Author Topic: EBay Auctions  (Read 6046 times)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
EBay Auctions
« on: April 26, 2012, 10:35:35 PM »
I know this has been hashed many times but why do I feel there are quite a few eBay respectable sellers that sell crap with high BIN or high starting bids? I feel these are uneducated sellers and try to prey on new collectors. I think it's pretty sad. I feel like the Indian from the '70's that cries when he sees pollution. There is so many wacky auctions filled with pollution that I feel bad for the uneducated collector. I understand the tactics behind some sales but I don't understand the mentality behind these selling decisions. As an example, I see sellers starting their sketch auctions around $300 and when they don't sell they list them at $25 auction style. Then I see another seller trying to sell for $300 for 30 days and when it doesn't sell they will try selling it again for the same price. I see the same lame auctions for a dozen Lynch OLDS2 sketches with a $300 tag when I ended up selling all my doubles for less than $5 each. I see the same sketches for ANS8 and OLDS2 trying to get $300-$400 each, why? I see sellers trying to sell obviously easy stuff asking more than twice what it's worth just beating their heads against the wall. They keep doing it and I'm sure they can't understand why they aren't selling. It just blows me away.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
Re: EBay Auctions
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 05:52:35 AM »
It's not all rational, but then again, neither is the market.

I recently saw something listed for $99, a salesman binder filled with ad slicks (for various things like Zippo lighters).   At $99 it didn't get a single bid.  Re-listed at $19.99, and it ended up selling for $260.    So the $300 BIN to $25 auction-style is not as illogical as it may seem.

I also know folks who have made their living on being dealers, and I've heard them refer to "eBay prices" for things...  So, what they do is wait  until eBay offers completely free listings with no insertion fees, and they have a set-up to easily get all of those things listed.   They don't mind so much that it takes a year or more to find a buyer, and they rarely drop their prices (in spite of them being ludicrously high sometimes).  But they make their money, so... at least thus far, it has worked for them.

So while it may look pretty insane, I do think there can be a method to the madness (though a lot of it might just be plain-old-crazy). 

As for me - I don't sell too much, but when I'm looking to sell, I list optimistically at first and then drop my price to re-list, and maybe one more time to re-list again if the first price drop didn't work - if it doesn't sell at the second re-list, I typically have already dropped the price as much as I'm willing, and toss it back in a storage box (likely to be found or tossed in the trash by my descendants).   
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Kook

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 06:20:44 AM »
I know this has been hashed many times but why do I feel there are quite a few eBay respectable sellers that sell crap with high BIN or high starting bids? I feel these are uneducated sellers and try to prey on new collectors. I think it's pretty sad. I feel like the Indian from the '70's that cries when he sees pollution. There is so many wacky auctions filled with pollution that I feel bad for the uneducated collector. I understand the tactics behind some sales but I don't understand the mentality behind these selling decisions. As an example, I see sellers starting their sketch auctions around $300 and when they don't sell they list them at $25 auction style. Then I see another seller trying to sell for $300 for 30 days and when it doesn't sell they will try selling it again for the same price. I see the same lame auctions for a dozen Lynch OLDS2 sketches with a $300 tag when I ended up selling all my doubles for less than $5 each. I see the same sketches for ANS8 and OLDS2 trying to get $300-$400 each, why? I see sellers trying to sell obviously easy stuff asking more than twice what it's worth just beating their heads against the wall. They keep doing it and I'm sure they can't understand why they aren't selling. It just blows me away.

I think there are a few reasons for these auctions
1. I've spoken with some people who list things in the stratosphere with the intention that it will generate off ebay offers once they are contacted directly. It's a way of putting the item up for sale without paying ebay a final value fee. If someone is crazy enough to buy it at the listing price, the fee will be chump change.

2. Some people are delusional or have wishful thinking. Self explanatory.

3. Others haven't changed as fast as the market. As a seller, you're going to be slower to lower your prices. As a buyer, you'll be quicker to pay less. The sketch card market is very fickle. When people are building their sets, they will pay crazy prices to get the sketch or artist they are looking for. Once the series is "closed" and all the musical chairs are filled, the leftovers are a tough sell unless they are truly something unique. Everyone who seriously collects is on to the next series.
     I found out the hard way about this. I had a bunch of olds2 keepers that I thought were really nice. I decided to sell them and keep just a few and purchase some nice original series items that became available. A few of the sketches brought in ok money, but most which would have sold between $100 to $200 EASILY during the olds2 series time period weren't getting a yawn on ebay. I ended up selling most at 66% to 75% discount from my original ask. Had I not wanted to raise the cash, I might have left the prices where they were or just pulled them.

