Author Topic: Show your 1991 Series Love!  (Read 4824 times)

Offline Deaf Geoff

• Pop Culture Junkie
Show your 1991 Series Love!
« on: March 23, 2012, 12:33:47 AM »
Okay, I know the 1991 series isn't universally loved, but a few titles have been reprinted.

It was my introduction to Wackys and I sincerely love it. Sure most of the jokes are dated, but some are just great.

I have to say, one of my favorites, and what in my opinion should be a classic Wacky is Carnivore Snakes. It is such an obvious gag which never feels forced, and the art is just clean.

I know many of you were fans as kids, but this was the set I collected, and I love it. Warts and all. It made one WFFL, so.....mission accomplished.

And I do love all of the Classic Wacks too. Hipton comes immediately to mind as a great piece all around.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 03:06:13 AM by Deaf Geoff »
Interested in Mars Attacks sketches. PM me with pics and prices!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Re: Show your 1991 Series Love!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 07:07:19 AM »
I never collected the 1991 series when it was available. I didn't know about it until I got back into the hobby in 2004. After buying all the original series and getting caught up I then purchased the 1991 and 1985 series. Even though I never collected the 1985 series when it was released I instantly fell in love with it. When I received the 1991 series I was really put off. I thought overall it was bad and didn't like the look of them. The 1985 series seemed close to the original series as far as art and gags but the 1991 series was so different. I don't really know how to explain it. It looks like a homemade edition. The art just looks stale. Yes there are a couple decent titles but the overall body of work leaves a lot to be desired. That's probably why it was the end of the run until 2004?

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 07:09:45 AM »
I never collected the 1991 series when it was available. I didn't know about it until I got back into the hobby in 2004. After buying all the original series and getting caught up I then purchased the 1991 and 1985 series. Even though I never collected the 1985 series when it was released I instantly fell in love with it. When I received the 1991 series I was really put off. I thought overall it was bad and didn't like the look of them. The 1985 series seemed close to the original series as far as art and gags but the 1991 series was so different. I don't really know how to explain it. It looks like a homemade edition. The art just looks stale. Yes there are a couple decent titles but the overall body of work leaves a lot to be desired. That's probably why it was the end of the run until 2004?
Topps decided to go with the Desert Storm set and put wacky packages on hold
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline Deaf Geoff

• Pop Culture Junkie
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 10:17:21 AM »
Exatly. The series performed very well, so well that a 1992 set was planned, but shelved while they cranked out those desert storm cards that clog up every card and antique store.

Are the gags stale?

Some are, but how many classic Wacks are winners? They were getting their feet wet. I don't think the gags are any worse than some of the lamer ANS stickers, but I do agree that the 1985 series was a stronger selection overall.

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 11:42:48 AM »
My '91 story is nearly identical to Brad's, except I didn't get back into the hobby until 2009 (and then reverse-collected everything).

To me most of the '91's are like the ANS art/gags that I don't particularly care for. More of a Shrek-like, gross-out humor (lots of vomit and snot) as opposed to the more subtle humor of a majority of the vintage Wackys. Again there are always good/bad from all.

Here are my fave '91's:

* Char Boy
* Mentals
* VLAD (2nd favorite '91)
* Yuppie Chow (like the gag, not that fond of the art)
* PREZ
* Extraterrestrial Seize-'ems (definitely my favorite '91)
* Newpork
* Dr. Sushi
* Rat in the Cat
* Mummorex
* Drunken Donuts

Offline mping82

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 11:54:40 AM »
This set was also my indroduction to Wacky Packs. I collected it as a kid, and love it too.

