Author Topic: Wacky Postcards Series 8  (Read 32508 times)

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
Wacky Postcards Series 8
« on: March 15, 2012, 10:07:22 AM »
Hi all,

Since the series 8 postcards are now on sale, I figured some of you may get your sets as soon as tomorrow. I won't go into a lot of detail about the release since you can find the specifics on www.shoptopps.com, but I do want to mention the artists, who (once again) did fantastic artwork, gags and sketches that should make series 8 a lot of fun to collect! Of course, we have the familiar postcard gang (Camera, Engstrom, Kirscht, Simko, Smokin' Joe and Zeleznik) but there's also a few new faces (to wacky postcards), so keep your eyes peeled!

I also want to give a shout out to Mark Parisi and Paul Harris who did some outstanding writing on many of the titles! Mark also contributed a plethora of hilarious sketch cards!

Once again, thanks to the forum faithful for making the postcards such a great success! I'm eager to hear what you think of this latest release!

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
Re: Wacky Postcards Series 8
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 12:12:24 PM »
Really looking forward to this set!

Fig Newts is top of my list so far based only on the previews -- "Made by genetically combining FRUIT & SALAMANDERS" is freakin' hilarious!

And Dr. Puffer is truly inspired. I could see the character of this on the envelope -- now I'm dying to see the card!

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 12:27:34 PM »
Really looking forward to this set!

Fig Newts is top of my list so far based only on the previews -- "Made by genetically combining FRUIT & SALAMANDERS" is freakin' hilarious!

And Dr. Puffer is truly inspired. I could see the character of this on the envelope -- now I'm dying to see the card!

Both are destined to be classic titles!

So, has anyone received their postcards yet? I'm really looking forward to hearing what everyone thinks of series 8!

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 04:11:20 PM »

So, has anyone received their postcards yet? I'm really looking forward to hearing what everyone thinks of series 8!

We should probably either start a new spoiler thread or change this one so that "spoiler" is in the name before people start posting their sketches.  I know some collectors don't like seeing any of them before they get theirs.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Campy

• work in progress
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 04:25:00 PM »
It looks like they have not sold out yet, any chance Topps will remove the 5 limit? :-\

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 04:41:50 PM »

I got my 2 sets and  I love it.  Great job all around. The envelope is so easy to open without tearing. A great improvement. Won't say too much more as this is not a spoiler thread.

Offline Deaf Geoff

• Pop Culture Junkie
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 04:44:55 PM »
Titles that appear in the postcards are exclusive, right? Or have some later appeared as stickers?
Interested in Mars Attacks sketches. PM me with pics and prices!

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 05:22:56 PM »
Titles that appear in the postcards are exclusive, right?

That's correct...kind of. The postcard titles typically don't get produced in sticker form. But you'll find them in other formats, such as T Shirts and Posters.

Offline Deaf Geoff

• Pop Culture Junkie
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 05:34:44 PM »
Thanks.I am assuming there is no hard and fast rule stating that they can't be stickers, only that none have been used yet.
Interested in Mars Attacks sketches. PM me with pics and prices!

Offline Playskull

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 05:49:04 PM »
Neil, unfortunately I haven't even received notice yet that my set has shipped. but I really look forward to this set! the postcards never disappoint and are pretty much the only newer wacky item I get excited about anymore.

Offline Go_Bum

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 07:12:09 PM »
That's correct...kind of. The postcard titles typically don't get produced in sticker form. But you'll find them in other formats, such as T Shirts and Posters.

The postcard titles would make a great sub set in a future ANS series. ;)

Offline dth1971

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 09:05:59 PM »
Why do you think Clubbed Crackers got snubbed out of Postcards series 8?

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 10:12:49 PM »

To try and get to the other side.  Couldn't help myself, sounded too much like an opening line of a joke.  :great:

Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 11:03:52 PM »
We should probably either start a new spoiler thread or change this one so that "spoiler" is in the name before people start posting their sketches.  I know some collectors don't like seeing any of them before they get theirs.

I don't think sketches are spoilers because we don't know the cards. To me at this point is they make no sense. I see auctions but don't get it. I think a lot of us are in the same boat.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 11:04:23 PM »

Where do you get your info?