4. Some people simply are hoping an uneducated or desperate buyer comes along and buys a sketch for waaaay more than they should. While there may or may not be many auctions that are listed with this intent, I think it is truly the rare exception when someone overpays for the sketches. If you look at completed auctions, you'll be lucky to find a sketch that sold & is way over priced. There are just too many of them out there that are dirt cheap.

With the sketch market getting flooded lately with sketches from olds & the postcard series, I think the "wacky" sketch card auction is here to stay. I believe the prices, however, will continue to decline for most, if not all sketches.

Offline Kook

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 06:25:46 AM »
It's not all rational, but then again, neither is the market.

I recently saw something listed for $99, a salesman binder filled with ad slicks (for various things like Zippo lighters).   At $99 it didn't get a single bid.  Re-listed at $19.99, and it ended up selling for $260.    So the $300 BIN to $25 auction-style is not as illogical as it may seem.

I agree with this. Someone won't spent the $300 unless they think someone else is willing to do it. It's either the rationalization that "at least I could resell it and get my money back because someone else thinks it's valuable..." or possibly the "he ain't gettin' it, I'M GOING TO GET IT!!" mindset that an auction generates.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 07:38:28 AM »
It just drives me crazy because I keep seeing the same auctions over and over again. I think some sellers have had the same auction for over a year and it hasn't sold.

Offline Kook

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 07:55:47 AM »
It just drives me crazy because I keep seeing the same auctions over and over again. I think some sellers have had the same auction for over a year and it hasn't sold.

I agree it's annoying to see the same auctions over & over. I hate paging through 100s of ANS $.99 single auctions. It would be great if ebay could offer some wacky categories - vintage (pre-2004) modern (2004+) sketches & mixed lots. I guess in an ideal world... But there would always be the guy who found a ratz or cracked animals misclassified in a baseball category or something for $20. I guess I'll be stuck wading through all the sketches & ANS stuff with the trusty wack* pack* across all categories just to be safe :D
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 07:58:52 AM by billf »

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 07:59:26 AM »
I agree it's annoying to see the same auctions over & over. I hate paging through 100s of ANS $.99 single auctions. It would be great if ebay could offer some wacky categories - vintage (pre-2004) modern (2004+) sketches & mixed lots. I guess in an ideal world... But there would always be the guy who found a ratz or cracked animals misclassified in a baseball category or something for $20. I guess I'll be stuck wading through all the sketches & ANS stuff with the trusty wack* pack* across all categories just to be safe :D
WHACKED PACK
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 08:21:15 AM »

I think they might score one here or there with uneducated buyers who overpay, but in the long run the sellers that do this end up losing more than they will gain in my opinion.  The mistake they make is that by asking such a high price and being so rigid for several months, they completely miss the "hot" period after a release.  Once they miss the hot period the odds of selling it, even at a reduced price goes way down.

If a seller is asking 5x what I feel the value is for something I won't even bother making an offer because I feel like it would be insulting to the seller.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 09:02:38 AM »

You can do custom searches and then save the search. Here is one I use and it could still use some tweaking:
wack* pack* -(ans*, flashback, 1985, 1980, 1979, 1986, bandz, proof, sonic, "all new", all-new, 2005, 1991, foil, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2004, 2010, "old school")
When you save the search you can then add sellers you don't want listed such as adam-12 and such that sell ANS stuff individually.
I search for art and eliminate probstien and it narrows my search down pretty well to get to the good stuff.
remember the conditions are on the left side so if you want to eliminate a seller click on the left side under sellers and put as many as you want and then add it to your saved search.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 09:09:31 AM by BumChex »

Offline Kook

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 09:27:52 AM »
You can do custom searches and then save the search. Here is one I use and it could still use some tweaking:
wack* pack* -(ans*, flashback, 1985, 1980, 1979, 1986, bandz, proof, sonic, "all new", all-new, 2005, 1991, foil, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2004, 2010, "old school")
When you save the search you can then add sellers you don't want listed such as adam-12 and such that sell ANS stuff individually.
I search for art and eliminate probstien and it narrows my search down pretty well to get to the good stuff.
remember the conditions are on the left side so if you want to eliminate a seller click on the left side under sellers and put as many as you want and then add it to your saved search.

