Author Topic: Old School Sketch variations  (Read 18398 times)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Old School Sketch variations
« on: April 05, 2010, 06:08:58 PM »
I noticed a few variations when reviewing all of my sketches. I don't know how rare one will be over the other but it's something to review. We already noticed the Batz with and without the vest. Now take a look at these.
1. Look at the mustache highlight and noticed this one doesn't have the lightning bolt
2. The Dums guy is standing more to the side. All that I have seen show his buttons down the middle of the card and this one is to the right.
3. Notice the nose on the Ajerx guy. Most don't have anything but this one has a line down the middle.
4. Look at pupsi's glass. Most have two lines in the glass but this one doesn't. I have 2 like this and 4 that have the lines.

Offline Paul_Maul

Re: Old School Sketch variations
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 07:43:11 PM »
Far be it from me to denigrate anyone's area of interest, but isn't it kind of ridiculous to try to identify "variations" on sketches that are all individually done? If Jay sneezes and a pupsi gets an extra line, is that
somehow significant?

Every pupsi (for example) is by definition different. Isn't the rest just a matter of degree?

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 08:02:26 PM »
Far be it from me to denigrate anyone's area of interest, but isn't it kind of ridiculous to try to identify "variations" on sketches that are all individually done? If Jay sneezes and a pupsi gets an extra line, is that
somehow significant?

Every pupsi (for example) is by definition different. Isn't the rest just a matter of degree?
I agree with Dave and would expect these are like snowflakes and it is impossible for any two to be EXACTLY alike.  I have reported on other threads that Ajerx and Gadzooka Hag have a major variety in the number of lines drawn on the faces.  Koduck has different birds in the background mainly described as "two small birds" or "one big black bird and a small one".
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 08:09:50 PM »
Yeah that's what makes them special. Every one is different. No way could Jay make them exactly the same even if he tried. Especially when doing hundreds of them.

There are more differences than you realize in those examples you posted. For instance with the Dums guy, the hat has 2 vs. 3 stripes, their ears have a different inner squiggle, one chin is more chubby, 5 vs. 7 eyelid stripes, one Adam's apple higher than the other, etc.  ;D

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 09:27:23 PM »
somehow significant?

I know what tou guys are saying but these are real differences compared to several others of the same sketch. I have about 6 of each of these cards and even looked on bay and they are all basically the same except for these special traits I pointed out. I am not saying they are rarer but  different. I know there will be lines and such that will be different such as the crack in the hungry jerk plate but these are somethings that stands out. Look at the cards on ebay and compare. There is another ajar on eBay with the nose line but others don't.

Offline quas

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 06:26:21 AM »
Here's a question - which are the sketches that are (at least to date) the LEAST likely to have "variations"?  To me the winners are Aquax, Capn Crud, Quacker Oats, and the Cheddarfield Rat.  And even Demented. All of these look basically the same to me.  Others' thoughts?
Marc

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 09:34:17 AM »
Here's a question - which are the sketches that are (at least to date) the LEAST likely to have "variations"?  To me the winners are Aquax, Capn Crud, Quacker Oats, and the Cheddarfield Rat.  And even Demented. All of these look basically the same to me.  Others' thoughts?
I have two Demented sketches at the moment, one has 7 teeth, and the other has 8.  I don't know why I notice things like that.......

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 06:01:57 PM »
I agree with Dave and would expect these are like snowflakes and it is impossible for any two to be EXACTLY alike.  I have reported on other threads that Ajerx and Gadzooka Hag have a major variety in the number of lines drawn on the faces.  Koduck has different birds in the background mainly described as "two small birds" or "one big black bird and a small one".

With the Gadzooka you actually have 2 different characters (old lady/kid w/gum) so that to me is a variation of the same title.  I don't pay much attention to the little nuances of the same character. 
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 06:25:03 PM »
With the Gadzooka you actually have 2 different characters (old lady/kid w/gum) so that to me is a variation of the same title.  I don't pay much attention to the little nuances of the same character. 
People sure noticed the difference in the Batz sketch. That is obviously a bit of a big difference but a variation non the less. This is just an observation and not meant that these would more rare then the other. People love to study variations.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 08:21:10 PM »
People sure noticed the difference in the Batz sketch. That is obviously a bit of a big difference but a variation non the less. This is just an observation and not meant that these would more rare then the other. People love to study variations.
Can you post the Batz variations?  I have only seen many copies of the Batz with Vest as shown on the WOW website, can't find the other version anywhere.

thanks
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 02:15:53 PM »
Can you post the Batz variations?  I have only seen many copies of the Batz with Vest as shown on the WOW website, can't find the other version anywhere.

thanks
I only have the one with the vest and that was posted on here already. Does anyone have the non-vest Batz they can post?
Here is the link to the picture:

http://www.wackypackagesforum.com/index.php?topic=11.msg4304#msg4304

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 02:28:59 PM »
I only have the one with the vest and that was posted on here already. Does anyone have the non-vest Batz they can post?

