Author Topic: OLDS3 Boxes for Sale  (Read 8529 times)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
OLDS3 Boxes for Sale
« on: March 30, 2012, 09:29:03 AM »
I just listed a couple OLDS3 boxes auctions with unopened packs and no sketch for a very cheap price:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330710256854?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230769850810?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

If you want to order direct from me please PM me. Maybe you would like a different QTY. I have way too many boxes...LOL

Offline Paul_Maul

Re: OLDS3 Boxes for Sale
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 03:06:28 PM »
I just listed a couple OLDS3 boxes auctions with unopened packs and no sketch for a very cheap price:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330710256854?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230769850810?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

If you want to order direct from me please PM me. Maybe you would like a different QTY. I have way too many boxes...LOL

So based on this asking price, what's a master set worth now? 25 bucks? I thought maybe with the back variations all the non sketch material wouldn't end up total swill this time, but I guess with sketches it's still inevitable.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 04:32:58 PM »
So based on this asking price, what's a master set worth now? 25 bucks? I thought maybe with the back variations all the non sketch material wouldn't end up total swill this time, but I guess with sketches it's still inevitable.

The difference is I'm not sorting cards. I have about 96 boxes I have to move.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 05:31:21 PM »
The difference is I'm not sorting cards. I have about 96 boxes I have to move.

Sorting Olds 3 is time consuming, especially with all of the variations.  It's still ends up selling cheap though, just not as cheap as the prior series.  I guess you could say it's semi-swill if price is one's definition of swill.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 05:34:23 PM »
Original series 5 complete set in Ex+ barely sells for $30 these days too, is that swill?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 05:41:35 PM »
Original series 5 complete set in Ex+ barely sells for $30 these days too, is that swill?

Good point.

As Brad pointed out too, those are unsorted packs. Putting together a master set is definitely labor-intensive! I'm very pleased to have put together mine (with the help of many of you) - I really enjoyed doing so - but I wouldn't want to do it more than once.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 06:06:54 PM »

I think you misunderstand my definition of swill, though we've had this discussion before. It has nothing to do with the quality of the series, which in this case is very good. It just means it's not worth the time and money of anyone not interested in sketches to buy boxes and tear packs. To put together a master set I'd probably have to buy 3-4 boxes for $200, whereas I can pick it up now for a tiny fraction of that.

Comparing it to a 5th series set is meaningless, because that era is over and done with. My point is no one who doesn't want the sketches should even consider buying unopened product anymore unless they can't live without the joy of pack ripping. It's economically silly.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 09:52:45 PM »
It really is a shame since most recognize that series and even though it's 30+ years old you can only get table scraps for it.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 10:07:22 PM »
I think you misunderstand my definition of swill, though we've had this discussion before. It has nothing to do with the quality of the series, which in this case is very good. It just means it's not worth the time and money of anyone not interested in sketches to buy boxes and tear packs. To put together a master set I'd probably have to buy 3-4 boxes for $200, whereas I can pick it up now for a tiny fraction of that.

Comparing it to a 5th series set is meaningless, because that era is over and done with. My point is no one who doesn't want the sketches should even consider buying unopened product anymore unless they can't live without the joy of pack ripping. It's economically silly.

I'm not sure it's totally irrevelent.  To me the term "swill" represents something of little value, and has nothing to do with the quality of the series or art.  As an example the flashbacks have original base sets that are printed with better quality than the 70's, but because you can pick up a base set for 5 bucks it's considered swill.  If series 5 falls into that same situation, although not quite as cheap, why wouldn't it be considered swill as well?  Many consider the reissues swill but the set prices are similar to series 5 originals.

Offline Go_Bum

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 09:28:53 AM »

I made the mistake of buying 2 boxes of olds 3(minus sketch) for about $65. I didn’t make a complete set of either backing and now I see master sets selling for half of what I paid.  I should have waited until the dust settled and picked up a master set for cheap but I wanted the pleasure of tearing packs. I won’t make that mistake again.

I should have waited for this auction. :o

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WACKY-PACKAGES-OLD-SCHOOL-3-COMPLETE-COLLECTION-OF-CARDS-WEEKEND-ONLY-SPECIAL-/140733385789?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20c45d0c3d#ht_674wt_137

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 09:33:45 AM »

I made the mistake of buying 2 boxes of olds 3(minus sketch) for about $65. I didn’t make a complete set of either backing and now I see master sets selling for half of what I paid.  I should have waited until the dust settled and picked up a master set for cheap but I wanted the pleasure of tearing packs. I won’t make that mistake again.

I should have waited for this auction. :o

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WACKY-PACKAGES-OLD-SCHOOL-3-COMPLETE-COLLECTION-OF-CARDS-WEEKEND-ONLY-SPECIAL-/140733385789?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20c45d0c3d#ht_674wt_137

I just bought a set from her just to have back-ups for trades.  Can't go wrong with her wholesale prices, but she sells stuff too cheap.

