Author Topic: Postcard Series 8 on sale tomorrow (3/15/12) @ noon  (Read 39228 times)

Offline Tic_Toc

• Tic...Tic...Tic...Toc!
RE: Postcard Series 8 on sale tomorrow (3/15/12) @ noon
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2012, 10:51:09 AM »
Any order over $50.00 is Free Shipping.  :great:

Oh man, this is crap!  I ordered one set and paid about $11 in shipping.  I could have ordered another regular set for $7.95 and gotten FREE shipping?  This totally irritates me.  Why don't they make a point of telling us about the free shipping on orders over $50?  I'm pissed at Topps!

Offline Tic_Toc

• Tic...Tic...Tic...Toc!
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2012, 11:03:10 AM »
Oh man, this is crap!  I ordered one set and paid about $11 in shipping.  I could have ordered another regular set for $7.95 and gotten FREE shipping?  This totally irritates me.  Why don't they make a point of telling us about the free shipping on orders over $50?  I'm pissed at Topps!

So I call Topps customer service to check on this.  The guy on the phone had never heard of free shipping on orders over $50.  He spent a few minutes searching around, and still couldn't even confirm that they have that policy.  Then he also couldn't modify the order I'd just placed to add another item to get it over $50, so no help there.  But I did go back and put $50 worth of stuff in my cart to see if it works.  And sure enough, the shipping goes away over $50.  I do think it's stupid that they don't advertise this promotional price, or even tell their own customer service reps that it exists!

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2012, 12:01:23 PM »
Yeah the shipping thing was a complete mystery to me until the very end of my order. I saw that the regular postcards listed "free shipping" but assumed I was going to pay shipping on everything else (including the binder). It is definitely confusing.

As a side note: maybe this thread's title should be changed to "today 3/15" instead of "tomorrow" jic? ;)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2012, 12:03:37 PM »
Definitely, this was the first time I remembered to order the regular sets at the same time!

Weren't the regular sets available the same time the LE's were available last time? I did the exact same thing and ordered them separately last time.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2012, 12:11:22 PM »
Weren't the regular sets available the same time the LE's were available last time? I did the exact same thing and ordered them separately last time.

I think so, I am usually just focused on getting the limited order in quickly so I've spaced on the regular set. 
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2012, 12:35:28 PM »
They are still available. I wonder if I can put in another order for them since they aren't sold out and mine shows shipping status?

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2012, 01:43:55 PM »
2 Limited, 2 Reg.  Free shipping....Sweet.  Let the sketch lottery begin!

DrDeal

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2012, 02:10:59 PM »
2 Limited, 2 Reg.  Free shipping....Sweet.  Let the sketch lottery begin!

DrDeal

"And behold... there was great termoil then rejoicing within the Wacky Packages Forum at the nooneth hour of the Easternest time zone. But hark... now a hush, where there was shortly ago a rush and things doth seemest quiet again.  (chirpeth, chirpeth)" - William Shake-a-spear
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 02:12:56 PM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2012, 02:12:51 PM »
Anyone's "buddy" not checked back in yet?

I PM'ed several people before leaving for the day yesterday jic (BumChex, RaMpB, bandaches, RawGoo, DrSushi, Crust, Campy, quas, sco(o)t) and I just now PM'ed the following folks: weirdo1, Weakies, wackydude, ROID, ratchet007, Playbug, Playskull, Paul_Maul, NEZHEAD42, Monsterettes, Mashbox, lucidjc, Liptorn_Willie, Jean Nutty, Gurgle, Duznt, deadpresidentsvisa, crackedjerk, Buzzooka, BustedFinger, BRUTE_88, Bladerunner, Bigmuc13, bigtomi, BigJohn.

Probably overkill (with 999 available) but I still remember what a bummer it is to miss out on these!
Thankfully I saw it on the forum yesterday and bought them today. No email from Topps (even though i signed up) or anyone came my way.

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2012, 02:34:10 PM »
And sure enough, the shipping goes away over $50.  I do think it's stupid that they don't advertise this promotional price, or even tell their own customer service reps that it exists!

Don't you pay attention to the main page of Toppsonline.com? Right there it says "Everyday free (ups) shipping on orders $50 or more.

Offline Ruffs

« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2012, 03:01:44 PM »
I'm IN !!!!!