This is the Batz with no vest that was on ebay:

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 02:32:25 PM »
This is the Batz with no vest that was on ebay:

Do you remember what it sold for?

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 02:41:16 PM »
Do you remember what it sold for?
$150 BIN.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 02:59:44 PM »
$150 BIN.
That was a good deal! We also haven't seen any umbrella girls for awhile. Those have to be very rare.

Offline Playskull

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2010, 04:26:13 PM »
That was a good deal! We also haven't seen any umbrella girls for awhile. Those have to be very rare.
Yep, that was the Batz I pulled/sold on eBay.  I definitely set the BIN too low at $150.  Another forum member had pulled/sold one even cheaper than I did maybe a week or so earlier.  In our defense, that was just before we had a better picture of just how scarce certain titles were.  All I knew was that it was a tougher one.  I didn't know it was quite as tough as it ended up being (although more are starting to surface now).  For all we knew then, it could have ended up being like the Gadzooka Teacher or Demented (i.e., less common, but not *too* scarce).  Then, I would have been the one who benefited from the $150 price.  Ya win some, ya lose some.  With Old School 2, I'll wait longer for the dust to settle before trading/selling sketches.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 05:09:14 PM by Playskull »

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2010, 05:04:50 PM »
Yep, that was the Batz I pulled/sold on eBay.  I definitely set the BIN too low at $150.  Another forum member snagged it.  That was just before we had a clear picture of just how scarce certain titles were.  All I knew was that it was a tougher one.  I didn't know it was quite as tough as it ended up being (although more are starting to surface now).  For all we knew then, it could have ended up being like the Gadzooka Teacher or Demented.  Then, I would have been the one who benefited from the $150 price.  Ya win some, ya lose some.  With Old School 2, I'll wait longer for the dust to settle before trading/selling sketches.
Yep, they're popping up now, so your $150 might work out for you in the end.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2010, 05:35:12 PM »
Yep, they're popping up now, so your $150 might work out for you in the end.
I don't think that 3 surfacing make it look like they are popping up. Keep in mind Topps only has about 500 boxes left. We are starting to see what the tough ones really are. The dust will be settled soon. I think the cow and umbrella girl are the real tough ones. I don't think there is a dr. Ono or a paste em boy B&W. Dr. Popper could be another real tough pull.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010, 05:37:02 PM »

I am all set now, thanks!  Let me know if there are other found sketches that I don't have scans on my tally here.

Offline Playskull

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2010, 05:52:16 PM »
I don't think that 3 surfacing make it look like they are popping up.
Well, you pulled 2 in the past couple days, Pat pulled one recently, quas (Marc) reported pulling one within the past week, and I could have sworn I heard about yet another one recently (although I could be wrong). In any case, 4 or 5 Batz guys in recent weeks does seem like a lot when you consider the dry spell we went through with this title.   Mine had been the only one on eBay until your recent two.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2010, 05:58:31 PM »
Well, you pulled 2 in the past couple days, Pat pulled one recently, quas (Marc) reported pulling one within the past week, and I could have sworn I heard about yet another one recently (although I could be wrong). In any case, 4 or 5 Batz guys in recent weeks does seem like a lot when you consider the dry spell we went through with this title.   Mine had been the only one on eBay until your recent two.
I am staying with my theory that similar sketches are together in batches of boxes.....We are now cracking into the Batz batch.....for all we know the last 100 boxes will have Dr Onos.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2010, 05:59:39 PM »
I think I have gotten really lucky lately. I know of 2 other collectors that opened about 32 boxes today and didn't get anything. So far a lot of luck has been on my side. Out of 150 boxes I have not pulled an umbrella or cow but have pulled 5 colors and about 5 one- offs. I have pulled 3 batz and 3 chef girls in the last 50 boxes. We will soon see.

Offline Playskull

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2010, 06:37:35 PM »
I am staying with my theory that similar sketches are together in batches of boxes.....We are now cracking into the Batz batch.....for all we know the last 100 boxes will have Dr Onos.
You could be right.  By the way, here is a better picture of the Batz I pulled & sold.  I still had the scan saved to my computer.

