Author Topic: WPCSI - OS9 JerkyFruits w/no die-cut  (Read 10344 times)

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
WPCSI - OS9 JerkyFruits w/no die-cut
« on: April 02, 2012, 11:04:20 AM »
In this episode of WPCSI...  8)

I decided to start a separate thread from the "Are these people NUTS???" thread where I bought an odd-looking OS9 JerkyFruits (for $1.89) to see what the heck was up with it after several of us noticed some oddities. The original auction link is here. If the auction link is gone, the basic description was:

"This is an original Topps Chewing Gum Inc. card from the 1970's. It has some yellowing on it's edges and the back is tan in color. I'm no expert on these but I would say it is in good condition. I'm the original owner of these and they have been stored for almost 40 years.

Note; Check out picture and you can see this one has a rough cut edge on the bottom but does not cut into the sticker part of the card."

Here is a dedicated link to the picture, and below is an expando of the picture:

[expando]http://orderofhpak.com/images/Wackys/PorkiesOddities_OS9_UncutJerkyFruits.JPG[/expando]

I got the card a few days ago. It was packed really nicely. For $0.50 postage I was impressed -- I have received Wackys I paid much more for in postage that were not packed this nicely (so I let them know).

This card is indeed mysterious. There is NO die-cut on the card (as we suspected from the picture). It is a tan back and is cut a little odd along the top. I say odd because the top shows it as being O/C but the left side looks well centered. So I measured it and it is 3.6" wide at the top and 3.5" wide at the bottom, thus it is shaped slightly like \   / -- I have a Slaytex that is cut really odd that reminds me of this. It's almost like the cutting blades were dull or something.

The marks along the edges almost look like they are part of the original paper. I went and looked at the picture on Greg's site and the lines remind me of the left side of that picture, although these are really straight and on both sides. Not sure where the title appeared on the uncut sheet but I'm sure someone here could enlighten us. The bottom rip is just enough to remove the copyright.

The extremely faint blue "bleeding" from the black border (along the edges) is apparent, just like with the one on Greg's site. The only difference I can see is the small gap between the red color of the box top is shifted so on this card the gap is to the right where the card on Greg's site this is to the left and is less apparent. I'm thinking the gap is the alignment of the colors in printing and the larger gap here is also contributing to the slightly more blurry overall appearance of this card.

Lastly, the gloss on the card seems "different". I have yet to compare it to my other JerkyFruits but if I didn't know better I would think this card came from a roll.

I've contacted the seller to confirm there was nothing odd about this card to start with, but forgot to ask how it got ripped. When (if?) I hear back from him I will fill you in.

Any comments/questions are welcome as this is indeed a slightly odd card. Well worth the $1.89 imo!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Re: WPCSI - OS9 JerkyFruits w/no die-cut
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 12:41:01 PM »
Does it peel like a sticker? Weren't all the old sheets all die-cut? The only sheets I have are the reprints.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 01:56:23 PM »
Any comments/questions are welcome as this is indeed a slightly odd card. Well worth the $1.89 imo!

So, the mystery deepens. I would also have to wonder if it is a sticker too, peelable? Maybe Paul Maul will know something about this.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 02:21:13 PM »
I decided to start a separate thread from the "Are these people NUTS???" thread where I bought an odd-looking OS9 JerkyFruits (for $1.89) to see what the heck was up with it after several of us noticed some oddities. The original auction link is here. If the auction link is gone, the basic description was:

"This is an original Topps Chewing Gum Inc. card from the 1970's. It has some yellowing on it's edges and the back is tan in color. I'm no expert on these but I would say it is in good condition. I'm the original owner of these and they have been stored for almost 40 years.

Note; Check out picture and you can see this one has a rough cut edge on the bottom but does not cut into the sticker part of the card."

Here is a dedicated link to the picture, and below is an expando of the picture:

[expando]http://orderofhpak.com/images/Wackys/PorkiesOddities_OS9_UncutJerkyFruits.JPG[/expando]

I got the card a few days ago. It was packed really nicely. For $0.50 postage I was impressed -- I have received Wackys I paid much more for in postage that were not packed this nicely (so I let them know).

This card is indeed mysterious. There is NO die-cut on the card (as we suspected from the picture). It is a tan back and is cut a little odd along the top. I say odd because the top shows it as being O/C but the left side looks well centered. So I measured it and it is 3.6" wide at the top and 3.5" wide at the bottom, thus it is shaped slightly like \   / -- I have a Slaytex that is cut really odd that reminds me of this. It's almost like the cutting blades were dull or something.

The marks along the edges almost look like they are part of the original paper. I went and looked at the picture on Greg's site and the lines remind me of the left side of that picture, although these are really straight and on both sides. Not sure where the title appeared on the uncut sheet but I'm sure someone here could enlighten us. The bottom rip is just enough to remove the copyright.