Offline Tic_Toc

• Tic...Tic...Tic...Toc!
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2012, 03:30:35 PM »
Don't you pay attention to the main page of Toppsonline.com? Right there it says "Everyday free (ups) shipping on orders $50 or more.

I see what you mean.  But no, I don't pay much attention to the home page, as it's a complete cluster of non-wacky related stuff.  I always navigate to the Wacky subsection and that's where I'm really paying attention.  And on that page, there's no mention of the free shipping.  Granted, I should probably have picked up on this at some point along the way; it's just really irritating that I spent $11 on shipping when I could have put in and $8 item and gotten it for free.  And the regular postcard set does ship free, even though it's exactly the same size.  I really don't get how they do shipping costs...

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2012, 04:01:11 PM »
I see what you mean.  But no, I don't pay much attention to the home page, as it's a complete cluster of non-wacky related stuff.  I always navigate to the Wacky subsection and that's where I'm really paying attention.  And on that page, there's no mention of the free shipping.  Granted, I should probably have picked up on this at some point along the way; it's just really irritating that I spent $11 on shipping when I could have put in and $8 item and gotten it for free.  And the regular postcard set does ship free, even though it's exactly the same size.  I really don't get how they do shipping costs...

When I've purchased single regular sets with the free shipping, they came in a bubble envelope.  I don't know if they send limited sets that way, even if you only order one set.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2012, 04:25:28 PM »

Ay caramba, I keep forgetting about this! I paid 11 bucks for shipping when I could have gotten another item instead.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2012, 05:02:32 PM »
They had it correct at ET.  I noticed and I thought of you when I saw it!
LOL. one of my few pet peeves.
ok, many pet peeves.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2012, 05:15:00 PM »
LOL. one of my few pet peeves.
ok, many pet peeves.

do you have cats?

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2012, 05:31:42 PM »

I ordered 2 LE Sets earlier and got the free shipping. Now, several hours later, I realized that I had forgotten about the regular sets. Went back and ordered 2 Regular sets and still got free shipping. Go figure.???

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2012, 06:18:39 PM »
I ordered 2 LE Sets earlier and got the free shipping. Now, several hours later, I realized that I had forgotten about the regular sets. Went back and ordered 2 Regular sets and still got free shipping. Go figure.???
regular sets have had free shipping for quite a few series now.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2012, 06:20:00 PM »
Its ironic that the first time they put "they sell out fast" in the write up...they don't sell out.

DrDeal

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2012, 06:22:22 PM »
2 Limited, 2 Reg.  Free shipping....Sweet.  Let the sketch lottery begin!

DrDeal

I don't think there will be much for sketch lottery. You can still buy sets from Topps. There will be still sales on sketches because someone will find desirable titles but people thinking they will sell sketches for $200+ may be disapointed. There is even an auction already for a full et for $80 when you can still buy online. What is this persons priority?

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2012, 06:29:06 PM »
I don't think there will be much for sketch lottery. You can still buy sets from Topps. There will be still sales on sketches because someone will find desirable titles but people thinking they will sell sketches for $200+ may be disapointed. There is even an auction already for a full et for $80 when you can still buy online. What is this persons priority?

I bet the colored ones will go $200+ if they are nice but I agree about the B&W's. 

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2012, 07:53:37 PM »
                                                                            I just put in an order for 100 LE sets and it said amount in cart 4995.00
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2012, 08:28:17 PM »
                                                                            I just put in an order for 100 LE sets and it said amount in cart 4995.00

But did you get free shipping?  :]

« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2012, 08:48:29 PM »
But did you get free shipping?  :]

