Author Topic: Questions From A Newb  (Read 5005 times)

Offline Go_Bum

Questions From A Newb
« on: December 28, 2011, 06:39:36 AM »
Hi everyone. About two months ago I discovered that wacky packages existed beyond 1992, so it has been a little overwhelming trying to catch up. I’ve been lurking on this forum for a while trying to learn what I could but still have questions.
 So I’m hoping that you folks can help me out and answer any wacky related questions I may have.

The first question I have is about the “Wacky Package Vinyl Toys”. I see complete sets of these on ebay with starting bids of $30 but they’re not selling. Are these not desirable to wacky collectors? Do any of you have these sets and if so what do you think of them?

Offline crackedjerk

Re: Questions From A Newb
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 08:16:15 AM »
These sets came out a few years back.  My memory may already be fading a bit, but I think there were two sets of 12 each.  Also, at least one of the sets, if not both, came in different sizes.  I think they are a pretty cool item.  Most of the products chosen for the sets are from the ANS Wackys, though I wish there were more from the original series.  I pretty much kept the toys of the products that I liked and sold off the others.  I'm sure I didn't get much as there isn't much of a market for an incomplete set, but I was trying to save a little storage space.  I don't really recall the price of these sets, but I'm sure if you're patient on ebay you can pick up a set for a very fair price.  And I would guess you may find someone on the forum with a set to sell at a fair price.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 11:23:40 AM »
These sets came out a few years back.  My memory may already be fading a bit, but I think there were two sets of 12 each.  Also, at least one of the sets, if not both, came in different sizes.  I think they are a pretty cool item.  Most of the products chosen for the sets are from the ANS Wackys, though I wish there were more from the original series.  I pretty much kept the toys of the products that I liked and sold off the others.  I'm sure I didn't get much as there isn't much of a market for an incomplete set, but I was trying to save a little storage space.  I don't really recall the price of these sets, but I'm sure if you're patient on ebay you can pick up a set for a very fair price.  And I would guess you may find someone on the forum with a set to sell at a fair price.

I have both sets. Think I payed just about $25 per set about 6 years ago. I like them but because of the size, they are harder to display and store.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 11:31:48 AM »
I have both sets. Think I payed just about $25 per set about 6 years ago. I like them but because of the size, they are harder to display and store.

Could you create a giant mobile and hang it in a room with a vaulted ceiling?

Now that would be wacky

Offline blunderbrent

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 01:46:35 PM »
I bought both sets and in different sizes. My favorites, which I have hanging in strategic locations are the large Hawaiian Punks and Ratz crackers. These are well worth the price and are useful for hanging in areas where you bump your head.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 01:55:13 PM »
I bought both sets and in different sizes. My favorites, which I have hanging in strategic locations are the large Hawaiian Punks and Ratz crackers. These are well worth the price and are useful for hanging in areas where you bump your head.

Blunder!

Great to see you man!

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 02:16:08 PM »
Hi everyone. About two months ago I discovered that wacky packages existed beyond 1992, so it has been a little overwhelming trying to catch up. I’ve been lurking on this forum for a while trying to learn what I could but still have questions.
 So I’m hoping that you folks can help me out and answer any wacky related questions I may have.

The first question I have is about the “Wacky Package Vinyl Toys”. I see complete sets of these on ebay with starting bids of $30 but they’re not selling. Are these not desirable to wacky collectors? Do any of you have these sets and if so what do you think of them?

I have both sets, and I think in both sizes.  They're very cool!  I have a few out in my living room, but the rest are stored in boxes.  As people have already mentioned, they do take up a lot of space!  My recollection is that small sizes were about $5 apiece when they were new, with a set at about $50.  I imagine the current prices reflect the fact that the sets are a few years old, and most of us already have as many as we can store, so there isn't a lot of demand. 

Offline Go_Bum

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 05:36:29 PM »
Thanks for the responses. I could probably get each set on ebay for $50 or a little less but I'm on the fence. They look really cool but I'm not sure how to display them especially 24 of them, it seems a shame to just box them. Man, there is so much wacky stuff that I don't have. I don't know where to start.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 09:14:38 AM »
I have both sets, and I think in both sizes.  They're very cool!  I have a few out in my living room, but the rest are stored in boxes.  As people have already mentioned, they do take up a lot of space!  My recollection is that small sizes were about $5 apiece when they were new, with a set at about $50.  I imagine the current prices reflect the fact that the sets are a few years old, and most of us already have as many as we can store, so there isn't a lot of demand. 

