Author Topic: So, where are the color sketches hiding?  (Read 55542 times)

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
Re: So, where are the color sketches hiding?
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2010, 08:39:52 PM »
That's true but I think it might be crazy to hang on to them. The colored are hot right now with Leslie paying around $1200 each for them. I think once the craze is over and the big collectors got what they want that the price may drop. I could totally be wrong here but anyone remember the GOLDS? LOL
I know color sketches are completely different then gold border cards and should demand a premium because they are original art. I just don't know if I could hold on to unopened boxes. Depending on what I pull out of my 30 boxes I may just order about a dozen or so to keep sealed. I really want the paste em boy color sketch.
Why would someone who wants colored sketches suddenly not want colored sketches 2 months from now?  It is totally different than the Gold chase as each colored sketch is totally unique yet the big spenders only needed ONE of 40 of each Gold so once they each had a certain title, the remaining quantity of that title dropped to the next tier of buyers.  I am sitting on 6 unopened boxes right now.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2010, 09:00:22 PM »
I am sitting on 6 unopened boxes right now.
You're gonna bend the stickers and sketches!     ;)

Offline bandaches

« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2010, 09:07:21 PM »
You're gonna bend the stickers and sketches!     ;)
LOL, wise-arse!
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2010, 09:39:11 PM »
Why would someone who wants colored sketches suddenly not want colored sketches 2 months from now?  It is totally different than the Gold chase as each colored sketch is totally unique yet the big spenders only needed ONE of 40 of each Gold so once they each had a certain title, the remaining quantity of that title dropped to the next tier of buyers.  I am sitting on 6 unopened boxes right now.

Its the craze now!

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2010, 07:37:47 PM »
You can't help but wonder if some kid somewhere - spoiled Johnny - got a dozen or so boxes for his birthday - got some of the more rare sketch cards and just has no idea what they are worth. Probably stuck it in the spokes of his bike so it can make that cool motoring noise. :o
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #75 on: April 18, 2010, 12:59:49 AM »
You can't help but wonder if some kid somewhere - spoiled Johnny - got a dozen or so boxes for his birthday - got some of the more rare sketch cards and just has no idea what they are worth. Probably stuck it in the spokes of his bike so it can make that cool motoring noise. :o

No, They are out there or still at Topps. I can't imagine that so many collectors would keep them sealed. The price is high now. who knows what box sales will bring in the future? even if you got $200 per box in the future why wouldn't you try to sell now? colored are going for $1200 minimum. do you really think that colored will go higher in the future? I don't think so but I also could be wrong. I say try and get you money know while the series is still so hot.

Offline Feetena

• 10....err, 9 toes in every bowl!
« Reply #76 on: April 18, 2010, 09:37:52 AM »
No, They are out there or still at Topps. I can't imagine that so many collectors would keep them sealed. The price is high now. who knows what box sales will bring in the future? even if you got $200 per box in the future why wouldn't you try to sell now? colored are going for $1200 minimum. do you really think that colored will go higher in the future? I don't think so but I also could be wrong. I say try and get you money know while the series is still so hot.
OK so I think someone's made this argument before, but I can't really reconcile how the colored sketch cards can be selling for upwards of $1200 while original rough art sells for below that.  Does that make sense or are these colored sketch cards an asset bubble? (if I may attempt to sound so topical)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 09:39:56 AM by Feetena »

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
  • Take a "BITE" out of life!
« Reply #77 on: April 18, 2010, 10:57:37 AM »
OK so I think someone's made this argument before, but I can't really reconcile how the colored sketch cards can be selling for upwards of $1200 while original rough art sells for below that.  Does that make sense or are these colored sketch cards an asset bubble? (if I may attempt to sound so topical)
That was me, it boggles my mind that people are getting theese crazy prices, I do'nt want to start a fight but very few of theese (if any) are actualy 1 of a kind pieces of art, they're "original art" no argument there, but most of them are anything but 1 of a kind some titles have 150 different variations! As you all know I'm no big proponent of the "Golds" but there were only 40 each of those, do'nt get me wrong I would rather have a nice "sketch" than a "Gold bordered" Wacky any day, but as far as rarity I believe I make a valid point! Just an observation. Hope everyone had a Wacky Weekend...RonZ 8)
"Treat others the way you like to be treated"

