Author Topic: Wacky Postcards Series 8  (Read 32510 times)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
Re: Wacky Postcards Series 8
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2012, 06:23:00 PM »
People all want to pull a full-color painting... and some of them practically are getting that.  

Look, based on what's been created, I can't dispute that maybe the guy shouldn't be doing these.  But this level of sketch card can't keep going - unless it can, I guess.  

You know Brent Engstrom's sketches to me are all very solid and I've never seen one that I didn't like, but it doesn't look like he spends hours doing them.  He obviously spends more time than John Z. does, but he doesn't go crazy with them, yet they all seem very clean, sharp, and well thought out with great variety from one to another.  My point is that there is a happy medium with the sketches, and when you look at the way the bar has been raised recently it exposes the lesser ones for sure.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline RedBeans

« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2012, 06:39:37 PM »
You know Brent Engstrom's sketches to me are all very solid and I've never seen one that I didn't like, but it doesn't look like he spends hours doing them.  He obviously spends more time than John Z. does, but he doesn't go crazy with them, yet they all seem very clean, sharp, and well thought out with great variety from one to another.  My point is that there is a happy medium with the sketches, and when you look at the way the bar has been raised recently it exposes the lesser ones for sure.

by the way...Brent if you're reading this, what's a guy gotta do to massage a return card out of you???   ;)

Offline Kook

« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2012, 06:53:56 PM »
Joe Simko.... Look what you've done!  I hope you're proud of yourself!  ;D

In the case of these sketch cards vs the products they are included with, IMO the cart is driving the horse. Here we are 5 days later and we still have 133+ Postcard8 sets still available in shoptopps.com. The prior 7 sets sold out in hours. Back in the days of postcard2 & postcard3 sets, even when there were only approx 200 sets, they still took days, if not weeks to sell out because they were a novelty, a nice simple sketch, all done by Neil, all similar & nice, but not driving any frenzy. From what I remember, the sketchcard frenzy was sparked by postcard release #4. That started the multiple artists all doing their own thing, drawing "combos" and, at least for me, it was Smokin' Joe who hit it out of the park in that series with the great "illustrations/sketches/art." I do also remember that Zeleznick was right up there with the 7Pup sketches. I also think Jay's contribution of what became know as exotics in Olds1 also were nothing short of amazing & the subsequent postcard series continued to raise the bar.

Lowering the expectation level is, most likely, not going to happen. Once someone sees what is possible, that bell cannot be unrung. Time will tell by how long the upcoming series takes to sell out as people who once bought a lot of boxes shy away because the economics no longer works if you don't plan to keep everything you buy. Without the sketch cards, Old school & postcards don't need 5,000 boxes or 1,000 sets. Since most people are buying 5 or more for the sketches, when the sketch aspect fails, there will be a lot of extra material left over. Once you have your keeper set of Olds or postcards, how many extra sets do you really need?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 06:56:38 PM by billf »

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2012, 07:07:40 PM »
As far as the quality of sketch cards, I find the question intriguing. It's kind of like asking why an automobile manufacturer doesn't make every car a luxury sedan.

I hope Topps isn’t marketing various types of sketch cards to people in different income brackets!

Just pullin’ your bill     ;D

Offline View Monster

• Sights For Sore-Eyes
  • ___ a.k.a. wackyfan ___
    • Non-Sport trading cardz
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2012, 07:10:49 PM »

Shouldn't there be some sort of overall quality standard for the sketch cards in this postcard set that sells for $44.95, which people buy to receive a one of a kind 2.5" x 3.5" piece of art? What did I get for my money? That's what's bugging me...and how do I enjoy these?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2012, 09:26:03 PM »

Shouldn't there be some sort of overall quality standard for the sketch cards in this postcard set that sells for $44.95, which people buy to receive a one of a kind 2.5" x 3.5" piece of art? What did I get for my money? That's what's bugging me...and how do I enjoy these?

Again I don't want to throw Z under the bus but if you got those 2 out of 5 I would be so pissed. In a strange way I don't want Z to see this topic but I really want him to. I hate to embarrass an artist but seeing these sketches I kinda hope he sees them in our light and brings his 'A' game on the next series. As an artist you have to realize everything that you produce is being cratiqued. It contributes to your body of work. Parisi even said with the first series he did that he would have to mix it up a bit and, man, has did he. His latest stuff is amazing.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2012, 10:02:43 PM »
I think all of us should take out an index card and draw something then post it on here for all to see.

