Author Topic: Original Series OPC Wrapper Variation  (Read 5003 times)

Offline Paul_Maul

Original Series OPC Wrapper Variation
« on: April 16, 2012, 10:34:41 AM »
Just stumbled upon this in one of Matt Stock's auctions. Apparently there are two different versions of the original series red OPC wrapper. One contains the line "Printed in USA" and the other does not (see below). This is huge because it may be that there's a correlation between the wrapper version and which series it was used for. The only OPC original series unopened packs that have ever surfaced were series 2 and series 4. The series 4 red packs have the wrapper with no "USA" tag line. I own a 2nd series pack, and can't wait to check tonight which version that wrapper is. But the heretofore unknown version with the "USA" tag line may have been used only for OPC series 1, or possibly also 2 and or 3 (3rd series packs have never surfaced to my knowledge).

This is very exciting! Has anyone heard anything about this before now?

« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 07:57:00 AM by Paul_Maul »

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
Re: Original Series OPC Wrapper Variation
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 10:43:45 AM »
Just stumbled upon this in one of Matt Stock's auctions. Apparently there are two different versions of the original series red OPC wrapper. One contains the line "Printed in USA" and the other does not (see below). This is huge because it may be that there's a correlation between the wrapper version and which series it was used for. The only OPC original series unopened packs that have ever surfaced were series 2 and series 4. The series 4 red packs have the wrapper with no "USA" tag line. I own a 2nd series pack, and can't wait to check tonight which version that wrapper is. But the heretofore unknown version with the "USA" tag line may have been used only for OPC series 1, or possibly also 2 and or 3 (3rd series packs have never surfaced to my knowledge).

This is very exciting! Has anyone heard anything about this before now?

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

That's news to me.  Finding new vintage variations like this doesn't happen very often, so this is a biggie!

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 12:08:47 PM »
LOL, the auction has already been pulled, that didn't take long!

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 12:19:42 PM »
LOL, the auction has already been pulled, that didn't take long!

Was the auction posted on April 1st?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 12:21:03 PM »
I just noticed Rusty's site has a scan of a different example of this wrapper, described as a 1st series OPC wrapper:

http://www.wacky-packages.net/wackypackages/opeechee/1st-opeechee/wrapper.htm

Why is there always stuff on Rusty's site I've never heard about before? Was this discussed somewhere? Who discovered it? Inquiring minds wanna know!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 12:24:51 PM by Paul_Maul »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 12:21:28 PM »
Was the auction posted on April 1st?

I think the auction was posted today.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 12:23:39 PM »
I think the auction was posted today.

Do you think the auction was a joke, or some type of mistake?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 12:26:02 PM »
Do you think the auction was a joke, or some type of mistake?

I was assuming someone made a big offer and it was sold off ebay.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator

Offline Kook

Offline Kook

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 01:19:19 PM »
I just noticed Rusty's site has a scan of a different example of this wrapper, described as a 1st series OPC wrapper:

Why is there always stuff on Rusty's site I've never heard about before? Was this discussed somewhere? Who discovered it? Inquiring minds wanna know!

So you think this is a confirmed 1st series OPC wrapper? Matt has been selling 1st series sets. I wonder if they've been coming from packs...

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 02:22:38 PM »

Why don't you try emailing Rusty?  I am curious if he knows for sure that is a series 1 wrapper or if it's just a hunch.  It's too bad he doesn't participate on the forums because he obviously spends a lot of time on the hobby and has a lot to contribute.   
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 07:09:11 PM »
Why don't you try emailing Rusty?  I am curious if he knows for sure that is a series 1 wrapper or if it's just a hunch.  It's too bad he doesn't participate on the forums because he obviously spends a lot of time on the hobby and has a lot to contribute.   
I use Rusty's site pretty much when I need to look up reference info, it is quite comprehensive.  It is a shame he doesn't spend time on this forum.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 07:11:04 PM »
I checked my 2nd series OPC unopened pack. It has the same normal wrapper as the 4th series pack. So it does seem pretty likely this other wrapper was used for the 1st series, if it's series-specific. Perhaps when OPC first started issuing wackys is was easier for Topps to manufacture their wrappers for them?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 07:16:10 PM »
So you think this is a confirmed 1st series OPC wrapper? Matt has been selling 1st series sets. I wonder if they've been coming from packs...

I don't think anything about it being first series is confirmed. And this wrapper sure doesn't look freshly opened. I would hope if 1st series unopened OPC packs turned up they would be offered unopened. Since these packs have never surfaced, that would certainly be financially prudent.

Offline Kook

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2012, 05:34:13 AM »
I don't think anything about it being first series is confirmed. And this wrapper sure doesn't look freshly opened. I would hope if 1st series unopened OPC packs turned up they would be offered unopened. Since these packs have never surfaced, that would certainly be financially prudent.

Maybe the wrapper was just in the 1st series collection he's currently selling. He's supposed to be at the show, so hopefully we will have a chance to get some background info.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2012, 05:42:31 AM »
Maybe the wrapper was just in the 1st series collection he's currently selling. He's supposed to be at the show, so hopefully we will have a chance to get some background info.

I haven't followed his auctions, but if he has been selling 1st Series OPC that would certainly increase the likelihood of that being this wrapper's origin. Even though it's only a little line of text, I find this very cool.

anything