Offline bandaches

« Reply #78 on: April 18, 2010, 01:12:43 PM »
I again feel your premise that the colored sketches will randomly and suddenly DROP in value seems to not have a basis.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #79 on: April 18, 2010, 01:24:20 PM »
That was me, it boggles my mind that people are getting theese crazy prices, I do'nt want to start a fight but very few of theese (if any) are actualy 1 of a kind pieces of art, they're "original art" no argument there, but most of them are anything but 1 of a kind some titles have 150 different variations! As you all know I'm no big proponent of the "Golds" but there were only 40 each of those, do'nt get me wrong I would rather have a nice "sketch" than a "Gold bordered" Wacky any day, but as far as rarity I believe I make a valid point! Just an observation. Hope everyone had a Wacky Weekend...RonZ 8)
you have totally mixed up topics here.  The colored sketches ARE one of a kind and there are NOT 150 variations of colored sketches.  There ARE 150 of some titles and those sell for barely 30 dollars.  The appeal of gold titles was to get a set.  Once a person gets a set of Gold, then have no need to get repeat titles.  This is VERY different than colored sketches as they all seem to be very uniquely distinct and only a few titles have multiple color variations.

So, let's try to discuss this using some specifics, let's say someone was a gold digger and one of the highest payers out there and would pay $200 per title.  After completing the set, there is nobody left paying $200 per title so it drops to the next level of let's say $180 and as we have seen, those levels are already down to under $100 in many cases because the set collectors are done and others don't want to bother as they know they can't complete a set.

Let's say that same top end collector will pay $1200 for colored sketches.  What is the event that is suddenly making that buyer stopping the desire to have sketches?  All of the colored sketches are completely unique.  You could rationalize that maybe this person won't want two Pupsi color sketches but certainly this person would want any colored sketches for any title they don't own yet.  So, if the top end payer doesn't want the few duplicate title color sketches out there, then those could fall to the next layer but that's it for the falling.

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #80 on: April 18, 2010, 02:59:02 PM »
you have totally mixed up topics here.  The colored sketches ARE one of a kind and there are NOT 150 variations of colored sketches.  There ARE 150 of some titles and those sell for barely 30 dollars.  The appeal of gold titles was to get a set.  Once a person gets a set of Gold, then have no need to get repeat titles.  This is VERY different than colored sketches as they all seem to be very uniquely distinct and only a few titles have multiple color variations.

So, let's try to discuss this using some specifics, let's say someone was a gold digger and one of the highest payers out there and would pay $200 per title.  After completing the set, there is nobody left paying $200 per title so it drops to the next level of let's say $180 and as we have seen, those levels are already down to under $100 in many cases because the set collectors are done and others don't want to bother as they know they can't complete a set.

Let's say that same top end collector will pay $1200 for colored sketches.  What is the event that is suddenly making that buyer stopping the desire to have sketches?  All of the colored sketches are completely unique.  You could rationalize that maybe this person won't want two Pupsi color sketches but certainly this person would want any colored sketches for any title they don't own yet.  So, if the top end payer doesn't want the few duplicate title color sketches out there, then those could fall to the next layer but that's it for the falling.
That may have been a bad analogy Ernie I'll give you that, but my bigger point was that $1200+  (IMO) Is way to high, because you can buy (true) 1  of a kind art a LOT cheaper, for example just last week I got a "1 of a kind" (Jay Lynch) sketch "8x11" for the "Wacky Hackers" series for $59 that is a much more unique & bigger piece of art for the price of a common "sketch-card" an even better example would be about 2 pieces of "original art" I got less than a year ago it was the "Final Sketch & Color Rough" for (Scrawny) "91" series (John Pound) w/COA for $190 shipped! I'm sure I'm not the only one who would rather have those 2 pieces of art rather than a color (sketch-card) and it's only a fraction of the cost! I must admit I got a great deal, but even if the price were the same I would take the (91) series "original art" anyday! Just my opinion Ernie, like I said before I do'nt want to fight it's just my opinion thats all...nothing more nothing less. Hope you had a great weekend. All my WACKY best...RonZ 8)