Four Roses gold sketch card hits eBay tomorrow at midnight, 99 cents starting bid

Offline Deaf Geoff

• Pop Culture Junkie
« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2012, 10:34:43 PM »

As a very satisfied owner of an Engstrom ANS8 sketch, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Not being a braggart, but I would say it's one of the best. He clearly has an affinity for it, as it is his avatar, and one of his best works.
Interested in Mars Attacks sketches. PM me with pics and prices!

Offline View Monster

• Sights For Sore-Eyes
« Reply #78 on: March 22, 2012, 04:49:29 AM »
Again I don't want to throw Z under the bus but if you got those 2 out of 5 I would be so pissed. In a strange way I don't want Z to see this topic but I really want him to. I hate to embarrass an artist but seeing these sketches I kinda hope he sees them in our light and brings his 'A' game on the next series. As an artist you have to realize everything that you produce is being cratiqued. It contributes to your body of work. Parisi even said with the first series he did that he would have to mix it up a bit and, man, has did he. His latest stuff is amazing.

I would hate to embarrass an artist also and I usually bite my lip but I'm pissed. Which is worse, calling an artist out for not using their talent or a customer that feels bent over and ripped off? I got these two out of THREE sets and i'm afraid to open the third one, I put it on ebay. I feel cheated, that's all i'm trying to say. It seems as though no effort was put into them. All of the artists have tons of talent but was any of it used in these two sketches? I think ALL of the sketch cards should at least be good with a percentage of them being fantastic in a LIMITED series.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 05:02:37 AM by View Monster »

Offline View Monster

• Sights For Sore-Eyes
« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2012, 06:32:35 AM »
Everyone has a right to their opinion.  But when I read someone saying that since they've had "bad" sketch card pulls, they are going to leave the hobby, I feel like it's becoming a bit nonsensical. 

If you're referring to me, I said they have pushed me one step further to leaving. When series 9 comes out should I be excited or should I be a little gun shy? If you look forward to going to an expensive restaurant and have a bad experience more than once do you go back? I don't.......

Offline Deaf Geoff

• Pop Culture Junkie
« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2012, 08:03:09 AM »
I do not blame anybody for being disappointed in a Zilznik sketch. First off nobody is denying his talent. It shows in his finished work.

What they're saying is, there is a clear difference between the effort invested by Mr. Zilznik, and other artists when it comes to the sketches, which are a major draw for collectors, and a source of revenue for the company.

I think if someone is going to half ass it, as Zilznik has done, then he should be barred from future sketches, as it is detrimental to the hobby.

The sketch is what we're buying. If you spend 50 bucks on something, you expect at least a comparable value for your money. I wouldn't pay for a sketch that bad, and I certainly wouldn't pay for it if I saw it on eBay.

Neither, it seems, will anybody else.

If Simko can produce such quality and the other artists as well, then Zilznik needs to step up to the plate, or go home, because there is no excuse to punish fans in such a manner.

Interested in Mars Attacks sketches. PM me with pics and prices!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2012, 08:12:01 AM »
Everyone,
I don't think Topps reads our forum and it would probably be a good idea to voice your complaints directly to Topps. Since PC8 hasn't sold out yet it would probably be a good time to voice your opinion with Topps. Topps hires these artists and they can determine whether to bring an artist back or not for the next series. You can send your comments to support@topps.com

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2012, 08:15:31 AM »
Everyone,
I don't think Topps reads our forum and it would probably be a good idea to voice your complaints directly to Topps. Since PC8 hasn't sold out yet it would probably be a good time to voice your opinion with Topps. Topps hires these artists and they can determine whether to bring an artist back or not for the next series. You can send your comments to support@topps.com
I WILL BET DOLLARS FOR DOUGHNUTS MR.JASPERSEN BROWSES THIS FORUM AS A GUEST!!
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2012, 08:21:13 AM »

Ok, I'll chime in. Let me say first that Mike Jaspersen is a great guy to work for. He has a huge amount of respect for the artists (and fans) and thanks to him, we all get to enjoy great wacky products (old school, postcards, etc).
Neil.......It's good to hear Mr.Jaspersen is a great guy 2 work for,as far as John Zeleznik's sketch cards is this HIS style or is he taking 2 or 3 minutes to doodle these cards as many of us suspect?

