool.  The would need all of the original art though.

they probably have good images, as most all were already reprinted as cards in the Flashback sets

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 08:30:53 PM »
I like the idea of postcards, but I'd actually vote for some of the "best" (I realize that's very subjective) stickers from the original series.  Perhaps because I already own all the posters in a nice photo album, I have ready access in the large form.  Still, I'd probably buy them.

I really like the idea of a binder for the vintage series.  Geez, even if there was one for Flashbacks, that might be able to serve double duty.

Offline Kook

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 05:08:40 AM »
I like the idea of postcards, but I'd actually vote for some of the "best" (I realize that's very subjective) stickers from the original series.  Perhaps because I already own all the posters in a nice photo album, I have ready access in the large form.  Still, I'd probably buy them.

I really like the idea of a binder for the vintage series.  Geez, even if there was one for Flashbacks, that might be able to serve double duty.

That was my thought also - larger versions of some of the more popular (or all for that matter) original series stickers.

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 05:33:06 AM »
That was my thought also - larger versions of some of the more popular (or all for that matter) original series stickers.
The Abrams book kinda fits the whole idea here. Larger versions of all the stickers. Plus they are already in their own binder.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 10:57:37 AM »
The Abrams book kinda fits the whole idea here. Larger versions of all the stickers. Plus they are already in their own binder.
>> Plus they are already in their own binder.
 :D

As a segue, does anyone know WTF is going on with the third Abrams book? I need to complete my 1-16 run here, lol.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 12:46:03 PM »

As a segue, does anyone know WTF is going on with the third Abrams book? I need to complete my 1-16 run here, lol.

Don't laugh.......that's how Joe "Wackim" did it!
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 03:24:53 PM »
Ya...'I've got it now. I copied it!'. LOL

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 03:38:02 PM »
Funny, last night I was thinking that having Postcards of ALL the original Wackys (die-cuts through 16th) would be very cool.

I agree the books are kinda like these, but unfortunately they aren't for several reasons: (1) The landscape Wackys are not done in landscape so they are essentially shrunk; (2) No original Poster images; (3) You can't lay the book flat to truly see the original art; (4) A Postcard version (I believe) would end up being slightly larger, you could "right" the landscape ones to view/display them the way they were meant to be seen, and they have that excellent glossy, flat, extremely sharp image; (5) You could make an album of them using standard postcard inserts; (6) Topps would have an excuse to re-release the art so we Older Wacky Collectors (I refuse to call us Wackers! ;) ) could see/appreciate them better.

What prompted this idea originally was seeing Toadal up on eBay. I decided not to bid on it because it seemed a little yellowed to me and I was trying to think how to display it nicely -- without the creases, etc. -- and realized what I really wanted was a postcard size image I could put in a frame. I'd love to do this for a LOT of Wackys. I'll likely never collect all the original posters, and even if I did, I'd never be able to display them in a way that would do the original art justice.

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 04:28:26 PM »

I keep checking their site periodically, but nothing yet. the first GPK was just published, and next up in October is a really awesome looking Mars Attacks! book.
Since that set was only 55 cards, they have a ton of pages to use for information and rarely seen sketches and art.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 06:20:22 PM »
I keep checking their site periodically, but nothing yet. the first GPK was just published, and next up in October is a really awesome looking Mars Attacks! book.
Since that set was only 55 cards, they have a ton of pages to use for information and rarely seen sketches and art.

I'm kind of excited for the Mars Attacks series. I don't really collect other non sport cards and have no fond memories of the series because they were produced before I was born but I'm buying into the hype!

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 06:44:00 PM »
He was a nut. And quite pathetic, really.

Offline Kook

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 08:43:27 PM »
Funny, last night I was thinking that having Postcards of ALL the original Wackys (die-cuts through 16th) would be very cool.

I agree the books are kinda like these, but unfortunately they aren't for several reasons: (1) The landscape Wackys are not done in landscape so they are essentially shrunk; (2) No original Poster images; (3) You can't lay the book flat to truly see the original art; (4) A Postcard version (I believe) would end up being slightly larger, you could "right" the landscape ones to view/display them the way they were meant to be seen, and they have that excellent glossy, flat, extremely sharp image; (5) You could make an album of them using standard postcard inserts; (6) Topps would have an excuse to re-release the art so we Older Wacky Collectors (I refuse to call us Wackers! ;) ) could see/appreciate them better.

What prompted this idea originally was seeing Toadal up on eBay. I decided not to bid on it because it seemed a little yellowed to me and I was trying to think how to display it nicely -- without the creases, etc. -- and realized what I really wanted was a postcard size image I could put in a frame. I'd love to do this for a LOT of Wackys. I'll likely never collect all the original posters, and even if I did, I'd never be able to display them in a way that would do the original art justice.

I agree that the books are good, but separate postcard sized art would be much better. I have my posters in an art portfolio. It displays them very nicely & lays pretty flat. It's not as good as having a framed piece, but it does hold the full collection of posters pretty nicely.

anything