Offline View Monster

• Sights For Sore-Eyes
  • ___ a.k.a. wackyfan ___
    • Non-Sport trading cardz
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 12:04:40 PM »
I have these 91's available to trade:

3,7,9,10,14,18,20x2,28,39,41,42x2,44x2,46x2,47,50,53

I need these back variations:

5-completed puzzle,12-coupon, 36-tattoo checklist, 37-puzzle piece

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 12:51:34 PM »
                                                 ANY INTEREST IN COMPLETE SETS IF I WERE TO CRACK OPEN THE 48 PACKS I HAVE                              LM
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline Porkie

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 01:15:08 PM »
P.S.  I have a chunk of extra '91's that I'm won't have access to for a few weeks. When I get to them I will post the extras here.

Offline Deaf Geoff

• Pop Culture Junkie
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 03:54:02 PM »
I own a complete 91 set courtesy of bandaches. So I am out of the market.

I agree that the snot and vomit humor was excessive, even though we still call it Donkey Nose Pizza when we order it.

Offline Go_Bum

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 04:37:40 PM »
I collected the 1992 O Pee Chee set which is the Topps 1991 set minus 7 titles. The '91 series is decent and there are handful of good titles. The art work isn't at the same caliber as previous series, I guess that's the main issue most people have with the 1991 set.
  It was this set that got me back into the hobby last october. A friend of mine started collecting hockey cards and I told him that I would search for my old ones to sell him. In the same box was a binder with the 92 set so after looking them over I googled "wacky packages" and was shocked that topps had been cranking out new series for the last 8 years.

Offline Deaf Geoff

• Pop Culture Junkie
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 04:52:20 PM »
Well, I got back into it because I had bought up all of the GPK packs I could find in my area, and so started buying up ANS8. After I pulled my first sketch, I figured "If I'm gonna get serious I am gonna do it right" and sought the set that got me into Wackies in the first place.

Now I seek Wacky Ads, the rest of ANS3 and 8 I need, the 85 set.....and then I will begin looking for the originals.

Somewhere I will try to find OS 1 and 2, the flashbacks, and the other ANS sets.

Offline dth1971

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 05:14:54 PM »
The best 1991 in my opinion? Barfield, it's a Garfield (comic strip cat) spoof.

Offline Deaf Geoff

• Pop Culture Junkie
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 05:25:03 PM »
Not my favorite, but then, I never cared for the product it was based upon.

Offline Go_Bum

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 06:36:28 PM »
Well, I got back into it because I had bought up all of the GPK packs I could find in my area, and so started buying up ANS8. After I pulled my first sketch, I figured "If I'm gonna get serious I am gonna do it right" and sought the set that got me into Wackies in the first place.

Now I seek Wacky Ads, the rest of ANS3 and 8 I need, the 85 set.....and then I will begin looking for the originals.

Somewhere I will try to find OS 1 and 2, the flashbacks, and the other ANS sets.

The 1985 set is awesome, what are you waiting for. :great: That set was my introduction to wacky packages, then I collected the late 80's O Pee Chee reissues which were almost identical to the '79/80 reissues.

Do you shop on ebay? You can easily find those sets that you are looking for between $5-$10 for the base sets. OS 2 is the cheapest of all, you should be able to find the base set + puzzle for less than $5.

Offline Deaf Geoff

• Pop Culture Junkie
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2012, 12:28:38 AM »
Lack of money.

All in good time.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2012, 11:32:53 AM »

If you are looking for cheap sets of OS1 and 2 and FB1 and 2, I'm sure someone on the forum could sell you those cheaply.  I'd be happy to do so if no one else does.

And I agree with you about Carnivore Snakes.  I always thought that belonged in the original series as far as quality goes.  I was happy to pick up the original art a few years back for what I thought was a steal. 