My search typically nets about 8000 to 9000 items. (wack* pack* across all categories). I can definitely see eliminating some sellers like probstein or the guys who list ans items individually to knock 1 to 2 thousand items off the search. I'd be cautious about limiting too much more unless you are searching fro something very specific. I'd hate to miss a listing like this: "Selling wacky collection - prized Ratz diecut through ANS stuff CHEAP!" if you have -ans, you'd never see it. I just saw this one this morning in ended listings:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item2a1c733647&item=180865939015&nma=true&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&rt=nc&si=4lILs6AD97Mtgsu6WHhr91PUD9k%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

totally missed it. I don't know how many sets, or if they were complete or not, but the listing includes "some thumbed foney ad sets" among other things. Nice price for all that stuff! I like picking through misc lots for gems, so I'd attempt to limit my search a bit, but not that much.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 09:29:26 AM by billf »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 10:27:00 AM »
My search typically nets about 8000 to 9000 items. (wack* pack* across all categories). I can definitely see eliminating some sellers like probstein or the guys who list ans items individually to knock 1 to 2 thousand items off the search. I'd be cautious about limiting too much more unless you are searching fro something very specific. I'd hate to miss a listing like this: "Selling wacky collection - prized Ratz diecut through ANS stuff CHEAP!" if you have -ans, you'd never see it. I just saw this one this morning in ended listings:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item2a1c733647&item=180865939015&nma=true&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&rt=nc&si=4lILs6AD97Mtgsu6WHhr91PUD9k%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

totally missed it. I don't know how many sets, or if they were complete or not, but the listing includes "some thumbed foney ad sets" among other things. Nice price for all that stuff! I like picking through misc lots for gems, so I'd attempt to limit my search a bit, but not that much.

Wow, I've been looking at sketches and art and rarely look at regular auctions. It's hard to say what is all in that auction because the 70's stuff could all be reruns. It sure would be fun to go through all that and discover some special stuff. Went fairly cheap but since he didn't list it out that is what he gets.

Offline Kook

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 10:55:50 AM »
Wow, I've been looking at sketches and art and rarely look at regular auctions. It's hard to say what is all in that auction because the 70's stuff could all be reruns. It sure would be fun to go through all that and discover some special stuff. Went fairly cheap but since he didn't list it out that is what he gets.

Had I seen it earlier, I would have asked a few questions to determine if it was worth bidding. It certainly looks like it could be. Auctions like that do come along regularly, but not that frequently. I'd rather cast a wider net & throw a few back than miss it altogether. Many people prefer to purchase just what they are looking for, so a narrower search is definitely better in some cases. Do you still sift through &/or upgrade the original series stuff or are you strictly into the new releases?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 12:28:33 PM »
Had I seen it earlier, I would have asked a few questions to determine if it was worth bidding. It certainly looks like it could be. Auctions like that do come along regularly, but not that frequently. I'd rather cast a wider net & throw a few back than miss it altogether. Many people prefer to purchase just what they are looking for, so a narrower search is definitely better in some cases. Do you still sift through &/or upgrade the original series stuff or are you strictly into the new releases?

I've upgraded all of my original series stuff other than track marks. I'm pretty happy with my 1-16 run so I haven't been actively looking at older stuff. It's just been art and sketches for probably a year now. I was buying lots a few years ago to assemble sets for resale but I hated sorting them and not getting much for the series 3-10 sets. I still have a ton of inventory from probably series 2-8 that I haven't looked at in a couple years. I probably have 5-6 sets of each.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 12:52:37 PM »

I thought there was a limit to how many items you can delete by using the "-" feature?  I guess not if you are actually set up to eliminate 20 of them!
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 01:16:21 PM »
I thought there was a limit to how many items you can delete by using the "-" feature?  I guess not if you are actually set up to eliminate 20 of them!

There used to be a character limit (80 I think) on the search text but it seems larger these days than about a year ago. I know I used to hit the limit occasionally and haven't for awhile. I am still looking for some obscure parody items and have some massive saved searches now to try and and weed out all the junk that matches. Some time ago, there was a limit of 20 or 25 searches but I have over 90 these days. eBay should do a better job of advertising when they make positive changes like this, IMO.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Kook

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 06:01:48 AM »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2012, 06:48:38 AM »

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 08:20:31 AM »
Sutton would rubber-stamp the back of the art with his name and address.  But yeah.  Fishbone is painted by Sutton.

anything