Author Topic: Hoppy Meal Sketch  (Read 11868 times)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Hoppy Meal Sketch
« on: May 11, 2012, 11:31:31 PM »
HaHaHa
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WACKY-PACKAGES-POSTCARD-SERIES-4-HOPPY-MEAL-SKETCH-SMOKIN-JOE-181-200-RARE-/170840741516?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c6e6d68c#ht_500wt_922

The irony is the person that would pay a decent price for this sketch is the same person that just sold you 5 PC5 cards for half the price otherwise it would have sold for a lot more. Why are sellers so dillusional? So now we will have another sketch overpriced for the next 2 years on eBay.

Offline Kook

Re: Hoppy Meal Sketch
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 06:39:05 AM »
HaHaHa
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WACKY-PACKAGES-POSTCARD-SERIES-4-HOPPY-MEAL-SKETCH-SMOKIN-JOE-181-200-RARE-/170840741516?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c6e6d68c#ht_500wt_922

The irony is the person that would pay a decent price for this sketch is the same person that just sold you 5 PC5 cards for half the price otherwise it would have sold for a lot more. Why are sellers so dillusional? So now we will have another sketch overpriced for the next 2 years on eBay.

Funny, I noticed that sketch & thought it was easily worth the price of Leslie's entire final auction price. That is a great title & very rare. I think if they listed in the $400 BIN w/best offer range, they would get pretty close even though Leslie seems to be selling more than buying lately. She is/was definitely one of the sketch "heavy hitters", but she is certainly not the only one. With the release numbers continuing to increase with Topps on the postcard series, and as more people begin collecting them, many will want to backfill. There are so few available, so I don't think $300 to $400 is unreasonable for this sketch. Look at the series 1 sketches selling for $250 to $290...

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 09:29:41 AM »
HaHaHa

It is one of the rarer ones but that's way too high!  Just because the seller is asking that much doesn't mean it will be overpriced for 10 years though.  It depends what someone actually buys it for.  On the flipside I do believe that sellers asking prices affect the market a little, even with non-sales, but we as buyers should be firm in not being influenced by it.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 10:16:00 AM »
HaHaHa

You know one positive with the Hoppy sketch card value, is that even if it sells for only $150.00 - $175.00, it's one of the first examples of sketch cards actually going UP in value.   

Offline Kook

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 11:37:06 AM »
It is one of the rarer ones but that's way too high!  Just because the seller is asking that much doesn't mean it will be overpriced for 10 years though.  It depends what someone actually buys it for.  On the flipside I do believe that sellers asking prices affect the market a little, even with non-sales, but we as buyers should be firm in not being influenced by it.

That's a tough one. the buyer usually wants to make a deal as low as possible. The seller, as high as possible. If they are both firm, then there's no deal & no one is happy in that case. There's usually some flexibility on both ends, since both have an interest in making a deal. As more & more people start collecting postcard sets, I think the pressure to backfill & the limited supply will raise the earlier series prices up, especially for the nicer or harder to find sketches. I've always thought the sketch card revolution started with Smokin' Joe's 4th series postcard sketches, so IMO I think this is an important one and will command a much higher price. With all that being said, I think the $600 is high, but there are certainly some "wacky" collectors in this hobby, so all we can do is wait & see.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 08:39:24 PM »
That's a tough one. the buyer usually wants to make a deal as low as possible. The seller, as high as possible. If they are both firm, then there's no deal & no one is happy in that case. There's usually some flexibility on both ends, since both have an interest in making a deal. As more & more people start collecting postcard sets, I think the pressure to backfill & the limited supply will raise the earlier series prices up, especially for the nicer or harder to find sketches. I've always thought the sketch card revolution started with Smokin' Joe's 4th series postcard sketches, so IMO I think this is an important one and will command a much higher price. With all that being said, I think the $600 is high, but there are certainly some "wacky" collectors in this hobby, so all we can do is wait & see.

I bet he'll end up getting @ $200.00 for it. 

So I may have missed the story about your new avatar.  Any reason why you decided against the Taco Bill?  Kook is a cool one though.  Will you eventually try to animate it?

Offline Kook

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 06:25:22 AM »
So I may have missed the story about your new avatar.  Any reason why you decided against the Taco Bill?  Kook is a cool one though.  Will you eventually try to animate it?

