Author Topic: Has This Ever Surfaced Before?  (Read 4421 times)

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
Re: Has This Ever Surfaced Before?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 07:42:09 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOPPS-WACKY-PACKAGES-HOSTESS-SUPER-RARE-COUNTER-STORE-DISPLAY-VINTAGE-TOYS-CARD-/140734616511?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20c46fd3bf

Don't recall ever seeing it....

Never seen it either. This would be a good one for Jason. He could identify those Twinkie dudes and date them accordingly I bet.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Kook

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 05:37:03 AM »
Never seen it either. This would be a good one for Jason. He could identify those Twinkie dudes and date them accordingly I bet.

I would think these would be dated to coincide with the hostess set release.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 06:49:46 AM »
I would think these would be dated to coincide with the hostess set release.

What release do you think they are though?  It says 24 titles on the sell sheet but the Hostess doubles only had 19.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 07:02:32 AM »
That is super cool and I wonder what his reserve is :o

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 07:15:53 AM »

The mascots were in effect for over ten years... so that won't narrow it down.  It seems pretty clear that this is a POP piece related to the Hostess Wackys.  Incredibly cool, though.
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Kook

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 07:50:13 AM »
What release do you think they are though?  It says 24 titles on the sell sheet but the Hostess doubles only had 19.

I just did a quick count. Although there are 19 hostess doubles, there are a total of 24 different titles. I'm sure that's what the display is referring to. My bet is that although they were inserted into the packs as doubles, they were supposed to be cut in half.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 11:19:08 AM »
I just did a quick count. Although there are 19 hostess doubles, there are a total of 24 different titles. I'm sure that's what the display is referring to. My bet is that although they were inserted into the packs as doubles, they were supposed to be cut in half.

Ahh, that makes sense.  I was only thinking in terms of the doubles as being one title.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 03:50:30 PM »
Ahh, that makes sense.  I was only thinking in terms of the doubles as being one title.

It's at 361. and the reserve is not met. Last night, when I first checked it out it was at 12. dollars. Wonder if it will sell. I also wonder how do you put a reserve price on this type of thing when you have nothing to reference it to besides your own sentimental value?

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 04:18:50 PM »
info is in the Wacky handbook and on Greg's site too.
Dated invoices for the printing order for the stickers and their due date (March '75) - and has been mentioned already, the 24 total individual titles.
I think wacky collectors are the only ones that care how they were paired.

http://www.wackypackages.org/stickers/hostessdoubles/zabel.html

Offline sunsweat

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 07:31:46 PM »
It's at 361. and the reserve is not met. Last night, when I first checked it out it was at 12. dollars. Wonder if it will sell. I also wonder how do you put a reserve price on this type of thing when you have nothing to reference it to besides your own sentimental value?

The reserve is $750.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 07:13:42 AM »
info is in the Wacky handbook and on Greg's site too.
Dated invoices for the printing order for the stickers and their due date (March '75) - and has been mentioned already, the 24 total individual titles.
I think wacky collectors are the only ones that care how they were paired.

http://www.wackypackages.org/stickers/hostessdoubles/zabel.html

Man, you sure have a way of making me feel dumb!   :'(   Now that I read that I did know that but I haven't looked at the Hostess doubles in in 5-6 years since I finished the set, and my brain needs constant refreshing or I forget things.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 03:30:48 PM »
Man, you sure have a way of making me feel dumb!   :'(   Now that I read that I did know that but I haven't looked at the Hostess doubles in in 5-6 years since I finished the set, and my brain needs constant refreshing or I forget things.
sorry, didn't mean it that way - was just generally throwing that info out there for the group, although it was with a quote from your post

Offline landoquakes

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 11:20:44 PM »
Wow, that went for a respectable price ($1,225) Never seen it before either.

Pluto lives!

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2012, 07:43:17 PM »
Wow, that went for a respectable price ($1,225) Never seen it before either.

Pluto lives!

Dang. O.K. Now if we ever find one in the wild, we know where to start the pricing.

anything