Offline Kook

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 12:46:24 PM »
I just bought a set from her just to have back-ups for trades.  Can't go wrong with her wholesale prices, but she sells stuff too cheap.

She probably has hundreds of boxes of extras, so lowering a few dollars makes sure she can sell it all vs all the other people with stacked up boxes of extras in the wake of the sketches. The puzzler is that it's all nice & sorted. That takes a lot of time if you are just burning through your extras. She must really like to rip open packs & thumb through all the stickers & build sets since the prices she gets for sorted material isn't all that different from what it would be to sell unopened boxes of packs.

I guess this is the same thing as buying a couple of boxes for $65 mentioned earlier in the thread to get the pack opening experience. It may be more gratifying than just getting a set delivered. It's too bad that the experience couldn't get any closer to the original with that stale gum & the wax sealed packs.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 01:57:05 PM »
She probably has hundreds of boxes of extras, so lowering a few dollars makes sure she can sell it all vs all the other people with stacked up boxes of extras in the wake of the sketches. The puzzler is that it's all nice & sorted. That takes a lot of time if you are just burning through your extras. She must really like to rip open packs & thumb through all the stickers & build sets since the prices she gets for sorted material isn't all that different from what it would be to sell unopened boxes of packs.

I guess this is the same thing as buying a couple of boxes for $65 mentioned earlier in the thread to get the pack opening experience. It may be more gratifying than just getting a set delivered. It's too bad that the experience couldn't get any closer to the original with that stale gum & the wax sealed packs.

On some of her auctions they are so cheap after the ebay and paypal fees there's not much leftover, and it doesn't seem like it's worth all the work involved.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 03:10:57 PM »
On some of her auctions they are so cheap after the ebay and paypal fees there's not much leftover, and it doesn't seem like it's worth all the work involved.

I enjoy building sets out of extras, but it takes me a long time to sell them.  Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever run out of Flashbacks!  I still have some Old School 1 & 2 boxes to build into sets, and a lot of ANS7 to build; sorted 2 boxes of those last weekend and got 5 sets.  After all the Old School 3's I built recently, it was strange having numbered cards again.  Anyway, I'm certainly not making any money, but it's relaxing, and I like to think I'm helping a lot of people to enjoy Wackys, while getting the extras out of my house.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 04:15:52 PM »

I am not sure how you drew the conclusion I equated swill to quality.  Also, I don't see boxes selling for $50 each anywhere sans sketches, are they even fetching $20?  We have always used swill to refer to commonness and low priced items, series 5 original is exactly that.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2012, 08:22:59 PM »
I am not sure how you drew the conclusion I equated swill to quality.  Also, I don't see boxes selling for $50 each anywhere sans sketches, are they even fetching $20?  We have always used swill to refer to commonness and low priced items, series 5 original is exactly that.

I was talking about whether or not people would buy real boxes, not sketch-stripped leavings.

As it has been for awhile, my point in calling it swill is to underscore the fact that as long as sketches drive certain people to purchase hundreds of boxes, the other material will be worthless, and so many who would have participated in buying the release in a conventional way will feel economically obliged to simply pick it all up cheaply. I enjoyed buying boxes for the first few ANS sets (even though I wasn't in love with the actual stickers most of the time) because it was at least vaguely similar to the old days. I went to Target and Walmart and looked for packs and boxes. It was kind of fun sometimes.

As soon as golds and sketches came into the picture, that was it. Everything else was dirt cheap and doing things the old fashioned way was pointless. Kind of ironic that "Old School" (as attractive as the sets have been) have had a hand in killing the old school feel.

And if 5th series sets are swill now, it's because they were in extreme demand 40 years ago, and less so now. They weren't produced to be swill.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 07:35:49 AM by Paul_Maul »

Offline bandaches

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2012, 07:17:37 AM »
I was talking about whether or not people would buy real boxes, not sketch-stripped leavings.

As soon as golds and sketches came into the picture, that was it. Everything else was dirt cheap and doing things the old fashioned way was pointless. Kind of ironic that "Old School" (as attractive as the sets have been) have had a hand in killing the old school feel.

I am not sure why you are equating buying patterns to swill.  If all 5000 boxes of a release were sold into market resulting in far more sets than collectors, then the set prices will drop, plain and simple.  This was true of ANS1 til today.  I don't understand why you feel ANS1 sets aren't also swill.  Series 5 set prices are low because supply far exceeds demand, no different than any new release where the same supply and demand equation exists.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 09:57:41 AM by bandaches »

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2012, 09:48:05 AM »
Series 5 set prices are low because demand far exceeds supply
I assume you did a Willy Wonka here and meant it the other way, lol.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2012, 09:57:54 AM »
I assume you did a Willy Wonka here and meant it the other way, lol.
Oops, fixed it!

anything