No big story - although the Taco Bill is a perfect name - Kudos to Jean Nutty - I'm more an original series guy than a ANS guy. I figured I'd try Kook on for size. So far, so good. I will eventually try to animate it even though that's outside of my area to do personally.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 09:14:27 AM »
No big story - although the Taco Bill is a perfect name - Kudos to Jean Nutty - I'm more an original series guy than a ANS guy. I figured I'd try Kook on for size. So far, so good. I will eventually try to animate it even though that's outside of my area to do personally.

That would be an nice and fairly easy one to animate.  You would do the smoke going up and then the cig's falling out of it's mouth, and then if you wanted to get crazy you could have it start to cough as they fall out.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 04:50:08 PM »
That would be an nice and fairly easy one to animate.  You would do the smoke going up and then the cig's falling out of it's mouth, and then if you wanted to get crazy you could have it start to cough as they fall out.

Or you could try the realistic approach and have the penguin keeling over after a puff.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 05:33:35 PM »
Or you could try the realistic approach and have the penguin keeling over after a puff.

I was kinda thinking along a similar line where his eyes start rolling in circles and he falls over backwards. Then his ghost rises up to start the cycle over again.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Kook

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 05:26:27 AM »
I was kinda thinking along a similar line where his eyes start rolling in circles and he falls over backwards. Then his ghost rises up to start the cycle over again.

Thanks for the ideas. I'm going to collect them together & give it some thought. This should be a fun project.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 08:22:31 AM »
Thanks for the ideas. I'm going to collect them together & give it some thought. This should be a fun project.

Yeah, now you just have to figure out how to do it!  I wish that guy "Rebell-Jet" who did GIF's for some of us on Greg's forum stuck around. The problem was that he was too generous and did them for free, and probably got burnt out doing them.  The guy was great at it, but I still think it takes a ton of time to do them that well, and he probably did at least a dozen of them for members.  If he charged $25.00 a GIF he could have made a little extra cash and maybe would have hung around, but he was probably getting so many requests he couldn't keep up with them and keep his full time job.  haha     

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 12:30:21 PM »

Hoppy Meal sketch BIN now listed at $299.85

Seller mentions only 10 sketches of this title were done. How do they know that fact?

I recently saw an auction for a Plan 9 sketch (from PC4) and figured they must be truly rare, and wondered if his Wacky sketches numbered a dozen or 40 or what

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 12:37:25 PM »
Hoppy Meal sketch BIN now listed at $299.85

Seller mentions only 10 sketches of this title were done. How do they know that fact?

I recently saw an auction for a Plan 9 sketch (from PC4) and figured they must be truly rare, and wondered if his Wacky sketches numbered a dozen or 40 or what

I'm not sure there is any way to tell for certain that he did exactly 10 Hoppy Meals, but I do believe that it's very close if not exact.  I've kept track of the artists quantities wherever possible and we knew that each artist for series 4 did 40 sketches, and I show that Smokin Joe did (+/-) 25 "9 to Life's", 10 "Hoppy Meals", and 5 combos.  Usually by picking up bits and pieces from the artists and forum posts you can get a decent idea of quantities done, but it has gotten tougher with the recent series that have a dozen or so artists, and they don't all do the same amount.   

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 05:33:30 PM »
I'm not sure there is any way to tell for certain that he did exactly 10 Hoppy Meals, but I do believe that it's very close if not exact.  I've kept track of the artists quantities wherever possible and we knew that each artist for series 4 did 40 sketches, and I show that Smokin Joe did (+/-) 25 "9 to Life's", 10 "Hoppy Meals", and 5 combos.  Usually by picking up bits and pieces from the artists and forum posts you can get a decent idea of quantities done, but it has gotten tougher with the recent series that have a dozen or so artists, and they don't all do the same amount.   

That is my recollection as well.

Offline Buzzooka

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2012, 09:16:48 AM »

This would be great info to include in the "Master List"!

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2012, 11:19:16 AM »
This would be great info to include in the "Master List"!

It would, but Topps would frown upon it! 

Offline Kook

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2012, 11:56:14 AM »
It would, but Topps would frown upon it! 
Why?

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2012, 02:04:30 PM »
Why?

They don't like releasing quantities by artist.  I'm not really sure why, but they have been reluctant to release the #'s to collectors in the past.  We usually have to do a little bit of digging to figure it out, and there are some series where I only have a very ballpark idea. 

Offline Kook

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2012, 02:19:03 PM »
They don't like releasing quantities by artist.  I'm not really sure why, but they have been reluctant to release the #'s to collectors in the past.  We usually have to do a little bit of digging to figure it out, and there are some series where I only have a very ballpark idea. 