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2012, 05:05:52 AM »

Neil,

Awesome job - these are great...I will post my sketches in the spoiler section...you out did yourself again!!JUST wish I could BUY MORE!!

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2012, 01:59:00 PM »
Doh! Put those in the Spoilers thread!  :o

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2012, 02:34:30 PM »
Doh! Put those in the Spoilers thread!  :o

oops!  I just removed it.  I thought I went into the spoiler thread but I guess not.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2012, 02:40:44 PM »
                                                   YOU CAN STILL ADD 133 SETS TO THE CART,MJ MAY HAVE MESSED UP
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline Go_Bum

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2012, 04:04:57 PM »
Wow, there are people on ebay selling hormone chili for $18.95 BIN. :o

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2012, 04:12:33 PM »
Wow, there are people on ebay selling hormone chili for $18.95 BIN. :o

I know.  And completed auctions for $28 for the limited edition bonus card, and $19.50 for the mini postcard.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2012, 08:15:46 AM »
I'm still a bit confused on how to handle the numbered certificate. Since the sketch is a bonus and not numbered wouldn't the certificate go with the postcards?

Offline Kook

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2012, 08:53:09 AM »
I'm still a bit confused on how to handle the numbered certificate. Since the sketch is a bonus and not numbered wouldn't the certificate go with the postcards?

My opinion is that the certificate stays with the postcards on this series, especially since the postcards are signed.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2012, 09:07:17 AM »
My opinion is that the certificate stays with the postcards on this series, especially since the postcards are signed.

That's my thought also. No one would ever know which certificate matches a particular sketch.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2012, 10:16:18 AM »
That's my thought also. No one would ever know which certificate matches a particular sketch.

Yeah, the certificate should of been a little more specific. That would of been nice.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2012, 12:58:45 PM »

I put three sets on ebay this afternoon and I normally don't do that but I was so damn disgusted with the sketches. The first two sets produced one fantastic card (the artists deserves a cold beer) and one so/so card and as a result I bought three more to reach the limit. The two I received today, well, lets just say I'd wipe my rear-end with them in the event of a toilet paper shortage. Hopefully the final set produces something to compliment the one I have decided to keep. All that aside, I sold the set as I received them from Topps (minus four of the bio cards).

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2012, 01:13:02 PM »
I put three sets on ebay this afternoon and I normally don't do that but I was so damn disgusted with the sketches. The first two sets produced one fantastic card (the artists deserves a cold beer) and one so/so card and as a result I bought three more to reach the limit. The two I received today, well, lets just say I'd wipe my rear-end with them in the event of a toilet paper shortage. Hopefully the final set produces something to compliment the one I have decided to keep. All that aside, I sold the set as I received them from Topps (minus four of the bio cards).

I haven't seen anything show up on ebay that is that bad. Do you have the listings?

Offline View Monster

• Sights For Sore-Eyes
  • ___ a.k.a. wackyfan ___
    • Non-Sport trading cardz
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2012, 01:21:15 PM »

I wasn't going to say anything at first but this has been bugging me. I'm thoroughly dissatisfied with the sketches I received in this series. I almost bought 5 sets but I am so glad I didn't, I only bought three. They are so bad they have pushed me one step further to leaving the hobby altogether......there I said it....:'(

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2012, 01:28:07 PM »
Actually, two of the sketches are acceptable but they didn't meet my contemporary standards. One is bad. Really bad. But that's just me. Perhaps the one gorgeous sketch I received has spoiled me?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 01:29:41 PM by FourRoses »

Offline Kook

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2012, 02:05:18 PM »
Actually, two of the sketches are acceptable but they didn't meet my contemporary standards. One is bad. Really bad. But that's just me. Perhaps the one gorgeous sketch I received has spoiled me?

I do believe there is a wide variance in the quality of the sketches too. Some of the artists have set the bar so high, that there will be inevitable disappointment when, as Plan9 said in the past, you're getting a BONUS sketch card, NOT a finished piece of art so you can't condemn the artist for making a sketch and not a finished piece since you are promised a sketch.