Maybe if I had more extra space in my house I would collect things like this but I don't, so I stick with the flat cards.  It would be cool to have a dedicated room to display all of the 3-D Wacky items though.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Go_Bum

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 07:26:01 PM »
I recently bought a 2nd series set of the 2005 vending stickers and think they’re really great but I must be the only person currently on ebay that’s interested. I’ve seen 3 sets up for auction in the last 30 days and no one has bid but me. I got my set for $10.49 shipped and when the seller listed another I got those as well. He also listed a 3rd but nobody bid. The only other set on ebay at this time was an autographed set that was going for $60 or $70.

So what do you guys think of the 2005 vending stickers? Did I pay too much, is that why there is no interest? It seems odd because there are always people new to the hobby like me bidding and over bidding on anything wacky.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 09:48:03 AM »
I recently bought a 2nd series set of the 2005 vending stickers and think they’re really great but I must be the only person currently on ebay that’s interested. I’ve seen 3 sets up for auction in the last 30 days and no one has bid but me. I got my set for $10.49 shipped and when the seller listed another I got those as well. He also listed a 3rd but nobody bid. The only other set on ebay at this time was an autographed set that was going for $60 or $70.

So what do you guys think of the 2005 vending stickers? Did I pay too much, is that why there is no interest? It seems odd because there are always people new to the hobby like me bidding and over bidding on anything wacky.

I haven't followed the prices on these, but I think they're a great set and you'll enjoy having them.  I wish Topps would make more and include more of the original series stickers.

Offline Go_Bum

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 05:49:35 PM »
I need some advice. I just received 26 packs of 1985 wackys which I bought from England on ebay. The problem is that the auction was for the 1988 series so I have the option of sending them back or keeping them and getting a partial refund. I’m waiting to hear back from the seller to find out how much the partial refund would be or if I have to pay the return postage out of my own pocket.
 It would probably be less of a hassle to keep them and get the partial refund but there is one issue, the packs have a musty smell. Would the cards still be alright inside or are they a write off? The packs look to be in nice condition but I have no experience with this kind of thing.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 05:57:09 PM »
I need some advice. I just received 26 packs of 1985 wackys which I bought from England on ebay. The problem is that the auction was for the 1988 series so I have the option of sending them back or keeping them and getting a partial refund. I’m waiting to hear back from the seller to find out how much the partial refund would be or if I have to pay the return postage out of my own pocket.
 It would probably be less of a hassle to keep them and get the partial refund but there is one issue, the packs have a musty smell. Would the cards still be alright inside or are they a write off? The packs look to be in nice condition but I have no experience with this kind of thing.

How much did you pay? I'm not sure about the value of the 1988 packs. Those are OPC. Did you think you were getting the 1985 packs or Irish packs?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 06:00:36 PM by BumChex »

Offline Go_Bum

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 06:26:32 PM »
They were supposed to be the 1988 OPC reissue, but apparently it was a listing mistake. I paid $37, I thought I scored a really great deal because there is only one seller on ebay selling packs for $5.95 per pack. Any advice on the musty pack issue?

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 06:43:04 PM »
They were supposed to be the 1988 OPC reissue, but apparently it was a listing mistake. I paid $37, I thought I scored a really great deal because there is only one seller on ebay selling packs for $5.95 per pack. Any advice on the musty pack issue?
Musty packs can often be a sign of water exposure.  Be careful of using other active ebay auctions as a price guide.  Refer to completed auctions and look to see if there are many completed auctions at $5.95 per pack.  I bet there are not.  1985 and 1988 OPC packs should NOT sell for that much.  Weren't there boxes of 1985 for barely over $100 recently?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Go_Bum

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 07:08:43 PM »
Thanks for the advice on pricing I'm still getting the hang of this hobby. As for the 85 boxes they seem to  sell anywhere between $50-$100+, some sellers are asking near $170. Do you have experience with musty wax packs? The packs look good on the outside, could there be staining on the cards?

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 08:25:41 PM »
Thanks for the advice on pricing I'm still getting the hang of this hobby. As for the 85 boxes they seem to  sell anywhere between $50-$100+, some sellers are asking near $170. Do you have experience with musty wax packs? The packs look good on the outside, could there be staining on the cards?
knowing both 1985 and 1988 product is so common, why take any chances with musty packs?  It is not like these are the only packs you will ever be offered.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 09:34:32 PM »
I'm not as much of an expert as many on these forums, but my experience with musty-smelling Wackys (especially packs) has always been bad.

If it were me, I'd go for the refund and imo the seller should pay for return shipping since it is their mistake.

My two cents.

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2012, 12:21:09 AM »
About half of the stuffed toy Wackys fit into the clear plastic boxes made to store Beanie Babies.  The rest of 'em I just have in cardboard boxes, waiting until I see a taller sized doll storage clear plastic box for sale cheap.    I have them piled on top of each other in the Meanie Babies boxes against a wall in the hallway between my office and files room.