Offline Playskull

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2010, 06:45:34 PM »
I think I have gotten really lucky lately. I know of 2 other collectors that opened about 32 boxes today and didn't get anything. So far a lot of luck has been on my side. Out of 150 boxes I have not pulled an umbrella or cow but have pulled 5 colors and about 5 one- offs. I have pulled 3 batz and 3 chef girls in the last 50 boxes. We will soon see.
Has a b&w cow sketch turned up at all yet?  I thought very early on somebody reported pulling one (maybe it was posted on the other forum).  I just can't remember now.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2010, 07:09:49 PM »
Has a b&w cow sketch turned up at all yet?  I thought very early on somebody reported pulling one (maybe it was posted on the other forum).  I just can't remember now.
Wasn't one sold on ebay initially? I may be wrong but I know one has shown up and it's on the poster

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2010, 06:40:00 AM »
Wasn't one sold on ebay initially? I may be wrong but I know one has shown up and it's on the poster

I bought one (Bubble Yuk/cow) from Scary Lee very early on, but I think there has been 3 of them so far.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2010, 06:46:58 AM »
I bought one (Bubble Yuk/cow) from Scary Lee very early on, but I think there has been 3 of them so far.
Could you post a scan?  I don't remember seeing that one.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2010, 07:02:42 AM »
Could you post a scan?  I don't remember seeing that one.

Here you go………….

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2010, 07:18:32 AM »
Here you go………….
That is the only one I have seen.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2010, 07:27:13 AM »
That is the only one I have seen.

Really?  I thought John posted it before I bought it but maybe not.  He's probably kicking himself for selling it so cheap but in the first week or so you have no idea how rare they are!  I'll make it up to him at some point though because I do feel a little guilty.  I think it was like $50.00 or so!

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2010, 07:31:25 AM »
Here you go………….
Thanks Rob!  Seems like you have an incredibly scarce one there, take good care of it!  My Batz sketch is in my binder right now, but if it holds up as a pretty rare one, I might have to consider moving it to a toploader or snap-tite.  Unfortunately, it will be much harder to enjoy that way.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 07:43:11 AM by RawGoo »

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2010, 07:35:08 AM »
Thanks Rob!  Seems like you have an incredibly scarce one there, take good care of it!  My Batz sketch is in my binder right now, but if it holds up as a pretty rare one, I might have to consider moving it to a toploader or snap-tite.  Unfortunately, it wil be much harder to enjoy that way.

I know, I battled that same issue with my expensive cards.  I ended up putting them all in screwdowns and they do look cool that way, but it was also nice to have them all in binder books so you could flip through them.  I do have my Old School sketches in sleeves still though, but if I got a colored one I would definitely put it in a case!

Offline Playskull

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2010, 05:50:25 PM »
Yep, that was the Batz I pulled/sold on eBay.  I definitely set the BIN too low at $150.

Funny, I wrote this just the other day & now I see that Brad's Batz sketch sold for $129 today.  What is up with these sketches?  Talk about wild fluctuations in prices.  Somebody pays $400 for one a week or so ago, now the same one goes for $129?  Will Batz eventually level off at $100 or less?  Its amazing what happens to prices when 3 or 5 people finally "get theirs."
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 07:39:43 PM by Playskull »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2010, 09:24:24 PM »
Funny, I wrote this just the other day & now I see that Brad's Batz sketch sold for $129 today.  What is up with these sketches?  Talk about wild fluctuations in prices.  Somebody pays $400 for one a week or so ago, now the same one goes for $129?  Will Batz eventually level off at $100 or less?  Its amazing what happens to prices when 3 or 5 people finally "get theirs."

This was a tough day overall for sketch sales. The chef girl sold for $80, my 17 card lot sold for $228. But I was able to buy the dr. Popper for $80. So to me the batz for the dr popper was a wash. It's like we traded. I think the dr. Is in shorter supply. It's like wall street today and commodities were low ;)

Offline bandaches

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2010, 05:35:14 AM »
This was a tough day overall for sketch sales. The chef girl sold for $80, my 17 card lot sold for $228. But I was able to buy the dr. Popper for $80. So to me the batz for the dr popper was a wash. It's like we traded. I think the dr. Is in shorter supply. It's like wall street today and commodities were low ;)
I don't think it was an off day, I think these are leveling off to where they belong after the "hyper gotta have it now" folks are done bidding stuff up similar to what happened with Flashback gold.  I panicked and bought a demented for $85 as I thought that might end up short supply and high demand being it was the only non-repeat diecut title but I learned my lesson, no more chasing these.