Offline bandaches

« Reply #81 on: April 18, 2010, 03:10:16 PM »
That may have been a bad analogy Ernie I'll give you that, but my bigger point was that $1200+  (IMO) Is way to high, because you can buy (true) 1  of a kind art a LOT cheaper, for example just last week I got a "1 of a kind" (Jay Lynch) sketch "8x11" for the "Wacky Hackers" series for $59 that is a much more unique & bigger piece of art for the price of a common "sketch-card" an even better example would be about 2 pieces of "original art" I got less than a year ago it was the "Final Sketch & Color Rough" for (Scrawny) "91" series (John Pound) w/COA for $190 shipped! I'm sure I'm not the only one who would rather have those 2 pieces of art rather than a color (sketch-card) and it's only a fraction of the cost! I must admit I got a great deal, but even if the price were the same I would take the (91) series "original art" anyday! Just my opinion Ernie, like I said before I do'nt want to fight it's just my opinion thats all...nothing more nothing less. Hope you had a great weekend. All my WACKY best...RonZ 8)
I agree with you that the prices are unbelievably high, I wouldn't pay more for a colored sketch over any original painting as I have stated in Plan9's art thread.  Given that there ARE buyers paying prices that are this high, why would they suddenly stop paying those prices for pieces they don't own?  That is the question I am posing to the folks predicting this as a temporary craze.

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #82 on: April 18, 2010, 03:19:19 PM »
I agree with you that the prices are unbelievably high, I wouldn't pay more for a colored sketch over any original painting as I have stated in Plan9's art thread.  Given that there ARE buyers paying prices that are this high, why would they suddenly stop paying those prices for pieces they don't own?  That is the question I am posing to the folks predicting this as a temporary craze.
I'll give you that for sure, people are buying them left & right they are "super hot" right now, only time will tell if this trend continues, if it does I see nothing but positive exposure to our wonderful hobby! But be honest Ernie when this series first came out did you think the (color-sketches) would be fetching $1200+...I sure did'nt! :o

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #83 on: April 18, 2010, 03:21:19 PM »
I'll give you that for sure, people are buying them left & right they are "super hot" right now, only time will tell if this trend continues, if it does I see nothing but positive exposure to our wonderful hobby! But be honest Ernie when this series first came out did you think the (color-sketches) would be fetching $1200+...I sure did'nt! :o

Before they were actually released I was thinking around $250.00 for the colored ones, so I was way off the mark.  I never would have guessed $1,000.00+.  I wonder how surprised Jay is with these prices?
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #84 on: April 18, 2010, 03:27:44 PM »
Before they were actually released I was thinking around $250.00 for the colored ones, so I was way off the mark.  I never would have guessed $1,000.00+.  I wonder how surprised Jay is with these prices?
I bet he is astonished! It's kind of ashame he (Jay) did'nt get more money than he did, I do'nt know how much that was but it was obviously not enough taking into consideration what they're going for! He put a lot of hard work into the "sketch-cards" and it shows! I believe that's the main reason they're selling so well, they really are done superbly!