"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2012, 09:26:28 AM »
Four Roses gold sketch card hits eBay tomorrow at midnight, 99 cents starting bid

Is that a gold star  or an actual sticker? That could send it through the roof in terms of value.

Who is really causing the embarrassment though? The unhappy collector or the artist? I became involved in this hobby decades ago because of the enjoyment and that's why I continue in it today but for me to get genuinely pissed off, it has to be bad. I realize I'm not being overly demanding since many others share the same sentiment surrounding these specific cards.

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2012, 09:29:45 AM »
Hold on there about sketches just being a bonus piece. You don't think they are included in the $45 price? You think they are give-a-ways?
If it's all about the postcards themselves then why is Topps charging $45 for a set when I could just buy a set of postcards (non LE) for $8. Are you saying the bio cards are making up the difference? Topps is charging us probably around $35 just for the sketch so it's not much of a bonus if you look at it that way.

Brad, that is an excellent point.  We are paying a pretty decent price for these sketches.  Topps knows that the sketches drive the train.  How many post card sets would sell if not for them?  Would anyone buy more that one set?  And I am tired of hearing about the artists being paid almost nothing for their work.  I don't know what they are paid, but you know what, don't do it if you feel you are not being fully compensated.  I had a job that I thought I was being underpaid for.  I quit it and did something else.  I am grateful that the artists do the sketches.  I like them, and I have zero artistic talent.  But the guilt trips have no place here about them suffering so much for our benefit.  If you ask them, I bet every one would say that they spend the extra time on them for there own benefit more than ours.  A pride in work, as well as competing against other artists to see who has the best work.  What do you all think?
Still looking for Series 17

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #86 on: March 22, 2012, 09:32:13 AM »

I know someone will probably jump all over me for this, but even I could have done that pampered kid, and I can't draw.  That one is pretty sad.

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #87 on: March 22, 2012, 09:40:05 AM »
I guess the bottom line is that Topps needs to pay close attention to what expectations have become based on their decisions, unrealistic or not.  When the exception becomes the norm, who is at fault?  Topps, the artist going the extra mile, the artist mailing it in, or the consumer?  All of the above?  Regardless of who, the bottom line always falls on Topps.  And now they have created a postcard series that has not sold out yet.  It probably will, but, if that doesn't sell out, how many of the regular post card sets will sell?  Now there seems to be a large upswell of negative feelings about the sketches.  So, if they plan on a series 9 postcard set, and it is advertised that Zelzenik is one of the sketch artists, you can bet that sales will be tepid. I am sure that Topps would care about that. 

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #88 on: March 22, 2012, 09:48:32 AM »
I know someone will probably jump all over me for this, but even I could have done that pampered kid, and I can't draw.  That one is pretty sad.

WHAT?! Are you calling yourself an artist now :P

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2012, 09:49:41 AM »
But, that's a  perfectly presentable SKETCH. 

This sounds like it is really Topps fault based on semantics.  They are offering a 'sketch', but what some are getting is 'finished art.'  In reality, if they said artist sketch with a chance at finished art, then they are off the hook.  Expectations are diminished because the consumer is now fully aware that they may get a basic, 2 minute sketch, or they may get a series peice of artwork.  Problem solved.

Offline View Monster

• Sights For Sore-Eyes
« Reply #90 on: March 22, 2012, 09:53:16 AM »

What pisses me off the most is that I purchased 3 postcard sets and got TWO of these......what's in the third envelope? I cringe at the thought of having another one of these gems.

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #91 on: March 22, 2012, 09:53:53 AM »
WHAT?! Are you calling yourself an artist now :P

No, an artiste!

Offline RedBeans

« Reply #92 on: March 22, 2012, 09:55:25 AM »
What pisses me off the most is that I purchased 3 postcard sets and got TWO of these......what's in the third envelope? I cringe at the thought of having another one of these gems.

Dude, open it.....I'm curious now!

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #93 on: March 22, 2012, 09:55:47 AM »
Some questions to ponder:

• How many 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" prints of that Picasso doodle would sell for $35 BIN on eBay?
  • How many OLDS boxes would Topps sell if they did not include a Sketch Card?
  • How many OLDS boxes would Topps sell if they only (or mostly) included Doodle Cards?
  • Is it really that "expectations are so high" or is it that most of the artists have created something worth buying that is driving most of the OLDS/PC sales?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #94 on: March 22, 2012, 09:56:11 AM »
This sounds like it is really Topps fault based on semantics.  They are offering a 'sketch', but what some are getting is 'finished art.'  In reality, if they said artist sketch with a chance at finished art, then they are off the hook.  Expectations are diminished because the consumer is now fully aware that they may get a basic, 2 minute sketch, or they may get a series peice of artwork.  Problem solved.