Offline landoquakes

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2012, 09:24:49 PM »
This is an interesting thread, years ago we wondered if the '91 collectors would show up someday and here they are! I was very excited to see the '91's in Les's Superette. My girlfriend rolleed her eyes when I bought 4 packs. Yes, I was disappointed that they weren't like the '79's, but I did like some of them and they kinda grew on me. Hidden Valley Stench had great art, Vlad had a good gag and in all it wasn't a bad reboot.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2012, 05:03:37 AM »
This is an interesting thread, years ago we wondered if the '91 collectors would show up someday and here they are! I was very excited to see the '91's in Les's Superette. My girlfriend rolleed her eyes when I bought 4 packs. Yes, I was disappointed that they weren't like the '79's, but I did like some of them and they kinda grew on me. Hidden Valley Stench had great art, Vlad had a good gag and in all it wasn't a bad reboot.

I found the 1991's at a convenience store while on a ski trip.  My boyfriend and I had more fun eating Spaghettios and opening Wackys than we did skiing!

Offline Porkie

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2012, 09:37:46 AM »
I found the 1991's at a convenience store while on a ski trip.  My boyfriend and I had more fun eating Spaghettios and opening Wackys than we did skiing!

lol! Excellent!  :great:

I saw a couple of base '91 sets (no Barf's and no extra checklist cards, etc.) on eBay with starting bids as low as $3, so they are definitely out there if you search a bit. I didn't get a chance to post the links here, so just search if you are wanting a set.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2012, 05:48:08 PM »

I came across these for the first time when I was at a sports card collector show around '91 or '92.  Though it would still be five or six years before I got back into Wacky collecting, I was happy to pick up a set for $5 or $10.  Didn't love them, and I wasn't into Wackys at the time, but I do recall thinking a few were pretty good (and still do).  Who knows, maybe that did help me get back into Wackys in '97 when I plunged back into the scene by picking up original series 4-8 from an ad in The Wrapper.

Offline barfwimpson

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2012, 05:15:08 PM »
I was born in 1971, so I caught the tail end of the original Wackys as a little kid, mostly in the examples I saw stuck in various places around the house, school, and town by the slightly older kids. I'm pretty sure I bought some packs of 1979 reprint series, being old enough by then to purchase cards, but I never collected them, really. I missed the 1985 set altogether.

Then, around 1992, I saw several boxes of the 1991 series for sale, cheap, at the local Pic'N'Save (now Big Lots). I bought 4 or 5 boxes I think, for either $6 or $8 each, I can't quite remember. I enjoyed the series (and the gum was still good!), even sticking a few of my favorite stickers here and there. They compared favorably to my memories of the originals, although I see that is not the consensus among Wacky collectors on this forum. My own favorites from the set were Barf Wimpson (by "Fatt Gaining"), Tragedy Ann (very dark humor), Flea Wee's Flop House (I know you are, but who was I?), Prez, Scumby, and Saneball, which I found hilarious, having purchased a few "Madballs" when those came out.

Anyhow, I sorted my sets and put them all away for a few years. By the time Ebay came around about 5 years later, I noticed certain stickers were more poplular than others from certain sets, and from the 1991 set, it was Barf's Rot Beer which had been withdrawn and replaced with Tattoo Skins. Not being sure which version I had, I checked my hoard from 5 years earlier and discovered they were are the Barf's Rot Beer variations (including the 3 checklists). I first put aside a master set for myself (which I still have, nearly 20 years since I bought them), and then sold off the extras for literally 10 times what I'd paid for all the cards combined, so I have especially fond feeling for the 1991 set.

I've collected some of the All New Series. I'm really glad new ones are being made, and I especially like the Old School sets which I've collected all of so far, including some nice sketches. I likely would've checked out these newer sets even if I hadn't lucked out with the 1991 series and been left with such a good feeling from it the way I did, but having done so is just one more reason why Wackys are high on my list of all-time favorite non-sports cards.

This is a great forum, and I give my thanks to the creators/moderators of it. I've been reading posts from time to time for the past year, but moreso lately in anticipation of the release of Old School 3. When I saw this topic, I finally had to register so I could chip in. There are some great contributors here and lots of excellent information to be had. And that such luminaries as Jay Lynch and David Gross check in from time to time makes it even better. Good stuff here!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 10:20:19 PM by barfwimpson »