Author Topic: PC9  (Read 3289 times)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
PC9
« on: March 21, 2012, 09:39:15 PM »
OK! Not to start a new anticipation thread but to discuss what happened with increasing the production of an LE set. It's been a week and still not sold out. I think the increased production hurt the integrity of an LE set. So if this is the direction Topps is headed for future releases they have to mix it up a bit with PC9.
Here are my thoughts and most will disagree but I'm saying them anyway. The reason I say most will disagree is because of the number of sets they buy and don't buy extras to resell.
Make more than one set of 6 PC's. Make 10 or 15 different PC sets. You only have to produce 999 sets but you won't know which set you will receive if you only bought one set. You will need to purchase at least 3 sets to try and get every PC in the series. It's like the bios, you have to trade to complete your complete set. Why not mix it up a bit? We have everyone going after the bio sets, why not make it tougher to get a complete set of PC's? You also have to raise the limit from 5 PC sets people can buy.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
Re: PC9
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 10:19:07 PM »
That sounds fun for bigger buyers, but a major drag for folks who are quite happy to assemble a set of post cards and be good with it.
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 06:07:49 AM »
OK! Not to start a new anticipation thread but to discuss what happened with increasing the production of an LE set. It's been a week and still not sold out. I think the increased production hurt the integrity of an LE set. So if this is the direction Topps is headed for future releases they have to mix it up a bit with PC9.
Here are my thoughts and most will disagree but I'm saying them anyway. The reason I say most will disagree is because of the number of sets they buy and don't buy extras to resell.
Make more than one set of 6 PC's. Make 10 or 15 different PC sets. You only have to produce 999 sets but you won't know which set you will receive if you only bought one set. You will need to purchase at least 3 sets to try and get every PC in the series. It's like the bios, you have to trade to complete your complete set. Why not mix it up a bit? We have everyone going after the bio sets, why not make it tougher to get a complete set of PC's? You also have to raise the limit from 5 PC sets people can buy.

Brad,

Sounds like a plan - but way to complicated and complex for Topps...too many moving parts... :P

They should have just went with 500 sets - or 24 hours 5 lot limit and then for the next 24hrs make it 10 - then 20 etc...this might have moved product faster...

We should voice this with Neil...if he even has any weight on this at this point.... :great:

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 07:54:29 AM »
Brad,

Sounds like a plan - but way to complicated and complex for Topps...too many moving parts... :P

They should have just went with 500 sets - or 24 hours 5 lot limit and then for the next 24hrs make it 10 - then 20 etc...this might have moved product faster...

We should voice this with Neil...if he even has any weight on this at this point.... :great:

I actually like the 1,000 set quantity.  It apparently helps keep the dealers/flippers from networking huge #'s of sets because they are concerned the additional sketches and bonus cards will hurt the re-sell prices. 

The fact that they aren't sold out yet isn't necessarily a negative either.  It allows collectors who aren't available on the hour they release to buy sets so they don't get shut out.  Does Topps really care if they sell out in 2 hours or a week?  I bet they don't.  They will still sell out in a short period of time, and the fact that it's showing up on the Topps online site for several days give the series more exposure.

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 10:22:12 AM »
I actually like the 1,000 set quantity.  It apparently helps keep the dealers/flippers from networking huge #'s of sets because they are concerned the additional sketches and bonus cards will hurt the re-sell prices. 

The fact that they aren't sold out yet isn't necessarily a negative either.  It allows collectors who aren't available on the hour they release to buy sets so they don't get shut out.  Does Topps really care if they sell out in 2 hours or a week?  I bet they don't.  They will still sell out in a short period of time, and the fact that it's showing up on the Topps online site for several days give the series more exposure.

I agree.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 04:52:43 AM »
Interesting idea. I am not a fan of making everyone buy multiple sets just to get all the postcards.
Many just want the base postcards and chase cards and one sketch and now they are very affordable.
Sketch collectors must love being able to order these still without having to pay $99 to $149 per sealed set like in the past.
I say keep 999 run but lose "These sell out fast!" from the ad.  :)

DrDeal

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 05:34:08 AM »

i agree with that logic..sets up for the next series...though i did have fun with the 250 selling in hours - gave it a little hype... :] :]

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 05:42:36 AM »

I agree.

Me three. 

Offline dth1971

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 06:00:38 AM »
Besides PC9, will there be a 3rd. Halloween Postcard set sometime in October?

Maybe there should be a Wacky Packages Christmas postcard set for the Christmas 2012 season as well.

Offline Ruffs

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 08:47:25 AM »
I agree with the 1000 LE sets, I am not out here trying to make money on this hobby, I collect Wacky Packages because it brings me back to an easier era. I like to have an example of a set of cards, be it ANS , Postcards, Original etc. I am not nor will I be collecting sketch cards, I am the type that has to have them all & my wallet is not fat enough to support that so I like to be able to buy " AT COST" the next & following series of whats next coming down the pike.