I guess the way I look at it is like any other series. There are always going to be desirable and undesirable cards. We can't expect every sketch card to be amazing. It's the risk we run as collectors. It's also great when you pull a really desirable card. This argument could also be made for color sketches. They are unique and limited just like non Z sketches. Not everyone will get a desirable color sketch. It's the luck of the draw.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #95 on: March 22, 2012, 09:57:37 AM »

I say open it too. Your luck can't be that bad and you might have an amazing color sketch to balance out the 2 bad ones. I would rip that sucker open ASAP!

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #96 on: March 22, 2012, 09:57:42 AM »

I hear ya.  Again, I think the $45 issue Brad made is right to the piont.  Lets say, for example, that all any artist does is a sketch.  A real sketch, just a quick doodle if you will.  All on par with the Z sketches.  Now say they offer the post card set and you have to pay $45 to get the post cards and the doodle sketch.  AND they offer the post cards for $8 with just the post cards.  How many 'sketch' sets do they sell?  My guess is not many, and Topps takes a bath on them.

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #97 on: March 22, 2012, 10:01:28 AM »
Some questions to ponder:

• Is it really that "expectations are so high" or is it that most of the artists have created something worth buying that is driving most of the OLDS/PC sales?

It's more to do with that fact how certain artists appear to give it their all regardless of whether or not the sketch looks like art or something a bit less detailed.

Someone at Topps has to look at these sketches. What in the hell do they think when they see some of the gems causing all of the grief and then look at everything else?

Offline View Monster

• Sights For Sore-Eyes
« Reply #98 on: March 22, 2012, 10:05:08 AM »

:41:

Offline Hawaiian punks

« Reply #99 on: March 22, 2012, 10:31:55 AM »
 I was disappointed when I pulled one of Mr. Zeleznick , cards in Olds 3. My first sketch card ever.
 I posted that it was growing on me and as I, try to see it as an artist, it is not a sketch, it is a simple line drawing. Since it was my first I have a place for it in my collection.
 I agree, you pay good money for this product, only to be disappointed when you pull something like a Zeleznick.
 I also agree that the sketch cards are a big selling point for Topps, but if this is going to be a constant I feel that it will diminish the over all desire for them.
 I will not spend the money on the postcards because of not wanting to be disappointed again. I would be very unhappy if I pulled the two shown above.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #100 on: March 22, 2012, 10:33:49 AM »
Maybe I'm crazy, but I think the "Highbrow National" one is actually pretty good. It's not detailed, but the snooty expression on the guy's face is well-rendered and funny.

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #101 on: March 22, 2012, 10:46:17 AM »
Maybe I'm crazy, but I think the "Highbrow National" one is actually pretty good. It's not detailed, but the snooty expression on the guy's face is well-rendered and funny.

Wanna buy it then? Of course you don't. I wouldn't either. It's like a vampire reacting to garlic. Superman to kryponite.

Seriously though, I get to see it up close and obviously I am not pleased with it. Looking closely, you could see globs of ink that come from a ball point disposable pen with a runny tip. Could it be worse? I guess?

Offline vonhef

« Reply #102 on: March 22, 2012, 11:53:03 AM »
As I mentioned in an earlier post I received a Z sketch of Hormone Chili that was a color sketch but no color. I'm more concerned about that type of "quality control" than I am about the "quality" of a sketch. I wrote Topps, but, as of yet, have not received a reply to my concern of the non-color color sketch.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #103 on: March 22, 2012, 11:58:50 AM »
Exactly people are buying these sets to get a sketch card or 2 to keep and maybe 1 they can flip and get some of their investment back.With all the justified bitching about John Zeleznik's sketches,they might as well add me to the series 9 group of sketch artists,couldn't do much worse.
Alright starting monday i am a full-time sketch artist specializing in monster characters

Alright, let the waiting begin. Just no cancellations !
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #104 on: March 22, 2012, 12:05:20 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Love the hair! Was that a pen or pencil? Bic pen, #2? Is he/she an alien hybred? Is that a Star belly Sneech Star? So many questions.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 12:13:58 PM by Playbug »
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

anything