You can argue this fact, but for the person who gets a Zeleznick doodle vs the guy who gets one of those incredible Simko color pieces of PC8 art, you will have people who are dissatisfied & disenchanted with the inconsistency. As much as I like the sketches, I have cut waaaay back on them myself, just saving a few keepers and not burning through boxes looking for gems as in the past because of the big swing in quality from one to the next, the bottom falling out of the secondary market, the overall volitility of the market & the shear numbers of sketches that have flooded the market lately between the postcard releases, old school releases & ANS7 & ANS8. I can just as easily enjoy them by downloading the scans as I can from spending hundreds or thousands to get the cards in person. Just my humble opinion...

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2012, 02:15:13 PM »
I do believe there is a wide variance in the quality of the sketches too. Some of the artists have set the bar so high, that there will be inevitable disappointment when, as Plan9 said in the past, you're getting a BONUS sketch card, NOT a finished piece of art so you can't condemn the artist for making a sketch and not a finished piece since you are promised a sketch.

I don't believe it is the bar being set too high. Granted, we've seen many wonderful sketches from this series regardless if they are b&w or color but certain artists appear to give their all when producing a sketch and it seems as if they actually give a damn when they sign their name on the finished product. On the other hand, you have some that look as if the artist didn't care at all.

My collection of sketches is quite varied. Some are color and some are a quick b&w but everyone of them shares the similarity that effort was taken during the drawing........until today that is.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 02:17:15 PM by FourRoses »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2012, 02:26:17 PM »
can you guys put up scans of these sketches you are referring to?

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2012, 02:28:11 PM »
I don't believe it is the bar being set too high. Granted, we've seen many wonderful sketches from this series regardless if they are b&w or color but certain artists appear to give their all when producing a sketch and it seems as if they actually give a damn when they sign their name on the finished product. On the other hand, you have some that look as if the artist didn't care at all.

My collection of sketches is quite varied. Some are color and some are a quick b&w but everyone of them shares the similarity that effort was taken during the drawing........until today that is.

Maybe the bar hasn't been set too high, but expectations have become wildly unrealistic and inaccurate.  Evidence of that is right here on this thread.  

The fact is, these are sketch cards.  If you go back to Wacky Postcard series 1 - what we all got in the limited set, were sketches.  Since then, and oftentimes to the consumer's benefit, the drift has moved us closer and closer to finished pieces of art - rather than sketches.

It's clear and it's understandable how this has happened, and why expectations have become so incredibly high.  Unfortunately, those unrealistic expectations are now producing not only disappointment, but resentment.   At least among a vocal few.   And that's not good.

It's a bit like the kids who resented comic books in the 1990's, when they couldn't resell them for 10x what they paid.  Their expectations were for something that was never promised, but maybe implied.  As the postcards have evolved, the artists have gone further and done more-than, more and more often.  So now, some of us no longer expect sketch cards at all - we are EXPECTING finished art cards.  

The resentment I'm sensing (if I'm wrong on that - I apologize) is not good.  Expectations should be reset to sane levels, because I don't think it's realistic to keep expecting people to go over-the-top each and every time. 
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2012, 02:35:22 PM »
I really don't know what these guys are commenting on because most of the sketches have been outstanding! Other than the Zeleznik's I haven't really seen any really bad ones. I don't mean to put Zeleznik under the bus but his art is fantastic but he doesn't spend too much time on his sketches and it also shows when he didn't even color in 2 color sketches we've seen so far. That tells me he is flipping them pretty fast to get them done while other artists are really putting some effort into them. If the products not good people will quit buying. The artists know this and so does Topps.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2012, 02:39:11 PM »
I really don't know what these guys are commenting on because most of the sketches have been outstanding! Other than the Zeleznik's I haven't really seen any really bad ones. I don't mean to put Zeleznik under the bus but his art is fantastic but he doesn't spend too much time on his sketches and it also shows when he didn't even color in 2 color sketches we've seen so far. That tells me he is flipping them pretty fast to get them done while other artists are really putting some effort into them. If the products not good people will quit buying. The artists know this and so does Topps.

I think the fact that the "product" is being defined by the bonus pieces, rather than the product itself -- the postcards -- is a symptom that these are in danger, anyway.  It's the chase card problem, but with sketches.  It's not sustainable, and leads to implosion.  How can it not?

Production numbers are ramped up, not because 1,000 people want LE sets of postcards, but because a couple hundred people are willing to buy 3-5 sets each...    That's overproduction, isn't it?
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

anything