Offline bandaches

« Reply #85 on: April 18, 2010, 08:58:23 PM »
I thought maybe $500 so I was also way far off the mark too.  Maybe the biggest threat to these suddenly falling off in price would be the buyers just flat out running out of money.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #86 on: April 18, 2010, 09:00:28 PM »
I bet he is astonished! It's kind of ashame he (Jay) did'nt get more money than he did, I do'nt know how much that was but it was obviously not enough taking into consideration what they're going for! He put a lot of hard work into the "sketch-cards" and it shows! I believe that's the main reason they're selling so well, they really are done superbly!
Yet for some reason, his consigned sketches that are being sold into the market don't get these prices.  I guess people want stuff actually marketted as part of a wacky pack release or at least comes with a COA from toppsvault as we have seen Toppsvault sell stuff such as reissue sheets for more than double what the market would normally fetch.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: April 19, 2010, 05:39:14 AM »
Yet for some reason, his consigned sketches that are being sold into the market don't get these prices.  I guess people want stuff actually marketted as part of a wacky pack release or at least comes with a COA from toppsvault as we have seen Toppsvault sell stuff such as reissue sheets for more than double what the market would normally fetch.
I think the fact that the color sketch cards are actual Topps produced trading cards, available in regular boxes, has a lot to do with it.  Non-sports autographs can go this way, as well - a limited chase autograph trading card from an actor will sell for a lot more than a signed 8x10 photo, partly because they are much more likely to be authentic (although people have been faking these, too).  And, the nature of the set will also affect the price. 

A guaranteed one-of-a-kind card Jay Lynch Wacky color sketch that can't be faked is a great thing!  Just look at what his black & white GPK sketches are going for.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: April 19, 2010, 11:28:09 AM »
Here's a color sketch that just came out of hiding!  A true classic!!  And, the envelope was definitely sealed, for anyone keeping track.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #89 on: April 19, 2010, 12:01:55 PM »
Here's a color sketch that just came out of hiding!  A true classic!!  And, the envelope was definitely sealed, for anyone keeping track.

Did you just pull that today? How many boxes did you order?

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #90 on: April 19, 2010, 12:27:07 PM »
Did you just pull that today? How many boxes did you order?
Yep, I pulled the color Quacker about an hour ago, along with the half-wit/beanie guy that looks like a floating head (I posted that in the registry thread).  It's been a good day!!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #91 on: April 19, 2010, 12:34:53 PM »
Yep, I pulled the color Quacker about an hour ago, along with the half-wit/beanie guy that looks like a floating head (I posted that in the registry thread).  It's been a good day!!

How many boxes did you order? I got in about 30+ boxes last Friday and didn't get anything. I think I am about done ;)
Anyone pull a Pastem boy yet? I think I will buy that one if it's for sale instead of buying more boxes and hoping to pull one.

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #92 on: April 19, 2010, 05:43:06 PM »

That's the one that I wanted more than anything! It was my late Fathers (Pops) absoloute favorite! I recently aquired the "Quaker" (chalk bank) on ebay for $7! :o Anyway great pull! Congratulations are in order, I must admit I'm jealous...I really wanted that one. Have a great nite...RonZ 8)

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: April 19, 2010, 05:54:16 PM »
That's the one that I wanted more than anything! It was my late Fathers (Pops) absoloute favorite! I recently aquired the "Quaker" (chalk bank) on ebay for $7! :o Anyway great pull! Congratulations are in order, I must admit I'm jealous...I really wanted that one. Have a great nite...RonZ 8)

Thanks Ron!  Funny, I also just acquired the Quacker bank.  The color sketch I wanted most was Cap'n Crud, preferably the one that says "This Crud's for you."  The Quacker is really cool though, and it's an original series 1 title, one of the few I had from that series.  I'm thrilled, and shocked beyond belief!

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #94 on: April 19, 2010, 06:37:31 PM »
Thanks Ron!  Funny, I also just acquired the Quacker bank.  The color sketch I wanted most was Cap'n Crud, preferably the one that says "This Crud's for you."  The Quacker is really cool though, and it's an original series 1 title, one of the few I had from that series.  I'm thrilled, and shocked beyond belief!
The "Cap'n Crud" is probably my 2nd favorite! Kind of ironic :^)

Offline Playskull

« Reply #95 on: April 20, 2010, 06:28:06 AM »

Pat,

Congratulations on an awesome pull!  That's a beauty!  Perhaps you can somehow parlay that into the Crud sketch you've been wanting!  When I see something like this, it makes me wish I had the stomach to buy more Old School boxes. 

