Author Topic: Wacky Parody PETA stickers  (Read 4284 times)

Offline Kook

Wacky Parody PETA stickers
« on: May 14, 2012, 05:36:19 PM »
I was surprised these went so cheap:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=140750638890&nma=true&rt=nc&si=7Eeqqd5MSprH1VLwjAu%252FO0yhuxU%253D&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I very rarely see these on ebay - maybe once every year or two if that. Considering Jay Lynch did the concepts & Zina Saunders the artwork, I couldn't believe they only brought $20! Does anyone know how many were made?

FYI: http://www.lostwackys.com/odd-stuff/peta-stickers.htm

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
Re: Wacky Parody PETA stickers
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 05:52:52 PM »
I was surprised these went so cheap:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=140750638890&nma=true&rt=nc&si=7Eeqqd5MSprH1VLwjAu%252FO0yhuxU%253D&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I very rarely see these on ebay - maybe once every year or two if that. Considering Jay Lynch did the concepts & Zina Saunders the artwork, I couldn't believe they only brought $20! Does anyone know how many were made?

FYI: http://www.lostwackys.com/odd-stuff/peta-stickers.htm

You might be interested in the discussion of this PETA set from this forum some months ago with a little history added by Jay himself...

http://www.wackypackagesforum.com/index.php?topic=781.0
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Kook

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 07:11:59 PM »
You might be interested in the discussion of this PETA set from this forum some months ago with a little history added by Jay himself...

http://www.wackypackagesforum.com/index.php?topic=781.0

Thanks for the redirect. Although they are a bit over the top, I still have a set in my collection because of the artists involved & the parody concept. I guess the controversy surrounding how far they push the "wacky" envelope makes them not that popular. Since Jay mentioned that they helped keep the artists in touch in non-wacky times, I think they do deserve a footnote & a place in my wacky collection.

They also appear to be pretty rare, since they don't pop up that often. Does anyone know how they were distributed, or roughly how many were printed?

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 07:45:39 PM »
Thanks for the redirect. Although they are a bit over the top, I still have a set in my collection because of the artists involved & the parody concept. I guess the controversy surrounding how far they push the "wacky" envelope makes them not that popular. Since Jay mentioned that they helped keep the artists in touch in non-wacky times, I think they do deserve a footnote & a place in my wacky collection.

They also appear to be pretty rare, since they don't pop up that often. Does anyone know how they were distributed, or roughly how many were printed?

Going back several years ago when I first saw them I emailed PETA and asked them if they could send me a set of them, and they said no problem and just needed my address.  I offered to pay for them but they said it wasn't necessary.  When I got the package there was @ 6-7 full sets of the 4 titles, so they were very helpful to say the least!  During my email exchanges I asked how many were produced and they said they didn't know, but it sounded like they had a lot of them. 

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Kook

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 05:11:16 AM »
Going back several years ago when I first saw them I emailed PETA and asked them if they could send me a set of them, and they said no problem and just needed my address.  I offered to pay for them but they said it wasn't necessary.  When I got the package there was @ 6-7 full sets of the 4 titles, so they were very helpful to say the least!  During my email exchanges I asked how many were produced and they said they didn't know, but it sounded like they had a lot of them. 

I wonder if they had them made for a particular event, or a particular method of distribution?? How did you originally find out about them in order to send an e-mail to specifically request them? Maybe they have stacks sitting in their literature room available upon request?

Offline dth1971

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 06:35:38 AM »
Are they still available from PETA?

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 08:09:36 AM »
I wonder if they had them made for a particular event, or a particular method of distribution?? How did you originally find out about them in order to send an e-mail to specifically request them? Maybe they have stacks sitting in their literature room available upon request?

It was a long time ago but I think I just saw some for sale on eBay, and I decided to give it a shot.  It was probably only a year or two after they released them so they still had boxes of them.  The link you showed for Rusty's site has the most info you'll find about them and talks about the smoking campaign they were made for.   

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 08:10:41 AM »
Are they still available from PETA?

I have no idea but send them a friendly email and maybe you'll get lucky!  It has been 10 years since they came out though.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 01:06:56 PM »
I have no idea but send them a friendly email and maybe you'll get lucky!  It has been 10 years since they came out though.

I got three of the four free at some event or place  I was at about 9 years ago but I can't even remember what it was now. My wife seems to think the Animal Shelter we got our current dog from gave them to us when with all the other paperwork. I guess that is plausable.

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 03:41:15 PM »
I was at about 9 years ago...

When I first read your reply I thought you said: "I was about 9 years old"  ;)

Yeah, these look pretty cool. I recall a thread about these months ago. If anyone does come across stacks of 'em, please post here so we can get 'em!

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 04:06:01 PM »
When I first read your reply I thought you said: "I was about 9 years old"  ;)

Yeah, these look pretty cool. I recall a thread about these months ago. If anyone does come across stacks of 'em, please post here so we can get 'em!

I have to admit to being a tried and true "Wacki-generian"... which I define as someone who was in their teens when the original series where released.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 04:13:28 PM »

If anyone needs a set of these I'll match the auction price listed in this thread so $20.00 + $2.50 postage.  This is my last set (from my keeper collection).  It doesn't really fit into what I collect. 

First PM gets it.   

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 05:17:33 PM »
If anyone needs a set of these I'll match the auction price listed in this thread so $20.00 + $2.50 postage.  This is my last set (from my keeper collection).  It doesn't really fit into what I collect. 

First PM gets it.   

My Peta set is spoken for.  Hopefully Daryl will score with PETA and get a bunch of sets!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 06:08:43 PM »
As I mentioned on the previous forum I found the sets I had still in the envelope. After looking at them again I threw them away. I didn't want my kids seeing them. They are horrible.
I think people collect Wackys because of the humor and these are not funny at all. I think having them in your collection will bring bad Karma to your whole collection. After getting rid of them my collection flourished. It could be ironic or karma  :o
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 06:17:41 PM by BumChex »

anything