I see they have been very QT with the info, but if we can piece things together & put estimates or best guesses with the master list, I don't see how they could object. The list is right here with all the speculations & nothing is being published. If they would object to the estimates on the master list, I would figure they would also object to the postcard threads that have this speculation also.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2012, 02:24:00 PM »
I see they have been very QT with the info, but if we can piece things together & put estimates or best guesses with the master list, I don't see how they could object. The list is right here with all the speculations & nothing is being published. If they would object to the estimates on the master list, I would figure they would also object to the postcard threads that have this speculation also.

I don't think they would care at all. We are just speculating. They don't want the artists to come on here and tell everyone how many they did but we can guess all we want!

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2012, 06:40:24 PM »

We can certainly do our best to get estimates and add them in the the master lists.  Some series are really tough though because we don't have much to go by.  ANS8 comes to mind as one of the series that I don't have much of an idea of, other than just splitting the artists up evenly, but it's just a wild guess.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2012, 02:58:21 PM »
OK, so the PC4 sketch that started this thread was #181:

Here's mine (#141):

Here's the one Brad just got, #191:

Here's the one Duzn't posted in the master list thread (#006):

That's 4 so far - Let's see how many Hoppy Meal sketches we know of out of the 40 totsal Smokin' Joe sketches from this series!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 05:15:19 PM by RawGoo »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2012, 03:24:47 PM »
 I thought there was another one on ebay about a month or so ago that sold for around $200 but I couldn't find the auction.
I bet there are some images on the other forum.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 03:27:13 PM by BumChex »

Offline Buzzooka

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2012, 03:48:24 PM »

Here's mine (#141):

Here's the one Duzn't posted in the master list thread:

That's 4 so far - Let's see how many Hoppy Meal sketches we know of out of the 40 totsal Smokin' Joe sketches from this series!

I got one similar to the second one that I have never posted anywhere. Will try to remember to scan and post.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2012, 04:21:00 PM »
I thought there was another one on ebay about a month or so ago that sold for around $200 but I couldn't find the auction.
I bet there are some images on the other forum.

You're right, I found a lot of scans.  You had 2 combos in your 10 sets!!  I remember now why I didn't order more sets back then - I was convinced I'd never get a Hoppy Meal, so I just stayed with my 5 different artists.

Here are 3 more I found, for a total so far of 7.  Don't know the numbers, and couldn't find a better scan of the last one.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 05:58:45 PM by RawGoo »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2012, 05:11:01 PM »
And here are 4 combos:

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2012, 06:34:04 PM »
You're right, I found a lot of scans.  You had 2 combos in your 10 sets!!  I remember now why I didn't order more sets back then - I was convinced I'd never get a Hoppy Meal, so I just stayed with my 5 different artists.

Here are 3 more I found, for a total so far of 7.  Don't know the numbers, and couldn't find a better scan of the last one.

I, personally, had 2 combos? I know I made a trade or sale back then. I was pretty naive since this was the first series with variations and combo sketches. I'll have to look at my collection tomorrow. I highly doubt I have anything exciting though. I mean other than the sketches everyone else has.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2012, 06:38:43 PM »
I, personally, had 2 combos? I know I made a trade or sale back then. I was pretty naive since this was the first series with variations and combo sketches. I'll have to look at my collection tomorrow. I highly doubt I have anything exciting though. I mean other than the sketches everyone else has.

Yep, the first two combos I posted were your pulls, out of 10 sets you purchased.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2012, 06:23:15 AM »

Here's mine (#141):

Here's the one Duzn't posted in the master list thread (#006):

Here is my Hoppy sketch which I don't think you have yet............

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2012, 06:25:49 AM »
And here are 4 combos:

And it looks like I also have the combo that is the 2nd one down.  My records show that I told Brad the combos were duds and he sold it to me for 35 bucks.           he he

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2012, 07:14:33 AM »
And it looks like I also have the combo that is the 2nd one down.  My records show that I told Brad the combos were duds and he sold it to me for 35 bucks.           he he

I think you are right. I made some poor choices back then :]

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2012, 11:51:24 AM »
I think you are right. I made some poor choices back then :]

I was kidding though.  I wouldn't be surprised if I paid 200 bucks for it at the time. 

Offline Buzzooka

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2013, 03:20:35 PM »
Here is the one I got. Number 121.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 03:30:47 PM by Buzzooka »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2013, 03:39:10 PM »
Here is the one I got. Number 121.

Wow, that's really different.  Thanks for posting it!

Interesting how many of these Hoppy Meal sketches are numbered 1_1.

anything