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
« Reply #96 on: April 20, 2010, 04:56:34 PM »
I probably should have posted this sooner.   Tonight is the night of the big consciousness transmission experiment.  I need a few thousand people to take part in it at 11:00 pm tonight.   The sketch cards paid for my food and bills while I was on the road...so I don't care what they sell for on ebay.  The more they're worth the better.  It just goes to elevate the general value of my other original art.  But all that is not important.  The following is important, though...so please read.

I probably should have posted this earlier.  The experiment is only a few hours away.  But all you forum members....Please help me on this.

OK. Trust me on this one. I need a ton of money. So do you , probably. But first we'll work on my specific need for dough, and then we will work on yours.
Princeton University's Global Consciousness Project is of interest to me. Here is the link http://noosphere.princeton.edu/
Alright then. There are a few hundred of you out there. I have purchased a lottery ticket for tonight, Tuesday, April 20th, 2010. This is a MegaMillions ticket. The drawing will be held April 20th at 11 p.m. Eastern Standard Time at the studios of WSB-TV in Atlanta Georgia.
Print out this box here. If you're in the central time zone, it's 10pm. If you're in Pacific time zone it's 8 pm. At exactly the time of the drawing, I want you to concentrate on my numbers! I want you to send these numbers telapathicly to Atlanta! I want you to visualize the WSB-TV studios....and transmit those numbers to them! Here are my numbers 7 9 24 34 38 12 Print this out.  Set an alarm clock so you don't miss it. Don't disappoint me on this. I need dentures...and I need 'em now!

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #97 on: April 20, 2010, 07:30:47 PM »
I probably should have posted this sooner.   Tonight is the night of the big consciousness transmission experiment.  I need a few thousand people to take part in it at 11:00 pm tonight.   The sketch cards paid for my food and bills while I was on the road...so I don't care what they sell for on ebay.  The more they're worth the better.  It just goes to elevate the general value of my other original art.  But all that is not important.  The following is important, though...so please read.

I probably should have posted this earlier.  The experiment is only a few hours away.  But all you forum members....Please help me on this.

OK. Trust me on this one. I need a ton of money. So do you , probably. But first we'll work on my specific need for dough, and then we will work on yours.
Princeton University's Global Consciousness Project is of interest to me. Here is the link http://noosphere.princeton.edu/
Alright then. There are a few hundred of you out there. I have purchased a lottery ticket for tonight, Tuesday, April 20th, 2010. This is a MegaMillions ticket. The drawing will be held April 20th at 11 p.m. Eastern Standard Time at the studios of WSB-TV in Atlanta Georgia.
Print out this box here. If you're in the central time zone, it's 10pm. If you're in Pacific time zone it's 8 pm. At exactly the time of the drawing, I want you to concentrate on my numbers! I want you to send these numbers telapathicly to Atlanta! I want you to visualize the WSB-TV studios....and transmit those numbers to them! Here are my numbers 7 9 24 34 38 12 Print this out.  Set an alarm clock so you don't miss it. Don't disappoint me on this. I need dentures...and I need 'em now!

Hey Jay, I'm in. I just read this at 10:29pm. I'll help ya out - why not? I got nothing to lose and I'm glad to help out, next I'll be my turn. 8)
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #98 on: April 20, 2010, 07:36:28 PM »
I'm in too, rooting for you Jay!

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #99 on: April 20, 2010, 07:45:36 PM »

That is just incredibly beautiful to see Pat -- congrats!!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #100 on: April 20, 2010, 08:13:26 PM »
Did it work?

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
« Reply #101 on: April 20, 2010, 08:47:17 PM »
I won't know until it's posted in a couple of hours.

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #102 on: April 21, 2010, 06:40:14 AM »
4/20/2010       5, 8, 10, 34, 42 Mega Ball = 25

well, we got 1 number for you. With a few more people, maybe we can get them all...

Offline jeffcaff

where are the color sketches hiding? Ono
« Reply #103 on: April 24, 2010, 03:02:11 PM »
Here's the Ono Sketch for the database.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Re: where are the color sketches hiding? Ono
« Reply #104 on: April 24, 2010, 03:58:57 PM »
Here's the Ono Sketch for the database.
Do you still have the card or did you sell it? It's a beaut!

anything