Nice Robot Burns..................they made me buy 73 binders for the free shipping
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2012, 08:51:59 PM »
I just put in a second order to see if they will accept it since they were still available and my order shipped already. We'll see if they accept it. I think they will. I understand business and I understand what Topps and Neil are doing. Neil is trying to make sure no one buys them all and all collectors have an opportunity. Topps, probably, doesn't care. They want them to all sell out. They are in the business to sell and not control inventory to buyers. Neil is helping us all out. It must be a real struggle sometimes with having constraints.
You are all going to have opinions and I totally applaud Neil for controlling orders to help us all out as collectors. We are all collectors so think of yourself as a business owner. Could you all hold back not to sell your product when you have it to sell to someone that wants to buy? Seriously, you couldn't.
I'm not trying to start some conspiracy theory but I'm still not buying all the we are making more sets for the collectors to make sure they get a set. We have seen an increase With all Topps exclusives like OLDS. If they sell out so fast why not make more series and make everyone more money? Everyone will, and if their not shame on them, make more money with a bigger run.
I'm in sales and I know how this game works. Again, I'm not trying to start anything but post my opinion. I really was upset when I heard there were 999 sets of these. We started at 100 limited sets, very exclusive. Now it feels like its getting a bit out of hand and hurting the limited PC brand they built. That is how these things work. Making money will always take away from the limited exclusive experience. The rush for collectors will fade. We are now 10 hours into the release and it's still not sold out.
I love the PC series but I also have an opinion on this. Not telling Topps how to run their business. They know what they are doing.
Sorry for the rant, I can't wait to see them and I hope Neil and his team of artists made good money. Success for them means more future product for us all.
If Topps really wanted to produce a limited edition and make money why not produce a set of 200 for $100 a set? I guess even at those prices they would still do better selling 999 at $45 a set.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2012, 07:01:27 AM »
You can still buy sets from Topps. 20 hours into the sale. They should now let people buy another 5 sets.

Offline Kook

« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2012, 07:07:20 AM »
I just put in a second order to see if they will accept it since they were still available and my order shipped already. We'll see if they accept it. I think they will. I understand business and I understand what Topps and Neil are doing. Neil is trying to make sure no one buys them all and all collectors have an opportunity. Topps, probably, doesn't care. They want them to all sell out. They are in the business to sell and not control inventory to buyers. Neil is helping us all out. It must be a real struggle sometimes with having constraints.
You are all going to have opinions and I totally applaud Neil for controlling orders to help us all out as collectors. We are all collectors so think of yourself as a business owner. Could you all hold back not to sell your product when you have it to sell to someone that wants to buy? Seriously, you couldn't.
I'm not trying to start some conspiracy theory but I'm still not buying all the we are making more sets for the collectors to make sure they get a set. We have seen an increase With all Topps exclusives like OLDS. If they sell out so fast why not make more series and make everyone more money? Everyone will, and if their not shame on them, make more money with a bigger run.
I'm in sales and I know how this game works. Again, I'm not trying to start anything but post my opinion. I really was upset when I heard there were 999 sets of these. We started at 100 limited sets, very exclusive. Now it feels like its getting a bit out of hand and hurting the limited PC brand they built. That is how these things work. Making money will always take away from the limited exclusive experience. The rush for collectors will fade. We are now 10 hours into the release and it's still not sold out.
I love the PC series but I also have an opinion on this. Not telling Topps how to run their business. They know what they are doing.
Sorry for the rant, I can't wait to see them and I hope Neil and his team of artists made good money. Success for them means more future product for us all.
If Topps really wanted to produce a limited edition and make money why not produce a set of 200 for $100 a set? I guess even at those prices they would still do better selling 999 at $45 a set.

Well, we're at just about 22 hours since these went on sale, and there are AT LEAST 133 sets still available. Seems Topps has placed a $6,000 shopping cart value cap on their web store, so there's no way to tell anymore exactly how many items are left if their value exceeds $6,000. Should be interesting to see how long these take to sell out & how it affects the secondary market with sooooo much material.

It should also be interesting how this affects the previous PC release prices and the sketch card prices in general. Increased PC qty can entice more collectors into the market, and they will either pay a premium for prior, more limited, releases to complete their sets, or it could just dilute the entire market & drive all prices down.

This could have an effect on the sketch prices in general too. For people who just buy sketch cards because they like the artwork, and not necessarily the series they are from, there are now:
OLDS1 ~3,500?, OLDS2 ~5,000, OLDS3 ~5,000 & PC1, PC2, PC3, PC4, PC5, PC6, PC7, PC8, Halloween 2009, 2010, 2011, ANS7, ANS8 all totalling about another 5,000 cards, that makes about 18,000 to 19,000 wacky sketch cards to choose from. Seems the days of the $2,000 color sketch card are never to return. ;) Are the day of the $5 to $10 sketch card just around the corner??  :^)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 07:17:55 AM by billf »

« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2012, 07:15:23 AM »
OLD SCHOOL 1                      3,650 SKETCH CARDS                                 ALL JAY               LONG

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2012, 07:24:22 AM »

My guess is they will cancel your order unless it slips through the cracks.  If they don't than everyone here will know you did it and some will try the same thing, if not on this series the next, and a precedent will be set that it's not something that they monitor very closely.

