Author Topic: Postcard Series 8 on sale tomorrow (3/15/12) @ noon  (Read 39235 times)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
RE: Postcard Series 8 on sale tomorrow (3/15/12) @ noon
« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2012, 08:10:31 AM »
My guess is they will cancel your order unless it slips through the cracks.  If they don't than everyone here will know you did it and some will try the same thing, if not on this series the next, and a precedent will be set that it's not something that they monitor very closely.

I personally like the buying limit.  If it wasn't for the so-called dealers who but strictly for profit we probably wouldn't need a limit, but we all know that's not the case.  As long as collectors are still buying sketch cards at high prices having a limit is the only way to go.  If not, a large group of collectors would get shut out and have to pay 3 times the purchase price if they want a set.

Rob, put in another order yourself and see what happens. My order hasn't been cancelled yet. Topps wants to sell out so I think they will let it slide. I can see people putting in multiple orders when the sets go on sale but 21 hours later shouldn't be an over buying issue.

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2012, 08:25:02 AM »
I noticed this yesterday. None of his sets are moving and Topps did NOT sell out. In the past, sealed LE postcard sets sold for almost $100 immediately. I hope I can sell my extra stuff to recoup what I spent. I bought the max of 5 LE sets just to get all 8 of the bio cards and hopefully some decent sketch cards.

The price tag of $100 went with postcard sets that sold out extremely quickly thanks in part to a much smaller quantity. Once this sells out and people realize they now want them but can't get them, I don't think it will be uncommon to see them (unopened) at a significant price over the $44.95 price. 999 sets isn't a lot but then again it isn't a small amount either but when people want something that isn't readily available, they will pay. Keep an eye on the PC 2 set on Ebay and lets see the final price.

Offline Kook

« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2012, 09:04:26 AM »
I just messaged him thru e-Bay and told him that there is a small problem with his auction. These aren't sold out yet and he lists them as such. Didn't get a response yet.

Only problem with that is that there are many ill-informed people that are not aware of shoptopps.com. Many have no idea where these products come from or whether they are still available from Topps or not. If people only see them on ebay, they will only compare them to other ebay items.

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2012, 09:49:46 AM »
I was a little disappointed in them having 999 sets (to me 500 was the high mark for a "limited" series). It will be very interesting to see how this pans out.

As a collector, as long as I can end up with three sketches I like and at least one each of the case cards (bonus, bios) I will be happy. I'm glad this is doable this time around.

As of almost 25 hours later, I could still add at least 100 sets to my shopping cart...

Which reminds me: do we know of anyone who might not have seen this release notification? Any buddies who haven't responded back? Anyone conspicuously absent from the discussion? They still have time...

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2012, 10:20:57 AM »
Wasn't OLDS3 presale limited to 1000? That sold out in a couple days with no limit after the first day. My hunch is my second order will go through as Topps may wait 24 hours before letting people order more. Do I dare try to order another 5? :D

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2012, 10:53:10 AM »
Putting the GPK book online a few hours ago, when ordering my 3rd PC set, would have been swell. Now it comes on the site.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2012, 12:05:28 PM »
...do we know of anyone who might not have seen this release notification?
This remark of yours triggered this thought: I'm going to send one of my regular PC8 sets to Gary Browning. I only got 2 to get the bonus card. Thanks for the tickler...

Offline Go_Bum

« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2012, 12:14:33 PM »
The price tag of $100 went with postcard sets that sold out extremely quickly thanks in part to a much smaller quantity. Once this sells out and people realize they now want them but can't get them, I don't think it will be uncommon to see them (unopened) at a significant price over the $44.95 price. 999 sets isn't a lot but then again it isn't a small amount either but when people want something that isn't readily available, they will pay. Keep an eye on the PC 2 set on Ebay and lets see the final price.

There is a PC 3 set on ebay as well it's just shy of $130 as of this post.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2012, 01:42:23 PM »
Putting the GPK book online a few hours ago, when ordering my 3rd PC set, would have been swell. Now it comes on the site.

I had pre-ordered the GPK book from Amazon. Received notification that it shipped Wednesday. I am hoping it is at home when I arrive tonight.  :great:
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline emoticon

« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2012, 06:45:30 PM »
I noticed this yesterday. None of his sets are moving and Topps did NOT sell out. In the past, sealed LE postcard sets sold for almost $100 immediately. I hope I can sell my extra stuff to recoup what I spent. I bought the max of 5 LE sets just to get all 8 of the bio cards and hopefully some decent sketch cards.

