Author Topic: Death To Trad Rock  (Read 2159 times)

Offline Lavirus

Death To Trad Rock
« on: April 06, 2010, 08:02:01 AM »
Ok, for the few forward thinkers on the board, I present my April 2010 compilation of tunes and artists that have stood out over the past year or so. Warning: this is not formatted like a compilation, it's just a folder of individual tracks so if you load it onto your iPod it won't come up as an album. You're better off playing it on your computer:

http://www.divshare.com/download/10985640-af8

Tracks:
Robyn Hitchcock - Goodnight Oslo
These New Puritans - Elvis
Wire - One Of Us
A-Frames - Nobot
Archie Bronson Outfit - Magnetic Warrior
Dimmer - Degrees Of Existence
Drive-By Truckers - That Man I Shot
Peter Gabriel - The Book Of Love
Lets Go Naked - Three Limbs
Don McGlashan - C2006P1
Mission Of Burma - 1, 2, 3, Party!
Nomeansno - Now
Jason Pegg - Get Out Of The Way
Joe Pernice - Chevy Van
Surf City - Records Of A Flagpole Skater
Wheat Pool - Geographic Centre Of Canada
Wild Beasts - The Devil's Crayon
Wilderness - Marginal Over
Peter Gutteridge - Don't Catch Fire
Wolfhounds - Magic Triggers

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
Re: Death To Trad Rock
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 03:03:11 PM »
Thanks, Mitch! I really enjoyed these.

My faves were:

Wire - One Of Us (Fantastic!)
Archie Bronson Outfit - Magnetic Warrior
Drive-By Truckers - That Man I Shot
A-Frames - Nobot
Nomeansno - Now
Don McGlashan - C2006P1

But it's a solid group all around. I'm certainly going to pick up the Wire album.

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 05:12:21 PM »
You're the first of my friends to actually comment, you win! Well, you win another compilation down the road...

Wire is one of my all-time favorites. Their first 3 albums are considered punk/post-punk classics: _Pink Flag_, _Chairs Missing_, _154_. Even their lesser material has great moments. Their return to an aggressive sound in the early 00s is fantastic stuff, find _Send_.

Archie Bronson Outfit is a great young band, that track is from their sophomore album just out. If you like them, check out Sons And Daughters _Repulsion Box_.

Drive-By Truckers are one of the best alt-country bands around. Fantastic, meaningful lyrics with a classic blow-your-hair-back guitar sound. Their albums are a bit inconsistent, you might want the recent live album. I cherry-picked their catalog for a custom best-of.

A-Frames - Out of San Francisco, it's like Devo meets Black Flag. Their first two albums are their best.

Nomeansno - Another band whose albums I find inconsistent but they've got a great best-of, _The People's Choice_.

Don McGlashan - He's from New Zealand, formerly in The Mutton Birds who did a FANTASTIC cover of "Don't Fear The Reaper" which played over the end-credits of Michael J Fox's underrated "The Frighteners". Another amazing lyricist who adds damn catchy music to the package.

Thanks for the feedback!

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 08:05:58 PM »
I already know you both have great taste in music LOL  :P

I just don't have anything digital to download the file, but can I just put it into my "My Music" folder and play the tracks?

Thanks for sharing, Mitch!

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 08:16:13 PM »
I just don't have anything digital to download the file, but can I just put it into my "My Music" folder and play the tracks?

Yes, that's probably the best way to handle these files. Should work no problem.

anything