The extremely faint blue "bleeding" from the black border (along the edges) is apparent, just like with the one on Greg's site. The only difference I can see is the small gap between the red color of the box top is shifted so on this card the gap is to the right where the card on Greg's site this is to the left and is less apparent. I'm thinking the gap is the alignment of the colors in printing and the larger gap here is also contributing to the slightly more blurry overall appearance of this card.

Lastly, the gloss on the card seems "different". I have yet to compare it to my other JerkyFruits but if I didn't know better I would think this card came from a roll.

I've contacted the seller to confirm there was nothing odd about this card to start with, but forgot to ask how it got ripped. When (if?) I hear back from him I will fill you in.

When I expand the pic it strikes me as looking like a home computer job that someone cut poorly.  It doesn't have the typical dot pattern you see in offset printing.  Can you show a scan of the back?

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 04:11:12 PM »
This card is indeed mysterious. There is NO die-cut on the card (as we suspected from the picture). It is a tan back and is cut a little odd along the top. I say odd because the top shows it as being O/C but the left side looks well centered. So I measured it and it is 3.6" wide at the top and 3.5" wide at the bottom, thus it is shaped slightly like \   /

now that we know the card is wider than it should be, it seems like the faint lines on the left and right could be the faint lines of the edges of an original card that got scanned.
but if it was scanned from a real sticker, then the lines of the die cuts should be visible too - and they aren't
bizarre that this is on tan back sticker stock.

Offline Porkie

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 07:20:12 PM »
now that we know the card is wider than it should be, it seems like the faint lines on the left and right could be the faint lines of the edges of an original card that got scanned.
but if it was scanned from a real sticker, then the lines of the die cuts should be visible too - and they aren't
bizarre that this is on tan back sticker stock.

I pulled out a regular JerkyFruits from my collection and it is not perfectly rectangular either! It's almost 0.1" "taller" on the right side (I included a picture below), so I don't think this is terribly uncommon.

I have a SlayTex I was dealing with just the other day that has to be the weirdest cut Wacky I have ever seen. It has one-and-a-half copyrights on it, plus part of the card above it, plus some of those printing marks (looks like a series of - marks), but the later two are only in the upper left corner -- it's basically shaped like the upper-left of the card was stretched wider and taller. I was dealing with it because it will not fit into a standard card holder box, not even close. These "curved" cuts look like they were done wish scissors, but my wife and I are theorizing it's due to "dull blades" or other printer errors. Here it is for kicks (and note it is 3.6" tall!):

[expando]http://orderofhpak.com/images/Wackys/Porkies_SlayTex_ErrorCard_WackyCut.jpg[/expando]

Now back to JerkyFruits. The more I look at this card the more it looks genuine to me. It is definitely 40+ years old. I'm dying to hear back from the seller now to confirm some of its history, but in the meantime, here are a few more snapshots as requested...

Peeling the back off (had to use an Exacto knife to get it started):

[expando]http://orderofhpak.com/images/Wackys/Porkies_JerkyFruitErrorCard_Peeling.jpg[/expando]

Looking at the tan back with the card peeled a bit so you can see it. I noticed this sticker had definitely never been separated from the backing - it was extremely clean and once pressed back together was just as hard to get apart!

[expando]http://orderofhpak.com/images/Wackys/Porkies_JerkyFruitErrorCard_BackSlightlyPeeled.jpg[/expando]

Pulled out a non-error JerkyFruits from my collection. Was surprised to see two things: (1) The bottom also exhibited the "curved cut" such that the card is slightly taller on the right than the left; (2) The non-error card has the same "gap" pattern in the color vs. black printing I noticed on Greg's picture:

[expando]http://orderofhpak.com/images/Wackys/Porkies_JerkyFruitErrorCard_NonError.jpg[/expando]

Here is the card next to the non-error card. I tried to get the light to reflect off the error card so we could see the no-die-cut. The black outline of the lettering in JerkyFruits is slightly thicker when compared side-by-side -- and maybe it's just my imagination, but it seems like the black everywhere is slightly blacker/thicker (when I go back and forth looking at the spare tire, the outline of the lettering, and the right black borders of the cards):

[expando]http://orderofhpak.com/images/Wackys/Porkies_JerkyFruitErrorCard_NextToNonError.jpg[/expando]

Lastly, a back comparison. The error card is slightly darker, and I actually had to double-check to be sure there wasn't a WonderBread/etc. JerkyFruits when I saw those little stain marks:

[expando]http://orderofhpak.com/images/Wackys/Porkies_JerkyFruitErrorCard_BackComparison.jpg[/expando]

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 07:28:46 PM »
Jerky Fruits is all the way on the right edge of the uncut sheet. This may be the reason why so many of them have the "curved cut" you described. The majority of them seem to have it, and I have examined almost 10 of them in the last month.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 07:35:21 PM »
I'm starting to think that it was a 'sophisticated for it's time' copy. Yes, a copy attempt of the Jerkyfruit card that took place maybe in the late 70's early 80's? That would explain the larger black and no die cut. It would also explain the strength of the stickiness when you said you restuck the card. Every old card that I ever peeled never restuck with great adhesion. Maybe someone was experimenting and trying to get away with counterfit Wacky's? Does the card seem to appear not as sharp as the known orginal Jerky?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 07:36:52 PM by Playbug »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 11:55:20 AM »
The only one on ebay right now is cut in the same curved way on the bottom edge:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-Topps-Original-Wacky-Packages-9th-Series-Jerky-Fruits-Candy-tan-back-/400274946779?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d323efadb

This problem really is common with Jerky Fruits, it's a tough title to find in primo condition as a result.