Someone just bought five at $80 a pop. Sets are still not close to being sold out. I put a 100 in my cart just to check.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380420768104

Offline Swiski

« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2012, 07:22:32 PM »
Someone just bought five at $80 a pop. Sets are still not close to being sold out. I put a 100 in my cart just to check.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380420768104

The same person bought all 5?! I bet this person will feel like a complete idiot when he (or she) finds out they could have purchased them for half that price!!

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2012, 08:30:00 PM »
The same person bought all 5?! I bet this person will feel like a complete idiot when he (or she) finds out they could have purchased them for half that price!!

If they didn't know they weren't sold out yet than I doubt they will ever figure it out!
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2012, 08:50:16 PM »
If they didn't know they weren't sold out yet than I doubt they will ever figure it out!

But there is some very deceptive advertising at work on some of these eBay lots. Several of them that I saw state in the description "Sold out in Hours".
Leading someone to believe they missed out through Topps.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2012, 11:08:45 PM »
But there is some very deceptive advertising at work on some of these eBay lots. Several of them that I saw state in the description "Sold out in Hours".

Ignorance. Nuff said! LOL

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2012, 02:52:35 AM »
Several of them that I saw state in the description "Sold out in Hours".

I guess someone could claim it was "Sold out in minutes" and be technically correct. That reminds me of a question my Dad used to talk to me about when I was a kid, “What is the difference between accuracy and precision?” Not sure, but I think “Sold out in hours” is accurate but not precise, or it is it the other way around . . .

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #85 on: March 17, 2012, 04:52:56 AM »

He just lied to sell it...'deceptive' is nice...ahh capitalism at work...now that guy who sold them - he's a "hustler"

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #86 on: March 17, 2012, 08:27:34 AM »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #87 on: March 17, 2012, 08:47:22 AM »

Offline Swiski

« Reply #88 on: March 17, 2012, 09:18:15 AM »
That looks like Greg's auction. Strange.

Yeah...didn't he say at one point that he refuses to buy Old School or any postcards?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #89 on: March 17, 2012, 09:34:40 AM »
I'm still surprised these aren't sold out. Topps should allow us to buy more. I didn't get a shipping notice on my second order so I have no idea if they accepted it or not. Maybe they will wait over the weekend to see if they sell out? Who knows?

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #90 on: March 17, 2012, 10:34:31 AM »
I'm still surprised these aren't sold out. Topps should allow us to buy more. I didn't get a shipping notice on my second order so I have no idea if they accepted it or not. Maybe they will wait over the weekend to see if they sell out? Who knows?

you tried to buy more sets with the same cc ad shipping address?? they allow you to do that??

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #91 on: March 17, 2012, 11:33:12 AM »

My guess is they will simply ignore the extras for the same shipping address. Will be interesting to see if they don't.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #92 on: March 17, 2012, 12:26:30 PM »
you tried to buy more sets with the same cc ad shipping address?? they allow you to do that??

Nothing has been cancelled or shipped so I have no idea if they allowed it.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #93 on: March 17, 2012, 01:07:35 PM »
Since the discussion is surrounding the postcard series and prices, here is one for series 3.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wacky-Packages-2007-Postcards-Series-3-Signed-Sketch-Card-Grave-Nuts-/180838590955?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1ad1e9eb

I bet the high bidders are in it more for the Grave Nuts than they are for the sketch or the postcards.  I've seen these series 1-3 sets struggle to sell over $75.00.  At only 200 Grave Nuts released it makes that card the rarest bonus card that came in the postcard sets so far.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #94 on: March 17, 2012, 01:08:55 PM »
Yeah...didn't he say at one point that he refuses to buy Old School or any postcards?

He very well could have picked that up along the way cheap and wants to sell it now.  I don't think he was collecting the postcard sets though.

Offline Go_Bum

« Reply #95 on: March 17, 2012, 02:44:59 PM »
I bet the high bidders are in it more for the Grave Nuts than they are for the sketch or the postcards.  I've seen these series 1-3 sets struggle to sell over $75.00.  At only 200 Grave Nuts released it makes that card the rarest bonus card that came in the postcard sets so far.