I personally like the buying limit.  If it wasn't for the so-called dealers who but strictly for profit we probably wouldn't need a limit, but we all know that's not the case.  As long as collectors are still buying sketch cards at high prices having a limit is the only way to go.  If not, a large group of collectors would get shut out and have to pay 3 times the purchase price if they want a set.

Offline rdsjnk

« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2012, 07:39:52 AM »
My guess is they will cancel your order unless it slips through the cracks.  If they don't than everyone here will know you did it and some will try the same thing, if not on this series the next, and a precedent will be set that it's not something that they monitor very closely.

I personally like the buying limit.  If it wasn't for the so-called dealers who but strictly for profit we probably wouldn't need a limit, but we all know that's not the case.  As long as collectors are still buying sketch cards at high prices having a limit is the only way to go.  If not, a large group of collectors would get shut out and have to pay 3 times the purchase price if they want a set.

Like This:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Wacky-Packages-Series-8-Limited-Edition-Postcards-SEALED-UNOPENED-SKETCH-/380420840806?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5892d95d66

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2012, 07:56:17 AM »
:]  Tevans333 is a douchebag scalper from the gpkug.com site.....

I just messaged him thru e-Bay and told him that there is a small problem with his auction. These aren't sold out yet and he lists them as such. Didn't get a response yet.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2012, 07:59:37 AM »
:]  Tevans333 is a douchebag scalper from the gpkug.com site.....

I noticed this yesterday. None of his sets are moving and Topps did NOT sell out. In the past, sealed LE postcard sets sold for almost $100 immediately. I hope I can sell my extra stuff to recoup what I spent. I bought the max of 5 LE sets just to get all 8 of the bio cards and hopefully some decent sketch cards.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2012, 08:07:16 AM »
Well, we're at just about 22 hours since these went on sale, and there are AT LEAST 133 sets still available. Seems Topps has placed a $6,000 shopping cart value cap on their web store, so there's no way to tell anymore exactly how many items are left if their value exceeds $6,000. Should be interesting to see how long these take to sell out & how it affects the secondary market with sooooo much material.

It should also be interesting how this affects the previous PC release prices and the sketch card prices in general. Increased PC qty can entice more collectors into the market, and they will either pay a premium for prior, more limited, releases to complete their sets, or it could just dilute the entire market & drive all prices down.

This could have an effect on the sketch prices in general too. For people who just buy sketch cards because they like the artwork, and not necessarily the series they are from, there are now:
OLDS1 ~3,500?, OLDS2 ~5,000, OLDS3 ~5,000 & PC1, PC2, PC3, PC4, PC5, PC6, PC7, PC8, Halloween 2009, 2010, 2011, ANS7, ANS8 all totalling about another 5,000 cards, that makes about 18,000 to 19,000 wacky sketch cards to choose from. Seems the days of the $2,000 color sketch card are never to return. ;) Are the day of the $5 to $10 sketch card just around the corner??  :^)

That's interesting to consider about sketch value. There really is no set value other than what others will pay for them. It could hurt older sketch value because there could be a perception that all the sketches were easy to get and should be as cheap as the new ones.
It seems strange that people will go crazy with sketch prices with a new series and it usually hangs pretty well throughout the series run but when a new series comes out the interest in older sketches seems to fade. I'm sure it has to do with the big sketch collectors moving on and are happy with their collection from a previous series. The catch 22 in all this is if you are a big sketch collector the good sketches get posted right away and are usually swallowed up and never to be seen again so you have to act fast if you want them and usually pay a premium.
You're right about $2000 color sketches. Those days are long gone. Even $400 for a nice sketch is tough to get. It has to be pretty special.
I love these discussions about collecting and perceived value.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2012, 08:08:29 AM »
I noticed this yesterday. None of his sets are moving and Topps did NOT sell out. In the past, sealed LE postcard sets sold for almost $100 immediately. I hope I can sell my extra stuff to recoup what I spent. I bought the max of 5 LE sets just to get all 8 of the bio cards and hopefully some decent sketch cards.
We'll soon see. Look for cards showing up on ebay today. There will be a lot next week and the prices will tumble fast. I like to recoup cost as well but I don't know if it will happen this round.