Offline Porkie

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 12:45:46 PM »
Anyone have an EX- or VG JerkyFruits they'd be willing to sacrifice for some additional testing? I would peel it back and compare the paper, sticker, etc. to further our investigation. PM me if interested.

Does someone have a picture of the 9th series uncut sheet? I'm just curious where exactly this sticker can be (I'm thinking this one might have been in the far corner as well as on the edge).

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 12:49:22 PM »
This is a picture of the A side, but the B side would in fact have Jerky Fruits in the lower right corner:

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 03:54:45 PM »
So I wonder what kind of effect this curved cut has on the "Paper Wate" stickers?
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Kook

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 06:11:25 PM »
So I wonder what kind of effect this curved cut has on the "Paper Wate" stickers?

I have witnessed this kind of cut on many pigpen oil stickers too, though not as much as on the jerky fruit. I can find pigpens that aren't cut like this, but I have yet to come across a jerky fruit that isn't cut like this to some extent.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 08:14:03 AM »
I have witnessed this kind of cut on many pigpen oil stickers too, though not as much as on the jerky fruit. I can find pigpens that aren't cut like this, but I have yet to come across a jerky fruit that isn't cut like this to some extent.

Brute 88 suffers from it as well, as does Rolaches. It's troubling because it's the kind of thing unscrupulous sellers like to try to "correct."

Offline Porkie

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 12:22:42 PM »
First one I found on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wacky-Packages-Brute-88-4th-Fourth-Series-4-Tan-Back-/310393415433?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4844e3a709

Interesting. You can see a little blue "-" mark in the upper-right that you shouldn't see if it was cut correctly. I'll have to dig out my Brute 88, but I believe it is cut properly. Love the green lid on that Wacky.

Odd thing in the seller's picture of the back: what is that white piece sticking out at the top? a card/something underneath? weird. Also was amused by: "I do not ship to Italy - I'm sorry but I have had too many lost packages to Italy."

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2012, 02:34:31 PM »
Also was amused by: "I do not ship to Italy - I'm sorry but I have had too many lost packages to Italy."
Italy has incredibly tight customs laws and inspections. I've heard many horror tales of sending/receiving parcels to/from there.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2012, 03:33:03 PM »
"I do not ship to Italy - I'm sorry but I have had too many lost packages to Italy."

Italian dictators have gained a reputation for their fine skills in intercepting international parcels

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 10:33:13 AM »
Italian dictators have gained a reputation for their fine skills in intercepting international parcels

(Image removed from quote.)

Wow, no soup for you.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2012, 08:32:37 AM »
Brute 88 suffers from it as well, as does Rolaches. 

In case you were wondering, PSA does not seem to be bothered by this defect:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-Topps-Wacky-Packages-Rolaches-PSA-8-/310393079349?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4844de8635

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2012, 02:16:09 AM »
I have a SlayTex I was dealing with just the other day that has to be the weirdest cut Wacky I have ever seen. It has one-and-a-half copyrights on it, plus part of the card above it, plus some of those printing marks (looks like a series of - marks), but the later two are only in the upper left corner -- it's basically shaped like the upper-left of the card was stretched wider and taller. I was dealing with it because it will not fit into a standard card holder box, not even close. These "curved" cuts look like they were done wish scissors, but my wife and I are theorizing it's due to "dull blades" or other printer errors. Here it is for kicks (and note it is 3.6" tall!):

[expando]http://orderofhpak.com/images/Wackys/Porkies_SlayTex_ErrorCard_WackyCut.jpg[/expando]

I've had a Slaytex like that one for 30 plus years and have always wondered what the marks were for - I have 2 others  -
are all of these cards edge cards?

Alex

Offline Kook

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2012, 06:34:48 AM »
I've had a Slaytex like that one for 30 plus years and have always wondered what the marks were for - I have 2 others  -

Alex

Yes, these are miscuts that include production related markings located on the edges of the full sheets. Shot wheels is a sticker that commonly has these markings as well as the ones you have.

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2012, 01:15:06 PM »

Alex

This is a reprint sheet, but same idea. You can see the marks running down the left side.
http://wackypacks.com/sheets/1st_rerun.html

anything