Is there any particular reason that this set is so hard to find? It's sold out at the Topps online store and I never see the regular set on ebay. I've been able to pick up almost all the regular series on ebay for little money, with the exception of PC3 and halloween 2010 which I've never seen in the 6 months that I've been looking.

Offline jeffcaff

« Reply #96 on: March 17, 2012, 05:13:56 PM »
I agree with Brad completely.  It has been 48 hours since Series 8 Postcard release and they are still not sold out. It looks there are still 300 sets available. Most Wacky enthusiasts should have already ordered their postcard sets.  It might be hard for Topps to turn down your order if you purchase some additional items with you order. I may try to order an additional 5 sets tomorrow and piggyback it with some OLDS3 boxes or standard Series 8 Postcard set. It is worth a try.  I am sure that they will not stop me from ordering future Wackies down the road.  I didn't get my sets yet but they look better than any of the past postcard releases. 

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #97 on: March 17, 2012, 05:13:56 PM »

Is there any particular reason that this set is so hard to find? It's sold out at the Topps online store and I never see the regular set on ebay. I've been able to pick up almost all the regular series on ebay for little money, with the exception of PC3 and halloween 2010 which I've never seen in the 6 months that I've been looking.

Well they only made 200 sets of the limited version and I'm not sure how many of the regular, but like you said they are sold out so maybe they didn't make that many for that series. 

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #98 on: March 17, 2012, 07:18:51 PM »
Well they only made 200 sets of the limited version and I'm not sure how many of the regular, but like you said they are sold out so maybe they didn't make that many for that series. 
So I still have time to order a set?  I am not chasing these PCM cards that require multi purchases of the regular set, Topps pushed the envelop too far with that almost turning me off completely on these post card sets.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #99 on: March 18, 2012, 08:23:52 AM »
So I still have time to order a set?  I am not chasing these PCM cards that require multi purchases of the regular set, Topps pushed the envelop too far with that almost turning me off completely on these post card sets.

Yup, I just checked and it looks like the limited are still available, but I would get them quickly because I thing they are getting close to being sold out.

Offline Playskull

« Reply #100 on: March 18, 2012, 09:47:07 AM »

Topps crossed the line a long time ago with these damn WP CHASE cards.  My all-time favorite is probably border variations of subsets.  Because as we all know, a subset in itself isn't quite enough.  Nope, lets have BORDER VARIATIONS of that subset!  And who could forget the EXCLUSIVE ANS bonus card that could only be had with the simple purchase of an album which costs close to $30 shipped?

COLLECT EM ALL!!!!!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2012, 09:40:07 PM »
They are still available for sale? This is crazy. I don't think a limited edition set has ever taken this long to sell out.crazy! cant buy any more because of limit.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #102 on: March 19, 2012, 02:46:29 AM »
"These sell out fast"   jinxed the sell out this time...as well as the large quantity produced.

The sale of these sets at high prices on the bay while they are not sold out at Topps bothers me. I know "caveat emptor" applies but I don't like it for our hobby.
I resell but want my customers to be happy. I would not enjoy receiving emails from customers who learned they got a poor deal and would like to return the item.

DrDeal

Offline Kook

« Reply #103 on: March 19, 2012, 06:23:23 AM »
They are still available for sale? This is crazy. I don't think a limited edition set has ever taken this long to sell out.crazy! cant buy any more because of limit.

We're still at 133+ available 4 days after release. This limit seems ridiculous this far out. I agree that you should have a limit initially not to shut anyone out, but if they are going to double the series production, they should have a limit for the first 24 hours. If the series takes longer than that to sell out, they should not have order restrictions since they are not in that high a demand. I think with the deluge of sketch cards lately, topps is killing (drowning) the secondary market anyway, so the limit & all these "tweaks" aren't going to matter 2 or 3 more series out. People will be begging for the secondary market, so they can have the "dealers" buy the items from topps & sell off the extras in pieces for them to complete their sets for LESS than what people would have initially paid to topps, not more. Time will tell...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 06:25:58 AM by billf »

Offline Soremel

« Reply #104 on: March 19, 2012, 07:15:35 AM »
I checked my calendar, and it appears that it's been quite some time since I asked a stupid question. (I need to fill my quota before the end of the fiscal year!)

So, here it is... What do the initials "TS" (followed by a number) stand for in the WP postcard sets?

Thanks in advance!
GW

anything